996 GT3 Purchase

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

That photo would have been taken at our 70th anniversary display in Hobart, pretty sure that is the car, as us northerners stayed together, and I'm pretty sure he took that car down.  However, we have 2 red cars up here, within 15 kms of each other, so could be the other one too.  Did you take the photo Symsy (or is it one I have posted before???)?  If so, did you have one showing the number plate?  Once this one sells, we'll be down to one 😞 

This is it yes .... ... I didn't take em , from another source 

Both Tas RS 's had a little bingle at some point like most of these cars , they either become garage queens or occasionally kiss a little wall somewhere .. nothing to be afraid off.. they are tough tough cars

I know they both has a small fortune spent on em getting repaired which may have been overkill

What is it with you tassie drivers and bending cars 😁

GT3_02.jpg

1 minute ago, symsy said:

Both Tas RS 's had a little bingle at some point like most of these cars , they either become garage queens or occasionally kiss a little wall somewhere .. nothing to be afraid off.. they are tough tough cars

I know they both has a small fortune spent on em getting repaired which may have been overkill

And there you go a strong start at 170k ... they could be 270k car depends how it fits your needs ... Covid has been pushing prices and I think its a 225-245 car .. but would hope that someone gets it cheaper , its a good thing for whomever gets it .. its just sits in the funny basket with the road registration restriction.. as I said , near a cup car but not quite , way more scarce than a normal roadie.. a very hard one to pick. 

What is it with you tassie drivers and bending cars 😁 Is that you in the background with your new hairstyle 

GT3_02.jpg

12 minutes ago, symsy said:

What is it with you tassie drivers and bending cars 😁

GT3_02.jpg

Ha, yes, that is definitely the car that is for sale, and to top it off, that's my wife in her old 987 behind in the photo 🙂 

I honestly don't know whether this one has had any bingles - certainly none that I know of, it was imported in 2010.  The other red RS's prior owner was a fairly serious racer / road rally punter so that one quite possibly has had some damage - his son has written off a couple of Porsches in Targa Tas along the way

2 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Ha, yes, that is definitely the car that is for sale, and to top it off, that's my wife in her old 987 behind in the photo 🙂 

I got me my spys   ... love it .. did she catch him.... he had that car for a long time , its gotta be solid thing ...

4 minutes ago, symsy said:

I got me my spys   ... love it .. did she catch him.... he had that car for a long time , its gotta be solid thing ...

Parade laps of Baskerville only 😉 

15 minutes ago, symsy said:

Both Tas RS 's had a little bingle at some point like most of these cars , they either become garage queens 

Apart from the blue car, we quite regularly saw the red cars on our Northern runs over the last few years, sometimes both on the same run, so they certainly haven't just been stuck in the garage 🙂 Both owners have other P cars they can drive, but we're fortunate that they chose to drive these 🙂

8 hours ago, symsy said:

An RS is an RS buddy ...  Thats not high mileage 

Out of  the RS tassie cars .. .. blue was the pick though .  Im surprised they haven't been snapped up some time ago ...

I wonder when will the Aussie delivered premium ever die ? Seems like a big premium for something that you will spank on the track.

Is a car that can go on rally rego .. really worth having over a Cup car , unless your taking it back to the UK?

GT3_01.png

None of these will ever be spanked on the track I'll bet you.  If you want to talk premiums, with a car that will be driven / tracked why bother with an RS?  Simply get yourself a GT3, single mass flywheel and a low diff.  Same same unless you're into the stickers and coloured wheels.  Of course if investment is the game then that's different and I've got no idea about that as I'm only interested in cars that are to be driven hard.

7 minutes ago, edgy said:

What is the wager for said bet? 

No wager.  But why on earth would you track a 996 GT3 RS considering they don't drive any differently to the standard car with some very minor mods, and they cost over double, and they are an investor car?

6 minutes ago, Pork Chops said:

No wager.  But why on earth would you track a 996 GT3 RS considering they don't drive any differently to the standard car with some very minor mods, and they cost over double, and they are an investor car?

