996-7 Turbo Market Watch

They're all still overvalued. Someone said it on the forum and i'm just borrowing it; In a downturn buyers take the lift down, sellers take the stairs.

Regardless of what anyone here says, the vast majority of buyers use finance - either direct, or indirect like an offset account. Suddenly that money actually costs something to service. A large portion of buyers will simply stop buying, either because they become too high risk for their lenders to keep servicing, or because rightly they're worried about where the inflationary cycle (and thus interest rates) stops.

The only models in my mind that have protection built in are either limited editions, limited availability, or cars that appeal to baby boomers. Everything else is likely to revert to somewhere near pre-covid levels in the short to medium term. Long term prices will grow again due to inflation.

13 hours ago, on_booost said:

A comment from a highly regarded collector said during a coffee the other day - "All AC cars either NEED $100K spent on them or have just HAD $100K spent on them."

To who, collectors or enthusiast drivers?  And for what, a concourse restoration or to just make them a nice car? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/12/2022 at 01:25, LeeM said:

To who, collectors or enthusiast drivers?  And for what, a concourse restoration or to just make them a nice car? 

Collectors are a different breed. In the true sense of the word - ie I must have one of every RS or similar.

Just an enthusiast driver..... and by driver i mean it works, is safe RELIABLE and doesn't leak like a sieve...

An Aussie delivered AC that has been thoroughly maintained ( i realise we all have different meanings of the word) INCLUDING the bodywork isn't cheap (or reliable) ..... the old race-car triangle....

Concourse stuff is just another level...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Joz said:

16 on the market atm, when I was looking 18 months ago I was lucky to have 3-4 to choose from.

what do you think is the reason for this?

increasing interest rates, people cant afford finance on these cars anymore?

CS sellers are still being unrealistic with their ask prices....................997.1 turbos'  would move quickly if priced $100-150k

10 minutes ago, 911virgin said:

CS sellers are still being unrealistic with their ask prices....................997.1 turbos'  would move quickly if priced $100-150k

$100k might be light... but agree, mid $100k is the number that would get me to jump! high 100's and beyond not even worth the time IMO when there is a 991.1 Turbo currently languishing at mid 200's and he appears to be motivated seller!

23 minutes ago, 911virgin said:

LOL,

Even in 2017/18 there were exactly zero 997 TT around $100K.

If that was the case - what's a 996 turbo worth? $70K???? NO chance!

13 minutes ago, edgy said:

$100k might be light... but agree, mid $100k is the number that would get me to jump! high 100's and beyond not even worth the time IMO when there is a 991.1 Turbo currently languishing at mid 200's and he appears to be motivated seller!

Tipper? Or are you implying a 997Turbo Manual will/should be around $130-$160K?

1 minute ago, on_booost said:

LOL,

Even in 2017/18 there were exactly zero 997 TT around $100K.

If that was the case - what's a 996 turbo worth? $70K???? NO chance!

true, prepandemic, 997.1 turbo were selling at lows of $150k in 2081/19............i remember Dutton sold a white 997.1 turbo with 70000kms for around $150k 2018/19

im just stating what i think they are worth and the price theyd move very quickly at

Can only assume owners open Carsales one day, spit out their drink when they see the prices being asked for a car like theirs, put it up to add to the list and then wonder why the phone never rings???

That process means it’s hard to know who is listing because they think “f*** me, if some idiot will pay that, I’ll sell” versus actually want to sell their car and are just assuming the asking prices on Carsales are where the market is.

You can see the dealers are all slowly cutting prices by $5k or $10k every so often and they’ll eventually find a price where things move, since their business is actually selling cars, and I guess the private sellers who actually want to sell will join them.

How long that process takes will depend on how many real sellers there are and if larger numbers of them start getting desperate. 

22 minutes ago, 911virgin said:

true, prepandemic, 997.1 turbo were selling at lows of $150k in 2081/19............i remember Dutton sold a white 997.1 turbo with 70000kms for around $150k 2018/19

im just stating what i think they are worth and the price theyd move very quickly at

I think BitCoin is worth $5, an R34 GTR is worth $40K and a GT3 (997) is worth $70K and a house in Sydney is $300K.

