Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

47 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

They are doubling the dole "just for the sake of it" ... like a career bludger actually needs more money now .. they have almost guaranteed anyone that applies for it now will get it ... at double the normal rate .. it's been given to them to keep spending up.

....more drugs

and the money goes to China.

They can’t lose 🥺

3 hours ago, Dreamr said:

All you need to do is watch the morning news and the increase in sales is widely reported. Supermarket sales are up 24%, electronic sales are up 11%, online sales of retail has increased 10 - 15% etc, etc ..

The biggest difference between now and "the recession we had to have" is that the government is throwing money left, right and centre to people that need it AND people that don't!!

They are doubling the dole "just for the sake of it" ... like a career bludger actually needs more money now .. they have almost guaranteed anyone that applies for it now will get it ... at double the normal rate .. it's been given to them to keep spending up.

The jobseeker allowance is given to workers whether full time, part time or casual ... that means if a casual worker was doing 5 hours per week, they now earn a minimum of $750 PER WEEK for the next 6 months minimum!! ..

There is a shitload more money floating around now than before.

Australian National University study shows $102 billion wiped off household incomes nationally

Sarah IsonThe West Australian

One of those morning news articles.  Maybe a bit of extra  cash with mortgage holidays and job keeper / seeker for some in the near term,  but perhaps a different story by September   when the valves on the taps are throttled right back.   That headline suggests  a shed load of a decrease in discretionary cash in general when the government and banks throttle the valves on the taps post September.   

4 hours ago, Dreamr said:

The jobseeker allowance is given to workers whether full time, part time or casual ... that means if a casual worker was doing 5 hours per week, they now earn a minimum of $750 PER WEEK for the next 6 months minimum!! 

As I work in public housing maintenance, I can assure you the thing that is first and foremost of the minds of the actual bludgers who have said it to my face, is how much more drugs and alcohol they can buy.

As for the jobseeker allowance, I was of the understanding (as told by an employer) that any employee will have to work the hours at their normal rate to get the full $750. If they work half the time, they get half the money. Whether that's correct, its how he sees it anyway 

HI all

Regarding the black RS tribute car ('76 chassis, turbo 3.3L motor) we discussed a few pages ago, in case anyone's interested in it, I can provide an update on what I've found out about the car.  As you may recall, I had heard some rumours regarding a questionable history for the car and after a bit of digging, the car has some issues of which I think forum members should be aware if they are thinking about it.

An inspection by a knowledgeable Porsche mechanic found that the chassis number has been welded in and the engine number restamped. The car has poor leak-down results with one cylinder 60% down and reasonable oil leaks on one bank. The car also appears to have been converted from LHD to RHD but the mechanic didn't look too closely at this at the time. On the plus side, the car is in good condition, may have the turbo rear suspension (the mechanic thought it did from memory but would need to refresh) and for those who want it, it makes big  power (despite the leak-down), as attested to by a brave test pilot from this forum.

These issues may not matter much to some people because at the right price this would be a great car but for me, the risk that car was reborn is enough to scare me off. 😪

5 minutes ago, consideringa911 said:

HI all

Regarding the black RS tribute car ('76 chassis, turbo 3.3L motor) we discussed a few pages ago, in case anyone's interested in it, I can provide an update on what I've found out about the car.  As you may recall, I had heard some rumours regarding a questionable history for the car and after a bit of digging, the car has some issues of which I think forum members should be aware if they are thinking about it.

An inspection by a knowledgeable Porsche mechanic found that the chassis number has been welded in and the engine number restamped. The car has poor leak-down results with one cylinder 60% down and reasonable oil leaks on one bank. The car also appears to have been converted from LHD to RHD but the mechanic didn't look too closely at this at the time. On the plus side, the car is in good condition, may have the turbo rear suspension (the mechanic thought it did from memory but would need to refresh) and for those who want it, it makes big  power (despite the leak-down), as attested to by a brave test pilot from this forum.

These issues may not matter much to some people because at the right price this would be a great car but for me, the risk that car was reborn is enough to scare me off. 😪

thanks for sharing. 

21 minutes ago, LeeM said:

As for the jobseeker allowance, I was of the understanding (as told by an employer) that any employee will have to work the hours at their normal rate to get the full $750. If they work half the time, they get half the money. Whether that's correct, its how he sees it anyway 

Not quite right ...

