997 GT3 Market Watch

On 08/02/2022 at 20:07, DM911 said:

Did you end up replacing the front splitter. ? Looks pristine . !!

No, just a bit of Plasidip with the help of some masking tape, just a 15min job. Not perfect, but good enough unless you get close.

On 11/02/2022 at 11:03, SFZOOM said:

Wow looks fantastic who did the full PPF?

Reason I ask is that I am looking to get my 996.2 GT3 done, but have varied experiences with PPF installers in the past.

https://theppfstudio.com.au/ Jon and his team were excellent! Small business, great quality and customer service, premium films. Entire car done, really hard to see the film due to time spent on it. All up cost $5500 with a 10 year warranty. Price went up just after I did mine, now GT3's are $6000, increase mostly due to labour time, GT3 engine and spoiler area is very hard to do a very good detailed PPF coverage.

11 minutes ago, mbedford said:

No, just a bit of Plasidip with the help of some masking tape, just a 15min job. Not perfect, but good enough unless you get close.

https://theppfstudio.com.au/ Jon and his team were excellent! Small business, great quality and customer service, premium films. Entire car done, really hard to see the film due to time spent on it. All up cost $5500 with a 10 year warranty. Price went up just after I did mine, now GT3's are $6000, increase mostly due to labour time, GT3 engine and spoiler area is very hard to do a very good detailed PPF coverage.

Wow that’s actually a lot - I’ve got and had both ppf and non ppf on my cars. The one thing that’s always hard for me to decide on this as a go or not, is based on respraying a bumper and if needed front panels costs way less -as long as it’s not panel damage and is just stone chips, than this film.  

29 minutes ago, mbedford said:

Thanks....much appreciated. Confirms it for me....hearing lots of good things about the PPF Studio.

25 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

Wow that’s actually a lot - I’ve got and had both ppf and non ppf on my cars. The one thing that’s always hard for me to decide on this as a go or not, is based on respraying a bumper and if needed front panels costs way less -as long as it’s not panel damage and is just stone chips, than this film.  

Totally agree. 

On 15/02/2022 at 21:00, hugh said:

Totally agree. 

I resprayed a front bumper (cash and no damage bar chips) before Xmas…. Based on that I can do it 9 times for cost of 1 ppf film cover - ok the film sounds like it’s the car - but is seriously  worth thinking through. 

5K is actually a very good price for a complete 911. I’ve heard of some places charging 7K. @mc968cs I’m not sure what you are paying but I usually pay $4-500 for a front bumper repaint on a given vehicle. Paint has become a lot more expensive in recent years and then there is the worry about it matching perfectly, looking factory etc etc. Film is not without its issues either, many think it’s “set and forget” but it actually requires quite a bit of care to keep it looking good. Even then when you do all the right things, it will probably still lift on some of the edges, get dirty etc etc. I recently did the full front end of my 996, front 1/4 of the roof, complete side skirts and in front of and behind the rear wheels with a paint correction + ceramic coating and didn’t get much change from 4K. 

$400-$500 is great pricing for a front bumper respray. No concerns or issues ever re not matching as use a good shop.  I’m at $650 or so cash for a really really good front bumper paint job lately…Hence questioning the whole ppf thing. Ppf is now dear.  I’ve had at least 5 done in 4 years. 

Aside. My whole 993 is covered in ppf and when on fast back road trips I now add a second layer myself on the normal ‘hit’ areas as the bloody ppf is so dear and otherwise it just gets tatty…! I source that extra short term layer film from www.paintguard.com.au and apply it myself. Hope that helps someone somehow! 

6 hours ago, twro said:

Assume you mean www.paintgard.com.au ? Which product do you use for short-term?

That’s the one.  I hadn’t realised they spell it incorrectly.  I use the 3M pro film sold in 5m metres roles (maybe 10cm wide) and costs around 60-70 dollars over the front bumper and arches etc - ie over the top of the pro ppf film.  Then remove again post event (like targa tours…. 😉

In future quite inclined to just go for that film and skip the pro ppf film. Note it looks good from 3-5m when I do it….less so up close but who cares when it’s coming back off. 

13 hours ago, mc968cs said:

That’s the one.  I hadn’t realised they spell it incorrectly.  I use the 3M pro film sold in 5m metres roles (maybe 10cm wide) and costs around 60-70 dollars over the front bumper and arches etc - ie over the top of the pro ppf film.  Then remove again post event (like targa tours…. 😉

In future quite inclined to just go for that film and skip the pro ppf film. Note it looks good from 3-5m when I do it….less so up close but who cares when it’s coming back off. 

Doing a track day soon, that stuff looks perfect for chip and rash protection. 

Just ordered a couple of rolls of 3M, thanks @mc968cs for the recommendation. My most urgent need is to wrap the rear wheel arch fenders on my new (old) TJ series Jeep Wrangler, which the kids insist of climbing through the windows of to get in and out (and using the fender as a step ladder!). Good fun :)

A question about PPF please...

I am considering buying a car (yes, a Porsche 997, back on topic). It is a white car with PPF all over, but at the leading edges of the PPF there is discolouration from dirt etc. Nothing major, but prevents the car from presenting in mint condition. Can this be cleaned / detailed out? Or does it require removing the PPF and doing it again?

Any tips appreciated.

1 hour ago, twro said:

Just ordered a couple of rolls of 3M, thanks @mc968cs for the recommendation. My most urgent need is to wrap the rear wheel arch fenders on my new (old) TJ series Jeep Wrangler, which the kids insist of climbing through the windows of to get in and out (and using the fender as a step ladder!). Good fun :)

A question about PPF please...

I am considering buying a car (yes, a Porsche 997, back on topic). It is a white car with PPF all over, but at the leading edges of the PPF there is discolouration from dirt etc. Nothing major, but prevents the car from presenting in mint condition. Can this be cleaned / detailed out? Or does it require removing the PPF and doing it again?

Any tips appreciated.

Leave that PPF for few more years, let it take more beat up and then Change it. ?

Good luck with the purchase. Glad you are not going for that "light weight" 😉

Cannot wait for your to join the  PFA rides, more gt3s the better. !!