A 8500rpm flame spitting poping and banging widow making old style turbo would be awesome. Its the suit and tie turbos that are boring. I suspect the GT department know this and any turbo from them would be worlds away from the generic stuff. Unfortunatly with new emissions laws about to come into effect the days of the NA are numbered. This along with Porsche management placing a high priority on the publics (non buyer) view of their cars the NA is toast. 

Plus they are uncompetitive with their peers, everything they are competing with not only has a greater capacity or more cylinders, but a couple of turbos as well, no wonder they are seeing reliability problems trying to keep up in the HP stakes.IMHO if the want to stick with NA and be competitive, they need to make the GT3 at least 250-300 kg lighter.

1 hour ago, Redracn said:

A 8500rpm flame spitting poping and banging widow making old style turbo would be awesome. Its the suit and tie turbos that are boring. I suspect the GT department know this and any turbo from them would be worlds away from the generic stuff. Unfortunatly with new emissions laws about to come into effect the days of the NA are numbered. This along with Porsche management placing a high priority on the publics (non buyer) view of their cars the NA is toast. 

21 hours ago, edgy said:

Apparently that’s not going to happen for a long time still? But let’s say it does? 

It doesn’t bother me if that’s how it goes! 

Perhaps not from the outset, but certainly now we can look back and say a large part of the 911s ethos is evolution, it adapts to the environment/climate it’s currently in, I mean look back at the impact bumper era or the introduction of water cooling for example. 

I think it’s always just going to be another chapter in the history books for Porsche, you can look back and cherry pick the time capsule that suits you the most, because that is essentially what we end up with 911 time capsules of their era. 

I do like the NA mills, it’s what makes the GT3 so unique, so it’ll definitely lose its glow somewhat should it go turbo, and I’m sure they’ll make it faster, but the captive audience will shift in that time too, maybe a hybrid GT3 is on the cards (like GT3 r hybrid/918) you know the millennial thinks a lot differently about this stuff... 

^^^ I agree 100% with this. Whilst I can appreciate the air cooled cars and would love to experience one properly, 996/997 era GT cars speak to me. To the 20 year olds of today aspiring to own a Porsche, 996 is a stinky old car so they want 991. The evolution is real. Despite the hate for PDK, Porsche is now selling far more GT cars than ever before and a huge proportion of them are PDK. They know how to adapt to the times and will continue to do so. For me personally, a turbo GT3 would be a sad day. 

I wasn’t sure where to post this, it’s a video from a car blogger I rate whom has some amazing cars one of which is the GT3. Being a 991 I thought I’d post it here. The video has clarified a couple of things around the GT3 for me which I’ve been struggling with.

Let me know your thoughts.

56 minutes ago, Scott SS964 said:

I wasn’t sure where to post this, it’s a video from a car blogger I rate whom has some amazing cars one of which is the GT3. Being a 991 I thought I’d post it here. The video has clarified a couple of things around the GT3 for me which I’ve been struggling with.

Let me know your thoughts.

Good summary from a logical perspective. In my experience of a 991.1 on track, I found the electric steering and wizardry of the stability control detracted from the experience more than PDK did. I agree with him, I’m not sure a manual gearbox would feel “right” on this platform. It’d be a bloody tough decision if you were spec’ing a car though, I’ve had enough trouble deciding on colour when buying new cars in the past! Ultimately you’d want this, a 996 and a 997 ?

3 hours ago, spiller said:

Good summary from a logical perspective. In my experience of a 991.1 on track, I found the electric steering and wizardry of the stability control detracted from the experience more than PDK did. I agree with him, I’m not sure a manual gearbox would feel “right” on this platform. It’d be a bloody tough decision if you were spec’ing a car though, I’ve had enough trouble deciding on colour when buying new cars in the past! Ultimately you’d want this, a 996 and a 997 ?

Stability control on a GT3 can be turned completly off. 

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, edgy said:

Well, this one keeps reducing its ask... I think there is room for it to keep moving down. 

$286k drive away, its a tasty spec I gotta say...

pwljmnfw79to5ruw8rfvo3xg3.jpg?pxc_method

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-2014/OAG-AD-16252562/?Cr=14 

I have been in talks with them, but we aren't there yet.  Even though it is a clubsport,  it is a basic spec, very few options.

12 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

I have been in talks with them, but we aren't there yet.  Even though it is a clubsport,  it is a basic spec, very few options.

Basic spec is good for GT3. 

Good luck, hope you can make something work. 

59 minutes ago, edgy said:

Basic spec is good for GT3. 

Good luck, hope you can make something work. 

No basic spec is pretty low rent.  The black car in the current market would be wholesaling for $240k from what I can gather.  What is hurting the dealers is that they bought the stock before this last slump in depreciation in the last 2-3 months and they aren't discounting from their asking prices too much even though nothing is selling because there aren't any new cars coming on the market to compete with forcing the price down.

I see that there are more mk11s on the market than MK1s and these have started to slip a bit already.  My guess is that we will see a few more MK1s soon as .2 RSs start being delivered.   That black car was traded on a new RS as an example.  So downwards pressure is going to have to continue on the MK1 prices, so you need caution now for anything you buy.

