996-7 Turbo Market Watch

On 27/07/2022 at 11:58, Boosh said:

I remember looking at 996TTs and GT3s sitting at around 100k and thinking they were expensive. These days I don't worry about price direction too much. I just buy the best car that I can get for the price. e.g. the 997.2 turbo listed for $500k is not worth it in my mind because I feel could get so much more value for that money (e.g. a 996 GT3 & a TT, or a 992 Turbo, or a Ferrari 488, etc.). 

If you have your heart set on a 996TT just buy one and enjoy it. If you are buying the car to speculate on the price maybe buy some shares or something else.

Re 100k 996  turbos. Just a view but I  reckon loose comments like that do a disservice to those with well sorted examples and those who are selling with oz delivered manuals.   I remember a window of 100k 996 turbo's being advertised. So was yours a proper look or cursory peep? .  Just a view to provide context, me thinks it shrank significantly if you wanted a manual and shrank to a couple of unicorns ( non money pits to maintain a sub 6 figure budget by the time you sorted any issues) if you put your hand in your pocket and spent your hard earned running a proper ruler over them if you extended beyond a peep.    So please elaborate on the these 996 turbo manuals  sitting around 100k. Also were they Australian delivered,  new zealand or uk personal imports.  Perhaps the odd Oz delivered manual around 100k based on owner needing to fire sale perhaps.  But a generalisation that that was reflective of the market is BS  if you were in transactional mode for the general  preference of oz delivered manual that didnt need much money spent on it,   and  reasonable km's eg circa 80k at that time.  Also you talking with or without a glove box.

Gt3's circa / sub 100k  fully aligned.  They dont come with an optional transmission variant so easier to generalise on that.  I  was in the woulda shoulda camp but hard to convince a boost junky to go back / turn to a NA with only 6 cylinders.

Not that I feel the need to justify what’s been done or the mileage on the car, I will say this because I was tagged and people are commenting about the car, which is fine and why I started this thread way back when. 

I always judge a car on condition and maintenance not what a odometer says, maybe I’m just a weird like that, or maybe I can see past it. 
If your only way to judge a car is the odometer and shiny paint you need to educate yourself further than just the internet. 

Before you critique and dismiss poor old Turbski, unless you’ve seen the car your not qualified to pass judgement on condition regardless of what the odometer says. I would put it up against any 996TT on the market today, disregard the odometer, she’s bloody good, there’s barely a mark on her fat ass. I can’t think of anything that hasn’t been either replaced, rebuilt or serviced within the last 70K Kms, in most cases it’s more like 10~15K Kms. So by that rationale, the odometer means jack! but I recognise that this may be an issue for some so she’s priced accordingly. 

At least the mileage is genuine and hasn’t had a haircut. I really wonder about some of these so called low mileage cars on a number of levels, maybe check the ECU for run time hours. 

Next thing, a 911 is made to be driven. They get angry, very angry if they aren’t driven and will make you pay in revenge. Good luck with your low mileage car you’ve just paid a premium for. Now that’s a sure way to get in really deep on one of these cars.

As far as mods go, yeah it’s individual taste, that’s why we do them! Everyone who’s seen the wheels in particular say they look great and I nailed the colour, it’s only paint, they are still the genuine hollow spokes. The blackouts on the intercooler intakes are removable vinyl. Two seconds and it’s off. Oh and if you think the 350mm rotors and massive 997 GT3 calliper’s, maybe a hint of a polished stainless steel Kline exhaust with the standard X50 option exhaust tips look shit, well then you’ve got real issues and probably shouldn’t be here anyway. Plus all the standard parts are included, so why are the mods an issue. 

Well that’s me out, I don’t get on here much anymore, if your in the market come and have a look, I’ve just done a barista course and make a half decent coffee these days, I did say half decent!

I think your car @Fraz would be a great buy.

It is very well priced against the things that many traditional buyers believe determine price and that are highlighted by Fraz, but has the value adds of being well sorted with tasty mods and held by an honest and upfront owner.

