Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

On 30/04/2020 at 21:45, DJM said:

Anyone else not up for buying cars via EBay and Gumtree.  Old Datsun, maybe but a Porsche.......🤔

Despite everything being stacked against it, I got my 996 turbo from Gumtree and it's been a gem.  Remote location - check, lack of photos on ad - check, limited ad description - check.  Did the due diligence, bought the owner and car history.  

Like they always say - you only hear about the bad stories.  I got a good one :) 

6 hours ago, wobaby said:

Wow.  I wonder what needs to be spent on this to get it right?  @DJM one for you to consider.  Nice little project.

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

Wow.  I wonder what needs to be spent on this to get it right?  @DJM one for you to consider.  Nice little project.

I know the cost of Porsche bits,  no thanks

someone should stuff the drivetrain in a cheap GT4

8 hours ago, wobaby said:

It actually doesn't look too bad. The roof doesn't look like it is kiniked at all. It looks mostly cosmetic (plus a couple of airbags). Could be more going on underneath though. What is it worth completely repaired but on the WOVR though? $200k?

Just now, MFX said:

It actually doesn't look too bad. The roof doesn't look like it is kiniked at all. It looks mostly cosmetic (plus a couple of airbags). Could be more going on underneath though. What is it worth completely repaired but on the WOVR though? $200k?

Next project......?

On 29/03/2020 at 05:02, DJM said:

1cb4dop0txm1mkgds685s5gqa.jpg?pxc_method=fitfill&pxc_width=480

1992 Porsche 911 Carrera RS 964 Manual

These Uber rare cars are probably somewhat immune to the current chaos because they very rarely change hands and so if you want one, you better jump when it comes on market.

But why you would price it well ABOVE market in these times is curious 🤔

This has sold. They also moved 2 modern R’s in the last week. Big ticket items. 

There have been plenty of cars bought and sold in these times ... both lower and higher priced.

I dont think the sky is falling like some people are predicting.

If a car comes on the market that you have been looking for, I can’t see anyone passing it over in favour of waiting for it to be reduced by 50% ....

25 minutes ago, Pedro said:

This has sold. They also moved 2 modern R’s in the last week. Big ticket items. 

Cash buyers buying a collectors item are impervious to any downturn. Cash is king.

5 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

There have been plenty of cars bought and sold in these times ... both lower and higher priced.

I dont think the sky is falling like some people are predicting.

If a car comes on the market that you have been looking for, I can’t see anyone passing it over in favour of waiting for it to be reduced by 50% ....

Ask the 1M people who have applied for the dole, or the 5M people who's jobs are currently being supported by jobkeeper if they'd wait.

Economic turmoil doesn't happen when 80% of people can afford to buy stuff, it happens when 20% can't.

New cars are definitely dropping FYI. Just ask anyone who follows 991 GT3s. The new Lambos i'm following are down by 20% (compared to 4 months back) as we speak. The sky may not be falling but there are some good discounts out there.

1 hour ago, Dreamr said:

Went to the local Merc dealer, they had days in April with not a single customer coming in to browse.

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

Cash buyers buying a collectors item are impervious to any downturn. Cash is king.

Ask the 1M people who have applied for the dole, or the 5M people who's jobs are currently being supported by jobkeeper if they'd wait.

Economic turmoil doesn't happen when 80% of people can afford to buy stuff, it happens when 20% can't.

New cars are definitely dropping FYI. Just ask anyone who follows 991 GT3s. The new Lambos i'm following are down by 20% (compared to 4 months back) as we speak. The sky may not be falling but there are some good discounts out there.

6 minutes ago, Spets87 said:

Went to the local Merc dealer, they had days in April with not a single customer coming in to browse.

Retail sales are up, online sales are skyrocketing, electronic sales have seen a huge rise ... from the same 1M and 5M demographics.

Just for clarification .... I wasn’t referring to new car sales or regular 2nd hand car sales (although sales still happening there too)

I was commenting on “special” and “collector” car sales.

I personally will never buy a new car so thats a sale that will never happen yet we bought a 944 only 2 weeks ago as it was the “right car”. These time played no part in even considering whether to buy or not.

My son is in University, lost both his casual jobs and now earns less than 1/2 of what he was, but had been saving up till now for the right car. He is now the proud owner of this 944. 😀

39 minutes ago, Spets87 said:

would you believe I've been trying to buy a Mercedes van for a few weeks. I've had massive trouble!

First one 3 weeks ago the salesman lied about things to do with the vehicle, and there were issues that weren't rectified so the deal fell through. It's still available...

Second one I went to see and test drive last week. We drove out of the lot and there were issues. He said he'd need a week to fix them and that he would call me on Monday. It's now Thursday and he hasn't called. It's still advertised...

Third one I spoke to the guy a few days ago. We established a few things about the car, I was happy to proceed so asked what he could do on the price. No response. I contact him the next day, again no response. I ring him and ask what is going on, and he told me his manager wants to speak to me about it, and that the manager would call back. His manager rang to tell me they didn't want to sell interstate on a truck. I said I'd fly up, so he said ok and he'd call me back while doing a walk around inspection. I told him I'd be happy to do a deal that day, and he said he'd definitely make it happen. It was yesterday lunchtime. The vehicle is still advertised.

