996 GT3 Purchase

996.2 GT3 listed  today, quoted as Clubsport (no 003 option listed) but is a well equipped Touring with Clubsport roll cage and aftermarket shift light fitted at some point, listed @  $168,880.  Appears to have been an SA car in it's past, therefore was this a forum members (spiller) car previously? 

2003 Porsche 911 GT3 996 Manual MY04

On 26/02/2018 at 9:21 AM, Windsor289 said:

996.2 GT3 listed  today, quoted as Clubsport (no 003 option listed) but is a well equipped Touring with Clubsport roll cage and aftermarket shift light fitted at some point, listed @  $168,880.  Appears to have been an SA car in it's past, therefore was this a forum members (spiller) car previously? 

Not mine. Although very similar spec with the white gauges, mine had guards red seatbelts and a brushed stainless cage. Still in contact with the new owner and he’s loving it

On 17/02/2018 at 9:53 AM, James P said:

The 996 cup & 997 GT3 are about the same cost to maintain if used in the same way i.e 100% track time in my case, the main running costs are tyres, disks, pads, brake fluid, oil & fuel, here is what i have paid recently as they are the same parts for both cars 

Tyres: Cup slicks Hankook set $2100. GT3 Yokohama A050 set $2600 i think?

Disks: Fronts $440 for the pair.. yes thats $440 AUD for 2 front disks they are DBA motorsport disks for a Cayenne 

Pads: Front & rear set $750 Ferodo's from the UK

Brake fluid: Castrol SRF $130 for 1 liter  

Oil filter: $30 to $40 

Castrol 10w 60 oil: $75 each you need 2 for a change & i change it every 200km or every second track day in the Cup Car (change it every 5 track days in the 997 GT3) 

I do all the minor work my self thats what i enjoy (anything big I'm lucky i have friends that are ex Porsche motorsport mechanics with hoists)

The 996 GT3 will be about the same cost 

@James P that’s a very interesting comparison. How long are the Hankooks lasting you? I hear the Pirellis last quite a bit longer but 3 grand a set is hard to stomach. Please also tell me where you get your $440 rotors from (if you don’t mind sharing!)

8 hours ago, spiller said:

Not mine. Although very similar spec with the white gauges, mine had guards red seatbelts and a brushed stainless cage. Still in contact with the new owner and he’s loving it

@James P that’s a very interesting comparison. How long are the Hankooks lasting you? I hear the Pirellis last quite a bit longer but 3 grand a set is hard to stomach. Please also tell me where you get your $440 rotors from (if you don’t mind sharing!)

I only do about 5 track days a year & the Hankook's last that easy but I'm not the limit.. the rotors are made by DBA for a cayenne/Q7 here is the link https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/dba-dba42246s the down side is they are 1kg heavier & your wheel will sit 1mm further out as the hat is 1mm thicker,  you will also have to drill the 5 wheel nut holes 1mm larger to 16.5mm to fit the 996 cup's hub locators, for track days they are fine & plenty of guys in the U.S. are using them 

3 hours ago, James P said:

I only do about 5 track days a year & the Hankook's last that easy but I'm not the limit.. the rotors are made by DBA for a cayenne/Q7 here is the link https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/dba-dba42246s the down side is they are 1kg heavier & your wheel will sit 1mm further out as the hat is 1mm thicker,  you will also have to drill the 5 wheel nut holes 1mm larger to 16.5mm to fit the 996 cup's hub locators, for track days they are fine & plenty of guys in the U.S. are using them 

That's very good longevity from the Hankooks considering their cost compared to others. Thanks for the link for the DBA rotors. Those would still be a step up from the factory drilled cup rotors despite their weight.