996 GT3 Purchase

1 hour ago, On the Limit said:

Much talk about UK priced cars so I thought I'd run some numbers. 

Perfect. Thanks for sharing this and going to the effort of preparing the calculations. 

As you say, the "benefits and savings" of bringing cars from OS are often bandied about on here, yet the math & real $AU costs often never actually considered.  Further, once you have purchased a New car in Aus (at around these price points) and seen & paid the added on Taxes, the pain is real - which somehow seems to make the second hand Aus delivered P-Car prices more justifiable. 

3 hours ago, On the Limit said:

Much talk about UK priced cars so I thought I'd run some numbers.  Clearly, Down Under we pay a much higher premium for our cars.  See table below.   

If we had paid the same UK MSRP premium of 27%, the MSRP in Australia would have been reduced from $225,000 to around $186,585

OR roughly $38,000 less.

Porsche 996 GT3 MK1

MSRP first published in May 1999 @ 179,500 DEM (German Deutsche Marks)

MSRP excludes options costs, dealer delivery, stamp duty, and other government charges.

May 1999 - First Published Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price in German Deutsche Marks

AUD/DEM exchange rate in May 1999 = 1.22.  Actual exchange rate varied from 1.04 - 1.31 during 2000 & 2001

You can still convert DEM to currencies like the EUR, USD & AUD today.  There are still old pre 2002 DEM's around.  The AUD exchange rate today is around 1.22  IE: the same as May 1999!

Theoretical MSRP in AUD based on 1.22 exchange rate

actual MSRP in AUD

MSRP Premium = 53%

GBP/DEM exchange rate in May 1999 = 2.97  Actual rate varied from 2.97 - 3.1 during 2000 - 2001

Theoretical MSRP in GBP based on 2.97 exchange rate

actual list price in GBP

MSRP Premium = 27%

AUD/GBP exchange rate in May 1999 = 0.41

Today this rate is closer to 0.52 which is around 26% higher than 1999

Theoretical MSRP in AUD based on GBP list price

MSRP Premium = 27%

So, is it worth buying that 996 GT3 MK1 from Piston heads assuming you don't want to wait 2-3 years to use it?

Assume Buy price = 70,000 GBP.  AUD/GBP spot exchange rate = 0.52 = 0.49/0.48 after currency conversion & commission charges. 

Likely buy price around $143,000

Next add 10% GST + 5% Import duty + 33% Luxury Car Tax 

refer to Tax calculator below which shows the numbers assuming your shipping costs are as low as $2000 which is conservative given current container costs

are through the roof.

Total additional costs = $54,317.          

That takes the sub total to $197,300

Then there is insurance, storage, delivery & logistics services charges.  Customs brokers' and entry processing charges. 

Steam cleaning, aircon de-gassing/re-gassing and quarantine inspection charges.  The list and paperwork go on.

Let’s add another $2700 which gets us to $200,000. 

So for $200,000 AUD you now have a UK car in Australia that's worth 70,000 British Pounds Sterling.

834258026_Importdutycalculator.png.15fa694f084749cf554066e820657d87.png

Yup pretty solid ...I wouldnt pay tax on all the 140k though the 69k GBP cars were valued at 49k last week ..  there is no reference...   I think get a receipt for the 45k and be done with it and pay the tax...  the rest of the invoice goes on a separate transaction as maintenance and engine repairs .

Any better exchange rate , wholesale would get you started doing math at 82k against your 45k , even XE.com quote the rate at 45kgbp = 83 aud something 

Come on skin that cat the cheap way .. not the Porsche dealer way..... and then you have a differential against the 290k that was the latest ask..

Remember also to try buy private so you dont pay the VAT in ya price..or have it delivered directly to bonded area for export thats another 20% saving 

When in England hustle like the geezers ... ok ..😀

On 09/09/2021 at 12:20, edgy said:

We have NFI on price... frankly think they've picked up a meth habit during lockdown with their prices, and 3 x white goods Toyota's in their showroom... the wager is on time to sell! 2 weeks it is with an over & under... the loser buys $100 worth of Resch's 😛 because we are klassy like that...

