996 GT3 Purchase

Just come back from an EMR with 2 GT3RS's (made up 1/3 of the numbers!!!!)  Rest of us had a pretty comfortable drive over some country roads, although they were a little damp.  All the RS owners did was complain about how uncomfortable their cars were!!!  :lol::lol:

3 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Just come back from an EMR with 2 GT3RS's (made up 1/3 of the numbers!!!!)  Rest of us had a pretty comfortable drive over some country roads, although they were a little damp.  All the RS owners did was complain about how uncomfortable their cars were!!!  :lol::lol:

Easy fix for that, 996 turbo :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Fraz said:

Easy fix for that, 996 turbo:ph34r:

Me thinks not quite that easy fix  and you left off some important OTTT  (over the top tweeking to some  or  essential tweaking as I  see it) that needs doing on a stock 996tt before its really  road worthy and worth comparing against. I'm biased but got to be the best P  platform if your into modding for the greatest bang for buck and it involves raiding bits off a 996 gt3.

Ideally as and end goal,  need  more air cooling  to the watercooled  mezger to get the best out of it and that involves moving away from stock snails just a bit.  Rumour is if you raid some bits off a 997gt2rs ( compressor wheels, intercoolers and clutch bits) and add 80% more boost and a  shit load of factory ancilliary  genuine p preventative maintenance  bits  (more boost and old rubber and valves  aint a happy marriage based on my experience) you can get the mezger firing on all six cylinders from  1XXX rpm instead of 8000rpm. (Very comfy with awd and traction button  when it's damp and a  more useful power band for country roads that aren't straight.

Replace 15 year old key factory suspension bits with  pss10 or ohlins R&T coilovers and add gt3 lca's  and  some adjustable rear links  and introduce 996gt3  shims and you may get a  decent improvement and adjustability suspension wise. eg gets you closer to a gt3 in the handling department but still keeps it a bit comfy by  turning some dials if needed. Rear adjustable gt3 sway bars are cheap as well and helps hunker down the rear.

What's so special about gt3rs brakes if your not into ceramics that circa 4500usd (genuine 350 factory front  yellows calipers with 996 part numbering )and being very very patient can't close the gap on compared to 330mm stock turbo red calipers.

Got to get those exhaust gases out quicker eg factory engineers have handcuffs on.  E.g. Klines aren't that bad with different cats from experience and I hear Europipes( quiet)  arent bad. Plus   what's 10% more crosssectional area worth to you if you port out the factory exhaust manifold  welds on a boosted car.

Any one seen the inlet piping near the inlet plenum on a 996 turbo.  Apparently inlet piping if it can be addressed along with the right tuner paired with the right the snails  is a big part of the equation to get low down spool at 1XXX rpm.  

Fraz, you driven a stock 996tt yet.  Reckon your at  about 65% there on the above tweaks.  Not exactly stock  (covered all the essential tweeking on a budget) and  no need to go OTTT. Just missing the spoolup from 1XXX and that's a long and slippery sloping road  to climb. 

PS Avoid driving a stock one  as you will be disappointed.

May I suggest you include the word "tweaked" to  996 turbo.  I reckon if you did a poll on tweaked 996 owners who started with  or drove a stock one and asked them would they go back to stock, the answer is NFW unless they were going to sell. The boltons (raiding parts from  964 rs to 996 gt3 to 997gt2rs and other bits  ) and tuning can make a big difference once behind the wheel. 

But a tweaked  996 turbo aint no gt3rs when it comes to offloading if you into the caring about depreciation/ potential dollar appreciation where comfy doesn't come into it. But on the flip side entry level into a 996 turbo even tweaked is closer to 100k than 200k compared to a gt3rs.  

@ jason A what's the 996 part number on the slide in cushions for a gt3rs.  Do they fit  on  the stock 996 turbo comfy seats.

23 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

What he said , no soy , no decaf , no extra foam, no chocolate , no milk, oh and with an extra shot

Oh and sticker that says I have very very large bolsters.

