997 GT3 Market Watch

• 5 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Lot of kms for an Aussie RS too..... also Black on Orange is the most desirable spec according to this guy :Chuckle2:

A stone peppered exterior  being a positive . Love it 

Cool car but the bonnet and windscreen look like they need attention and beyond "patina"

A few comments/observations on this RS ^^ 

70k km's really puts it way out of the realm of "investment grade" IMO, but that doesn't mean its a bad car... 

Some tacky added orange i.e. splitter, rear bar infill and windscreen banner dont help it in my eyes... but it is a cool colour combo, that being said, it wouldn't be my 1st choice, also the wheel stud conversion is reminiscent of a car that needed to have its wheels off & on, on a regular basis, which may explain the patina... no harm, no foul in my book these cars should be tracked!

This comment is an interesting one; "our preference for ''preservation over restoration'' as the car shows the patina of usage via speckled stone chips rather than a glossy respray to conceal the cars true story and scars"

I have to say, this resonates with me having being the former owner of both a peppered car, which was then resprayed... buyers often have very unrealistic expectations and most will complain with both conditions, yet it is unlikely that they'll stump up the extra $$$ for the better, or super low mile example in the condition they seek. 

Which leads to the question, what do the collective feel a value this would transact at? I am genuinely curious, as it has been a while since we saw an open market listing for a 7.1 RS 

3 minutes ago, edgy said:

A few comments/observations on this RS ^^ 

70k km's really puts it way out of the realm of "investment grade" IMO, but that doesn't mean its a bad car... 

Some tacky added orange i.e. splitter, rear bar infill and windscreen banner dont help it in my eyes... but it is a cool colour combo, that being said, it wouldn't be my 1st choice, also the wheel stud conversion is reminiscent of a car that needed to have its wheels off & on, on a regular basis, which may explain the patina... no harm, no foul in my book these cars should be tracked!

This comment is an interesting one; "our preference for ''preservation over restoration'' as the car shows the patina of usage via speckled stone chips rather than a glossy respray to conceal the cars true story and scars"

I have to say, this resonates with me having being the former owner of both a peppered car, which was then resprayed... buyers often have very unrealistic expectations and most will complain with both conditions, yet it is unlikely that they'll stump up the extra $$$ for the better, or super low mile example in the condition they seek. 

Which leads to the question, what do the collective feel a value this would transact at? I am genuinely curious, as it has been a while since we saw an open market listing for a 7.1 RS 

Similar car without the patina and Km pre Covid sat on car sales for some time at $330 K . In my uneducated opinion I think $100K less than asking price 

5 hours ago, wilson59 said:

A stone peppered exterior  being a positive . Love it 

Cool car but the bonnet and windscreen look like they need attention and beyond "patina"

Mate...you know 'patina' adds value to anything...just ask Magnus Walker 👍

1 hour ago, edgy said:

I suggest 997.1 gt3 are a $250k car and 997.1Gt3 RS are $350-375?  

26 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

I suggest 997.1 gt3 are a $250k car and 997.1Gt3 RS are $350-375?  

I can't see any 997 GT3 RS's being sold, even in the current climate, for sub 400k. Mid to high 4's would be opportunistic buying if one was to become available at that ask, I wouldn't be holding my breath though. 

I will add, that is with patina or not. ;)

I wouldn't discount a car for patina, not to be mistaken for neglect, it's just the reality of a car that gets used. Best bit is, as an owner, it doesn't make you too scared to drive it. The alternative is having a 100% perfect car, it's more like a curse than an enjoyable ownership proposition + they are only original once. Once re-sprayed, all that life history gets lost. 

16 hours ago, edgy said:

Interesting, an average of that consensus puts it in the lower $400k range... I do tend to agree with that being the lower and mid 400's being the upper range. I dont see the ask price in it either... however an exceptional car will always buck the averages! 

I have to wonder what devaluation is going to hit this type of car in this condition once the 992 RS hits your local track. With the benefit of active aero, 6 out of 10 drivers become 8 out of 10 drivers overnight. Obviously in collector circles that will make no difference but this car is far from investment grade. Its what I'd call a driver. Use it, abuse it, do the maintenance that is required, and flick it to the next owner when you've had your fun.

Considering the delta between this and a 992 is likely 150k at the current ask, the people who are buyers for this are going to have a dilemma on their hands assuming they can source a 992. Doubly so if they're considering track work. The hoarders of the Porsche world probably won't consider this car unless for a very specific use case.

2 hours ago, sleazius said:

I have to wonder what devaluation is going to hit this type of car in this condition once the 992 RS hits your local track. With the benefit of active aero, 6 out of 10 drivers become 8 out of 10 drivers overnight. Obviously in collector circles that will make no difference but this car is far from investment grade. Its what I'd call a driver. Use it, abuse it, do the maintenance that is required, and flick it to the next owner when you've had your fun.