I would really love a turbo and this one ticks all my boxes but alas I will have to suffice with my NA 996.1 

GLWS

3 hours ago, Kiwiland7r said:

I am recent 996TT owner. Would be happy to field any questions - feel free to DM anytime :)

Any tweaks or stock.  .Theres a few posts on here if @szeater searches on what to look for / look out for  on a 996 turbo and cons of certains tweaks.  I have posted more than a few  times  if one was to use the search box  under my user id

On 28/07/2022 at 21:05, Fraz said:

Not that I feel the need to justify what’s been done or the mileage on the car, I will say this because I was tagged and people are commenting about the car, which is fine and why I started this thread way back when. 

I always judge a car on condition and maintenance not what a odometer says, maybe I’m just a weird like that, or maybe I can see past it. 
If your only way to judge a car is the odometer and shiny paint you need to educate yourself further than just the internet. 

Before you critique and dismiss poor old Turbski, unless you’ve seen the car your not qualified to pass judgement on condition regardless of what the odometer says. I would put it up against any 996TT on the market today, disregard the odometer, she’s bloody good, there’s barely a mark on her fat ass. I can’t think of anything that hasn’t been either replaced, rebuilt or serviced within the last 70K Kms, in most cases it’s more like 10~15K Kms. So by that rationale, the odometer means jack! but I recognise that this may be an issue for some so she’s priced accordingly. 

At least the mileage is genuine and hasn’t had a haircut. I really wonder about some of these so called low mileage cars on a number of levels, maybe check the ECU for run time hours. 

Next thing, a 911 is made to be driven. They get angry, very angry if they aren’t driven and will make you pay in revenge. Good luck with your low mileage car you’ve just paid a premium for. Now that’s a sure way to get in really deep on one of these cars.

As far as mods go, yeah it’s individual taste, that’s why we do them! Everyone who’s seen the wheels in particular say they look great and I nailed the colour, it’s only paint, they are still the genuine hollow spokes. The blackouts on the intercooler intakes are removable vinyl. Two seconds and it’s off. Oh and if you think the 350mm rotors and massive 997 GT3 calliper’s, maybe a hint of a polished stainless steel Kline exhaust with the standard X50 option exhaust tips look shit, well then you’ve got real issues and probably shouldn’t be here anyway. Plus all the standard parts are included, so why are the mods an issue. 

Well that’s me out, I don’t get on here much anymore, if your in the market come and have a look, I’ve just done a barista course and make a half decent coffee these days, I did say half decent!

Yup, you have polished that car within an inch of its life and spent too much bloody money on it, too much on shit that didnt need changing , i dont know if i would call u a stupid investor or an enthusiast or just an addict . Like your aircool before , anyone  who genuinely wants a solid car , from an owner who is a pedantic old fart who likes things perfect or near perfect , call the man... im not so sure on his coffee , im more sure on the car 

PS  He brags how fast it is  and just so you know , I nearly overtook him in the Vic Alps in a 964 Targa... the difference in speed being .. I was outta brakes , he wasnt ;) 

PPS if you want a set of wheels , I will have the shitty grey ones he painted and swap you for a set I have in my garage in original colour ,  as for his tyres .. I have kicked em real hard ...

14 hours ago, symsy said:

Yup, you have polished that car within an inch of its life and spent too much bloody money on it, too much on shit that didnt need changing , i dont know if i would call u a stupid investor or an enthusiast or just an addict . Like your aircool before , anyone  who genuinely wants a solid car , from an owner who is a pedantic old fart who likes things perfect or near perfect , call the man... im not so sure on his coffee , im more sure on the car 

PS  He brags how fast it is  and just so you know , I nearly overtook him in the Vic Alps in a 964 Targa... the difference in speed being .. I was outta brakes , he wasnt ;) 

PPS if you want a set of wheels , I will have the shitty grey ones he painted and swap you for a set I have in my garage in original colour ,  as for his tyres .. I have kicked em real hard ...

I vote for boost junky vs addict.   As a fellow boost junky who has a slighty different shade of silver take on a 996 turbo, its a cracker of a car.  I've handed over my keys to both @ Fraz and the previous  owner of that car  and sat in the  passengers seat with both owners going for a short spin around the block..

I brought a stock one with an asterisk (  gembella short shifter) and had grand plans ( reckon I've got it over on @Fraz's with respect to too much shit that didnt need changing).  At least he put the parts on the car, mine are bagged and tagged and sitting in boxes.  In boost junky speak thats just prevetative maintenance to ensure your portable amusement park ( a stock one with oval exhaust tips aint no portable amusement park excitement machine  if you have a pulse  and go for a spin  back to back with Fraz'.   Ive lived with a stock one for a very short time in terms  of behind the wheel hours.  If you are in the market for one and thinking better to go with a stock one heres my view. 

