Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

23 minutes ago, clutch-monkey said:

i'll second that. they need work to get rid of the doughy mid range. or put the engine in an impact bumper car. which i did.

the 996 GT3 i had did everything better, had effective aircon, six speed etc.

maybe if people put GT3 engines into 964's and 993's they would be more appealing.. ;)

Agree.. all the 964's I've driven are sluggish & i really don't see what the appeal is (unless its a 964 cup).. they were one of the cheapest 911's for a long time for a reason..

Maybe its just the Nostalgia factor that helps get the premiums? It's gotta be... look at all IB pricing, the pricing on those I just cannot come to terms with!

Hypothetically, if I was faced with the choice of eliminating a generation of 911.. it would be the IB cars, I just can't get down with those... and for me, it was the car on the posters in the bedroom wall, so was the Countach & F40... I know what I'd pick. ;)

1 hour ago, James P said:

Agree.. all the 964's I've driven are sluggish & i really don't see what the appeal is (unless its a 964 cup).. they were one of the cheapest 911's for a long time for a reason..

i've been told that to liven up the mid range you need to add the cup cams or sport RS cams or something (don't remember).

couldn't tell you if this works because whilst i did do this, the engine was already in my  SC lol. which made it very lively.
i have a 964 turbo though and i do love the handling of the 964 series.

1 hour ago, James P said:

they were one of the cheapest 911's for a long time for a reason..

I'm curious to know what specifically changed, i.e 964 price climbed significantly while 911 SC remains on relatively the lower end? Was it just general boom in AC value?

37 minutes ago, rufmichan said:

I'm curious to know what specifically changed, i.e 964 price climbed significantly while 911 SC remains on relatively the lower end? Was it just general boom in AC value?

General boom in AC value. Supposed purist AC factor (964 being most 'pure' whatever that means). Bad Boys factor. Singer factor. Perfect storm of events really.

SCs were always worth less though.

Hi all

Remember that black RSR tribute with the turbo motor we were discussing last week with almost no history? I've been talking with Richmonds about it and asked for some photos of the engine and chassis numbers. These match what was on the rego papers (exp Jan 2020) and a PPSR search shows nothing wrong either. However, is it just me or does the engine serial number (from beside the fan housing) look a little bit scratched on (see pic)? I've seen other examples and those have been stamped much more deeply and neater, often with stars at both ends. The number, if correct, matches the range for an engine from 1985, 3.3L turbo ROW, 221kW, and matches the engine type stamped further back (930/66) but...

Appreciate if anyone has an informed view of this.

image.thumb.png.0f192c155c1f8c5afd8618e5b2d9d453.png

I would say it’s going to be a turbo motor, because turboing a 3.2 you likely wouldn’t bother with factory turbo 3.3 intake intake etc (the port size and intake manifold size don’t properly match, the 3.2 manifold  is superior for turbo charging as well)

a turbo 3.2 is a weapon in its own right and you’d want to advertise it as such as it has several advantages over a 3.3

1 hour ago, consideringa911 said:

Hi all

Remember that black RSR tribute with the turbo motor we were discussing last week with almost no history? I've been talking with Richmonds about it and asked for some photos of the engine and chassis numbers. These match what was on the rego papers (exp Jan 2020) and a PPSR search shows nothing wrong either. However, is it just me or does the engine serial number (from beside the fan housing) look a little bit scratched on (see pic)? I've seen other examples and those have been stamped much more deeply and neater, often with stars at both ends. The number, if correct, matches the range for an engine from 1985, 3.3L turbo ROW, 221kW, and matches the engine type stamped further back (930/66) but...

Appreciate if anyone has an informed view of this.

image.thumb.png.0f192c155c1f8c5afd8618e5b2d9d453.png

Looks pretty standard to me (ex 930 owner).  Does it really matter with a car like this, being non matching numbers and quite modified?

Thanks @OBRUT - good to hear from you. No - I don't care about non-matching numbers in this case. It was more about whether the engine might have been part of a stolen car and someone had done a rough job to try and give it a new life - and then later on, it catches up with me and I get left with nothing ...😒

Geez tho' - I would have thought Porsche could do a better job of number stamping 😁

55 minutes ago, clutch-monkey said:

I would say it’s going to be a turbo motor, because turboing a 3.2 you likely wouldn’t bother with factory intake etc (the port size and intake manifold size don’t properly match, the 3.2 is superior for turbo charging as well)

a turbo 3.2 is a weapon in its own right and you’d want to advertise it as such as it has several advantages over a 3.3

I didn't know that! 

39 minutes ago, consideringa911 said:

Thanks @OBRUT - good to hear from you. No - I don't care about non-matching numbers in this case. It was more about whether the engine might have been part of a stolen car and someone had done a rough job to try and give it a new life - and then later on, it catches up with me and I get left with nothing ...😒

Geez tho' - I would have thought Porsche could do a better job of number stamping 😁

Proves they're hand built 🙂 

10 hours ago, consideringa911 said:

I didn't know that! 

The 3.2 manifold is a common go to conversion on turbo motors especially for those using efi. You wouldn’t convert a 3.2 manifold to a 3.3! 

38 minutes ago, juzmister said:

The IMS has not been done. Wonder if it needs doing? 

Not much of a problem on this generation, but being an early 997 may be doable depending on the engine number. Later ones you can’t get to it anyway. If it’s an early enough car to change it, just wait until clutch time. Hamilton’s would probably say the same thing. 

42 minutes ago, juzmister said:

The IMS has not been done. Wonder if it needs doing? 

To my knowledge it’s not able to be done on the 3.8 motor without pulling the motor apart... that’s probably why it hasn’t been done. 

On the 3.6 motors you can access it by removing only the transmission 

1 hour ago, base said:

Not much of a problem on this generation, but being an early 997 may be doable depending on the engine number. Later ones you can’t get to it anyway. If it’s an early enough car to change it, just wait until clutch time. Hamilton’s would probably say the same thing. 

December 2014 build - so I think it’s one of the early ones? Clutch was done at 125k - it’s probably due anyway. 

3 hours ago, juzmister said:

Too much anxiety for a DD I think..

Too many people get hung up in IMS bearings. The most notorious were the 996.2's. I believe a class action was filed overseas against Porsche for the IMS issues covering 996.1, 996.2 and 997.1. They later dropped 996.1 and 997 as there were not enough cases. 996.1 is much more common than 997, and you would have to be extremely unlucky to have an issue with it.

8 hours ago, juzmister said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2005-porsche-911-carrera-s-997-manual/SSE-AD-6581108/?Cr=12

Looks like a pretty honest car? Would be a DD. Has anyone had a look at this one? 

Love that colour!

Pretty sure it was same one that was advertised late last year by a fellow that was moving to the US. 

It dropped as low as 67k, then it sold...

I was half tempted but being a kms nazi (don’t judge me) and it being in QLD it wasn’t the one for me.

F49A15A0-213A-4CB0-B269-A0EEB6BDC68B.png

51 minutes ago, kov said:

Love that colour!

Pretty sure it was same one that was advertised late last year by a fellow that was moving to the US. 

It dropped as low as 67k, then it sold...

I was half tempted but being a kms nazi (don’t judge me) and it being in QLD it wasn’t the one for me.

F49A15A0-213A-4CB0-B269-A0EEB6BDC68B.png

Classic! That’s the one. His friend sold it to him!