All three are Mercedes-Benz dealerships. I've been courteous and extremely patient! But 3 weeks later I still don't have a van. My wife contacted Mercedes Benz head office, they replied to her at about 9.30 this morning saying they wanted to call to help us. Number was provided and there was a READ next to the message. I haven't had a call yet.... 

1 hour ago, Dreamr said:

Retail sales are up, online sales are skyrocketing, electronic sales have seen a huge rise ... from the same 1M and 5M demographics.

Yeah, I'm going to have to ask for a source there.

I'm at the coal face and we're 30% down, with forward bookings although they've lifted about 20% are still 60% down from before this thing started. So I guess a 20% lift is huge if you don't consider where we started from.

I absolutely agree this makes zero difference (at this point) to collector and enthusiast cars, but not everyone here are interested in those.

Unemployment peaked at 11.2% in the 'recession we had to have'. We're at 11% right now. For those thinking that businesses will just reopen, that isn't how economic downturns work. When the owner gets financially ruined, they tend not to reopen on the other side.

24 minutes ago, JLD said:

would you believe I've been trying to buy a Mercedes van for a few weeks. I've had massive trouble!

First one 3 weeks ago the salesman lied about things to do with the vehicle, and there were issues that weren't rectified so the deal fell through. It's still available...

Second one I went to see and test drive last week. We drove out of the lot and there were issues. He said he'd need a week to fix them and that he would call me on Monday. It's now Thursday and he hasn't called. It's still advertised...

Third one I spoke to the guy a few days ago. We established a few things about the car, I was happy to proceed so asked what he could do on the price. No response. I contact him the next day, again no response. I ring him and ask what is going on, and he told me his manager wants to speak to me about it, and that the manager would call back. His manager rang to tell me they didn't want to sell interstate on a truck. I said I'd fly up, so he said ok and he'd call me back while doing a walk around inspection. I told him I'd be happy to do a deal that day, and he said he'd definitely make it happen. It was yesterday lunchtime. The vehicle is still advertised.

All three are Mercedes-Benz dealerships. I've been courteous and extremely patient! But 3 weeks later I still don't have a van. My wife contacted Mercedes Benz head office, they replied to her at about 9.30 this morning saying they wanted to call to help us. Number was provided and there was a READ next to the message. I haven't had a call yet.... 

I had a similar experience trying to buy a van from Mercedes Alexandria. Same 2-3 week run around. Then it got worse when I negotiated on a new 2018 (this was in 2018) van that they had on the lot, they swapped it with a 2017 with the same options / colour and I only noticed when the rego was 1 letter off from what we were negotiating on (took a photo). I pulled out of the deal and ended up buying one from Port Macquarie and getting it brought down on a flat bed.

Tried to make a complaint with the dealer principal, heard nothing.

edit - forgot to add, the original van we were interested in came back online for sale by them about 2 weeks after this went down. They claimed to have sold it at the time.

10 minutes ago, sleazius said:

I had a similar experience trying to buy a van from Mercedes Alexandria.

Boy did I get treated with contempt there when I was looking at the GLA for my other half, I suppose I was meant to get all dressed up for my big date with the salesman, I must have left him hanging with my t-shirt & shorts attire... 

Peter Warren @ Warwick farm, stellar service and better pricing out of the gate, they actually treated me like a human being and not stray canine.

2 hours ago, TINGY996 said:

So what will it sell for?

Group buy?

Next question is what does it cost to repair?

I quizzed my brother who is a Panel Beater and he said $30k going on what photos are available, could be more or could be less.

But looking at the photos it doesn't seem that bad, good for a Targa car.

14 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Yeah, I'm going to have to ask for a source there.

I'm at the coal face and we're 30% down, with forward bookings although they've lifted about 20% are still 60% down from before this thing started. So I guess a 20% lift is huge if you don't consider where we started from.

I absolutely agree this makes zero difference (at this point) to collector and enthusiast cars, but not everyone here are interested in those.

Unemployment peaked at 11.2% in the 'recession we had to have'. We're at 11% right now. For those thinking that businesses will just reopen, that isn't how economic downturns work. When the owner gets financially ruined, they tend not to reopen on the other side.

All you need to do is watch the morning news and the increase in sales is widely reported. Supermarket sales are up 24%, electronic sales are up 11%, online sales of retail has increased 10 - 15% etc, etc ..

The biggest difference between now and "the recession we had to have" is that the government is throwing money left, right and centre to people that need it AND people that don't!!

They are doubling the dole "just for the sake of it" ... like a career bludger actually needs more money now .. they have almost guaranteed anyone that applies for it now will get it ... at double the normal rate .. it's been given to them to keep spending up.

The jobseeker allowance is given to workers whether full time, part time or casual ... that means if a casual worker was doing 5 hours per week, they now earn a minimum of $750 PER WEEK for the next 6 months minimum!! ..

There is a shitload more money floating around now than before.