924 and 924 turbo market watch - oz market

This one is back for sale at more than double the price it was 2 months ago ....

I'm not sure if it's the same seller or if it's been bought and then re-advertised.

At least this is "slightly" negotiable ... :wacko:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cobbitty/cars-vans-utes/porsche-924-turbo/1158867521

I think the wheels alone are worth more than that car.

I think the wheels alone are worth more than that car.

It certainly is in a very sad state .... it's heartbreaking to see it like that ...

Unfortunately I think it's a parts car now .. it just needs way too much money and work to bring it back ...

This one is back for sale at more than double the price it was 2 months ago ....

I'm not sure if it's the same seller or if it's been bought and then re-advertised.

At least this is "slightly" negotiable ... :wacko:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cobbitty/cars-vans-utes/porsche-924-turbo/1158867521

Dropped 3k overnight already and yes different seller/flipper. Previous was in a panel shop near Geelong advertised for $5k.?

Dropped 3k overnight already and yes different seller/flipper. Previous was in a panel shop near Geelong advertised for $5k.?

I realised last night that it was a different seller .... I messaged the original seller when it was first for sale saying if he didn't end up selling it, I'd be interested in some parts .. name and number were different.

I'd be interested to know if it was in the same state or if its been hacked some more .... at $5k, it took about 2 hours to sell ... that was exactly 4 weeks ago ...

This is why the 924 Turbo market is thinning out and making the rest of ours more valuable .....

http://m.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C832465

Same thing with old 911s. Seems most people like to mod them at some stage , but then again that's normal for beetle lovers!

As long as you save the bits and know a good welder(or great grinder)  and painter , what does it matter?

A friend in Melbourne has a really nice condition 1979 non-turbo manual. Very low k's, 89,000 with books. Great entry level car for anyone who wants some nice vintage driving. He only wants around 5,000 for it, PM me if you'd like his contact details for more information.

20799029_10211353090316530_3323425675115

Edited by vinnytang

Looks just like my first 924. Every time I see a white 924 for sale I wonder if it was my first Porsche.  From the picture, this car looks like good buying at $5k, especially if it has the 5 speed box which I believe came out in the 79 model. 

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had a look at this one? I'm tempted but can't realistically get down there. 

I've spent far more than this on cars (Porsche's) sight unseen .... one of them was from a member on here and I loooove it .... for $5k you could part it out and get more than that ....

If it floats your boat, jump in, get it trucked up and start smiling .....

Please stop me..... 

Go on Edgy, you know you want - nay - need to buy this.....after the disappointment of missing out on the wonderful 968 I have sitting in my shed, you need to pay this forward to someone else!......

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I ordered a couple of back copy mags for the UK to read on a recent holiday. Unfortunately the magazines were in the mail-box when I returned home from the holiday, non the less, I enjoyed a bit of light Porsche reading on my return.

I've been reading Porsche magazines on and off for 20 years, with my earliest copy (911 and Porsche world if I recall correctly) purchased while I was backpacking around Europe in 1997 (still in my Porsche reference material stash.. very tired after surviving my backpack).  What struck me with my recent magazine purchases was the noise surrounding the 924 turbo.

First magazine purchased was the July 17 (issue 188) of GT Porsche. One of the opinion pieces was from Philip Raby http://philipraby.co.uk who is a Porsche dealer in the UK. In his article he talks about a 924 turbo that he recently sold.

From the article.... "It was also, if I'm honest, out of all the many Porsches that have been through our doors, probably the one I was most fond of. Yes, I know that sounds crazy - when you look at some of the exotic machinery we have had in stock - that a 20,000 pound entry level model was my favourite. There was just something about the little Turbo that appealed to me, I think I'm going to regret selling that car."

Then in "the market place" page 95, an auction with 924 turbos was mentioned with the line (about the 924 turbo) "A proper appreciating classic at a non scary price"

The other magazine I purchased was "Ultimate Porsche", which seems to be a new publication as my June 2017 issue was issue number 2. An enjoyable read, seemed to have more about the transaxle cars and I found the mag a good read (to paraphrase Amanda Vanstone from ABC's Counter Point).

There were two articles in Ultimate Porsche about the 924. A general overview from Pete Saysell (Torque Enthusiast) and an article on the 924 racing series by Gavin Johnson (Torque Racer). Both article touched on the fun of the 924.

