Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Given it's from the US I'd say it's about 20k overpriced as you can import a better one for a lot less

This ones on its way to Australia and with shipping etc will come in around 60k AUD I reckon

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/966439-1969-porsche-912-coupe.html#post9735168

Wow.!  

I'm surprised this 993 hasn't sold given the black one with more kms and a broken odo sold so quickly (albeit for far less) https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1994/SSE-AD-4860812/?Cr=1

The same thought had recently crossed my mind. I like the colour and suspect I could live with the grey interior. If there's nothing 'wrong' with the car, I feel the time sitting might be telling us something.

I'm surprised this 993 hasn't sold given the black one with more kms and a broken odo sold so quickly (albeit for far less) https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1994/SSE-AD-4860812/?Cr=1

The same thought had recently crossed my mind. I like the colour and suspect I could live with the grey interior. If there's nothing 'wrong' with the car, I feel the time sitting might be telling us something.

I don't think it's sold because:

Potential 993 owners seem to be really really kilometre sensitive.  An order of magnitude more than those looking at 964's and about twice as sensitive as SC buyers.  Maybe a slight exaggeration but you get my point.

It's not that cheap if the engine needs any serious work soon.

As a long term prospect I don't think a 993 is a bad thing as they are still reasonably simple, definitely robust and parts availability is very good .  Maybe not as good as say the evergreen G series but what else is? 

Assuming the engine is just tired and most potential owners would only travel a couple thousand kilometres a year, it might be 5 to 10 years before any serious money needs to be spent so its' probably not a bad buy at all.

The owner has tried selling it twice in the last few years.  I don't recall anyone posting any intel on it.

I don't think it's sold because:

Potential 993 owners seem to be really really kilometre sensitive.  An order of magnitude more than those looking at 964's and about twice as sensitive as SC buyers.  Maybe a slight exaggeration but you get my point.

It's not that cheap if the engine needs any serious work soon.

As a long term prospect I don't think a 993 is a bad thing as they are still reasonably simple, definitely robust and parts availability is very good .  Maybe not as good as say the evergreen G series but what else is? 

Assuming the engine is just tired and most potential owners would only travel a couple thousand kilometres a year, it might be 5 to 10 years before any serious money needs to be spent so its' probably not a bad buy at all.

The owner has tried selling it twice in the last few years.  I don't recall anyone posting any intel on it.

I looked at it a few years back and actually offered the asking price at the time but he decided to keep it.

I thought it was a decent car though I didn't do a PPI but nothing about the car scared me.

I looked at it a few years back and actually offered the asking price at the time but he decided to keep it.

I thought it was a decent car though I didn't do a PPI but nothing about the car scared me.

it's better buying than many advertised 3.2 or 974 cars IMO.

Is a 3.6 rebuild all that more than a 3.2 rebuild?  How much more?  Assuming it even needs one?

I think the 993s are just in that spot now where they are not a hot-Roddable classic but neither are they new/fresh enough to be chased after unless they are minty low milers.  Everyone knows they are a future classic but nobody seems to want to buy or sell.

Ironically a lot more 996 modifying going on due to supply and low prices.

Perosnally I'd love to have that blue car in the garage.  Particularly because you could keep racking up the mileage and just keep up the maintenance as you did. Whatever you spend you'll get back in smiles.  It's not like buying a 100k M car is going to be any cheaper to run, especially with depreciation chucked in.

Perosnally I'd love to have that blue car in the garage.  Particularly because you could keep racking up the mileage and just keep up the maintenance as you did. Whatever you spend you'll get back in smiles.  It's not like buying a 100k M car is going to be any cheaper to run,

especially with depreciation chucked in

Would there still be an depreciation on a 993? Would have thought the 993 would be currently at the lowest point and only going up now?

I have a 993 with 200k+ & it runs perfectly. For its 21st birthday I asked my Mechanic to go over the whole car & fix anything required plus check whether it needed an engine rebuild (which it wasn't showing signs of but I was willing to do for another 200k of fun). He did a leak down and said it was better than many new engines he'd seen....the total cost of its 21st Birthday health check was under $1500. They are fantastic cars....I agree with Coastr regarding their place in the market & suspect their loyal following will grow over time...

Cheers

Matt

Would there still be an depreciation on a 993? Would have thought the 993 would be currently at the lowest point and only going up now?

I meant if you purchased a BMW m car for $100k right now, or something similar.  The deprecation on that would vastly outweigh whatever a full 3.6 rebuild would cost on the 993.   

The 993 will not drop any further if maintenance is kept up.

OK fess up who bought it, spill the beans...rebuild to 3.6...what's it like, whatchya gonna do?

I'm glad someone bought this.  I'm about to build a new house and can't be going off and buying extra toys but jeez it was tempting