The Yellow Peril - my new (to me) 996

Jason E

Hello All,

seems to be the done thing to put on a little intro & story relating to a new acquisition.  I'm not going to go all Gwynny Paltrow on you all & start talking about my Journey through adversity to Porsche ownership but I promise to include a few emotional highs & lows guaranteed to make you laugh, reach for the tissues & hug the dog. 

After selling my 944S2 a few months back I got on the hunt for a 996 tipper that I could use as a daily.  Spoke to a few owners interstate but found it hard to progress given the uncertainty of travel etc, plus my need to see it in the flesh prior to parting with the readies made buying sight unseen problematic.  Then late one Thursday evening just prior to turning in for the evening up popped a 2003 996.2 tipper only a suburb or 2 away here in beautiful Brisbane.

3.thumb.jpg.0e7809858ac891ded940b936930b7bcc.jpg

Now at first Speed Yellow was not my thing but once I looked a few times it started to grow on me.     Contacted the PO & arranged an inspection.  I was a bit blown away by the clean condition of the car.  Arranged a PPI/ general appraisal of the car which returned a good overall report.  All books & servicing evident.

With some negotiation a deal was done & it changed ownership about 2 weeks ago.  

The car has had 3 owners,  done 76 thousand ks & is overall in great condition. 

Has a few delivery options codes

249   Tiptronic transmission, 5-speed,  411   18" Carrera 5-spoke wheels,  680    Bose sound system (analog),  692    6-disc CD changer Becker Porsche CDC-3,  XAG   Carrera fixed rear spoiler

XME   Centre console painted in car color

Also has an aftermarket exhaust system.  The PO said it is "American".  Will have to get a brand etc when it's on the hoist.  The original system came with the sale.  The sound is fairly "robust" though I think not too intrusive to neighbours, Nuns & small children.

wing.thumb.jpg.902a3bd4797087fda0ffe48906aeffa5.jpgseats.thumb.jpg.d91eecd1826566fd663672bd39d40bb7.jpgdoor.thumb.jpg.a8423024e8e5c2581b8fa43aeac6ddc3.jpgdash.thumb.jpg.282c19fa18b51d3e559f61cc5f2638a9.jpg

Booked in to DHM 2nd of Feb for new brakes, major service & trans service.  At the same time I'll discuss options for the IMS solution.

Looking forward to driving it's arse off, though I almost wish I found one that was a bit more ragged so I wouldn't mind using it as a daily.  Will be asking lots of questions about things to change / mod etc.  Thanks to all that answered questions & gave advice over the search.

This was me when I finally got the keys.......................

gwynny.thumb.jpg.4201327e01290bca5cb8cc95d5e5992b.jpg

Looks fantastic mate, congrats 👍

A tip would probably be a priority for me if/when I stop being a procrastinating sook about mine...one day 🙄

The yellow looks great, and I know what you mean re a colour growing on you, as I hated Arena red on a 996, yet now that's probably my favourite colour on them.

Enjoy the ride Jason 👍

11 hours ago, LeeM said:

Looks fantastic mate, congrats 👍

A tip would probably be a priority for me if/when I stop being a procrastinating sook about mine...one day 🙄

The yellow looks great, and I know what you mean re a colour growing on you, as I hated Arena red on a 996, yet now that's probably my favourite colour on them.

Enjoy the ride Jason 👍

The tipper just made sense for my through town commute.  I bought the 944S2 with the intention to daily it (which I did for several years) but a manual (for me at least) is a pain in traffic.

Re colour, I knew I was going to purchase a car on condition first & colour second (as you can always get a quality wrap).  Was stocked at this one being so clean inside.

Thanks @LeeM.

3 hours ago, Nikos said:

That looks nice. I actually prefer yellow over some other colours. Love the colour coded centre console too. Do you have a side profile showing that fixed rear wing? Obviously been well cared for over the years.

Well @Nikos,

As Rob & Deane always said, "I'm glad you asked.............."

Curiosity-Show-2.thumb.jpg.622a59beca514cb1f7428658b7813c7b.jpg

w33.thumb.jpg.3a46f49717918b017a80c99013a24f1c.jpgw22.thumb.jpg.cc653bc111d4fbd4dc40cd7a774cb669.jpgw11.thumb.jpg.4acaf57630c279d3fe3afba7d101b748.jpg

2 hours ago, WOKA said:

Its an absolute and immaculate thing of beauty - well bought Jason, cracking car, love it.  Perhaps even a tad jealous that you have a yellow one and I don't.  Actually, totally jealous..

