GT4 Market watch!

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

Given current prices for your garden variety 911, I think the GT4s are somewhat of a bargain.

Sure is, but to me at least, a 5 year old 981 GT4 for $200k is outrageous compared to a brand new 718 GT4 for say $230k d/a in exactly the spec you want ... as long as you don't mind the wait... (and you don't get one of the ones that sounds like a diesel 😅). That applies to a lot of cars at the moment I suppose.

I am definitely thinking a GT4 could be in my future, but I am very happy to wait for covid prices to cool off. Everything is over heated and if you want it now, then you pay what you have to. For me I definitely think as @JWMsaid that the now 6 year old cars are selling for basically the same as what they were new is not sustainable. If you are selling now is the time, if you are buying... maybe wait a little bit ;)

12 hours ago, JWM said:

Sure is, but to me at least, a 5 year old 981 GT4 for $200k is outrageous compared to a brand new 718 GT4 for say $230k d/a in exactly the spec you want ... as long as you don't mind the wait... (and you don't get one of the ones that sounds like a diesel 😅). That applies to a lot of cars at the moment I suppose.

I agree - you can order and get what you want provided you're happy to wait.  Seems like a much better way to go to me at least. 

A pretty basic spec 718 GT4 specced how I would like it with CS package & full buckets comes out to $252k drive away... no fancy stuff like PTS or leather & deviated stitching either. 

If a 981 in a similar spec and low miles came in at circa $200k, I'd agree the previous owner has done okay, but I still dont think I would stump up the extra $50k for the new one?

I may be a small minority, but as the years roll by the less palatable new cars become! 

4.0ltr engine and 991.2 GT3 suspension would be worth the ~$50k entry cost for me, as well as being a new car and spec'ing how you want.  But, wait times etc and while they are asking circa $200k for the 981, Im sure there's some movement so the price delta is likely greater than $50k.  So can see reason for pause. 

I also think that being able to get a 3 pedal manual N/A car is going to go out the window very quickly, in 5 years I don't know that you'd be able to get one (except maybe GT3).  I tend to keep cars long term so also have that angle/lens on it

29 minutes ago, edgy said:

A pretty basic spec 718 GT4 specced how I would like it with CS package & full buckets comes out to $252k drive away... no fancy stuff like PTS or leather & deviated stitching either. 

If a 981 in a similar spec and low miles came in at circa $200k, I'd agree the previous owner has done okay, but I still dont think I would stump up the extra $50k for the new one?

I may be a small minority, but as the years roll by the less palatable new cars become! 

I waver on this, but I do know I’m sick of watching $50k go up in flames the second you drive the thing off the lot. But its easier to justify new buying with Porsche cause it is extremely difficult to get the spec you want secondhand, and some of those options change the character of the car.

Covid times are unusual because that hasn’t been happening, but I’m sure it’ll revert at some point.

718 is not worth 50-70k over a low km 981 in equivalent spec IMO. With the prices of 996/997/991 GT3s staying up there, it’s hard to see 981s dropping much lower than 150 for a long time. The only thing that may put downward pressure on them is the 991.1 GT3, which pre covid were around 200K, but don’t seem to be going back down that way any time soon (new ask appears to be close to 300, but doubtful people are paying these prices?). We have some interesting times ahead with the Porsche market, that’s for sure.

981 GT4 has future classic all over it and the cayman’s impending switch to all electric will expedite that transition, IMV.

1 hour ago, spiller said:

981 GT4 has future classic all over it and the cayman’s impending switch to all electric will expedite that transition, IMV.

This is the thing that could keep all prices up permanently I think. Depending on how fast things happen. 

1 hour ago, edgy said:

My maths was based on speccing out a Spyder, I forgot they were cheaper than the GT4. I suppose that’s the real reason for me a 981 GT4 seems expensive, because what I really want is a Spyder and it’s then pretty close… say $210 d/a versus $235 d/a with exactly what I want, including buckets. 

23 hours ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

I agree - you can order and get what you want provided you're happy to wait.  Seems like a much better way to go to me at least. 

We might be dead of somethingcron by then 

On 08/01/2022 at 20:31, MFX said:

I am definitely thinking a GT4 could be in my future, but I am very happy to wait for covid prices to cool off. Everything is over heated and if you want it now, then you pay what you have to. For me I definitely think as @JWMsaid that the now 6 year old cars are selling for basically the same as what they were new is not sustainable. If you are selling now is the time, if you are buying... maybe wait a little bit ;)

Didnt we say the same about GT3's and  996 , 997 turbos .. ;) In days gone by.  The furrow on my brow isnt old age its the deep burrow of the WTF moments.  I have nightmares over my dirty import 997 turbo,I walked from at 120k, a GT3 996 at 110k and GT3 997  at 170k and only maybe 18 months back 996 GT3RS low 2's.   Im waiting.. the money I put in the bank exactly a year ago seems to have shrunk in the covid tax wash, it hasnt burnt any fuel , didnt make me smile when the roller door clicked through its tracks.