@ Fraz's is one of the best 996 turbo's in oz  to drive that is on factory k16 turbos.  Why. 

Reliable and dialed in.  .  Ask an owner if they have have a boost leaker tester.  Enthusiasts / boost junkies are likely to answer yes.  20 year suspect  boost line hoses and sensors  all sorted.

Factory tune vs UMW custom tune.  Kevin at UMW probably the best in the business on the 996 turbo platform.  How many cars in oz been tuned and dialed in with Kevins magic.  think throttle response and torque down low and safe.   Trap for newbies.  Tune, and 20 year old clutch = short fuse before a  replacement clutch needed  unless you just drive in vaccum.   Thats sorted.

Mezger engine note.  Listen to a stock 996 gt3  vs a stock 996 turbo across the rev range. Stock turbo sounds more like a vaccuum cleaner and truly uninspiring.  I have it on good authority that compared to stock, a Kline with a third gear pull and over 5000 rpm aint no vaccum cleaner exhaust note.  The engines note is very addictive and plenty of smiles from doing  miles.

Exhaust.  Compared to a stock one  sporting restrictive 400 cell  cats that has seen  20 years of exhaust gasses , a kline exhaust is much more free flowing and allows the turbos to spool better,   more hp, torque and less lag.  Also half the weight.   

Just got to be in the car to experience the difference over stock

0.7 bar stock  vs 1.2 bar of boost.  Shove in the seat is directly proportional to boost.  Compared to stock the kline exhaust  coupled with the UMW tune just makes it a truly portable amusement park and the biggest boost hit /go to ride  is queing up for a  3rd gear pull and getting the boost gauge north of 1.0bar and closer to 1.2 bar

With extra boost, insta boost throttle response more hp and tq, best not to experience what  Symsy experienced , eg  he ran out of brakes, Stock  996 330mm 4 pots may not do the job as well. I also have it on  good authority,   nothing wrong with porsche stamped part numbers with 6 pot 350mm calipers up front.  Looks wise the 350mm calipers and 350mm disc just fill out the wheel arch better  and look the goods as well.  At worst a bit of a factor of safety over stock if you need to stomp on them.

Suspension and handling

Original factory suspensiion and rubber bits control arms, engine and tranny mounts,and  20 year old springs and shocks and very little geo adjustability. vs new springs and shocks with ride right ajustability and can dial in suspension based on having  coilover overs and supporting link components to give more geo alignment is more top shelf hugo boss suit for any occasion.

Time and money.  Slap on boltons and plug and play a one time uploaded  tune file  and  thats it.  Far from it, need to dial those superior parts and custom tune in   Takes time. 

I brought a stock one without driving one and was the  first porsche I drove. I had grand plans to mod it to improve it over stock.  Brought all the parts to take it to 550hp and a bit more insta boost.    Put a off the shelf  tune on it and exhaust as an interim step.  Happy with that except a noticable difference as a passenger compared to Fraz's car with the UMW tune  ( have paid for a UMW tune with the k16 hybrid turbos i have  and havent been motivated to remove the cobb tune and do t h e required logging and file uploads  with Kevin on my stock k16 turbos as a raincheck.  Reckon tune,  exhaust and pushing under 500hp is the optimal engine performance  ( less risk parts failing and plenty of usable  torque on tap ) 

Installed  upgraded brakes and suspension like @Fraz's  but went a bit further in relation to geo adjustability.  Takes time  the  source the parts and get it all dialled if you counting your pennies and don't wrench yourself 

With @ Fraz's cxar  its just all done and even if you wrench yourself you wont be able to get those quality  preventative  maintenance  / upgraded performance parts and put them on a half decent stock example  and dial it all in for anywhere near the advertised price currently. 

If i did it all again and  Fraz's car came up, all over it for that price.  Buy it,  rego it   insure  it and stockpile it (  boltons already  on the car have the original ones that can be  put back on.  But  from a butt dyno experience , crazy thing to do).  Then drive it wash it wax it show it.  Third gear pull, good luck replicating that experience with stock k16 turbos on any other 996 turbo.  

