4 hours ago, WGA said:

I am quite interested in the 964 cab at PCM but am hesitating due to its lack of history and owners manual. So thought I would reach here just on the off chance somebody knows this car. Anyone?

09858AC1-6079-4924-B810-3ED0D263BAF2.jpeg

91487A82-38CD-4AEB-AC44-65F6E3277E3E.jpeg

12562294-EFA2-4175-A695-A3A0D675E48E.jpeg

Sold according to carsales? Great looking 964. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1990-porsche-911-carrera-2-cabriolet-964-manual/OAG-AD-20837285

20 hours ago, WGA said:

I am quite interested in the 964 cab at PCM but am hesitating due to its lack of history and owners manual. So thought I would reach here just on the off chance somebody knows this car. Anyone?

09858AC1-6079-4924-B810-3ED0D263BAF2.jpeg

91487A82-38CD-4AEB-AC44-65F6E3277E3E.jpeg

12562294-EFA2-4175-A695-A3A0D675E48E.jpeg

Fascinating to see how expensive these were new (see page 1 of this thread) - 35% more expensive than a C2 manual coupe.  I assume there are far fewer of them as a result yet they are now the "poor cousin".  That silver car looks great.

image.png.21c8f1667c579d1a9fd32c7813dc8f5b.png

2 hours ago, DJM said:

Fascinating to see how expensive these were new (see page 1 of this thread) - 35% more expensive than a C2 manual couple.  I assume there are far fewer of them as a result yet they are now the "poor cousin".  That silver car looks great.

So interesting to see the pricing then and now.....300k for the 3.6 turbo.

Now a million dollar car.

What did 300k buy in 1992? Two average suburban houses?

1 hour ago, DJM said:

Fascinating to see how expensive these were new (see page 1 of this thread) - 35% more expensive than a C2 manual couple.  I assume there are far fewer of them as a result yet they are now the "poor cousin".  That silver car looks great.

Fascinating indeed.

By the time you add a few options on the  list price  on a 3.6 turbo  your up around what the invoiced price I am seeing on my 996  3.6 turbo and theres a missing generation ( the best turbo model IMHO) in between. So in 10 years the turbo price stayed flat in nominal terms and would assume buku more oz  delivered 996's % wise.  For some back to the future, a 1994 rexy was 42k and starts at 41k today.

+1  looks super clean in silver

The outlier for me is  who wanted an RS back then.   They even listed it number 13 on the list and perhaps they only batched produced them for Oz on Friday the 13th.. Eg the poor mans / entry level  911 back then and probably limited options to add.    How times have changed.  Inflation on replacement  of  those lighter weight factory magnesium rims perhaps.

5 hours ago, DJM said:

928 pricing from the same era was even higher! 

43 minutes ago, 911virgin said:

No way! Do you have 928 pricing details when they were new?

There was an original price list in with my 964 service books, unfortunately I don’t have it as it stayed with the car. Big numbers though, especially being late 80’s early 90’s. 

1 hour ago, 911virgin said:

No way! Do you have 928 pricing details when they were new?

Also see page 1 of this thread.  Quarter mil for a 928 GTS mid 90s! 

The accountants on here chime in at 3 - 4% inflation per annum, compounding, that's like $500k to $600k in today's money.  Plus $100k to keep the electrics going all that time 🤣.

image.png.9e08a68b6f8b30a3520653fe9531af6e.png

2 hours ago, DJM said:

The accountants on here chime in at 3 - 4% inflation per annum, compounding, that's like $500k to $600k in today's money.  Plus $100k to keep the electrics going all that time 🤣.

Amazing.......now 928 cars go for between $50-100k.

So 964 911s nearly retained their value in most cases or in some cases, appreciated

35 minutes ago, 911virgin said:

So 964 911s nearly retained their value in most cases or in some cases, appreciated

My 90 build 91 964 C2 5 speed was 63200 pounds in pomy land , But being a C23 do not know what was paid in OZ.

• 2 weeks later...

Casually browsing Carsales for manual coupe 964's on a Saturday morning...

$250,000

$389,000

$225,000 (HK import)

$169,990 (UK import)

$239,899

$499,990

$449,900

n.b. doesn't include the sublime Speedster for $749,000 

It makes the U.K. ones quite tempting. I’ve had the details of a couple of tidy restored ones sent to me in the last few weeks (I’m heading back to the U.K. for a month soon), the prices are high, but nowhere near  what’s needed here.