KFC is $20 bucks , what happened to the 5 dollar meal deal and a pub steak used to be $10-15 at most its now $28.

I hope every buys a 992 GT3  and GT4 and dumps the shitters soon.

58 minutes ago, symsy said:

Didnt we say the same about GT3's and  996 , 997 turbos .. ;) In days gone by.  The furrow on my brow isnt old age its the deep burrow of the WTF moments.  I have nightmares over my dirty import 997 turbo,I walked from at 120k, a GT3 996 at 110k and GT3 997  at 170k and only maybe 18 months back 996 GT3RS low 2's.   Im waiting.. the money I put in the bank exactly a year ago seems to have shrunk in the covid tax wash, it hasnt burnt any fuel , didnt make me smile when the roller door clicked through its tracks.

KFC is $20 bucks , what happened to the 5 dollar meal deal and a pub steak used to be $10-15 at most its now $28.

😂 true - wait is 8-9 months for a new order.

I agree the GT and turbo pickings are slim for anyone in the market.

I get why a 996 or 997 GT3 is up in value and will stay there. But they’re 15-20 years old and there’s not many of them.  

But that’s very different (to me at least) to saying 5 year old cars are collectibles now and worth near their retail, while and basically brand new cars (718 GT4s on Carsales) are worth MORE than RRP?! 

I’m no expert but seems like that’s a temporary function of supply and demand… Once supply is back, it can’t last for 718’s and so I’d think that then presses down on 981s too. 

Don’t disagree by the way that “in the current market” if you want a car right now, GT4 seems a good buy relative to everything else … worlds gone mad, etc etc. 

3 hours ago, symsy said:

I’m building 2 new garages. Race you to the old shitters :Beer:

When new cars are actually available it will bring the prices down. It just will. I love the GT4's but I don't see any nostalgia in one of the 'original' 981's. Maybe that will be different in 20 years, but for now, if I was choosing between a 981, 718 or 982 GT4, and they were all the same price, I would be going for the newest one every time... 

2 hours ago, MFX said:

When new cars are actually available it will bring the prices down. It just will. I love the GT4's but I don't see any nostalgia in one of the 'original' 981's. Maybe that will be different in 20 years, but for now, if I was choosing between a 981, 718 or 982 GT4, and they were all the same price, I would be going for the newest one every time... 

I am biased but the 981 is the better pick; design, sound and much more raw then the 718. I don't see where these variants you mention are the same price. There is quite a big dollar margin difference between them.

Also the other key thing is Porsche keep putting their prices up on the new models, which entails helps the used car market.

3 hours ago, HWY said:

Let's not forget 981 GT4 were limited to 2500 units worldwide.  So not that many around compared to 982 GT4.  Porsche like to make some money too.

Not weighing in on what they are worth but in terms of production numbers a bunch of threads on Rennlist etc suggest there were close to 2400 981 GT4 for North America alone. Numbers for Australia on this site suggest close to 200.

Whatever the actual number is no doubt they will make a lot more of the 718 GT4. Both amazing cars.

57 minutes ago, GusTV said:

Not weighing in on what they are worth but in terms of production numbers a bunch of threads on Rennlist etc suggest there were close to 2400 981 GT4 for North America alone. Numbers for Australia on this site suggest close to 200.

Whatever the actual number is no doubt they will make a lot more of the 718 GT4. Both amazing cars.

Sneaky under reporting of production runs. Darn car salesmen.

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Just do it mate 👍

Dangerous sign … you’ve been involved in 100% of the Porsches I’ve bought 😂

Actually, I’m chasing something else that’s a bit “is for sale, isn’t for sale, might be for sale soon” … we’ll see how that goes …

36 minutes ago, JWM said:

Actually, I’m chasing something else that’s a bit “is for sale, isn’t for sale, might be for sale soon” … we’ll see how that goes …

Those are always the most fun deals-  the thrill is in the chase.  Good luck and have fun.

On 10/01/2022 at 14:55, JWM said:

So who’s going to buy that blue one in WA so I can stop looking at it and thinking about how much to low ball them for it? 😂

if thats the low bench mark in all seriousness , wouldnt you be better off making an offer on the two white cars .. closest to that and 1/3 of the kms..  

Surely these folks got their trade in number from Porsche and then went at carsales and now are realising these things aint quite shifting ..  20% less would be the retailers offer.

So 140- 160k ..im guessing their offers 

So you put your offers out to them and see what happens .......Basically its like looking at yourself in the mirror post 50 and having had a big  xmas indulgence and a big night out and deciding which of the super models might even give you a smile back..and a reply to your cheeky offer.

They are all a year older now , being close to washed up ;) 

On 10/01/2022 at 18:23, JWM said:

Haha, that's happened a couple of times here mate 😁

Good luck 👍