992 GT3 market watch

12 hours ago, SS 3 said:

Not excited about the 992 platform. Your such an excitable bloke too!! 😉

Don't get me wrong, the 992's are lovely cars, I just haven't been excited enough to want one...........yet. The release of this latest RS really excites me though, much more than the previous 991 versions. 

I did get out for a drive in my 996 yesterday afternoon and reflected afterwards that I couldn't see myself ever needing a faster car for public road use. The 991 is such a step up, then the 992 further again..............can only imagine the 992RS is beyond usable anywhere near it's limit unless on a track/competition usage. 

26 minutes ago, hugh said:

I did get out for a drive in my 996 yesterday afternoon and reflected afterwards that I couldn't see myself ever needing a faster car for public road use. The 991 is such a step up, then the 992 further again..............can only imagine the 992RS is beyond usable anywhere near it's limit unless on a track/competition usage. 

In the interview with Henry Catchpole and Andreas Preuninger, Andy pretty much states it really isnt a road car. 

2 hours ago, hugh said:

I think that's why I love it so much. 

Me too! 

We've never seen so much separation between the GT3 and the GT3 RS road cars, I was initially wondering how it had become so much more expensive than the previous generation car, but when you understand all the parts that are unique to it, it totally makes sense how it could add up like that! 

As @mc968cs out the box, it comes with a hell of a lot! other than the academics and cool factor of the WP, I think for a mere mortal the "base model" :lol: RS would be more car than you could ever hope for! 

Guess I will have to wait for someone else to hopefully spec the right one now and let grand daddy time do the rest... I really should drive the 996 to take my mind off this! 

17 hours ago, SS 3 said:

Personally I agree with AP that the RS only makes sense on the track. Which of course very few will turn a wheel on at least in AUS anyway:

Have to say, we see heaps of RS tracked in NSW at least.  ie: most of the front group in supersprint has been 991.2 Rs for some events - lots really do get used as intended and aren't garage queens.  

35 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

Have to say, we see heaps of RS tracked in NSW at least.  ie: most of the front group in supersprint has been 991.2 Rs for some events - lots really do get used as intended and aren't garage queens.  

We really do get a great turnout of GT cars don't we!

between 1/3  to 1/2 a half of the field usually! 

http://www.pcnsw.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_nsw/files/PCNSW 2022 Sprint Championship Round 1 2V6.pdf 

http://www.pcnsw.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_nsw/files/PCNSW 2022 Sprint Championship Round 2 2V4.pdf 

6 hours ago, edgy said:

One week on, has anyone on a list got any commitment to an allocation yet? 

It all comes down to commitment. How committed are you? 

Some inspiration;

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=fyre+festival+suck+dick&client=safari&hl=en-au&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiT5sHf6OH5AhUrwjgGHdB4CrcQ_AUoAnoECAIQAg&biw=414&bih=719&dpr=3#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:4014b854,vid:w1Q2pNiHr8w,st:0

9 hours ago, hugh said:

Unable to open it, yet there is some interesting content in the link wording as posted Hugh, so I am curious as to what on earth the image is! 

• 4 weeks later...

Well it finally happened 3 drives in (200kms) one very nervous one home from the dealership and 2 on my local 50km (extended to 70) loop in both instances 😊. First impressions are “it is every bit as intoxicating” as other GT3’s I’ve owned (996.2 & 997.2 both club sports). I haven't taken it over 4500rpm as yet but that wonderful 4000rpm change in sound as the map does its stuff is spot on, i cant wait to hear it rev under load.

The chassis feels alive the cockpit hugs you in just like those before it the steering feel and driving position are magnificent.

The manual box is awesome firm precise short shifting with clutch perfectly weighted.

Talk of the ride been jittery and darty are unfounded on me so far, in fact it feels like any other GT3 I’ve owned only more compliant somehow (tech I guess) still early days but this thing feels bloody sensational 

Just waiting to get the PPF on to add a layer of protection between the paint and those stone throwing sticky Cup 2’s before I rack up the required run in kms. 

5E8B9F92-45BD-4475-A4CC-031FDEDA8E47.jpeg

1 hour ago, SS 3 said:

Well it finally happened 3 drives in (200kms) one very nervous one home from the dealership and 2 on my local 50km (extended to 70) loop in both instances 😊. First impressions are “it is every bit as intoxicating” as other GT3’s I’ve owned (996.2 & 997.2 both club sports). I haven't taken it over 4500rpm as yet but that wonderful 4000rpm change in sound as the map does its stuff is spot on, i cant wait to hear it rev under load.

The chassis feels alive the cockpit hugs you in just like those before it the steering feel and driving position are magnificent.