Even that 189k example a few posts up,in comparison.  2O year old worn plastic shifter mechanism ?, when were the mounts, springs , shocks , control arms last refreshed? ,Screw the pccm unit upgrade.  I dont even bother to use my sticky radio knob.  Prefer the mezger sound tracK   Me thinks  in comparison very loose and noticeable  behind the wheel if you drove it back to back with Fraz's and theres 5k there if your not wrenching to to get it from 50%  to 60% comparable    Even with that spent still a noticeable difference when driving any twisties  and you cant even adjust the ride height or stiffness setup to your liking. Stuck with the 4x4 look and yes front splitters are consumables    Then what a disappointment a third gear pull is that stock example  compared to at Fraz's.  Your at circa 70k for the privilege of buying with a little bit of warranty and less kms ( 91k isnt that premium worthy is it)  but as @Fraz notes he has less km travelled on his parts with same  or better stamped porsche part number or equivalents.  .  70k extra and far from  a mobile amusement  park on wheels in comparison when your buckled  up and going for a ride. 

On 01/08/2022 at 12:54, smit2100 said:

Any tweaks or stock.  .Theres a few posts on here if @szeater searches on what to look for / look out for  on a 996 turbo and cons of certains tweaks.  I have posted more than a few  times  if one was to use the search box  under my user id

Stock TT. I've not been brave enough to make any changes outside of the PCCM+ Upgrade.

On 27/07/2022 at 13:57, flamingporsche said:

My gut feel for pricing (I bought over 2 years ago) is that low mileage manuals are ~$170k.  Higher mileage cars $150k.  Autos about $120k.  As you say - limited stock lately and what's there hasn't moved quickly.  @Fraz has his for sale at present (or recently sold) and is possibly best placed to advise.

I agree with your pricing as it confirms my bias :) 

On 27/07/2022 at 13:57, flamingporsche said:

In terms of bang for buck - 996tt is the best value - then make a few mods to really unleash the hidden potential.  997s want 100k more for headlights and a modestly improved interior.

I actually think the 996 interior is better, but that's just personal taste. It has to my eyes aged much better and now looks "classic" rather than "plastic".

On 27/07/2022 at 14:17, szeater said:

For me this would be the first P-car, and as a second car to have some fun in on the weekends. I grew up with the 996 being the new 911 at the time, so there's a bit of nostalgia factor there, and honestly I love how they look.

For me too, the 996 Turbo was my first P car. I bought it for exactly the same reason as to why you're looking. When I was hanging posters on the wall the 996 Turbo was the car to lust after. Fast forward to 2021 and I bought one. It's also a pleasure to drive and I always find myself looking for somewhere to park so i can look back and admire it.

18 hours ago, smit2100 said:

I vote for boost junky vs addict.   As a fellow boost junky who has a slighty different shade of silver take on a 996 turbo, its a cracker of a car.  I've handed over my keys to both @ Fraz and the previous  owner of that car  and sat in the  passengers seat with both owners going for a short spin around the block..

I brought a stock one with an asterisk (  gembella short shifter) and had grand plans ( reckon I've got it over on @Fraz's with respect to too much shit that didnt need changing).  At least he put the parts on the car, mine are bagged and tagged and sitting in boxes.  In boost junky speak thats just prevetative maintenance to ensure your portable amusement park ( a stock one with oval exhaust tips aint no portable amusement park excitement machine  if you have a pulse  and go for a spin  back to back with Fraz'.   Ive lived with a stock one for a very short time in terms  of behind the wheel hours.  If you are in the market for one and thinking better to go with a stock one heres my view. 

@ Fraz's is one of the best 996 turbo's in oz  to drive that is on factory k16 turbos.  Why. 

Reliable and dialed in.  .  Ask an owner if they have have a boost leaker tester.  Enthusiasts / boost junkies are likely to answer yes.  20 year suspect  boost line hoses and sensors  all sorted.

Factory tune vs UMW custom tune.  Kevin at UMW probably the best in the business on the 996 turbo platform.  How many cars in oz been tuned and dialed in with Kevins magic.  think throttle response and torque down low and safe.   Trap for newbies.  Tune, and 20 year old clutch = short fuse before a  replacement clutch needed  unless you just drive in vaccum.   Thats sorted.

