GT4 Market watch!

58 minutes ago, on_booost said:

@symsy spitting the old Boomer truth bombs ... :)

Got for a drive ya mug!

Mugs are for tea mate, pressure is for tyres and I got all my wisdom, watching your Tic Toc videos  :) As the saying goes , if it aint Stick you probably got ya hand on ya dick .. On that note , I will go and work out why the gearshift wont sit properly after sorting out my golden rod!!

27 minutes ago, symsy said:

Mugs are for tea mate, pressure is for tyres and I got all my wisdom, watching your Tic Toc videos  :) As the saying goes , if it aint Stick you probably got ya hand on ya dick .. On that note , I will go and work out why the gearshift wont sit properly after sorting out my golden rod!!

Air is for tyres. A lot of hot air 💨😝

3 hours ago, symsy said:

If you want playstation and will track PDK .. if you wanna drive .. manual .. its quite simple..  Manual = Input and joy , PDK .. Punch Out Laps and or sit in the traffic .. PDK is amazing tech and improves my driving no end in terms of timings and yes you can Latte , but plain and simple , be it driving to get latte or ice cream ... Manual simply more engaging and isnt that what sports car are all about..

Both are beyond mosts capacity to drive and will potentially cause sweaty palms, underpant risky moments and give your wallet a work out.  

Perfect analysis, manual wins for the pure engaging experience.

On 16/12/2021 at 13:56, spiller said:

I am a bit bent in the head and don’t subscribe to PDK, even for the track. H pattern all the way. 

Go for a ride with someone on a circuit in a current gt3 or gt3 rs.

I was  firmly in your camp until I did this.

the speed at which you approach corners and the braking capability of the new cars is such that, you can steer and stop the car , but it’s highly unlikely you can also competently change gears too.

if you think think otherwise you are a pro driver or deluding  yourself.

Justin

5 minutes ago, reedminor said:

Go for a ride with someone on a circuit in a current gt3 or gt3 rs.

I was  firmly in your camp until I did this.

the speed at which you approach corners and the braking capability of the new cars is such that, you can steer and stop the car , but it’s highly unlikely you can also competently change gears too.

if you think think otherwise you are a pro driver or deluding  yourself.

Justin

I’ve had 90 minutes on track in a 991.1 GT3. I understand the advantages, but it’s just not for me. I’m happy to accept a loss in lap time for the challenge and engagement that comes with shifting gears myself. I enjoy terrorizing the new GT cars in my near 20 year old dinosaur H pattern cup car for the time being. Slicks more than make up for the lack of PDK 😁

I have had my Gt4 for 6 years now. Love the manual on the track. Definitely agree with the above sentiment. However hoping to get PDK RS variant in the coming year, or so, to see what the lap time changes are. Currently my car is for sale.

Learning to drive a manual box on the track at 9/10ths is a very rewarding experience. The auto blip definitely helps a lot to allow you to focus on corner entry and braking. 

I wouldn't shy away from learning to drive a manual on the track. Just take your time, it's worth it.

11 hours ago, spiller said:

I’ve had 90 minutes on track in a 991.1 GT3. I understand the advantages, but it’s just not for me. I’m happy to accept a loss in lap time for the challenge and engagement that comes with shifting gears myself. I enjoy terrorizing the new GT cars in my near 20 year old dinosaur H pattern cup car for the time being. Slicks more than make up for the lack of PDK 😁

So a 997 cup with sequential shift would be the best of both worlds between yours and PDK? 

On 19/12/2021 at 09:11, wirthO said:

I have had my Gt4 for 6 years now. Love the manual on the track. Definitely agree with the above sentiment. However hoping to get PDK RS variant in the coming year, or so, to see what the lap time changes are. Currently my car is for sale.

Learning to drive a manual box on the track at 9/10ths is a very rewarding experience. The auto blip definitely helps a lot to allow you to focus on corner entry and braking. 