If you are full time and earn more than $750 p.w you take a pay cut OR your employer can make up the difference to your normal pay .. no obligation from them to do so but still must work your regular hours.

If you earn less than $750 per week, it's party time ... that is the minimum you will get paid regardless of regular hours worked / money earned .... but .. the employer can get more hours out of you if they like, up to $750 at your regular earn rate ..

The big catch ... employers are under no obligation to claim jobkeeper .. which means that both full time and casual employees can be let go and then they'd have to apply for jobseeker ..

5 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Retail sales are up, online sales are skyrocketing, electronic sales have seen a huge rise ... from the same 1M and 5M demographics.

My son is in University, lost both his casual jobs and now earns less than 1/2 of what he was, but had been saving up till now for the right car. He is now the proud owner of this 944. 😀

Second point first.....this is a great purchase but planned for some time.  Money was already in the pocket and has been spent when the opportunity arose.

I haven't seen the numbers but these statements won't be too far from reality - I've spent too long at a large retailer and a part time hobby economist (should have been my career) and career long business intelligence expert......The sales categories that are up are short term brought forwards and special reasons purchases.  The brought forwards are business focused end of fin year spend with accelerated depreciation for very big ticket items.  The special reasons are because people decided to fluff the nest given they were being locked in to it (either laid off or working from home).  Electronics and home furniture are up as a result.  Certain food categories are up due to hoarding as well many families now eating all 3 meals a day at home therefore personal spend is up (at a higher margin as well) but food retail purchases to be converted in to eat in or take away are down (at a lower margin for wholesaler end).  DIY home renovations and gardening are up because people have a lot of spare time to fill.  Exercise activities like bikes and gym equipment is up due to people being stuck at home and need to escape while gyms and sports medicine is down.  Business equipment is down because less businesses are open and less use = less repairs needed....but as they come back on line many may not come back to life and need to be replaced at that time.  So there's plenty of money being spent and plenty also not being spent but my gut feel is that overall spend will be down as many people have lost wages.

Cafe, restaurant and most take away is decimated.  Fuel consumption is down as is the fuel price so these are well down.  Burglaries, drug deals and similar are down as opportunities are significantly down.  Speeding, parking fines etc are down due to reduced traffic which means state and local govt coffers are down.  Rent receipts are down, mortgage payments are down and wages are down.  Some of these will never be fully repaid while others will be significantly reduced.  Lots of money has been saved but also not been earned.  Individuals and super funds have lost a lot of cashflow in the short term.  Longer term, valuations for property particularly commercial will have to be remodelled as rent and hence valuation algorithms will be changed forever which affects most people's superannuation.  I predict a much reduced base and increased performance based ie % of sales.  Suits me as it means the owner shares my ups and down and so to increase their income they need to increase mine by improving my success. They will do this by improving range and bringing customers in to the centre in droves and not handfuls.

Online purchasing is up because people are not allowed to go to shopping centres and are bored so they spend to keep mentally happy, so conversely in-store is down.

Government project spend is continuing but will start to dry up as they start to have reduced inbound fees and projects come to completion.  Private development will slow down as finance while very cheap is also very hard to get approved.  This is for both the developer and the end owner

We are 6+ weeks in to a large scale lock down and people will have started to get their credit card statements and be wondering how the hell they are going to pay them.  In my case, I have 15 staff.  4 have stopped work completely for me, another 4 are on standby for never never time frames and the remaining 7 all have reduced hours and only 4 of that 7 qualify for Job Keeper.  Lots and lots of money is not being spent or earned.  My business turnover and customer count was down almost 75% for the period 10 March to late April.  It's now sitting at 50-60% down - the number of customers has increased but not proportionately to sales which means their average spend is up (which it is - I've modified my offering to be a bigger purchase but less frequent visits).

It's tough out there and will be for a while to come.  The financial effects will be decades in repair mode.  But with most things, adversity also presents opportunity.  And for that, one will need to 'pivot'.  (this is a new fangled COVID-19 appropriated word, apparently 'evolve' is not strong or extreme enough!)

5 minutes ago, jakroo said:

Second point first.....this is a great purchase but planned for some time.  Money was already in the pocket and has been spent when the opportunity arose.

