52 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I’m in the UK at the moment. The availability and prices do seem to be good here. I’ve ‘accidentally’ collected a 964 C2 and a C4 in the last few months and I’m pleased with both. 

Just wondered did you buy from dealers or private sales?

The advantage of uk cars if you can find a good one is the interiors are usually in good shape because of the lack of UV and general humidity levels.  So if you can find a good uk car that was a sunny Sunday driver could be good.   Just don’t buy one sight unseen.

16 hours ago, Coastr said:

I don’t see why hk cars would be considered a rust hazard.  It’s not like they salt the roads, and yes the city is on the ocean but then so is Sydney and half the Australian population.  Japanese imports would be riskier as they do have lots of roads that get salted.  The uk risk is rot from underneath - every time I watch an old wheeler dealers episode I get appalled at the condition of the suspension on some of the uk cars.

Good point re HK cars.....just urban myth then? It can get humid in HK especially in the warmer seasons but that doesn't equate to rust does it?

14 hours ago, Pilko said:

I’m in the UK at the moment. The availability and prices do seem to be good here. I’ve ‘accidentally’ collected a 964 C2 and a C4 in the last few months and I’m pleased with both. 

Are you planning on bringing them back when you return to Oz?

UK has a much bigger availability of all 911 models, much lower prices compared with Oz. Probably due to their much larger population 

18 hours ago, Coastr said:

I don’t see why hk cars would be considered a rust hazard.  It’s not like they salt the roads, and yes the city is on the ocean but then so is Sydney and half the Australian population.  Japanese imports would be riskier as they do have lots of roads that get salted.  The uk risk is rot from underneath - every time I watch an old wheeler dealers episode I get appalled at the condition of the suspension on some of the uk cars.

Nah - HK cars do rust. I had a Mercedes for a few years ex HK & that had rust in places where local cars are good.

It gets very wet there with storms and they dont drive their cars very far - so my theory was that they just stay damp. 

7 hours ago, Coastr said:

Good theory on HK cars, humidity and proximity to ocean- about the same as a Gold Coast car probably.  Although I would expect all HK cars get sorted i garages as street parking is not abundant.  

QFT.

also if you can afford a 911 in HK you will likely be of the financial means to have a covered car bay or garage for your car or storage facility

On 07/08/2022 at 21:38, 911virgin said:

Are you planning on bringing them back when you return to Oz?

UK has a much bigger availability of all 911 models, much lower prices compared with Oz. Probably due to their much larger population 

One is going to Singer (turbo study) and the other is my ‘project’ here. I was surprised how much choice there is here compared to Aus!

Edited by Pilko

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Rerve said:

A penny for people's thoughts on this?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1990-porsche-911-carrera-4-964-manual-awd/OAG-AD-21118860

Half contemplating switching out of my 997.1 for it. Thought probably not a good time to try and sell a black 997. They're everywhere.

Why do you want to switch your 997.1? Is yours a manual?

Why don't you test drive the 964 first and see if you actually like the drive?

I think the seller is RSR carsales James papas, I heard he's an ok guy👍

2 hours ago, Rerve said:

Yeah manual.

964 is my favourite 911.

But you're right, would need to drive it first.

Just thinking out loud.

Yes definitely drive it first.

The price is very reasonable for a manual Carrera 4.....likely due to the car being SA DELivered......Oz version would probably ask $230-260k today

6 hours ago, 911virgin said:

Yes definitely drive it first.

The price is very reasonable for a manual Carrera 4.....likely due to the car being SA DELivered......Oz version would probably ask $230-260k today

Really, 230-260 for a C4? I had no idea they were fetching that coin. What does that make a C2 worth! 

13 minutes ago, 911virgin said:

Alex Holland has had a white manual c2 asking $238k for a few months now.....not surprised it's unsold at that ask price 

Correct. So on that basis I’d say the C4 pricing @180k is about right by comparison. 

BTW, that particular white C2 is a lovely car (I’m one of its previous owners)