996-7 Turbo Market Watch

2 hours ago, JLD said:

Similar to the 911 here in SA that I'm sure a few here may have seen at coffee poser meets. The owner also dresses in what I can only describe as like a metal flake tracksuit top and bottoms, and some funky coloured shoes and weird sunniest. 

Definitely out there that's for sure 

On 08/06/2022 at 08:42, symsy said:

GT2 - Stocker with silly yellow brakes or a Turbs with bolts ons , of my choice I will take the latter  thanks !

I just cant move on the 150 pesos price increase since we spoke !!  I just cant and I know maccas aint a dollar any more 

My turbs with gt3/gt2 (is there a difference)  silly yellow brakes up front look better than the smaller reds ones that blended well with the tail lights.   Didn't go McDonalds look with yellow up front and red  on the rears.  Would that look silly.     Have pontificated on having the yellow match something but buku bucks with no butt dyno benefit.   i.e   Would front and rear   yellow factory belts  fall in the category of  acceptable  bolt ons of choice

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to dip into a 996 Turbo, what are people's thoughts on the current pricing on CS? I was last looking around 12 months ago, so prices seem to have gone up fairly significantly since then, but I'm trying to get a grip on whether or not people's listed prices are actually what they are selling for or if these guys are just dreaming haha

1 hour ago, szeater said:

I'm looking to dip into a 996 Turbo, what are people's thoughts on the current pricing on CS? I was last looking around 12 months ago, so prices seem to have gone up fairly significantly since then, but I'm trying to get a grip on whether or not people's listed prices are actually what they are selling for or if these guys are just dreaming haha

There's a neat guards red auto on Collecting Cars - about 24hrs to go.  That will be a good indicator of the market - but I daresay will get passed in based on previous advertised prices.  Probably held back by the tan & wood interior.

My gut feel for pricing (I bought over 2 years ago) is that low mileage manuals are ~$170k.  Higher mileage cars $150k.  Autos about $120k.  As you say - limited stock lately and what's there hasn't moved quickly.  @Fraz has his for sale at present (or recently sold) and is possibly best placed to advise.

In terms of bang for buck - 996tt is the best value - then make a few mods to really unleash the hidden potential.  997s want 100k more for headlights and a modestly improved interior.

I remember looking at 996TTs and GT3s sitting at around 100k and thinking they were expensive. These days I don't worry about price direction too much. I just buy the best car that I can get for the price. e.g. the 997.2 turbo listed for $500k is not worth it in my mind because I feel could get so much more value for that money (e.g. a 996 GT3 & a TT, or a 992 Turbo, or a Ferrari 488, etc.). 

If you have your heart set on a 996TT just buy one and enjoy it. If you are buying the car to speculate on the price maybe buy some shares or something else.

14 minutes ago, Boosh said:

If you have your heart set on a 996TT just buy one and enjoy it. If you are buying the car to speculate on the price maybe buy some shares or something else.

For me this would be the first P-car, and as a second car to have some fun in on the weekends. I grew up with the 996 being the new 911 at the time, so there's a bit of nostalgia factor there, and honestly I love how they look. Don't want to get the car to speculate, but to genuinely enjoy, although I know life happens and I don't want to be caught out losing 30%+ of what would be a significant investment for me if I do have to sell down the line.

There's a couple on CS now (https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2003-porsche-911-turbo-996-manual-awd-my04/OAG-AD-20861070/?Cr=3 and https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-turbo-996-manual-awd-my02/SSE-AD-13056788/?Cr=1) that particularly tickle my fancy, but I just wanted to make sure I had a decent read of the market before pursuing properly.

It's a little off-topic, but is there any big gotchas that I should be looking out for?

20 minutes ago, szeater said:

It's a little off-topic, but is there any big gotchas that I should be looking out for?

They are a pretty reliable car in my opinion. No IMS or anything like that to worry about. Pinning the coolant lines might be worthwhile. Other than that the hydraulic wing is a known failure point but not a big deal. Price wise I would be negotiating hard. The market looks to be flattening. 

Good choice btw. I prefer the 996 to the 997.

I'd agree with most of what @flamingporsche says - and they're selling prices - thinking asking would be 10% more maybe?

I agree with "bang for buck" comment too - but saying headlights and modest interior are the only difference? Ok.... 😎

Same with @Boosh - @ $500K a 996GT3 and a996TT would make a very nice garage too! 

Cars are not investments. Not at this value. You'd want at least $750K+ to buy an investment style vehicle. 

Its only during this weird time that prices for cars haven't gone DOWN. They are NOT appreciating assets. You will lose money. You have to pay to play, and thinking otherwise will mean you wont buy ANY car. 

Life is short - Buy it and drive it!

20 hours ago, on_booost said:

Its only during this weird time that prices for cars haven't gone DOWN. They are NOT appreciating assets. You will lose money. You have to pay to play, and thinking otherwise will mean you wont buy ANY car. 