You are correct in what you say above, but my point about this purchase is that if Covid-19 was a factor in luxury purchases, the saved money would be parked in a bank account for a "rainy day" ... saved for that moment when needed.

Yes, this money was saved for a specific purchase .. but was spent without any consideration given to current climate ...

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

The Job Keeper scheme is different to Job Seeker.  JS is an unemployment benefit.  JK is a wage subsidy for employers and is a large minefield. A great initiative but has taken some time to be fine tuned.  It's a little blunt in force but it'll have an effect.

In summary, a business must qualify for it by meeting specified critreria, and it must enrol in the scheme.  At that point, employees must qualify by meeting specified criteria and then nominate to be a part of it.  Without those two actions occurring serially, the employer won't receive the funds.

In most awards, an employee can only work up to 38 hours a week and if they don't work anything like this at the moment, it can only be increased from their normal work hour to something like that if it's for a reasonable reason (if that makes sense).  At $15 an hour that would be 570 but as a JK participant, they would get the 750 from the employer who would receive 750 from the government.  If they only worked 20 hours, they would also get the 750 and they've got a bigger effective hourly rate.  If they earned $40 an hour, then a couple of things could occur.  An employer could reduce the hours (again for reasonable reasons) so they top out at 750, and as a JK participant, they would get the 750 from the employer who would receive 750 from the government.  An alternative is that they keep their hours at the normal value and earn the regular amount of 1520, and as a JK participant, the employer would receive 750 from the government towards the 1520.

Most employers would be looking to make wages as close to neutral ie mostly subsidised by JK to give them as much remaining funds as possible to keep the business otherwise financially viable.

11 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Yes, this money was saved for a specific purchase .. but was spent without any consideration given to current climate ...

Like most purchases at this time where the funds are considered to be surplus to the current and future predictable needs.....Please understand, I'm not giving Brandon a hard time over this mate, he's like many people who have been planning a significant purchase for a long time and have got themselves in to the position of being able to action the plan ..... when opportunity knocks, then emotion starts to take on a more material role in the decision process.  Very few people have the discipline to stop that.  It'd be a rare bird who looks in to the future, sees no way to afford anything small in the day to day minutiae because they don't earn a dollar but then also stops the emotional side from spending a large amount that's in the bank anyway.  Hell, I bought the 968 while unemployed and facing financial oblivion 🙂

1 hour ago, consideringa911 said:

HI all

Regarding the black RS tribute car ('76 chassis, turbo 3.3L motor) we discussed a few pages ago, in case anyone's interested in it, I can provide an update on what I've found out about the car. 

The CarSales add now says "Not Available". So maybe its been sold or withdrawn from sale???? If anybody knows what, please advise us, as I would seriously consider selling my  "Tribute Outlaw Rocket" for that sort of money!!!

Sorry @jakroo, I can't agree with the burglaries, drug deals and the like being down. Ordinary every day people are getting desperate after losing their job, and desperate people do desperate things to survive. That, and when the druggie dole bludgers rejoice with receiving an extra $500/fortnight, they're not paying their bills or saving for a rainy day...they're buying double the drugs and alcohol, so the dealers are taking in the cash. They've said that to my face, as I regularly work in public housing building maintenance and have to deal with these gronks nearly daily.

We'll all pay in the long run, as all businesses will put up their prices to cover their loss of turnover since it all began. Not to mention the billions being supplied by the government to pay for the unemployed. 

I feel for all of you in business, as it must be a tough situation to be in

6 hours ago, edgy said:

Boy did I get treated with contempt there when I was looking at the GLA for my other half, I suppose I was meant to get all dressed up for my big date with the salesman, I must have left him hanging with my t-shirt & shorts attire... 

Peter Warren @ Warwick farm, stellar service and better pricing out of the gate, they actually treated me like a human being and not stray canine.

Explains why I often get short shifted ... torn jeans ,bonds t And volleys 😅

34 minutes ago, jakroo said:

Please understand, I'm not giving Brandon a hard time over this mate, he's like many people who have been planning a significant purchase for a long time and have got themselves in to the position of being able to action the plan .....

Andrew ...

At no time did I ever consider you to be giving Brandon a hard time .. absolutely no need to explain .. I've known you too long to take it to heart ... hell, I give him a hard time every day!!

If I took everything that everyone said to heart, I'd have no friends ... oh wait! ... I don't... 😪