Mezger engine note.  Listen to a stock 996 gt3  vs a stock 996 turbo across the rev range. Stock turbo sounds more like a vaccuum cleaner and truly uninspiring.  I have it on good authority that compared to stock, a Kline with a third gear pull and over 5000 rpm aint no vaccum cleaner exhaust note.  The engines note is very addictive and plenty of smiles from doing  miles.

Exhaust.  Compared to a stock one  sporting restrictive 400 cell  cats that has seen  20 years of exhaust gasses , a kline exhaust is much more free flowing and allows the turbos to spool better,   more hp, torque and less lag.  Also half the weight.   

Just got to be in the car to experience the difference over stock

0.7 bar stock  vs 1.2 bar of boost.  Shove in the seat is directly proportional to boost.  Compared to stock the kline exhaust  coupled with the UMW tune just makes it a truly portable amusement park and the biggest boost hit /go to ride  is queing up for a  3rd gear pull and getting the boost gauge north of 1.0bar and closer to 1.2 bar

With extra boost, insta boost throttle response more hp and tq, best not to experience what  Symsy experienced , eg  he ran out of brakes, Stock  996 330mm 4 pots may not do the job as well. I also have it on  good authority,   nothing wrong with porsche stamped part numbers with 6 pot 350mm calipers up front.  Looks wise the 350mm calipers and 350mm disc just fill out the wheel arch better  and look the goods as well.  At worst a bit of a factor of safety over stock if you need to stomp on them.

Suspension and handling

Original factory suspensiion and rubber bits control arms, engine and tranny mounts,and  20 year old springs and shocks and very little geo adjustability. vs new springs and shocks with ride right ajustability and can dial in suspension based on having  coilover overs and supporting link components to give more geo alignment is more top shelf hugo boss suit for any occasion.

Time and money.  Slap on boltons and plug and play a one time uploaded  tune file  and  thats it.  Far from it, need to dial those superior parts and custom tune in   Takes time. 

I brought a stock one without driving one and was the  first porsche I drove. I had grand plans to mod it to improve it over stock.  Brought all the parts to take it to 550hp and a bit more insta boost.    Put a off the shelf  tune on it and exhaust as an interim step.  Happy with that except a noticable difference as a passenger compared to Fraz's car with the UMW tune  ( have paid for a UMW tune with the k16 hybrid turbos i have  and havent been motivated to remove the cobb tune and do t h e required logging and file uploads  with Kevin on my stock k16 turbos as a raincheck.  Reckon tune,  exhaust and pushing under 500hp is the optimal engine performance  ( less risk parts failing and plenty of usable  torque on tap ) 

Installed  upgraded brakes and suspension like @Fraz's  but went a bit further in relation to geo adjustability.  Takes time  the  source the parts and get it all dialled if you counting your pennies and don't wrench yourself 

With @ Fraz's cxar  its just all done and even if you wrench yourself you wont be able to get those quality  preventative  maintenance  / upgraded performance parts and put them on a half decent stock example  and dial it all in for anywhere near the advertised price currently. 

If i did it all again and  Fraz's car came up, all over it for that price.  Buy it,  rego it   insure  it and stockpile it (  boltons already  on the car have the original ones that can be  put back on.  But  from a butt dyno experience , crazy thing to do).  Then drive it wash it wax it show it.  Third gear pull, good luck replicating that experience with stock k16 turbos on any other 996 turbo.  

Even that 189k example a few posts up,in comparison.  2O year old worn plastic shifter mechanism ?, when were the mounts, springs , shocks , control arms last refreshed? ,Screw the pccm unit upgrade.  I dont even bother to use my sticky radio knob.  Prefer the mezger sound tracK   Me thinks  in comparison very loose and noticeable  behind the wheel if you drove it back to back with Fraz's and theres 5k there if your not wrenching to to get it from 50%  to 60% comparable    Even with that spent still a noticeable difference when driving any twisties  and you cant even adjust the ride height or stiffness setup to your liking. Stuck with the 4x4 look and yes front splitters are consumables    Then what a disappointment a third gear pull is that stock example  compared to at Fraz's.  Your at circa 70k for the privilege of buying with a little bit of warranty and less kms ( 91k isnt that premium worthy is it)  but as @Fraz notes he has less km travelled on his parts with same  or better stamped porsche part number or equivalents.  .  70k extra and far from  a mobile amusement  park on wheels in comparison when your buckled  up and going for a ride.

