997 GT3 Market Watch

15 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Which goes to my point - if not to track, where is the real value of this car? Too many kms for a collector, too used for a poser. At least in NSW not going to be used to compete.

So who is the buyer? You'd have to think it is someone who is going to try and get a deal, spend the dollars to rehab the car, and keep it for 10 years to bring the value back up.

Tough one! 

I might be in the minority, but I can't understand the obsession with "values", but I would have to say, if I am thinking objectively about it, that type of buyer would buy the best example now to hold... it's not like buying the worst house in the best street! Renovations are not welcome :lol: and don't get me wrong I am very aware of the value proposition in the longer term, but it doesn't hold weight to a buying decision, I feel it is merely a bonus in the ownership proposition!

In my mind, I cannot understand why one would buy a motorsport car with no intention of using it as such? I feel for the right price, someone would buy it and track it, I know these are the type of examples I am happy to buy personally if the deal is right! 

I think more broadly the 997's actually have a seperate issue that hasn't been discussed here, they are in no mans land presently, they're not old enough to be a 'classic' yet they're not the 'latest and greatest' (i.e. 991 RS) yet 997 are commanding similar $$ to the later (and objectively better) track tool. 

With all that being said, I have always maintained that the 997.1 is the most beautiful water-cooled 911, I'll stand by that and I hope this one finds an owner that will exercise it regularly. 

10 hours ago, sleazius said:

Which dealer? I haven't heard boo from mine, I'd be happy to trade my spot for a Spyder RS though so there is that.

PCB said they hadn’t taken an order for a Spyder RS as of 2 weeks ago 🤷🏻‍♂️

6 hours ago, edgy said:

Definitely seldom to see any 996/997 GT cars at the track these days, they've mostly succumbed to their local cars & coffee... 

Most of the 996 owners have seen there cars double in the last 3-5 years $$ plays with peoples heads it’s all about maintaining this new found value instead of I’ve got $100k profit in this car before I start losing money now that’s a lot fun Kms free. 

10 minutes ago, SS 3 said:

PCB said they hadn’t taken an order for a Spyder RS as of 2 weeks ago 🤷🏻‍♂️

I was at PCB today and the sales guy said Spyder RS is probable but it seems they’re not in a position yet to take orders.  

I did marvel at the 997.1 GT3 CS they’re asking $315k for…..😲

18 hours ago, edgy said:

I think more broadly the 997's actually have a seperate issue that hasn't been discussed here, they are in no mans land presently, they're not old enough to be a 'classic' yet they're not the 'latest and greatest' (i.e. 991 RS) yet 997 are commanding similar $$ to the later (and objectively better) track tool. 

With all that being said, I have always maintained that the 997.1 is the most beautiful water-cooled 911, I'll stand by that and I hope this one finds an owner that will exercise it regularly.

I tend to agree with @edgy on this. I do find the 997 trajectory interesting. Their desirability hit rock bottom around 14/15, then appreciated a little, maintaining approx 50K delta to a comparable 996. In mid to late ‘21 they were the hot ticket again and seemingly hit classic status. Yet now a mere 12 months later we have 5 reasonably good examples in the right spec on carsales that have sat for months. A sign of the times, or is the popularity of the 997 dying again?

1 hour ago, spiller said:

I tend to agree with @edgy on this. I do find the 997 trajectory interesting. Their desirability hit rock bottom around 14/15, then appreciated a little, maintaining approx 50K delta to a comparable 996. In mid to late ‘21 they were the hot ticket again and seemingly hit classic status. Yet now a mere 12 months later we have 5 reasonably good examples in the right spec on carsales that have sat for months. A sign of the times, or is the popularity of the 997 dying again?

I think it is because the delta to the 991  is so small.  When I was looking, I could buy a reasonably well specced 991.1 for $20-$30k more than a 997.  As that was 3-4 months ago, I suspect the delta currently may be slightly lower, which is why the 997s are still there .....

I’d have a 997 GT3 RS over a 991RS. In the right hands (and depending on the circuit) still competitive and a much more rewarding drive. Less about how fast you go and more about how you go fast. Added benefit is that these are special cars and will always maintain a level of desirability as a result. Bonus points for orange or green though if I’m being an idealist! 

On 01/10/2022 at 11:04, spiller said:

997 gt3 are an awesome car…. The problem is just the ask price I think. There are a lot of great cars one can buy in that range, especially beyond Porsche badge.   

9 hours ago, mc968cs said:

997 gt3 are an awesome car…. The problem is just the ask price I think. There are a lot of great cars one car buy in that range, especially beyond Porsche badge.   

Exactly this. Unless you are a one-eyed Porsche guy there are plenty of options for the ask.

On 09/10/2022 at 09:22, sleazius said:

Exactly this. Unless you are a one-eyed Porsche guy there are plenty of options for the ask.

What like a 4.0 Cayman GTS .. comfort and will out run the old Mzzzzzzggggggrrrr.  Can say its bloated some of the newer  GT3s and unobtainium like a GT4 

3 hours ago, symsy said:

What like a 4.0 Cayman GTS .. comfort and will out run the old Mzzzzzzggggggrrrr.  Can say its bloated some of the newer  GT3s and unobtainium like a GT4 

Was more thinking cars with a different badge altogether.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DD911 said:

Sellers thinking last year, buyers thinking next year makes it tough to complete a transaction... 

There is also the little matter of finance that suddenly has more teeth than it has had in the past 10 years. Going to see a lot of deals fall victim to that I'm sure.

9 minutes ago, sleazius said:

There is also the little matter of finance that suddenly has more teeth than it has had in the past 10 years. Going to see a lot of deals fall victim to that I'm sure.

Without a doubt - harder to get for sure & anything other than house rates tend to rise well ahead of the curve. The pool of financiers for older cars is shrinking also unless you're using a different asset to borrow against. Part of the game at the moment is that even if values fall slightly will they fall enough to make a dent on a monthly repayment? At the moment, with values as they are, I would say the cost is significantly higher than even from 3 months ago, which is probably why they're not moving even though 4 of the 5 are excellent cars with the right spec & the right mileage.

• 2 weeks later...