What's putting a smile on your dial?

The Aurora Australis last night put a smile on my dial.  The massive night we had for AAs the night before was washed out by bad cloud cover. So last night I took off to Werribee South Beach and managed to shoot this shot.  Not as spectacular as some I've seen, but I saw it and got it!

It's a bit of a bucket list thing for me.  I've now made new friends to go and shoot it with too - so might get to do this more often. Going out alone to remote locations is not a bright idea, so having found people to shoot with is awesome!

16674638079_ed6fbbf18d_c.jpgP3180039-2 by mmanda withers, on Flickr

Good one ; I was out late with my youngest who's a photographer. He's a night owl anyway so the prospect of a maths test next day didn't bother him. Anyway he got a few nice shots. Here's a good techy site for alerting you to the likelihood . Red is good , if no clouds get rugged up and out there!

The Aurora Australis last night put a smile on my dial.  The massive night we had for AAs the night before was washed out by bad cloud cover. So last night I took off to Werribee South Beach and managed to shoot this shot.  Not as spectacular as some I've seen, but I saw it and got it!

It's a bit of a bucket list thing for me.  I've now made new friends to go and shoot it with too - so might get to do this more often. Going out alone to remote locations is not a bright idea, so having found people to shoot with is awesome!

That's a great photo Amanda.  I was on the amateur astronomy forum last night (Ice In Space forum) where it was mentioned that the AA could be seen from as far north as Queensland.  Didn't see anything from my place, southeast of Adelaide. 

The is for the comments guys. This was a freaky occurrence. A one in ten year type of Aurora!

Mostly you can't seenit with the naked eye, need a camera to capture the long exposure BUT last Tues it was so strong could even see it with the naked eye! Very cool :)

People have posted pics from Goulburn NSW, Ararat in Vic, near Bendigo and as mentioned above even QLD. Amazing! Poor Tassie was so covered In cloud they couldn't see it and they'd have been able to, would have been amazing.

Nice one Amanda

I had a win today

Been having drama after drama with my brakes not bleeding up after 9456 attempts.

I admitted defeat, and rang around all the mobile brake mobs in Adelaide. Noone wanted the job, yet the last bloke said he's not mobile, but works around the corner and would drop in for a look to see whats up. Beauty!!

So blokey rolls up, looks at the back calipers, all good. Gets under the car, no leaks at the master, then looks at the front calipers.

'Who fitted your calipers mate?'

Errrr, I did!

'You've fitted them on the wrong sides. Bleed nipples should be on top'

Ah shit!

Blokey leaves me to it with no charge and wouldnt accept a 6 pack or bottle of scotch, my mate rolls up for a beer or two, we have a go at bleeding brakes. Sorted in 15 minutes 

I have brakes, test drive tomorrow. I'm smiling! Albeit a little red faced   :D

To properly bleed the brakes on an old series Land Rover you have to tip the car upside down. Seriously.

yeah well, they were built on the other side of the world….so you'd be tipping it over to the way it was built  :rolleyes:

Nice one Amanda

I had a win today

Been having drama after drama with my brakes not bleeding up after 9456 attempts.

I admitted defeat, and rang around all the mobile brake mobs in Adelaide. Noone wanted the job, yet the last bloke said he's not mobile, but works around the corner and would drop in for a look to see whats up. Beauty!!

So blokey rolls up, looks at the back calipers, all good. Gets under the car, no leaks at the master, then looks at the front calipers.

'Who fitted your calipers mate?'

Errrr, I did!

'You've fitted them on the wrong sides. Bleed nipples should be on top'

Ah shit!

Blokey leaves me to it with no charge and wouldnt accept a 6 pack or bottle of scotch, my mate rolls up for a beer or two, we have a go at bleeding brakes. Sorted in 15 minutes 

I have brakes, test drive tomorrow. I'm smiling! Albeit a little red faced   :D

Fell for that with the clutch slave cylinder on my alfa many years ago

Don't worry about poor Tassie. It's pretty rich down here! In fact I'll just wander down the road now...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/auroraaustralis/#

Yep I've been a member of that group for a long time now - bunch of bloody show offs!  teehee

And i have a phone interview Monday!  One step closer to employment :D

yeah well, they were built on the other side of the world….so you'd be tipping it over to the way it was built  :rolleyes:

Actually they were built in Australia as CKD (complete knockdown kits)

Notwithstanding they were engineered in England.

At least you can get to the bleed screw easily , in fact you don't ever need a hoist to service these vehicles. I call that brilliant.

My car must have been suffering from Canberra SMT withdrawal symptoms.  

Left it down the driveway not in the garage for the night.

About 11.00 pm the alarm started sounding for no apparent reason.

The smile on the face bit   (apart from waking us and the neighbours up) is I never even knew it had an alarm fitted.

Every time I have filled out an Insurance renewal I have stated that it only has an immobiliser.    

After 7 years I find out it actually has an alarm...a loud alarm at that.