Yep, what he said ☝️

14 hours ago, Kiwiland7r said:

Stock TT. I've not been brave enough to make any changes outside of the PCCM+ Upgrade.

At the very least, get an exhaust and a Cobb with an off-the-shelf-tune. If you want to improve the driving experience a little more upgrade the shifter and the seats. My choice would be a shifter from Numeric https://store.numericracing.com/collections/911-carrera-997-transmission/products/996-997-transmission-bundle 

On 01/07/2022 at 16:59, the_sovereign_man said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/792523230903677/permalink/2204753393013980/?sale_post_id=2204753393013980

Is the owner of this guards red 996 turbo in here?

(Posting the specs here in case the ad disappears)

2001 Australian Delivered Porsche 996 911 Turbo 
Guards Red with Savannah Tan Interior 
Tiptronic
127km with logbooks 
Untouched and Original 
Brand new Advan AD08R tyres
Registered until May 2023
$150,996 

Just to update; this car sold through collecting cars with the buyer paying $111,836. $106,511 plus 5% buyers fee.

Kms were 135+ and there were a number of things that needed attention that were not originally disclosed in the CS advert. i.e. Rear wing was non functional.

17 hours ago, the_sovereign_man said:

Yep, what he said ☝️

At the very least, get an exhaust and a Cobb with an off-the-shelf-tune. If you want to improve the driving experience a little more upgrade the shifter and the seats. My choice would be a shifter from Numeric https://store.numericracing.com/collections/911-carrera-997-transmission/products/996-997-transmission-bundle

Hmmm, maybe I'll have to look into it. With regards to shifters, it's a tip.

• 1 month later...

I personally can't complain, I was very happy with the final price I paid him for my GT3 2 1/2 years ago, but it did take a couple of months for it to come down from his original ask (before I started looking for a car though).  Good timing played a part too....

On 28/07/2022 at 13:21, on_booost said:

You want a 996 TT to drive? This is the right one.

You want a collector car? Don't buy a 996 - of any kind (unless an RS)

You want to have safe money - Got a bank account?

Buy the seller - not just the car.

What he said.  If you really want an amazing bang for buck 911 experience a great condition, great service history 996 TT manual delivers in spades.  I was an owner for 3 years and sold mine last year to a guy in Sydney who upgraded the original radio and changed the gear shift but otherwise all original.  It was a brilliant car to drive and I only sold it because it was becoming a garage Queen and I knew I could make a decent profit on my sale and get something different.  Tracked it at Phillip Island a couple of times and really got a feel for how amazing the car is.  I was the 3rd owner.  I knew the 2nd owner personally and knew how passionate and fastidious he was about Porsche and looking after his cars.  Always serviced at PCM.  Not that PCM has to be the answer but you end up building relationships with the people who have serviced the car previously.   Which builds trust.   I think the market has gone nuts with the flood of cheapest $$ in history and is in the process of unwinding now.  Not sure what that means for the P market in the next 12 months + but if you want to own an amazing 911 without paying 200K + then you won't go wrong with the right 996 TT manual.  I drive a 993 now and love it but it's a very different driving experience.   The 996 TT is a beast. 

8 hours ago, Thommo66 said:

What he said.  If you really want an amazing bang for buck 911 experience a great condition, great service history 996 TT manual delivers in spades.  I was an owner for 3 years and sold mine last year to a guy in Sydney who upgraded the original radio and changed the gear shift but otherwise all original.  It was a brilliant car to drive and I only sold it because it was becoming a garage Queen and I knew I could make a decent profit on my sale and get something different.  Tracked it at Phillip Island a couple of times and really got a feel for how amazing the car is.  I was the 3rd owner.  I knew the 2nd owner personally and knew how passionate and fastidious he was about Porsche and looking after his cars.  Always serviced at PCM.  Not that PCM has to be the answer but you end up building relationships with the people who have serviced the car previously.   Which builds trust.   I think the market has gone nuts with the flood of cheapest $$ in history and is in the process of unwinding now.  Not sure what that means for the P market in the next 12 months + but if you want to own an amazing 911 without paying 200K + then you won't go wrong with the right 996 TT manual.  I drive a 993 now and love it but it's a very different driving experience.   The 996 TT is a beast. 