Nice thread take over gents.. thinks.. you are both full of hot air ;)

On 16/03/2018 at 8:22 PM, Jason A said:

Well @hugh?? Sold and if so what is next

22 hours ago, 901er said:

Seeing as he is avoiding this question, I'm going to go with 'withdrawn for now' 

It has been put on hold due to a buyer but the deal is yet to be finalised. It may end up getting relisted or I might decide to finally get my E88's finished and enjoy it for a bit longer! :rolleyes::D

9 hours ago, hugh said:

It has been put on hold due to a buyer but the deal is yet to be finalised. It may end up getting relisted or I might decide to finally get my E88's finished and enjoy it for a bit longer! :rolleyes::D

Hi Hugh you should keep your car, you will look back and regret selling it. These cars are an important part of Porsche history.

The very last analogue car Porsche built - with a 964 Crankcase and quite a few 993 parts on it. Built in the Motorsport department - helped turn around their predicament - both in winning and profit.

In the scheme of things, very small production numbers compared to any non RS air cooled car.

If you don’t have to sell it, keep it

Juat my 2 cents worth 

10 hours ago, hugh said:

Go cup car centre locks I have a spare set of 996 BBS cup car wheels :D

Hi James P, talking about cup cars, I've been seriously looking at getting behind the wheel of a 996 GT3 Cup Car so I can go have some fun with the PCV boys. Have been running the 370Z at mainly MSCA sprint events since 2010 so time for a change (I'm convincing myself).  Most of the 996 GT3's cars that come along seem to be MK 2's.  There are currently 3 on My105, one in Brisbane and 2 in Melbourne ranging in price from $55K to $78K.  Clearly these cars have been raced hard over the last 15 years or so and some maintained better than others.  Is there such a thing as a good one?   My sense is you'd want to drive it on track first if you were a serious buyer.  Is this even possible?   As you have some experience here how would you approach buying one of these cars?

1 hour ago, On the Limit said:

Hi James P, talking about cup cars, I've been seriously looking at getting behind the wheel of a 996 GT3 Cup Car so I can go have some fun with the PCV boys. Have been running the 370Z at mainly MSCA sprint events since 2010 so time for a change (I'm convincing myself).  Most of the 996 GT3's cars that come along seem to be MK 2's.  There are currently 3 on My105, one in Brisbane and 2 in Melbourne ranging in price from $55K to $78K.  Clearly these cars have been raced hard over the last 15 years or so and some maintained better than others.  Is there such a thing as a good one?   My sense is you'd want to drive it on track first if you were a serious buyer.  Is this even possible?   As you have some experience here how would you approach buying one of these cars?

Pretty much anything you want to know about cup ownership can be found first hand from owners here -> https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cup-cars-151/ 

If you will not maintain it yourself, talk to some local shops who can and will do it for you... 

2 hours ago, On the Limit said:

They have all been raced hard, most have been crashed more than once. Virgin cars are a needle in a hay stack (but they do exist  - see James' thread). It's slim pickings in Aus as not many came here to begin with and there aren't many 996. So you have to lower your expectations a bit if you want one. What im getting at is you have to look at a race car with different goggles to a street car, they generally aren't as pretty around the edges. That's not to say you have to buy a dog. Get cosy with a shop you trust and start asking questions on what to look for. Once you know what to look for you can be more confident about having one inspected by a shop with experience in looking after cup cars. A track test before buying is very rare.

5 hours ago, On the Limit said:

The guys above have answered it... the reason you will only see mk2 cups around is all the mk1's were updated to mk2 specs back then to make them competitive 

My best advice would be talk to the seller talk to your preferred shop about running & maintenance costs etc.. & get a PPI.. its not that much different to buying any road car... 

If the car needs work factor that in.. & don't be fussy about the look of them car they are all rough to a certain degree (apart from my one :D)

Expect to pay 997 Cup prices for a 996 Cup now days 

7 hours ago, On the Limit said:

Thanks, the one I was particularly interested in is the Ex Glenfords car that was very competitive in its time.

Glenfords Tools.jpg

This one is en-route to SA... 

4 hours ago, edgy said:

I’ve been into a road car box... it’s all scary really! :lol:

I can vouch for that, not much fun :Sweating: