Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

3 hours ago, P-Kay said:

Definitely has the brakes. Trailing arms........fair question ;) 

Yup. Highly unlikely. Huge amount of work to get them to work on a non turbo body. 

if you can get some comfort that it’s mechanically sound it could be a really good thing. If the bones are good you could put your own touches on it over time and smash as many kms into it as you please without feeling precious about preserving value. 

Modern ECU. Flex fuel.  E85. More boost. Would be a bullet. Has the transmission to handle it.  

7 hours ago, luzzo said:

New listing for a 964 C2. Great colour combo, but rather ambitious:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1991-porsche-911-carrera-2-964-manual/SSE-AD-3931614/?Cr=0

Drug money for a 964.  Who in their right mind would pay more than a 996 GT3.....?  I’ve owned a good one, trust me, its not $160k.

36 minutes ago, DJM said:

Drug money for a 964.  Who in their right mind would pay more than a 996 GT3.....?  I’ve owned a good one, trust me, its not $160k.

The pricing seems to be roughly inline with the ROW. Over here in the UK, you can pick up a really good 996 GT3 with 50-70,000kms on the clock for around AUD$120-130,000...whareas a really good 964 of the same miles will set you back around AUD$150,000. Indeed, there is a really, really good speed yellow 964 C2 on the market over here for AUD$180,000 and a guards red C2 for AUD$160,000. And just one small point from my perspective since I own both a 964 and a 996...the build quality of the 996 sucks compared to 964 which still feels like a bank vault even thought the cars are 15 years apart.

2 minutes ago, WGA said:

Over here in the UK, you can pick up a really good 996 GT3 with 50-70,000 kms on the clock for around AUD$120-130,000...whareas a really good 964 of the same miles will set you back around AUD$150,000

Hey WGA,

just confirming - do you mean 50-70 Miles or kms..? 

1 hour ago, DJM said:

Drug Money and some ..  Red common as 

I wonder anyone who’s calling out that they are 130 plus , have they owned one , driven one and actually bought or sold at that price arena 

Great cars but not in that arena 

Come on Mike how many beers u had or  u got a few poked away in the shed ? 😊

1 hour ago, luzzo said:

Hey WGA,

just confirming - do you mean 50-70 Miles or kms..? 

Kms. A couple of current examples.

2003 silver 996 GT3 - 39,000 miles/65,000kms is GBP 63,000/$120,000

2004 speed yellow 996 GT3 - 25,000miles/40,000kms is GBP 69,000/$133,000

1989 guards red 964 C2 - 37,000 miles/60,000kms is GBP 75,000/$145,000

1993 speed yellow 964 C2 - 25,000miles/40,000kms is GBP 90,000/$174,000

1 hour ago, DJM said:

^Totally aligned, but perhaps  a typo above.   i.e. 997 GT3......?   For me, compare the pair.   James P's  white 997.1 gt3 up for grabs last month  vs that 964 C2 this month with a can of beer difference in terms of asking prices (997.1 gt3 cheaper).  

5 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

So have I and respectfully disagree with you.

That’s OK, perhaps you’re the guy he needs if he has any chance of a sale.   I get that 964s are appealing but for $160k there are way too many better options including 996 & 997 GT3 or 981 GT4 and change and many other non P cars.

4 hours ago, WGA said:

The pricing seems to be roughly inline with the ROW. Over here in the UK, you can pick up a really good 996 GT3 with 50-70,000kms on the clock for around AUD$120-130,000...whareas a really good 964 of the same miles will set you back around AUD$150,000. Indeed, there is a really, really good speed yellow 964 C2 on the market over here for AUD$180,000 and a guards red C2 for AUD$160,000. And just one small point from my perspective since I own both a 964 and a 996...the build quality of the 996 sucks compared to 964 which still feels like a bank vault even thought the cars are 15 years apart.

Not convinced on the 996 gt3  vs  964 c2  comparison on the basis of having 160k in your back  pocket in oz and you are going to spend it in full.  160k could land you a  997.1 gt3. Just a view, but based on his Scottish heritage,  I would be very  surprised if @ DJM would ever stump up  / see 160k  as value for money for a oz delivered 996 gt3 unless it had factory RS  signage on it and associated fitout.  

If you baseline against a  997.1 GT3 at the lower end in the UK , what around circa  £75 k and any rust concerns with that?   For me a bottom end 997.1 gt3 on  the cost curve   is a more appropriate cost comparison against a 160k 964 C2 in Oz. 

Interesting commentary on your perspective on a 996 gt3.  Any thoughts on build quality  of  a 996gt3 over a 997.1 gt3 or whether a  997.1 gt3 feels  closer to a 964 on the bank vault index compared to a  996 gt3?   I reckon aud 130-140k would probably get you over the line to garage more than at least  one  of the 996 gt3's  that has been up for grabs over the last 12 to 18 months in Oz.    That pricing seems to be close to current values in the UK for 996 gt3's  based on your post.  Maybe a few more km's on the oz cars and only fair condition,  but perhaps less rust is the tradeoff.  Or are those examples you highlighted kept in hybernation and just brought out for polishing.

7 hours ago, symsy said:

Drug Money and some ..  Red common as 

I wonder anyone who’s calling out that they are 130 plus , have they owned one , driven one and actually bought or sold at that price arena 

Great cars but not in that arena 

Come on Mike how many beers u had or  u got a few poked away in the shed ? 😊

Yes I have owned and sold in that 'arena'.

3 hours ago, DJM said:

That’s OK, perhaps you’re the guy he needs if he has any chance of a sale.   I get that 964s are appealing but for $160k there are way too many better options including 996 & 997 GT3 or 981 GT4 and change and many other non P cars.