Life is short - Buy it and drive it!

Never a truer word said sir! Hallelujah!

Life is too short….. to focus on what the car may be worth next week, year, month vs when the market peaked.

23 hours ago, flamingporsche said:

There's a neat guards red auto on Collecting Cars - about 24hrs to go.  That will be a good indicator of the market - but I daresay will get passed in based on previous advertised prices.  Probably held back by the tan & wood interior.

My gut feel for pricing (I bought over 2 years ago) is that low mileage manuals are ~$170k.  Higher mileage cars $150k.  Autos about $120k.  As you say - limited stock lately and what's there hasn't moved quickly.  @Fraz has his for sale at present (or recently sold) and is possibly best placed to advise.

In terms of bang for buck - 996tt is the best value - then make a few mods to really unleash the hidden potential.  997s want 100k more for headlights and a modestly improved interior.

Yes it’s for sale, thanks for the Tag.🤜

I’ve had quite a bit of interest but here’s the reality of selling a car like the one I’m offering. 

Admittedly I’ve shot myself in the foot with “perceived value” mentioning the engine number discrepancy. 

I didn’t have to disclose it as it’s not a fault with the car. I’d like to consider myself a straight shooter and I didn’t want to get “that” call later.  

As for modifications I’ve been asked this more that once too “why mod it” short answer is the right mods bring the 996 Turbo alive. Stock they a dull grand tourer with a little punch. 
My advice is, go for a drive in a stock one, then come and see what $40K+ lower price difference buys you in regards to a tweaked turbo. 

Im sure there are guys out there thinking  “um ah, oh that’s a good buy, but I just can’t get over the number thing, is my money “safe” in a car like that”, one buyer told me as much! Maybe go read some of the above comments again. 

The real question for buyers is, are you a real enthusiast or someone who can’t get over a engine number being out by 65 digits ? 

2 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Yes mine is for sale, thanks for the Tag.🤜

I’ve had quite a bit of interest but here’s the reality of selling a car like the one I’m offering. 

Admittedly I’ve shot myself in the foot with “perceived value” mentioning the engine number discrepancy. 

I didn’t have to disclose it as it’s not a fault with the car. I’d like to consider myself a straight shooter and I didn’t want to get “that” call later.  

As for modifications I’ve been asked this more that once too “why mod it” short answer is as above, the right mods bring the 996 Turbo alive. Stock they a dull grand tourer with a little punch. 
My advice is, go for a drive in a stock one, then come and see what $40K+ lower price difference buys you in regards to a tweaked turbo. 

Im sure there are guys out there thinking  “um ah, oh that’s a good buy, but I just can’t get over the number thing, is my money “safe” in a car like that”, one buyer told me as much! Maybe go read some of the above comments again. 

The real question for buyers is, are you a real enthusiast or someone who can get over a engine number being out by 65 digits ? 

You want a 996 TT to drive? This is the right one.

You want a collector car? Don't buy a 996 - of any kind (unless an RS)

You want to have safe money - Got a bank account?

Buy the seller - not just the car.

4 minutes ago, Fraz said:

As for modifications I’ve been asked this more that once too “why mod it” short answer is as above, the right mods bring the 996 Turbo alive. Stock they a dull grand tourer with a little punch. 

The real question for buyers is, are you a real enthusiast or someone who can’t get over a engine number being out by 65 digits ? 

Your car is a ripper, I can’t believe it hasn’t sold but buyers often have very unrealistic expectations. 

3 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

Your car is a ripper, I can’t believe it hasn’t sold but buyers often have very unrealistic expectations. 

For someone reading the ad, it's hard to guess what the net effect of all the mods is and whether it is to personal taste. The KMs are at 168k which are probably more of a factor than the engine number thing.

I agree - ALL  mods are personal taste, but other than the dark(er) wheels - I don't see any others?

If you mean the Bilstein's (well thats better than a 168K on the stock shocks???? and if buggered would you put OE ones or better quality??? ) or the Exhaust - I believe its supplied? Its certainly not a low klm collector grade car that you want the old shocks anyway...... 

Yes the Klms are higher - but its $45K cheaper than the next manual (which has over 110K on the clock anyway) - and been properly maintained.

$45K is a lot of $$ where i come from.

4 hours ago, Fraz said:

As for modifications I’ve been asked this more that once too “why mod it” short answer is the right mods bring the 996 Turbo alive. Stock they a dull grand tourer with a little punch. 

I think yours is great value and agree with Simon's call outs.  

My observations from afar are that it looks like a fantastic car, would be good to drive, not overly modified and has a tune by the best in the business.  I think its great value at what you have it advertised at - number thing or not.   I've tried to steer a few people towards it already (3), but horse to water and all that.  If I was in the market for one, I'd be on the phone and drawing a cheque for it and rolling into that boost hit!