Considering the delta between this and a 992 is likely 150k at the current ask, the people who are buyers for this are going to have a dilemma on their hands assuming they can source a 992. Doubly so if they're considering track work. The hoarders of the Porsche world probably won't consider this car unless for a very specific use case.

I was thinking the same but more relate it to what I can buy  with same money . The current 991.2 RS is a no brainer 

6 minutes ago, HWY said:

Most of the 992 GT3RS have been spec'd up to high $600s to low $700s at my local P Dealer. I think guys are hoping to be moved up the queue if they put lashings of options on their car spec.

Which dealer? I haven't heard boo from mine, I'd be happy to trade my spot for a Spyder RS though so there is that.

2 hours ago, sleazius said:

2 hours ago, wilson59 said:

I was thinking the same but more relate it to what I can buy  with same money . The current 991.2 RS is a no brainer 

If you were to be using them for the basis of competition, here in Vic at least, the 992 & 997 GT3's would be in different classes. The cost of running a 996/997 GT3 is quite a bit less than a 991/992, this is mainly due to tyres - but it definitely adds up if you are running them on track a lot. 

13 minutes ago, hugh said:

here in Vic at least, the 992 & 997 GT3's would be in different classes.

We used to be until this year... we're now all class 1, the sub-class is purely for benchmarks... needless to say its created a bit of a gap in the field, lots of class 1 cars, no class 2, then 3 & 4 > more grouped up! 

14 minutes ago, hugh said:

The cost of running a 996/997 GT3 is quite a bit less than a 991/992, this is mainly due to tyres - but it definitely adds up if you are running them on track a lot. 

Agree on the tyres/brakes... but you are dead right on the latter part of your comment! My one just copped everything, could have bought a new Korean car with that invoice :lol:

23 minutes ago, hugh said:

If you were to be using them for the basis of competition, here in Vic at least, the 992 & 997 GT3's would be in different classes. The cost of running a 996/997 GT3 is quite a bit less than a 991/992, this is mainly due to tyres - but it definitely adds up if you are running them on track a lot. 

If I am buying an RS I don't really care regarding tyres . The car in question is now 15 years old and 70,000km by the looks has seen a decent amount of track time . I would suggest maintenance on that would be equal if not more than a low km 2018 car ?  

Not many if any will be buying the 997 RS for competition . How many dudes you  know roll like this ? I don't know anybody .

1 hour ago, wilson59 said:

I would suggest maintenance on that would be equal if not more than a low km 2018 car ?  

Refer my response to Hugh, when those items come due, yes you're absolutely correct in the case of a car that gets frequently tracked! I recently did; g/box out, clutch, some internals/bearings changed, new shocks, brakes, service etc etc it felt good before, but now it feels new again :D

Not many if any will be buying the 997 RS for competition . How many dudes you  know roll like this ? I don't know anybody .

Definitely seldom to see any 996/997 GT cars at the track these days, they've mostly succumbed to their local cars & coffee... 

29 minutes ago, edgy said:

Definitely seldom to see any 996/997 GT cars at the track these days, they've mostly succumbed to their local cars & coffee... 

Seems like we're going to get 3 or 4 of these on Sunday to some Supersprints here.  Possibly 2 x 996 GT3s (or 1x3 + 1xRS), 997 GT3 + a gaggle of others hopefully.

And I hope the new owner of my 6.1 GT3 up there is punishing it appropriately........

If I am buying an RS I don't really care regarding tyres . The car in question is now 15 years old and 70,000km by the looks has seen a decent amount of track time . I would suggest maintenance on that would be equal if not more than a low km 2018 car ?  

If you are tracking either, maintenance intervals and the rate of consumables will be the same. In each case, in my experience, it will cost more to run the later model car. Brake pads, more fluids, tyres (especially in 20+” sizes) are all considerably more expensive. 

It obviously comes down to how many days and how hard you plan to drive it at the track. 

I’ll add, age doesn’t play as much as a factor of weight + speed. I can run my old 911’s for a fraction of the cost due to their light weight the consumables are no where near that of a faster, heavier later model car. Mechanically, old Porsches are very robust too so maintenance isn’t as much of a consideration as you’d think. 

1 hour ago, edgy said:

Which goes to my point - if not to track, where is the real value of this car? Too many kms for a collector, too used for a poser. At least in NSW not going to be used to compete.

So who is the buyer? You'd have to think it is someone who is going to try and get a deal, spend the dollars to rehab the car, and keep it for 10 years to bring the value back up.