996 GT3 Purchase

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

A truck? 😉

I'll leave now

Guess I deserved that 😆

10 hours ago, DJM said:

I love the look of E88s but didn’t realise they were so fragile

That’s surprising. All I’ve heard about E88 is that they’re bulletproof. They’re certainly not light weight. The ring is probably quite a bit harsher on wheels than other circuits though.

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Another new one, well priced I would say, also has the console "add" option.  Suspect won;t last long...  And a good colour 😉

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-911-1999/sse-ad-6877712/?utm_campaign=search-alert&utm_source=notification-center&utm_medium=email&csn_atid=39203fc7-3447-41e6-b5c2-167c5ba6a896

With VIN ending in 0241 = the earliest Aus delivered 996 GT3 I have seen for sale. p.s front console option is 581👍

Hi To the Brains trust, I have a mate who is looking to purchase a MK1 GT3 CS. So the old story of official import numbers came up.

Those who follow will know I have long disputed the PCA mix of CS to Comfort.

So he reached out through his connections and ended up with some numbers which reflect what my 10 + years of market watching seem to validate 

MK1 GT3 - 90 units in total

Comfort 48

Club Sport 42 - 14 = 28 road cars

- 14 = CS road cars were converted for Nations Cup, Porsche Cup

The source was out of PCM

Who agrees or disagrees- pretty keen to nail this one.

I’ve watched this thread with interest for a while especially since securing my GT3

I guess the question is ... how many M003 cars were delivered ?

My ex-Peter Fitzgerald is listed as an M003 on its build sheet / Kardex along with a few other options including air-conditioning and “SPC” special paint. Straightforward. 

... I’ve been also researching some Mk1 chassis numbers/ options and nations cup cars ... and for example I have one on my small ex- Nations Cup list that wasn’t ex-factory M003 (according to build sheet)  ... but did race and race successfully 

So -  to be a true CS does it have to be M003 ?

Where do the “converted” N-Cup cars fit in ? 

Cheers Stewart 

@Jason A for years I’ve thought the same thing. The CS cars just don’t come up as much. An unmodified clubsport seems to be a very rare thing. If 28 road cars remained from the initial delivery. Over the years how many were turned in to rally and club cars? Then you have to talk about how many have been written off...

Hi Stewart Take your vin number and ask Porsche Centre to search and validate. I would be surprised if your cars is not a CS. It was a no cost option and gave all the bits you needed to go racing. If your seats are the original ones in the car, you only got nomex seats in the CS + engine kill switch etc.

50 minutes ago, 1st said:

I’ve watched this thread with interest for a while especially since securing my GT3

I guess the question is ... how many M003 cars were delivered ?

My ex-Peter Fitzgerald is listed as an M003 on its build sheet / Kardex along with a few other options including air-conditioning and “SPC” special paint. Straightforward. 

... I’ve been also researching some Mk1 chassis numbers/ options and nations cup cars ... and for example I have one in the list that wasn’t ex-factory M003 (according to build sheet)  ... but did race and race successfully 

So -  to be a true CS does it have to be M003 ?

Where do the “converted” N-Cup cars fit in ? 

Cheers Stewart 

The nations cup cars were just road going GT3’s that got heavily modified. I think the main reason they would have chosen the M003 was for the lightweight flywheel and the electrical cutoff switch. All of which ultimately got changed in the long run anyway.

8 minutes ago, RwGreeny said:

@Jason A for years I’ve thought the same thing. The CS cars just don’t come up as much. An unmodified clubsport seems to be a very rare thing. If 28 road cars remained from the initial delivery. Over the years how many were turned in to rally and club cars? Then you have to talk about how many have been written off...

@RwGreeny I agree, if you have a MK1 with extinguisher, full kill switch, no airbags in door trims (ducking for cover now) the optional full cage - rear is std, nomex seats, std front brake calipers - not the upgraded MK2 units - because the std ones are inadequate for decent track work, single mass flywheel - in reasonable condition - you almost have a unicorn IMO

Might need @James P and others help here, so the ones that were written of, I will start 

1 x Warwick Fabrics MK1, was silver I think?

1 minute ago, Jason A said:

@RwGreeny I agree, if you have a MK1 with extinguisher, full kill switch, no airbags in door trims (ducking for cover now) the optional full cage - rear is std, nomex seats, std front brake calipers - not the upgraded MK2 units - because the std ones are inadequate for decent track work - in reasonable condition - you almost have a unicorn IMO

That is exactly what I’ve got. And the reason I bought it was for literally every reason you have listed above. When it came up for sale I could only recall ever seeing one other car that was original and unmodified. And that car was Rusty’s brand new one that he’s had squirrelled away for nearly two decades