Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Gents

Do any of you remember the arrow blue 77 930 being sold by the bloke in the Blue Mountains? The roof had been cut off and he found a new roof and welded it on himself. 

Did Magnus Walker buy the car from him? @turboT - any inside intel? 

Just interested to know if it's being given a proper new lease on life.  

I thought the roof was glued on?

??? I knew a real estate agent who once told me much the same thing. "Lower your price to $X, and it will sell tomorrow." Well yeah, of course. The only problem would to avoid being killed in the rush. Why am I paying you again?

I have always found real estate agents the biggest waste of money you can get. They generally don't care how much you get for your house, they just want to sell it as fast as possible and move on to the next cash cow. Why would they work for another couple of weeks to get you another 20k so they can make another $400. They happily take a sh!t load of your money for generally doing bugger all..... ggrrrr.

Sorry, rant over :unsure:

With ya Jeff

We had 2 units to sell on the same day and hour apart. (Not an auction) One agent said she couldn't possibly drop her commission percentage, as it was 2 different sales, so we had to negotiate that separately, yet wouldn't drop below 2%. Huh? NEXT! 

Ended up with a friend of a friend who did a great job with loads of people wanting to buy, and he had 4 people upping the prices. He sold both units for an extra $10k each above our asking prices. I gave him a $2000 cash bonus 

I won't say what the idiot saleswoman was like with the house we're in now though! Grrrr

You're absolutely right mfx.

I've sold my last two places myself.

Saved 15k on one and 6k on the other, and got more than the agent said.

You can do it all yourself with the Internet and good signs.

I have done the same on a few properties now.

I sold one of my houses a few years ago for $60k more than the agents said I could get in 2 days, and it cost me $1400 with premium ad's online, big colour photo signs out the front and 200 flyers (that I didn't end up using) and the agents quoted $22k to do the job!!!

I understand the sentiment about agents, but recently I've had the opposite experience.

I was selling a dog of an apartment in Canberras saturated apartment market.  Took 8 months. Agent held a ridiculous number of open homes. I think in the end, the commission she got was reasonable for the excruciating effort it took to sell. At my hourly contract rate (lost) it probably would have cost me the same if I did the selling.

Re the two 911s on Gumtree, I think the seller would do a lot better if he split them and sold them separately. The prospect of having to buy two cars will put a lot of people off. I admit I could be interested in one of them at the right (realistic) price, but I wouldn't go near both due to budget and space constraints

I have done the same on a few properties now.

I sold one of my houses a few years ago for $60k more than the agents said I could get in 2 days, and it cost me $1400 with premium ad's online, big colour photo signs out the front and 200 flyers (that I didn't end up using) and the agents quoted $22k to do the job!!!

Oh lookout, here comes a new Youtube channel  'Selling homes with Jeff!' ;) 

Re the two 911s on Gumtree, I think the seller would do a lot better if he split them and sold them separately. The prospect of having to buy two cars will put a lot of people off. I admit I could be interested in one of them at the right (realistic) price, but I wouldn't go near both due to budget and space constraints

Surely it would be worth putting that to him ..... put it out there that you would be interested in one of them.

Can't do any harm .....

(realistic) price, 

As market for all things cars, irrespective of condition has altered along with perception of reasonable,  these two examples on gumtree either offer value and or a whole lot of work time cost. Iin terms of 'realistic'   @Jonathan what would that be? 

Edited by michel

I thought the roof was glued on?

in end  Rob may have acknowledged ''JB Weld' even for him, was on the outer of the envelope...visionary maybe... but..

however having seen the car in the flesh he may as well have glued the roof on and IMO  roof should be cut off  and rewelded.

realistically any sane person  would strip it to a bare shell and with great care and expense rebuild it. To not it will for those who know it be a tainted car.. come to think of it of late there's been more than one of those 

Love that one ^^ 

pretty sure that car was for sale in Adelaide maybe a year or 2 ago.  There can't be many red with red wheels 4 seater CS around!  It was posted in this thread and I communicated with the Owner but decided no, if I buy a 968 it needs to be 2 seater with the hard back recaros.  This 4 seat version is certainly rare but I'd want the "real deal".  So I didn't bother........at $45k from memory.  D'oh.

I'm sure its the same car, I also had a shot at it, $38k back then. 

Holy grail 968 CS is surely M030 + M220 with the recaros and roll bar right? But a nice one is a 6 figure car these days... so who would really buy one and track one now? I don't think many.... 

The seller of the red CS is very right in his description, its the perfect Porsche for touring, occasional track work and taking the kids to school and its very unique and rare. 