See what i did there ^^^^^^ ?  The market says otherwise - just like i don't think an AC Sh!tbox is worth anything close to what they are actually GETTING - doesn't make one bit of difference.

Imported Tip 997.1 Turbos were selling at around $140K. Everything else (Manual, Aus Del, klms travelled) adds $$$$.

I don't recall a Manual 997.1 TT Aus delivered with low (is 70Klms low???) selling at $150K but I could be wrong, they're just too rare here. It was PEAK GFC......

1 hour ago, on_booost said:

I think BitCoin is worth $5, an R34 GTR is worth $40K and a GT3 (997) is worth $70K and a house in Sydney is $300K.

See what i did there ^^^^^^ ?  The market says otherwise - just like i don't think an AC Sh!tbox is worth anything close to what they are actually GETTING - doesn't make one bit of difference.

Imported Tip 997.1 Turbos were selling at around $140K. Everything else (Manual, Aus Del, klms travelled) adds $$$$.

I don't recall a Manual 997.1 TT Aus delivered with low (is 70Klms low???) selling at $150K but I could be wrong, they're just too rare here. It was PEAK GFC......

1 hour ago, on_booost said:

It was a tip 997.1 turbo that particular sale I mentioned

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

Market is currently under pressure. Whether it falls or not will be dictated by how financed up the average owner is.

I'm not convinced these older cars will drop anywhere near as much as the newer ones. Especially 3-5 year old 911s coming off lease.

Agree, 2015 991.1 Carrera S asking $215k?!   Puhleaazzze🙄

Ask $150k.....and you'll sell it fast

6 hours ago, 911virgin said:

Dreaming.  Where are these less than 135k manual coupes that arent basket  cases that you have missed out on that you would actually transact on.  There was a peach for circa  130k  that was a UK import one owner nicely tweaked with 33k on the clock.  Gone in within about an hour back in  cough cough 2016 with a offer over the asking.

6 hours ago, 911virgin said:

The reason ?

Obviously the fear of or actually realising financial stress.

Expensive toys and possibly holiday homes have tended to go first during previous recessions. Not that we’re there (yet?)

But if someone does have to unload and there are no buyers available prices drop.

But just because it’s listed for sale doesn’t always mean it has to be sold.Sure some people are hoping for windfall gains. But it seems to me that you feel every thing is overpriced at the moment? Continuously commenting that it is doesn’t make it so, time will tell. Seems like you missed the boat and hoping it will return for you?

When I bought mine I thought I was over paying, only to the. Never see another one at that price or even 30% near it.

1 hour ago, Shedpest said:

That’s a good pickup, I’d take that!  Over 380kw, panoramic roof is cool too.  And factory warranty in place.  No brainer for the fun. 

11 hours ago, Joz said:

But it seems to me that you feel every thing is overpriced at the moment? Continuously commenting that it is doesn’t make it so, time will tell. Seems like you missed the boat and hoping it will return for you?

When I bought mine I thought I was over paying, only to the. Never see another one at that price or even 30% near it.

Well said, and let's be honest - we all want to think we got a bargain on the way in and want to think we made money on the way out.

If you bought in 2019 and sold late 2021 - it was a once off time. Again my opinion. 

2 hours ago, mc968cs said:

That’s a good pickup, I’d take that!  Over 380kw, panoramic roof is cool too.  And factory warranty in place.  No brainer for the fun. 

But im betting my bottom $$ you wont.....

No denying it's faster, better, smoother, quieter and generally an all over better car - but it's pretty soul-less.

A weapon no doubt and would be a blast on the track (have to make close to 300 @ the creek??) but soul-less. 

And thats the issue all round. Its the soul, just the same as everyone hates the flippers, soul.

7 hours ago, on_booost said:

A weapon no doubt and would be a blast on the track (have to make close to 300 @ the creek??) but soul-less. 

Would not be anywhere near 300. A V8 supercar driven on the limit only does just over 270 despite exiting turn 18 much faster and tipping into turn 1 much much faster