The manual box is awesome firm precise short shifting with clutch perfectly weighted.

Talk of the ride been jittery and darty are unfounded on me so far, in fact it feels like any other GT3 I’ve owned only more compliant somehow (tech I guess) still early days but this thing feels bloody sensational 

Just waiting to get the PPF on to add a layer of protection between the paint and those stone throwing sticky Cup 2’s before I rack up the required run in kms. 

I will be interested to hear your impressions once you have had chance to ramp it up a bit more. Especially on two particular points. Overall, the ride of my Touring is definitely firmer (even firmer that my 991.2 RS, I reckon) but nicely compliant once you increase speed.....however, there is one situation where the car is not happy. The rear end of the car does not like sharp bumps/undulations that impact only one side of the car. When this happens, the car tends to buck/bounce a lot more than expected and move the car sideways. It's so stiff that it just doesn't seem to like sharp changes in yaw from the rear.  My RS doesn't behave like this.

The other thing is build quality. My Touring is full of rattles. The passenger door, the driver door, the dashboard and some rattles coming from behind the seats. Not one of my previous 16 x Porsches had rattles like this. Its very annoying.

24 minutes ago, WGA said:

I will be interested to hear your impressions once you have had chance to ramp it up a bit more. Especially on two particular points. Overall, the ride of my Touring is definitely firmer (even firmer that my 991.2 RS, I reckon) but nicely compliant once you increase speed.....however, there is one situation where the car is not happy. The rear end of the car does not like sharp bumps/undulations that impact only one side of the car. When this happens, the car tends to buck/bounce a lot more than expected and move the car sideways. It's so stiff that it just doesn't seem to like sharp changes in yaw from the rear.  My RS doesn't behave like this.

The other thing is build quality. My Touring is full of rattles. The passenger door, the driver door, the dashboard and some rattles coming from behind the seats. Not one of my previous 16 x Porsches had rattles like this. Its very annoying.

Have a look at the sway bar settings. I have no idea how they come from the factory but if there is any scope to softening the rear bar, it should ease what you are describing.

29 minutes ago, WGA said:

I can honestly say I haven’t experienced any of the things you talk of as yet, my older GT3’s were all noisy as buggery with small annoying rattles, not sure about 991’s  to me ive always accepted it as part of the ownership experience of a firmly set up car. 
I’ll see how my thoughts develop as I do more Kms 

47 minutes ago, SS 3 said:

I can honestly say I haven’t experienced any of the things you talk of as yet, my older GT3’s were all noisy as buggery with small annoying rattles, not sure about 991’s  to me ive always accepted it as part of the ownership experience of a firmly set up car. 
I’ll see how my thoughts develop as I do more Kms 

It seems that the build quality of 992s is a bit of a lottery. A friends 992 Cab suffers from pretty much the same rattles.

With regards to my past cars, 7 of them were GT cars (964 RS, 996 GT3 RS, 997.2 GT3 RS and 2 x 991.2 GT3 RS plus a 991.1 GT3 and a 991.2 GT3) and the only one of these that got anywhere near the number of rattles of my 992 Touring was the 996 GT3 RS....and that's saying something considering the overall build quality of the 996 generation!

Oh, and one other quality issue with my Touring, which won't apply to you, is its refusal to engage 1st gear (it's a PDK) when cold. When you first start it, no mater how hard you rev it, the clutch will not engage until it's warm. You have to sit in the car and let it warm up a bit....frustrating. This issue has been reported by a number of other owners on Rennlist so it's on my list of items for PCM to check.

Anyway, looking forward to your feedback once you put a few more kms on the car.

1 hour ago, spiller said:

Have a look at the sway bar settings. I have no idea how they come from the factory but if there is any scope to softening the rear bar, it should ease what you are describing.

Good suggestion.

4 hours ago, WGA said:

It seems that the build quality of 992s is a bit of a lottery. A friends 992 Cab suffers from pretty much the same rattles.

I asked our Porsche factory tour guide about how quality is managed.  The production line is one way, non stop, no ability to pull a car out or stop.  Every work station on the line gets 2 min 48 seconds to complete their task.   So what happens if there is a quality issue or a job is not completed in the allotted time…..?   He paused and then smirked and said, we don’t have quality issues here.  

He went on to explain all the checks and balances, final QA check on every car and 1% of all cars gets a test drive.  But as with any process, there must be exceptions and I didn’t get a serious answer about how they are dealt with.  No doubt they focus a lot on quality but it is very much a partially automated production line that waits for nobody.  Better or worse than the old days of hand built cars?  Not sure.

given it’s a shared production line I’d expect whatever gremlins exist with 911 would also apply to 718.  They build 300 a day (& 200 Taycan on a separate more modern, more automated line).