996 GT3 Purchase

1 hour ago, wilson59 said:

Yep price of entry is expensive but price of exit is exceptional. I look at these cars being virtually free to own as long as you can pony up the entry fee to start with .

I have owned 3 GT3 cars now all of different series if I choose to tap out now none of them would have cost me a cent .
Money well spent IMO . 

I’m with you mate, on my 3rd GT3 now, the previous 2 were good ownership propositions (running & discretional costs aside), not foolish (Ballsy) enough to buy a 991 yet, so went back to 996 😂

13 hours ago, Cam Arnott said:

Unfortunately given that the price of entry is well into 6 figures, collectability and value are very real things to most people looking to invest that sort of money into a toy. Its all relative I guess depending on your own financial situation 😉

Yeah I get that.  A mega rich guy is going to care less about it.  But depreciation is a part of owning any car and frankly deciding on affordability based on zero or negative depreciation is a rare luxury and an absolute bonus.  My main point is they're beautiful sports cars that were designed to be driven hard and enjoyed.  But far too often the focus is value and collecting which IMHO is a malaise.

The pool of car enthusiasts that buy a car specifically for its performance, and plan (and have the skill to) extract that performance, is pretty limited in my experience. As the cars get faster, fancier and more expensive, they far exceed what a most people can manage in a public road setting and unfortunately many are just too damn scared to take them to a track. 

The net result is a growing sector of garage queens. Not too dissimilar to the guy who spends up buying all of the best sports gear, gym equipment, shoes, bikes etc. and can barely run 1km or lift 100 grams. It's all part of chasing the dream, shame that sometimes the reality isn't what some people thought it would be.

Truth is that many of these people would be just as happy in a Boxster, Cayman etc. in terms of their relative comfort around speed and getting a little driving thrill. But ego and emotions take hold and well, one thing leads to another. Many worse things to spend your $$$ on though. GT3 is probably one of the better ways to enjoy a mid life crisis. 

After reading this thread of late I feel I need to do the walk of shame and join a group of people slumped in their chairs in a circle, in a dimly lit room and announce  'Hi everyone, my name is Rick', to which a gruff looking facilitator calmly says.  'Welcome Rick, what are you here for today?'. 

I nervously reply with a quivering voice ..... 'I own a GT3 which I haven't tracked  - I obviously need help!'      .... then of course I'd breakdown into a flood of tears (like someone who doesn't track their GT3 typically would).

2 minutes ago, Rick V said:

After reading this thread of late I feel I need to do the walk of shame and join a group of people slumped in their chairs in a circle, in a dimly lit room and announce  'Hi everyone, my name is Rick', to which a gruff looking facilitator calmly says.  'Welcome Rick, what are you here for today?'. 

I nervously reply with a quivering voice ..... 'I own a GT3 which I haven't tracked  - I obviously need help!'      .... then of course I'd breakdown into a flood of tears (like someone who doesn't track their GT3 typically would).

Which group are you attending ? I have not tracked my Gt3 or Mid Life crisis ?

15 minutes ago, Rick V said:

.... then of course I'd breakdown into a flood of tears (like someone who doesn't track their GT3 typically would).

😂 

Tear the band aid off I say! 

13 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

Surely GT3 has no correlation to mid life crisis? Serious question; what is the average age of owners? 

12 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

"Garage queens anonymous" It's full of wealthy guys in jeans and runners, Jerry Seinfeld types. In fact, I'm pretty sure he is the principal. 

2 minutes ago, Rick V said:

Yeah, pretty sure that I'm a contender for both groups too - I suspect they're in adjoining halls....... possibly with a 'two for one' pricing model.

+  coupon for a Bunnings snag. 

5 minutes ago, edgy said:

Surely GT3 has no correlation to mid life crisis? Serious question; what is the average age of owners? 

Is the answer "balding"?

36 minutes ago, Rick V said:

The Gruff looking facilitator of your group looks alright 

mid life crisis.jpg

29 minutes ago, edgy said:

mid 59 when I got my yellow LHD, then just turned 60 when I got the silver road car........  Still have full head of hair, even though it be almost all grey....🙂 

47 minutes ago, hugh said:

+  coupon for a Bunnings snag. 

Photos of said bunnings snag? Onions on top I hope... 

48 minutes ago, hugh said:

Is the answer "balding"?

Ha! Whilst I am the complete opposite of that, I do know a few dudes.. hmm 😜 

26 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

mid 59 when I got my yellow LHD, then just turned 60 when I got the silver road car........  Still have full head of hair, even though it be almost all grey....🙂 

just rolled 37, plenty of hair, who am I kidding? I look like a bloody hippie OR a barista at the moment, I am willing to trade baldness for grey any day! So far, so good, I have only spotted one grey recently, he was forcefully removed from the party! 

1 minute ago, edgy said:

just rolled 37, plenty of hair, who am I kidding? I look like a bloody hippie OR a barista at the moment, I am willing to trade baldness for grey any day! So far, so good, I have only spotted one grey recently, he was forcefully removed from the party! 

Young whippersnapper......

Bugger me - you young snot rags are barely wet behind the ears - makes me feel like I belong to the Pre Cambrian era...

I'm 74 next month but seeing as I don't own a GT3 anymore, it doesn't count - recently got a GT4 for wrinklies like me. And you know what - I don't give a monkeys toss what people think about me with my PSE on and the Sport button switched to big blips on the down change. 

Age isn't everything to do withdriving - some of these 50 year old geriatrics should get a life instead of dawdling around at sub 50km/hr  in their Prius - while I've got a license I'll drive a GT car until I get really old...😛

4 hours ago, Rick V said:

Yeah, pretty sure that I'm a contender for both groups too - I suspect they're in adjoining halls....... possibly with a 'two for one' pricing model.

Theres a track day at The Bend on Friday mate. 

Off ya go! 👍

4 hours ago, wilson59 said:

The Gruff looking facilitator of your group looks alright 

mid life crisis.jpg

Thought you'd never owned a Ferrari? 😳

4 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Young whippersnapper......

I guess at 39 I fall into this category. I’m also known to have a few garage queens, but one day I’ll be like you old fellas with ‘not much else to do’ and I’ll put some k’s on them all, I promise 🤣