Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Seriously though if you had an unfortunate blip or problem with a motor and its been fully rebuilt would this be of any concern? Surely porsche themselves would warrant such a build to the hilt, i heard of checking the over revs, but a full rebuild becuase of a track day ? I really want a white or silver car , just trying to get to the Gen 2 is a stretch in dollars

I'm guessing a "mechanical" over rev on downshift (missed gear into too low gear), as far as I know no rev limiter can prevent that in a manual car?

Must have been one mighty lockup .. and im sure an event like that would be known around the traps in Melbourne… tell me who wouldnt be enthralled if one of those came back into the paddock on a trailer at your drive day.. tell me your not enthralled when you just see one. Maybe lets see if they will take 41k off the price ;) Then I might jump in.. would you or does that kind history give you a 41k's worth of anxiety.. interesting to know

I'm guessing a "mechanical" over rev on downshift (missed gear into too low gear), as far as I know no rev limiter can prevent that in a manual car?

perhaps i'm overlooking something as I don't really know much about 997's, but isn't a rev limiter a rev limiter--limit the RPM irrespective of what's going on with gear changes. Are you saying that the rev limiter in a 997.2 doesn't kick in on downshifts?

perhaps i'm overlooking something as I don't really know much about 997's, but isn't a rev limiter a rev limiter--limit the RPM irrespective of what's going on with gear changes. Are you saying that the rev limiter in a 997.2 doesn't kick in on downshifts?

In my 2am dream driving sessions , its just keeps going fast and the you just keep dialing it into the corners and you never run out of brakes and somehow changing down rarely seems to come up , just changing up as I power out the corners ;)    Wow thats good question for reality

In my 2am dream driving sessions , its just keeps going fast and the you just keep dialing it into the corners and you never run out of brakes and somehow changing down rarely seems to come up , just changing up as I power out the corners ;)    Wow thats good question for reality

i want one of those cars you drive in your 2am sessions

i want one of those cars you drive in your 2am sessions

Hypnosis and dream therapy available along with crystal healing in Byron mate .. I can even do some sound therapy for the correct dreamstate exhaust note.. airport transfers in Air cooled luxury -- $1000 per night, let me know your check in dates

As far as I know, no rev limiter works on a manual trans down changes (and I cannot see how it could really?). They only work if over revving via the right foot - cut power/ fuel/ etc.

If you over rev on down change you over rev and not much the engine electronics can do about it. Some cars I have heard of have a "weakness" built into the clutch to try and stop this (ie the clutch fails to save the engine - I thought some Subies had this but may be wrong?).

As far as I know, no rev limiter works on a manual trans down changes (and I cannot see how it could really?). They only work if over revving via the right foot - cut power/ fuel/ etc.

If you over rev on down change you over rev and not much the engine electronics can do about it. Some cars I have heard of have a "weakness" built into the clutch to try and stop this (ie the clutch fails to save the engine - I thought some Subies had this but may be wrong?).

Sounds convincing enough for me. I'm tempted to take my car out and test your theory, but the thought of a 41k engine rebuild is enough for me to just agree with your sound logic and wisdom:)

Grabbing second instead of fourth is called the the money shift

The 959 is one of my favourite cars!! Love it, it is gorgeous. Obviously some have no taste!! ;)

If I saw a 959 in the flesh I would probably go all Clarkson and have to lick it, I love the 959. Ok. so I'm not quite like the other kids, hey I drive a watercooled front engine back off man.....

Go down the road in any car at say 100-120k put it into first gear let the clutch out and tell me how the rev limiter went. No rev limiter can stop excessive road to rev speed it simply buzzes the hell out of the engine then you get to spend thousands fixing it. 

I'm with you MB! 

Paris Dakar Rothman 959's are the coolest 911's ever and is probably the reason I had to get a 993 as well as you can see where they came from.Porsche-959-SC-Dakar.jpg 

Couldn't resist stepping into the "please do not enter" area to take this shot. 

Absolutelly impressive and game changing car.

IMAG0802_zpskv0eyz5b.jpg