What I find interesting is that older Porsche magazines would rarely mention the 924 in passing. There'd be the occasional 'cheap Porsche' article however it now seems that they (especially the turbos) are being discussed as rare, fun Porsches.  In my thinking, this type of language is how 'old' cars become classic cars ... once they are deemed 'classic' by enough people, and have low production numbers (Philip Raby article suggests there are 60 left in the UK... my guess is ~15 in Australia), I suspect the days of the cheap 924T will be over.

A few weeks ago I ordered a couple of back copy mags for the UK to read on a recent holiday. Unfortunately the magazines were in the mail-box when I returned home from the holiday, non the less, I enjoyed a bit of light Porsche reading on my return.

I've been reading Porsche magazines on and off for 20 years, with my earliest copy (911 and Porsche world if I recall correctly) purchased while I was backpacking around Europe in 1997 (still in my Porsche reference material stash.. very tired after surviving my backpack).  What struck me with my recent magazine purchases was the noise surrounding the 924 turbo.

First magazine purchased was the July 17 (issue 188) of GT Porsche. One of the opinion pieces was from Philip Raby http://philipraby.co.uk who is a Porsche dealer in the UK. In his article he talks about a 924 turbo that he recently sold.

From the article.... "It was also, if I'm honest, out of all the many Porsches that have been through our doors, probably the one I was most fond of. Yes, I know that sounds crazy - when you look at some of the exotic machinery we have had in stock - that a 20,000 pound entry level model was my favourite. There was just something about the little Turbo that appealed to me, I think I'm going to regret selling that car."

Then in "the market place" page 95, an auction with 924 turbos was mentioned with the line (about the 924 turbo) "A proper appreciating classic at a non scary price"

The other magazine I purchased was "Ultimate Porsche", which seems to be a new publication as my June 2017 issue was issue number 2. An enjoyable read, seemed to have more about the transaxle cars and I found the mag a good read (to paraphrase Amanda Vanstone from ABC's Counter Point).

There were two articles in Ultimate Porsche about the 924. A general overview from Pete Saysell (Torque Enthusiast) and an article on the 924 racing series by Gavin Johnson (Torque Racer). Both article touched on the fun of the 924.

What I find interesting is that older Porsche magazines would rarely mention the 924 in passing. There'd be the occasional 'cheap Porsche' article however it now seems that they (especially the turbos) are being discussed as rare, fun Porsches.  In my thinking, this type of language is how 'old' cars become classic cars ... once they are deemed 'classic' by enough people, and have low production numbers (Philip Raby article suggests there are 60 left in the UK... my guess is ~15 in Australia), I suspect the days of the cheap 924T will be over.

I, for one, absolutely love my little 924 Turbo!! It is the one I am looking forward to the most to get restored ...

I have a collection of a couple of thousand car magazines from the 50's to the 2000's ... every now and then I delve into a box or two and flick through some of the issues. The ones I have been looking at closer are the 1980 - 1982 due to the release of the turbo at that time ...

Every article I have seen and read totally raved about the added turbo to the NA making it a worthy car ... "a real performance Porsche" ... I think the biggest issue at the time was the price ... $40k for a car was the price of a house in some parts of Sydney!

I don't care what the articles say, what other Porsche owners say or even if it goes up in value .... I'm going to get mine restored some day soon and drive it around like I own the joint .... B)

I don't care what the articles say, what other Porsche owners say or even if it goes up in value .... I'm going to get mine restored some day soon and drive it around like I own the joint .... B)

That's the way mate. Just get it to the point where you can drive it rain or shine ??

That's the way mate. Just get it to the point where you can drive it rain or shine ??

Thanks Lee .....

Just so you know, I already drive it around like I own the road ... B)  the restored bit is so that the car will last another 35 years and be around long enough for the next generation to appreciate what the last one didn't .....

Did I tell you just how much I love my little unloved 924?? ..... :LOL:

As a true Porsche enthusiast, it shouldn't matter what model anyone else drives, it's all about the experience of owning the iconic marque in any way, shape or form. 

If you'd seen what I'm doing to my 911 right now, you'd watch purists and collectors have heart attacks! ?

What people don't know won't hurt them ?

Are you trying to make me regret selling it to you ? 

I would never make you feel that way, James ... just because I bought a hot little hatch with Pasha interior that is quickly gaining collector status and being talked about the world over as the next big thing and THE car to find and buy ... B)

As for the words regrets and selling ... move along mate .... nothing to see here :ph34r: :LOL: