996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

5 minutes ago, KGB said:

we both bought one more for it’s ass anyhow😋

I don’t really care if it drives “better” than my ravishingly sexy C4S. 

964=wifey🥰

996=g/f 😛

Have to agree on all the above points! ... 😅

3 minutes ago, KGB said:

I’ve never driven a 996C2

Just for interest, had you driven a C4S before buying one?

Sometimes it’s a gut feeling that just works out for the best. Years ago I went looking for an MGB and ended up putting a deposit down on my 3.2 (what a blessing that was), purchased my first 944S2 and had never driven one, for the 996 I drove a dog of a cab and 5 mins in my new ride, knew I had to have it.

Maybe Porsche just make great cars, no matter which model you climb into, you can’t go wrong on a solid car.  IMO, no one comes close to them, they’re the best drivers car👌

Never drove a 996 let alone a C4S.  Never drove a 928 either, and when I first drove my GTS after the tranasaction my initial thought was “what the eff have I just done!”.  Now I love it, big lazy beast.  C4S impressed immediately.  I drove a few 964s and wanted a driver’s car in that purchase, so needed to experience widely to make the decision.  Basically I just bought really good, well cared for low km cars in each case.

The great thing about humans is we are very adaptable, but too much info and choice limit us in reality, always searching for ‘better’.

I agree with you, there really isn’t a bad Porsche.  I always wanted both a 3.2 and 944S2, but couldn’t find a low km ‘44. Drove a few of them, super torquey and well balanced. 

2 minutes ago, KGB said:

when I first drove my GTS after the tranasaction my initial thought was “what the eff have I just done!”. 

😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆  

4 minutes ago, KGB said:

Never drove a 996 let alone a C4S.  Never drove a 928 either, and when I first drove my GTS after the tranasaction my initial thought was “what the eff have I just done!”.  Now I love it, big lazy beast.  C4S impressed immediately.  I drove a few 964s and wanted a driver’s car in that purchase, so needed to experience widely to make the decision.  Basically I just bought really good, well cared for low km cars in each case.

The great thing about humans is we are very adaptable, but too much info and choice limit us in reality, always searching for ‘better’.

I agree with you, there really isn’t a bad Porsche.  I always wanted both a 3.2 and 944S2, but couldn’t find a low km ‘44. Drove a few of them, super torquey and well balanced. 

Interesting, after 4 years of my wife having a 987S manual Boxster as a daily drive, with me being occasionally allowed to drive it, I started thinking about a 911 for myself, and a 996.2 C2 Tip (no manuals around at the time) was at the level that I could afford without stretching unduly.  No local cars for sale at all, so test drives had to be in Melburg and Sydeney, at appropriately low traffic speeds.  When I got the car home (in fact my wife did the drive back from Sydney as she had the time, and made it  a mummy / daughter drive with our youngest) I started to drive the C2 a bit and really did wonder what the hell I'd done, as it drove nothing like the Boxster which felt it was on rails.  I was actually really disappointed at first, and it took a run through Lake Leake Highway to Tassie's East Coast ( @Stew F, @Dalai, @MFX and others know the road I'm talking about) a fantastic bit of road with open, flowing corners, for me to understand and start to appreciate the car.  For my uses, that 911 was more a cruiser, and fantastic at that.  Of course, I've since become totally enamoured with 911s, with the 996.2 being succeeded by a 6.1 GT3, which is the pinnacle of all the cars I've ever driven.  Hard to drive really well, but exceptionally satisfying when you get it right 🙂 But, I also love my wife's Boxster (now a 981 PDK), which is also a fantastic car, but in a different way. 

@TwoHeadsTas Porsche make great cars, slightly different personalities and some better suited to individual needs than others.  It’s just a case of matching your needs and giving it a bit of time and the appropriate conditions. But you can’t really go wrong!

Agree that Porsche’s are just a class act.

I loved my 2001 996.1 C2 man. Felt very agile and the 3.4 is a beautiful motor that loves to rev.

The C4S feels a lot more planted and solid, and to be honest the torque of the 3.6 gets it moving  ..that’s for sure.

Different horses for different courses. C2 vs C4 was always the former for me. However the Turbo wide body of the 4S had me hooked. Funnily enough the difference in the driving experience (although discernible) was less than I anticipated.

I just feel the 4S will go down as a bona fide classic.

cheers,

Dave.

10 hours ago, KGB said:

@TwoHeadsTas Porsche make great cars, slightly different personalities and some better suited to individual needs than others.  It’s just a case of matching your needs and giving it a bit of time and the appropriate conditions. But you can’t really go wrong!

Agreed 100%  😁

Just for interest sake, back 5 or 6 years ago when I started my search for a 996 the 4S was priced around the mid 55k. As I followed the market the average price whent from 55k to 75k with in 12 to 18 months and seems to have sat there since. As a result I had to change my search to suit my budget. Super happy with my C2 but for me a wide body would have been the ultimate.

Quick question - did the C4 have the wide body same as C4S?  Was just looking earlier today at one a mate has that had a tree or something fall down on it.  He's in the process of fixing, and I couldn't get all the way around the car, but it did seem to be only as wide as my C2????

11 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Quick question - did the C4 have the wide body same as C4S?  Was just looking earlier today at one a mate has that had a tree or something fall down on it.  He's in the process of fixing, and I couldn't get all the way around the car, but it did seem to be only as wide as my C2????

There was a narrow body C4 and the wide body C4S

2 hours ago, JLD said:

There was a narrow body C4 and the wide body C4S

And that's the difference I think... If there was a 996 C2S that had everything (wide body, front bar, brakes, etc, etc) of the Turbo, I suspect it would be the more desirable (right or wrong!) of the pair, even if just because it would be lighter). Since there isn't, I think (for me at least) it will for me always be a case of desirability being C4S > X51-C2 > C2 > C4.

When I decided to go for a 996 rather than 997, I was originally hunting for a C4S. I pulled the trigger on my C2 based on history, condition, etc trumping anything I'd seen come on the market for quite a while, so that is always a factor but I will always be tempted by a really nice C4S (and was extremely tempted by Disco's car when it listed, but he was literally in the CTS Showroom putting down a deposit when I phoned to make a time to come and look at it... 😂).

Actually, what am I saying, you know what you really matters - the analogue joys of a cable throttle and a factory LSD (that you couldn't option on the 996.2 I believe), all-in-fried-eggs and whatever else the 996.1 has... Clearly they will be worth more than a C4S in mere months, so if anyone wants to get ahead of the game and swap now, let me know... 🤣...

32 minutes ago, rhinosm said:

If I may ask a novice question

Most 996.1 cars have clear fried eggs.

Where as mine has amber lights, being 1998/99.

When where amber lights produced?

I always thought all the '98 & '99 cars had amber lights. When I bought my '99 with clears, I assumed they had been swapped, but Autohaus told me nope, they were factory by then. Not sure if it would depend on the exact build date but from that I take it there was only one year or so of the ambers...

I'm quite partial to the them myself, especially on a white car like yours! Very nice.

That's not much better than a novice answer btw, but that's what I know of it. I have to start reading the phonebook sized book on the 996 I bought, it might have the full answer! 

3 hours ago, JLD said:

Am I right in saying that Carrera 4 had clear first to distinguish?

So I’ve been sifting through this amazing book (the gentleman I bought my car off knew the author and recommended it highly, I can see why!!!) and although there is tons of info in here, I’m yet to find a reference to the switch from amber to clear headlights... I did learn that the C4 was launched in 1999 though and like you say, they all seem to have them so perhaps it’s launch is when all Carreras switched over.

28AAA322-008A-4675-BED3-2F58D893C03E.thumb.jpeg.807e5e99616a520b9fb8446c35535eca.jpeg

Btw, some other random things I learnt today:

* C4 had egas standard in ‘99. It was an option on the Carerra too but not standard until ‘00 (which explains my car still having the cable throttle in ‘99, I always thought it was only ‘98 and that confused me).

* The GT3 was build with a C4 body. It notes in here that it’s a lot stiffer, but I didn’t read why that’s the case anywhere.

* The C4 is 50kg lighter than a 996 C4 - which I think someone here mentioned a few pages back, but the 996 C2 is 69.8kg lighter than the 993.

Also this good advice: 😂

FA9C5D0D-1017-4B16-A2CC-84EE27EEB310.thumb.jpeg.5ee9881b7d7006671773aa9e07da8b88.jpeg

Anyway this is a great book. Well worth buying for 996 tragics old and new @Dreamr @KGB @disco @daveyoul and anyone else at home on a rainy day with nothing better to do that go through a 600 page book about the 996...

4 hours ago, rhinosm said:

If I may ask a novice question

Most 996.1 cars have clear fried eggs.

Where as mine has amber lights, being 1998/99.

When where amber lights produced?

C579A193-6E61-4E62-BE6A-A3BAD069BB82.jpeg

Very nice looking 996 

Your car is build in late 97 then complied  & sold in 98 here in Australia, the amber lights were on 97-98 996's only i believe oh & boxster's of course 

4 hours ago, JWM said:

* The GT3 was build with a C4 body. It notes in here that it’s a lot stiffer, but I didn’t read why that’s the case anywhere.

So clearly C4 is the superior narrow body... no bias of course

On 08/08/2020 at 14:41, JWM said:

So I’ve been sifting through this amazing book (the gentleman I bought my car off knew the author and recommended it highly, 

28AAA322-008A-4675-BED3-2F58D893C03E.thumb.jpeg.807e5e99616a520b9fb8446c35535eca.jpeg

I looked your book up today, not a cheap purchase 😬