I agree that there are lots of better cars, depending on how you define better. I'm not here to argue with you, nor do I feel the need to prove you wrong(or myself right!)... but to just present a alternative view to yours. I could imagine that many people who sold cars for a lot less than what they could have, would tend to have the same view as you. It's not right or wrong, it's just your opinion based on your experience.. as is mine... Perception perhaps.

What makes a 2.7RS worth hundreds of thou? 60's tech? a mere 200 hp, no power steering, no aircon, no traction, barely any aero.. pffft! Only a moron would pay that!! Ok, I'm being sarcastic.. I think we all can appreciate the value of an RS... maybe not justify or it (I know I cannot!!), but appreciate.

Whilst I am not "the guy he needs if he has any chance of a sale" this time, I think there are still a few out there. And if the car is as good as the price demands it to be, then good luck to him. 

3 hours ago, DJM said:

Or a 135-140k 981 GT4, no build quality issues there.

I might be wrong, but were there reports on strut towers smashing out from going over big bumps?   

There is no doubt that a 997 GT3 is better car than a 964 for same price but that is not really the point. Its all about supply and demand. 964s are in a purple'ish patch demand wise. People want them because they are seen as the last air cooled car with classic upright headlights and prominent front wings plus bank vault build quality. And the Singer effect doesn't hurt either.  Whereas 996s will always be seen as Porsche's worst design effort ever so will always suffer as a result.

The 997 was a return to form after the 996 and will fast become a modern classic if its not there already. If I had a few spare quid, I would buy up as many manual 997.2 GTSs as I could and squirrel them away for a few years.

I would much rather have a good 964 than any 996 or 997. Indeed, If I could only keep one car out of my 964, 996 or 997, it would be the 964 hands down but thats just my preference.

1 hour ago, Mike D'Silva said:

I might be wrong, but were there reports on strut towers smashing out from going over big bumps?   

Yep. I've seen a few pics online, mainly of rally cars and the Clubsport GT4 where they've collapsed

3 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

i could imagine that many people who sold cars for a lot less than what they could have, would tend to have the same view as you. It's not right or wrong, it's just your opinion based on your experience.. as is mine... Perception perhaps.

I’ve heard that before, I must be bitter because I sold for 63k including a small profit.  But no, nothing to do with bitterness.  To me it was heavy, slow and didn’t rev.  Perhaps I should have kept it and livened up the engine but stock it was much slower and more boring to drive than I expected which is why I only kept it a short time and moved on.  

the fact that I’d come out of a fast clubman probably exacerbated the feeling of weight and performance.  The GT2 cured that 😁  And yes GT4s had some 3rd gear and strut tower issues, not mine.  

Anyway a 964 is worth what someone is willing to pay and maybe there are purists out there who will enjoy it as is at 160k.  I just think they’re mad 🤪. Good luck to the seller.

3 hours ago, DJM said:

I’ve heard that before, I must be bitter because I sold for 63k including a small profit.  But no, nothing to do with bitterness.  To me it was heavy, slow and didn’t rev.  Perhaps I should have kept it and livened up the engine but stock it was much slower and more boring to drive than I expected which is why I only kept it a short time and moved on.  

the fact that I’d come out of a fast clubman probably exacerbated the feeling of weight and performance.  The GT2 cured that 😁  And yes GT4s had some 3rd gear and strut tower issues, not mine.  

Anyway a 964 is worth what someone is willing to pay and maybe there are purists out there who will enjoy it as is at 160k.  I just think they’re mad 🤪. Good luck to the seller.

Fair.

I like to experience as many as I can. Yes, I think you sold for half.. but you've also had some pretty cool cars! Gt2.. wow.. never had the pleasure, I hope one day I do!!!

5 hours ago, WGA said:

There is no doubt that a 997 GT3 is better car than a 964 for same price but that is not really the point. Its all about supply and demand. 964s are in a purple'ish patch demand wise. People want them because they are seen as the last air cooled car with classic upright headlights and prominent front wings plus bank vault build quality. And the Singer effect doesn't hurt either.  Whereas 996s will always be seen as Porsche's worst design effort ever so will always suffer as a result.

The 997 was a return to form after the 996 and will fast become a modern classic if its not there already. If I had a few spare quid, I would buy up as many manual 997.2 GTSs as I could and squirrel them away for a few years.

I would much rather have a good 964 than any 996 or 997. Indeed, If I could only keep one car out of my 964, 996 or 997, it would be the 964 hands down but thats just my preference.

I like the cut of your jib.

8 hours ago, WGA said:

Good luck finding one here. Might be an option in the UK, but i think i've only seen 2 in the last 7-8 years in Oz, and one of them was RS money.

On 24/04/2020 at 14:10, luzzo said:

New listing for a 964 C2. Great colour combo, but rather ambitious:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1991-porsche-911-carrera-2-964-manual/SSE-AD-3931614/?Cr=0

^^This was listed at $115k i think then price was jumped up to $160k

New listing for a cheap import 964 C2 manual cab in WA $43k  https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mosman-park/cars-vans-utes/1990-porsche-911-carrera-manual-convertible/1246503820

58 minutes ago, James P said:

New listing for a cheap import 964 C2 manual cab in WA $43k  https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mosman-park/cars-vans-utes/1990-porsche-911-carrera-manual-convertible/1246503820

Blinked and missed it, sold

2 hours ago, James P said:

Ok, thats a huge jump. At $115k, I can see value. $160 is pushing the envelope IMHO. 

An import Cab 964 at $43k would have been a fun buy :cool07:

On 25/04/2020 at 08:55, DJM said:

i'll second that. they need work to get rid of the doughy mid range. or put the engine in an impact bumper car. which i did.

the 996 GT3 i had did everything better, had effective aircon, six speed etc.

maybe if people put GT3 engines into 964's and 993's they would be more appealing.. ;)