What 993 are you driving now and how does it differ from the 996 turbo?

On 21/09/2022 at 06:52, 911virgin said:

What 993 are you driving now and how does it differ from the 996 turbo?

"97 Cab auto.  I always loved the look, sound, smell and small cockpit experience of the 993.  I almost bought one instead of the 996TT at the time but could not go past the amazing driving experience of the TT once I drove it for the first time as mentioned above.  They are chalk and cheese driving experiences as many who have owned both in this forum would agree with I'm sure.  There is no real " one is better than the other " in my opinion because they are such a different driving experience.  I sold my 996 because every time I drove it the temptation to go from 2nd to 3rd gear and 50k's to 150 in a heartbeat was way too tempting.  It's a seriously fast car that feels like your'e not enjoying the P experience unless you are putting it through it's natural paces.  Not great for what feels like our over zealous revenue raising Govt with cameras everywhere you drive.  I always felt that it was a matter of when and not if I lost my licence.   So the 993 is about going slow to go fast if you know what I mean.  I love the sound and smell and analogue feel.  While I really wanted a '96 or '97 C2S manual coupe, the soaring asking prices were and still are crazy in my opinion.  I have been very pleasantly surprised how much fun it is driving a tipper and having the roof off when I feel like it.  It's also much easier as a daily driver through the Melb traffic.   The purists may disagree with me and say there's nothing else but the manual coupe experience to go for.  Can't argue with that - each to their own.  There's no bad here ... just different.   Either car/model is a brilliant choice of motoring in my view if you can lay your hands on one.  

3 hours ago, Thommo66 said:

"97 Cab auto.  I always loved the look, sound, smell and small cockpit experience of the 993.  I almost bought one instead of the 996TT at the time but could not go past the amazing driving experience of the TT once I drove it for the first time as mentioned above.  They are chalk and cheese driving experiences as many who have owned both in this forum would agree with I'm sure.  There is no real " one is better than the other " in my opinion because they are such a different driving experience.  I sold my 996 because every time I drove it the temptation to go from 2nd to 3rd gear and 50k's to 150 in a heartbeat was way too tempting.  It's a seriously fast car that feels like your'e not enjoying the P experience unless you are putting it through it's natural paces.  Not great for what feels like our over zealous revenue raising Govt with cameras everywhere you drive.  I always felt that it was a matter of when and not if I lost my licence.   So the 993 is about going slow to go fast if you know what I mean.  I love the sound and smell and analogue feel.  While I really wanted a '96 or '97 C2S manual coupe, the soaring asking prices were and still are crazy in my opinion.  I have been very pleasantly surprised how much fun it is driving a tipper and having the roof off when I feel like it.  It's also much easier as a daily driver through the Melb traffic.   The purists may disagree with me and say there's nothing else but the manual coupe experience to go for.  Can't argue with that - each to their own.  There's no bad here ... just different.   Either car/model is a brilliant choice of motoring in my view if you can lay your hands on one.  

Thanks for your input and advice👍

• 2 months later...

Well - its been a long time between drinks......

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2006-porsche-911-turbo-997-manual-awd-my07/OAG-AD-21432339/?Cr=4

Lots going for it:

1 - Its not silver or grey or black 😵

2 - Manual

3 - Good Klms

4 - Verifiable History (so it says)

The bad:

Light on spec (mainly because - early car no LSD, etc etc.)

Incorrect offset for rears (spacers)

Shiny  (= DIRTY) interior.

Strange bitsa  GT3 style/Vortsteiner (??)  wing.

Incorrect ad copy. (not 18 Ways, Not black callipers etc etc)

Seems reasonable - and I personally RATE it in white!

4 minutes ago, on_booost said:

Well - its been a long time between drinks..

Agree, there has been very few on Market over last 12 months. 

However, there has been 2 other recent ones you may have missed, both on Carsales in the last 2/3 weeks. 

1 x 997TT Manual Coupe with 10,000 kms in a very cool Grey (Not Seal grey), listed at $295,000.

1 x 997TT Manual Coupe with 55,000kms in Artic Silver, listed at $240,000.

Both were only listed a short time, approximately 4-8 days, and showing as sold. (Will try to dig up links).