I wouldn't shy away from learning to drive a manual on the track. Just take your time, it's worth it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm just driving on track for the enjoyment of it all. Leaning towards a manual as per the points outlined. Now just need to get on a waitlist ....🙄

To me, the manual makes more sense in a car that can be a little more playful as it's not just about gear shifts - it's also about the relative speed and chassis dynamics. The manual in a GT4 is a nice fit as the dynamics and relative size of the cars are not too dissimilar to a 996/997 GT3 where the manual transmission is a perfect fit. 

Once you get to the 991 GT3 platform the dynamics of the car change considerably and to me a PDK trans makes more sense given the size and capabilities of the car. The limits are so high that to explore them (especially on track) the PDK is just the perfect tool for the job and has been so well designed to suit that package (hence why the 991.2 GT3 RS is a PDK car). 

So, I guess it all comes down to where and how you intend to drive the car. For the most part, the transmission isn't going to greatly speed up or slow down your driving but it is going to play a part in how managing that relative speed feels in terms of an experience. Any of the current GT platforms are fast enough without having to add an extra layer of variability of manual shift to make it exciting but I also get that some aren't actually buying the car to drive fast - it's more about the capability than the reality. So no real right or wrong, just a case of being critical about where you intend to drive and at what relative speed you like to drive in order for things to be exciting. 

17 minutes ago, hugh said:

To me, the manual makes more sense in a car that can be a little more playful as it's not just about gear shifts - it's also about the relative speed and chassis dynamics. The manual in a GT4 is a nice fit as the dynamics and relative size of the cars are not too dissimilar to a 996/997 GT3 where the manual transmission is a perfect fit. 

Once you get to the 991 GT3 platform the dynamics of the car change considerably and to me a PDK trans makes more sense given the size and capabilities of the car. The limits are so high that to explore them (especially on track) the PDK is just the perfect tool for the job and has been so well designed to suit that package (hence why the 991.2 GT3 RS is a PDK car). 

So, I guess it all comes down to where and how you intend to drive the car. For the most part, the transmission isn't going to greatly speed up or slow down your driving but it is going to play a part in how managing that relative speed feels in terms of an experience. Any of the current GT platforms are fast enough without having to add an extra layer of variability of manual shift to make it exciting but I also get that some aren't actually buying the car to drive fast - it's more about the capability than the reality. So no real right or wrong, just a case of being critical about where you intend to drive and at what relative speed you like to drive in order for things to be exciting. 

yes - understand your feedback and totally makes sense on the dynamics and speed difference between GT4 and GT3! and yes - any GT product is going to be great fun!

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2021 at 18:41, cafe_racer said:

I reckon same car.... this time in WA. It's the car that just keeps on giving. But it is great to be able to buy a car, drive it for 6 months and then get your money back including shipping, stamp duties, etc. It has to be once in a generation kind of market.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2015-porsche-cayman-gt4-981-manual-my16/SSE-AD-12145183/?Cr=0

6 hours ago, HWY said:

I reckon same car.... this time in WA. It's the car that just keeps on giving. But it is great to be able to buy a car, drive it for 6 months and then get your money back including shipping, stamp duties, etc. It has to be once in a generation kind of market.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2015-porsche-cayman-gt4-981-manual-my16/SSE-AD-12145183/?Cr=0

I think they are different cars as the exhausts are different 

20 hours ago, HWY said:

How many buckets of cash is a reasonable buy for this car ... 1 full of 100's , 2  full of 50's . 

I tell ya one thing after my experience with a PPI from Chellingworth Perth on GT cars .. i wouldnt send a hyundai for review 

A question from a new GT4 viewer , having a had a CS 997 .. I loved the carbon buckets but wanted more comfort , are the CS seats more comfy?  Any experience?

Or are te seats all as well supported across the variants ?  I know my lady hated the buckets .. in the 997 

Also In terms of resale and not for profit , just ease of shifting on , is the CS chased as much as other GT cars ?

Whats the views on exhaust mods also .. A Sharkwerks bypass was more than enought on a GT3 997 .. whats the go ?  For example this car has a 15k upfgarde , do they really need it , is the value there ? 