Cost aside... It’s built for the job? 

it’s more than very minor mods too... the HP is up, the weight is down, the suspension geometry and hub carriers etc are right off the RSR and so on. 

I don’t think anyone would argue that you can achieve the same performance in the base GT3, but there’s just something special about the RS being the pinnacle of 911 and GT3 from the factory... greater than the sum of its parts. 

By the same argument I guess we could contest the fact a cup is cheaper and faster... different stroke for different folks! 

48 minutes ago, Pork Chops said:

Same same unless you're into the stickers and coloured wheels.

It's lot's more than just this.

18 minutes ago, edgy said:

greater than the sum of its parts. 

+1

It's Mabo, It's all about the Vibe. 

https://www.pickles.com.au/cars/item/-/details/C2004--Porsche--911--996-MY04-GT3-RS--Coupe--2-Seats--2-Doors/302143099

... Scrambling to find login & password  😍

12 minutes ago, luzzo said:

It's lot's more than just this.

+1

It's Mabo, It's all about the Vibe. 

https://www.pickles.com.au/cars/item/-/details/C2004--Porsche--911--996-MY04-GT3-RS--Coupe--2-Seats--2-Doors/302143099

Still only 1 bid.  Are you intending to bid Luzzo?

1 hour ago, Pork Chops said:

None of these will ever be spanked on the track I'll bet you.  If you want to talk premiums, with a car that will be driven / tracked why bother with an RS?  Simply get yourself a GT3, single mass flywheel and a low diff.  Same same unless you're into the stickers and coloured wheels.  Of course if investment is the game then that's different and I've got no idea about that as I'm only interested in cars that are to be driven hard.

Well I have had mine on the track, it was amazing and definitely a better drive than a std GT3. There was a $50K difference in price when new, you would need to spend all of that and a bit more to match the performance. They are quicker than what is published - I can assure you.

I can account for a few of these cars that have had regular track work. Not so much in the last couple of years, but I would still track mine.

Whats the point of having it and not using it.

If I had the $$ - and was in the market  I would pay the premium again on a 997

58 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Geez I just clicked the link and saw $170k and thought faaaark I need to place a bid.  But Hugh lives not far from me and wouldn’t we look like complete wankers, parked nose to tail in matching red RS for brekky 😂😂. I’d at least need a blue one 🤔

FFEBD08A-2C9A-4DB2-AFE6-7B28DDEB1368.jpeg

I guess my overall point is they are massively more expensive over the standard GT3 and in reality offer very little points of difference in how they drive. So if you want to spank something at the track why do it to an RS, with the prospect of binning it or devaluing it (remember Porsche guys have the Madonna whore complex when it comes to sports cars). They are for cars and coffee, and collecting IMHO.

If an RS floats your boat then go for it, but I can’t see them, on average, being used in what I call a proper manner. Economics and common sense dictates.

5 minutes ago, Pork Chops said:

I guess my overall point is they are massively more expensive over the standard GT3 and in reality offer very little points of difference in how they drive. So if you want to spank something at the track why do it to an RS, with the prospect of binning it or devaluing it (remember Porsche guys have the Madonna whore complex when it comes to sports cars). They are for cars and coffee, and collecting IMHO.

If an RS floats your boat then go for it, but I can’t see them, on average, being used in what I call a proper manner. Economics and common sense dictates.

Too true, cars and coffee

Im just off for a latte in the 997 .... I just don't get this road going GT3 thing , its too  fricken too hard to reach those cupholders when your are harnessed in.. 

Anyway back to the Auction.. and the the psychology of bidding , I wonder why would you put in a $500 bid at this stage ??  Is it to say "Im here"

Surely if you are a serious bidder you would smash 5k to show you can afford the tyres 

I would be having a cringe if I was the seller or the auctioneer.....   Getting down to the pocket change already..  

Maybe I should revise my  estimate 200-210.. that's a lot of bids from this point