16 hours ago, Mike-S said:

It makes the U.K. ones quite tempting. I’ve had the details of a couple of tidy restored ones sent to me in the last few weeks (I’m heading back to the U.K. for a month soon), the prices are high, but nowhere near  what’s needed here.

You might wanna talk to Buik Motorworks about UK imports Mike. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg5-UbEJ2oM/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

22 hours ago, Mike-S said:

All I would add is you can source a good car from the uk 🇬🇧 that’s had money thrown at it to sort out the usual problems with uk cars then it’s a no brainer……for what you can buy them for even with shipping and taxes compared to local cars I would say you can’t go wrong.

45 minutes ago, MARTY said:

All I would add is you can source a good car from the uk 🇬🇧 that’s had money thrown at it to sort out the usual problems with uk cars then it’s a no brainer……for what you can buy them for even with shipping and taxes compared to local cars I would say you can’t go wrong.

I agree, the stigma surrounding UK and HK imports, if they are all properly sorted , any rust issues fixed properly then if they are half the price of comparable Oz delivered cars that a bargain imo

Yep, the key is being able to inspect and know what you’re getting into. I already own 2 cars I brought with us from the U.K. 11 years ago, I’m well aware of what they can look like and need. 

I’m in the middle of restoring 2 Range Rover’s that have spent their life in Oz, the rust repairs have been extensive. To say that Oz delivered cars of any manufacture are rust free is false, I’ve seen 911’s here that are just as rusty because of the environment in which they’ve lived. The flip side is my 87 Targa doesn’t have a pick of rust anywhere, but then it was a country car then was stored in a warehouse for 20 years. 

You pays your money and takes your chance.

On 23/07/2022 at 15:42, DJM said:

Plus options!

48 minutes ago, Mike-S said:

To say that Oz delivered cars of any manufacture are rust free is false, I’ve seen 911’s here that are just as rusty because of the environment in which they’ve lived. 

You pays your money and takes your chance.

Yep, my HK import has less rust than most of the Oz delivered cars I've looked at for others

4 hours ago, 911virgin said:

I agree, the stigma surrounding UK and HK imports, if they are all properly sorted , any rust issues fixed properly then if they are half the price of comparable Oz delivered cars that a bargain imo

I'd say it's not that the UK cars are a bargain, it's that those AU cars are priced too high (and may have been sitting for a while on carsales)  Last reference I have of one changing hands is a black on black 964 C2 manual, aust delivered for $190k early this year.

I don’t see why hk cars would be considered a rust hazard.  It’s not like they salt the roads, and yes the city is on the ocean but then so is Sydney and half the Australian population.  Japanese imports would be riskier as they do have lots of roads that get salted.  The uk risk is rot from underneath - every time I watch an old wheeler dealers episode I get appalled at the condition of the suspension on some of the uk cars.

1 hour ago, cafe_racer said:

I'd say it's not that the UK cars are a bargain, it's that those AU cars are priced too high (and may have been sitting for a while on carsales)  Last reference I have of one changing hands is a black on black 964 C2 manual, aust delivered for $190k early this year.

964 as nice a car as they are, They are not a 200k drive. 

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

I don’t see why hk cars would be considered a rust hazard.  It’s not like they salt the roads, and yes the city is on the ocean but then so is Sydney and half the Australian population.  Japanese imports would be riskier as they do have lots of roads that get salted.  The uk risk is rot from underneath - every time I watch an old wheeler dealers episode I get appalled at the condition of the suspension on some of the uk cars.

South Africa is another market not often discussed.   This was a Johannesburg car that the owner brought with him when he migrated to Perth.  I bought in from him in 2014, it was a very clean, RH drive, dry climate car, C2 manual.   KTEC did a PPI on it and said it was one of the cleanest they had seen. 

Might be another market to have a snoop around.

January 2014 131.JPG

4 minutes ago, DJM said:

South Africa is another market not often discussed.   This was a Johannesburg car that the owner brought with him when he migrated to Perth.  I bought in from him in 2014, it was a very clean, RH drive, dry climate car, C2 manual.   KTEC did a PPI on it and said it was one of the cleanest they had seen. 

Might be another market to have a snoop around.

January 2014 131.JPG

Now that looks lovely