STOP @WOKA, you're making me all teary......gwynny.jpg.89dd3d49e40ea7aa839d8da496e770bc.jpg

27 minutes ago, Carrera28 said:

Can't help but think that this purchase is only going to get better and better and you will appreciate it more and more with extra seat time.

cheers, looking forward to getting it back late next week after a comprehensive service etc.  Might even get in a drive next friday..........

28 minutes ago, Stepo said:

Very happy for you Jason and glad you came around to the 996 coupe.  I think it will serve you well in every area, much better than the other options being considered.

Thanks @Stepo, appreciate the advice/ phone counselling 😀📞......

3 hours ago, Nikos said:

That looks nice. I actually prefer yellow over some other colours. Love the colour coded centre console too. Do you have a side profile showing that fixed rear wing? Obviously been well cared for over the years.

Actually @Nikos, this is perhaps the most divisive part of the car for me.  One of the things I love about 911's is the way they look when they have no tail.  If I had an A/C car it would be sans tail for sure.  This wing (delivered as a factory option) means there's no retractable spoiler.  First thing I thought was, "I'm ripping that off & replacing with the 'standard' retractable "........ now thought it is growing on me.  I won't be hasty.  Plenty of time for mods.

I am thinking of doing somw colour 'softening' in the near future,  Possibly something like this.......not sure yet.  Possibly in a colour less stark than black.thumbnail_yellow-porshce-991-turbo-s-brixton-forged-pf9-targa-series-wheels-concave-black-10-of-13-1800x1200.thumb.jpg.a37a92ddd7a9b461b1e8891f864eb442.jpg

26 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

You can see it's had some love over the years... I'm interested to hear about the exhaust (brand and what you think of it).  Exhaust is my only criticism of a stock 996, I can't hear it!

Not sure if my phone will pick up the sound very well.  Will def get a brand for you.  It's a stainless system.  I'll get some photos.

33 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Actually @Nikos, this is perhaps the most divisive part of the car for me.  One of the things I love about 911's is the way they look when they have no tail.  If I had an A/C car it would be sans tail for sure.  This wing (delivered as a factory option) means there's no retractable spoiler.  First thing I thought was, "I'm ripping that off & replacing with the 'standard' retractable "........ now thought it is growing on me.  I won't be hasty.  Plenty of time for mods.

I am thinking of doing somw colour 'softening' in the near future,  Possibly something like this.......not sure yet.  Possibly in a colour less stark than black.thumbnail_yellow-porshce-991-turbo-s-brixton-forged-pf9-targa-series-wheels-concave-black-10-of-13-1800x1200.thumb.jpg.a37a92ddd7a9b461b1e8891f864eb442.jpg

Jason, I reckon there's any number of people who'd swap your tail for a plain one.  I was a little bit like you in not liking spoiler (my 996.2 C2 was stock), but must say when I got my LHD Speed Yellow GT3 I fell in love with the clam shell.  I think your spoiler looks great, and is very nearly as nice as the clam shell 🙂  I would also say that, to my eye, your spoiler looks great with no other aerodynamic aids, whereas the clam shell looks a little strange just on it's own, and I think needs the rest of the aerokit to look "right".

As far as softening the yellow with black, nah!!  leave wheels silver, or perhaps a dark silver / grey, but definitely not black in IMHO....

20190817_151626_resized.jpg

33 minutes ago, Jason E said:

I am thinking of doing somw colour 'softening' in the near future,  Possibly something like this.......not sure yet.  Possibly in a colour less stark than black.

Light black? 🙄

Maybe a dark copper or anthracite grey could be worth investigating 

Looks great- I too love speed yellow though am slightly biased in that I am building a 914/6 GT clone in Sunflower Yellow :)

I also like the tail- though not the same, I have a non-standard 996 ducktail on my list of future purchases for my 996 (if anybody has one lying around ;) )

I concur. Yellow cars with silver wheels rule. Yellow cars and black wheels are for noddy nobodies and look shocking to boot.

Well done on joining the yellow fraternity. We're an enigmatic bunch and only the selected are granted access.

If you'd been serious about my car, I was going to seriously look at the one you purchased. Enjoy it Jason.