I was comparing this ?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2016-porsche-cayman-gt4-981-manual-my16/SSE-AD-12027598/?Cr=1

7 hours ago, symsy said:

How many buckets of cash is a reasonable buy for this car ... 1 full of 100's , 2  full of 50's . 

I tell ya one thing after my experience with a PPI from Chellingworth Perth on GT cars .. i wouldnt send a hyundai for review 

A question from a new GT4 viewer , having a had a CS 997 .. I loved the carbon buckets but wanted more comfort , are the CS seats more comfy?  Any experience?

Or are te seats all as well supported across the variants ?  I know my lady hated the buckets .. in the 997 

Also In terms of resale and not for profit , just ease of shifting on , is the CS chased as much as other GT cars ?

Whats the views on exhaust mods also .. A Sharkwerks bypass was more than enought on a GT3 997 .. whats the go ?  For example this car has a 15k upfgarde , do they really need it , is the value there ? 

I was comparing this ?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2016-porsche-cayman-gt4-981-manual-my16/SSE-AD-12027598/?Cr=1

That car’s owner is a member on this forum and of the PCSA. Have seen it in action, it’s beautifully kept and sounds unbelievable! Pulls away from my 996 GT3 on the straight at the bend (996 GT3 typically rated at around 400hp). I’d say that pipe makes a difference given what a stock GT4 is rated at. Much better buy than the higher milage blue one IMO. The problem with the blue one is the kms are relatively high now. If you drive it a bit for a few years, you could end up with a near 100K km GT4 when it comes time to sell.  I think buyers would be expecting a hefty discount in order for you to shift it just based on the fact that there are many low km options available. Have not sat in the 918 buckets but I’m of the opinion that any GT car deserves (and should have) the bucket seat option. It just adds to the experience. The 918 buckets appear to be much wider and more accommodating than the 997 CS seats…love the 997 seats but clearly not the best for long trips.

2 hours ago, edgy said:

That’s a pretty tasty spec! I can’t say for certain but I’d imagine they are similar to the folding GT2 buckets, of which I recently sat in… WAY better for comfort than the CGT items in your old GT3 CS @symsy

I drove a 7.2 with the folding buckets last weekend and I reckon you’re spot on mate. They’re much wider through the hip and upper back area than the 997 CS seats (which to me feel very similar to the 996 seats)

5 hours ago, spiller said:

That car’s owner is a member on this forum and of the PCSA. Have seen it in action, it’s beautifully kept and sounds unbelievable! Pulls away from my 996 GT3 on the straight at the bend (996 GT3 typically rated at around 400hp). I’d say that pipe makes a difference given what a stock GT4 is rated at. Much better buy than the higher milage blue one IMO. The problem with the blue one is the kms are relatively high now. If you drive it a bit for a few years, you could end up with a near 100K km GT4 when it comes time to sell.  I think buyers would be expecting a hefty discount in order for you to shift it just based on the fact that there are many low km options available. Have not sat in the 918 buckets but I’m of the opinion that any GT car deserves (and should have) the bucket seat option. It just adds to the experience. The 918 buckets appear to be much wider and more accommodating than the 997 CS seats…love the 997 seats but clearly not the best for long trips.

Looks like my, marketing worked , its sold yes ?

13 hours ago, spiller said:

They’re much wider through the hip and upper back area than the 997 CS seats (which to me feel very similar to the 996 seats)

I have 2 x sets of Folding buckets currently, but have also sat in the "918" style buckets. Also had the 996 GT2/3 versions.

Im fat. Amd old. I fit in them. Ive driven 12+ hours in one hit in them. No problems. 

My understating is that the 997 fixed back versions are narrower (ive sat in a CGT with them) and was skinnier (maybe) then, but was probably too excited to actually care......

@symsy - that GT4 is ALLLLLL you. Get a PDK and a zorst = heaven!

On 03/01/2022 at 20:22, Yeatesy said:

I think they are different cars as the exhausts are different 

On 03/01/2022 at 13:32, HWY said:

Definitely the same car, vin # is the same.

What do you think is a fair price for it now? At one point was even advertised at 155k and didn't sell.

Screenshot_20220107-181906_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220107-174141_Facebook.jpg