Lot's of the frustrations in practicality I have with the GT3 I do not have with the 968 CS, who knows... might kick the GT3 out instead if I can't sell mine. :P  

Seems to me that some of you are using the wrong agents. The right agent will add far more value than you could ever achieve. The wrong agents are lazy, good for nothings. It's all in the choosing of the agent.

You may be right, maybe not.

Each circumstance would be different. How can you know for certain?

As market for all things cars, irrespective of condition has altered along with perception of reasonable,  these two examples on gumtree either offer value and or a whole lot of work time cost. Iin terms of 'realistic'   @Jonathan what would that be? 

I would be thinking the first number would be a 3 and I'd want the UK one as it comes with original guards and is factory RHD

I would be thinking the first number would be a 3 and I'd want the UK one as it comes with original guards and is factory RHD

The UK car was originally signal orange and comes with the matching tranny and non-matching engine. 

My offer beginning with a "3" for the UK 911T was met with resounding silence. I did kindly tell him "no worries if he was not interested". So no surprises I guess. 

Seems to me that some of you are using the wrong agents. The right agent will add far more value than you could ever achieve. The wrong agents are lazy, good for nothings. It's all in the choosing of the agent.

Agree. Choose an agent wisely and be prepared to be part of the process. Incentivise a higher sale price and know your market. A good agent will be working 7 days a week for you. If you have a good product agents can go above and beyond but I guess a lot are not that driven. Had 100 people through my place on Saturday 12 hrs after hitting the market and not a single Facebook friend among them ?

You may be right, maybe not.

Each circumstance would be different. How can you know for certain?

Maybe not the place, but I have sold 5 properties since I have been in Oz. All 5 went for more than the maximum any agent said they could get, including the listing agent. 4 achieved either suburb or street highs for the type of property. In none of the cases was it due to the properties being stunning and everything to do with having a smart, hard working agent. The knack is choosing the right one and it takes a lot of homework, but if you are prepared to do it, the information is out there. You start with basic information - length of time working in the area, ranking against other agents in area, number of sales made per year, total value, average value, average time on market etc. Then you get in 3-4 and ask for their valuation and how they justify it. If the justify it off their own sales, so much the better. You need all of this in order to identify who can walk the walk rather than just talk the talk, although it surprises me how few can really talk the talk convincingly. When you get all of this together, I usually find one agent sticks out above the rest. When I appoint an agent do I know for certain I have it right? No, but I do know that whoever i appoint I believe can do a better job than I can, and being an arrogant SOB, I think that bar is set reasonably high:D (that should really be a smug grin emoji but I cannot find one!).

Maybe not the place, but I have sold 5 properties since I have been in Oz. All 5 went for more than the maximum any agent said they could get, including the listing agent. 4 achieved either suburb or street highs for the type of property. In none of the cases was it due to the properties being stunning and everything to do with having a smart, hard working agent. The knack is choosing the right one and it takes a lot of homework, but if you are prepared to do it, the information is out there. You start with basic information - length of time working in the area, ranking against other agents in area, number of sales made per year, total value, average value, average time on market etc. Then you get in 3-4 and ask for their valuation and how they justify it. If the justify it off their own sales, so much the better. You need all of this in order to identify who can walk the walk rather than just talk the talk, although it surprises me how few can really talk the talk convincingly. When you get all of this together, I usually find one agent sticks out above the rest. When I appoint an agent do I know for certain I have it right? No, but I do know that whoever i appoint I believe can do a better job than I can, and being an arrogant SOB, I think that bar is set reasonably high:D (that should really be a smug grin emoji but I cannot find one!).

let me help @SimonN ?

@Jonathan @JonoF next question...what is realistic costs versus expectations to have this returned to some semblance of longhood purity and assuming unlike built like jeff, work is been outsourced and intention is to have a drive experience that won't embarrass at next AH drive as opposed to pebble beach ??  

Agree. Choose an agent wisely and be prepared to be part of the process. Incentivise a higher sale price and know your market. A good agent will be working 7 days a week for you. If you have a good product agents can go above and beyond but I guess a lot are not that driven. Had 100 people through my place on Saturday 12 hrs after hitting the market and not a single Facebook friend among them ?

with you on the right agent and you got great exposure on domain over the weekend as well T. I'm working with REA & Newscorp at the moment on an advertising finance program for vendors and have spent the last 3 weeks meeting with all of the Corporate Agencies offices and some agents (in townsville as I type, talk about a depressed market). There is a huge disparity between brands and agents in what they will do vs should do to sell your property. I'm a firm believer in interviewing a few, its like giving them a job to manage your investments or business, don't just give it to the one with the slickest spin, it's about what their recent results have been.

i would take both those 911's for different reasons, one hot rod and one back to original. No space and no cash?