I have been looking into retrofiting folding buckets and it can be done easily,  the issue is second hand sets start at about $15K ex-europe, so buying a comfort spec and converting gets expensive.   Having said that, has anybody been to look at or nibbled the Nick Theodossi or Porsche  Canberra cars?  I contacted Canberra but they didn't seem interested at all in selling, it was like I had to put an offer on a platter to them, and I wasn't tyre kicking either.

Low rent :lol: Im in the GT3 stripper spec (low option) is best camp, most guys are and 003 is the only option you need IMO, but then again, everyone is different. 

I agree, the market is flooded, lots of .2's out there not really at any premium and not really selling... interesting times. 

That MY15 in Canberra looks ok too, don't know the other one? I did notice the Dutton MY15 moved fast at $250 ask. 

Don't forget that 003 doesn't give you seats, you still need to spec those.   Look at the orange RS in Adelaide,  that has 918 seats and no cage, the clubsport option was deleted.

I know the owner of the white one in Adelaide and he told me that it was going to be wholesaled to Duttons this week as they had a buyer lined up for it, not sure if it is still going ahead though.

I reckon I missed the red clubsport by 2 months that was sold in Sydney with an ask of $295k, I just wasn't ready to buy.  Top price but a top car.  Why can't there be more like that :(

49 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

Don't forget that 003 doesn't give you seats, you still need to spec those.   Look at the orange one in Adelaide,  that has 918 seats and no cage.

I know the owner of the white one in Adelaide and he told me that it was going to be wholesaled to Duttons this week as they had a buyer lined up for it, not sure if it is still going ahead though.

I reckon I missed the red clubsport by 2 months that was sold in Sydney with an ask of $295k, I just wasn't ready to buy.  Top price but a top car.  Why can't there be more like that :(

So in a 991 003 doesn't give you buckets at all?? That is odd... in previous generations, the electric comfort seats were not compatible with the roll cage! 

I agree, the trend towards a road spec car becomes more and more with every generation, the 6.1's had mostly CS, then that levelled up a bit bit 6.2, then for all 997 the CS became minority, although RS delivery did increase, I suspect the same hold true for the 991... most owners just don't want to track them. 

23 minutes ago, edgy said:

So in a 991 003 doesn't give you buckets at all?? That is odd... in previous generations, the electric comfort seats were not compatible with the roll cage! 

I agree, the trend towards a road spec car becomes more and more with every generation, the 6.1's had mostly CS, then that levelled up a bit bit 6.2, then for all 997 the CS became minority, although RS delivery did increase, I suspect the same hold true for the 991... most owners just don't want to track them. 

The cars came base and you have to option them up from 4 way seats.  Option 003 was a no cost option, and buckets (P03) are a cost option, so they aren't going to give you carbon seats for nothing. 

The catalogue is deceiving, they show a picture of a cage, extinguisher and carbon seats, but when you read the description for 003 it says:

"Clubsport package ( roll cage at rear, preparation for battery master switch; supplied six-point racing harness for driver's side, fire extinguisher with mounting bracket)"

No where does it say you get the seats as part of the package which is what the photo shows.  I know this to be the case as I got a AS400 print out of a car I was trying to buy and it showed the CS option as no cost and the P03 buckets as a $7k cost.

You would be right with the cage and the standard seats, they would just stop you ordering the two together because the seat could be laid back against the cage which you can't do with carbon buckets.

15 hours ago, hugh said:

Black GT3's are nice. 

My man of simplicity 

8 hours ago, GRK930 said:

FYI guys, trade on some of these 991 gt3’s are in the very low $200k’s. I passed on a white one for $220k. They are dropping. If you’re patient, you will pick up a bargain. Once they sit on the lot for 90 days, the dealers start sweating. 

We are at day 71 for many ;) Jim , I think you are right 

I do think we start a car pool.. we keep discussing the many variants , surely one of each 996,997, RS  .1 .2 in each state would work fine.. then there is no need to choose .  Shared GT owners club sounds ok hey..?

19 hours ago, GRK930 said:

FYI guys, trade on some of these 991 gt3’s are in the very low $200k’s. I passed on a white one for $220k. They are dropping. If you’re patient, you will pick up a bargain. Once they sit on the lot for 90 days, the dealers start sweating. 

They must have been real stripper specs?  I am not hearing offers of that low speaking to those that have been offered trades.

Here is the "no cost" option on an Australian delivered car.

Option 003.jpg

Just FYI, the 918 buckets on the 991.2 were a $13k+ option. No options spec was $356k drive away.

On another note I just got back from europe having driven a brand new GTS targa for 5 days (I might be a convert, top down was nice). It had PDK.

I really didn't like 2 things. PDK whilst super fast just wasn't fun at all - and I was doing mountain passes. It couldn't make you feel more detached if it tried. It would be great on the track though.

But my god, the fake bullshit exhaust note. Snap crackle pop. It was just so over the top ridiculous it wasn't funny, and not in a good way. Please please please Porsche give us hybrid GT cars, not turbo. Atrocious. I was well and truely sick of the 'noise' by the time we gave the car back.

Whilst I liked the targa experience, and the car undeniably felt like a 911 to drive, if that style of engine / exhaust / gearbox setup is the future of GT cars, I'm out.