Looks like I owe @Blue964 $100 worth of Resch's as he appropriately called BS! 2 weeks on and it is unsold nor is it under offer.. 

996.1 GT3 wheels on Gumtree in case anyone looking for a set.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/glenelg-north/wheels-tyres-rims/porsche-911-wheels/1281875595?utm_source=copylink&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=android_VIP_sticky

Price: $1,800 Negotiable

Hoping these are in fact the correct sizes for 996.1 GT3 - rears are 10's (as opposed to the Carrera option wheel which is smaller iirc). 

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2021 at 19:18, symsy said:

Yup pretty solid ...I wouldnt pay tax on all the 140k though the 69k GBP cars were valued at 49k last week ..  there is no reference...   I think get a receipt for the 45k and be done with it and pay the tax...  the rest of the invoice goes on a separate transaction as maintenance and engine repairs .

Any better exchange rate , wholesale would get you started doing math at 82k against your 45k , even XE.com quote the rate at 45kgbp = 83 aud something 

Come on skin that cat the cheap way .. not the Porsche dealer way..... and then you have a differential against the 290k that was the latest ask..

Remember also to try buy private so you dont pay the VAT in ya price..or have it delivered directly to bonded area for export thats another 20% saving 

When in England hustle like the geezers ... ok ..😀

I'm with you Symsy and question the wisdom of going into such a transaction / deal with a strategy of  paying import duties  on a circa 140k buy price.  Different valuations on what they are worth depending on your perspective as I see it .  I have a lot of faith in the independent valuation based on  Redbook.   Surely you would just print out the current valuation and stick that in the support file with a date of your search and  even better if your private sale letter of what got transacted via EFT closely aligns with the redbook value,     Even stump up for the glass guides price evaluation for a second opinion if your a skeptic.    Current COVID  tax.  what tax is that.   Even a 99 GT1 is worthless at circa sub 6 figures from those in the know and  who derive income on their valuations for a living. .   

Just now, 901er said:

If a dirty old Ford is worth  $1.3m, then a 996gt3 tourer is worth every bit of 300k IMO! 

C4CA728E-9899-45AE-9060-0C413C8D2547.png

Its all in the stripes mate ... fat and bloated , I suppose you do get a few extra doors to get your value for money or is that scrap metal .     Give me an imported english Sweeny Style Ford Granada any day....  Go the import ..

3 hours ago, Alfa Miura said:

A question on values, are the 'touring package' spec generally worth more or less than no-frills standard?

A 996 GT3 delivered with the “club sport” (003) package will command a premium. 

Nomex seats, cage, extinguisher are 3 main distinguishing features. 

On 23/09/2021 at 11:47, edgy said:

Looks like I owe @Blue964 $100 worth of Resch's as he appropriately called BS! 2 weeks on and it is unsold nor is it under offer.. 

Now it's had a price drop...

Down from $289,995

To $279,995

Porsche 911 GT3 996 Manual MY04.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2003-porsche-911-gt3-996-manual-my04/OAG-AD-20148247

On 08/09/2021 at 20:38, SFZOOM said:

Well this will be interesting $290K for a non CS 996.2 GT3

https://classicthrottleshop.com/2003-porsche-911-996-gt3-touring-mk-2/

Would have to be a record ask for a 996 GT3 other than Rusty French’s car!

Well seems the car was pulled from CTS.  I suspect it will pop up again soon elsewhere.

24 minutes ago, Rick V said:

It seems to have disappeared following the $10K price drop….. anyone clued-up??

There is a facebook thread about it being pulled from CTS.

1 hour ago, cafe_racer said:

Well seems the car was pulled from CTS.  I suspect it will pop up again soon elsewhere.

There is a facebook thread about it being pulled from CTS.

Yeah I thought it was that car and it didn’t sound like a great selling experience with them.

26 minutes ago, James P said:

Testing the magic price ceiling again .. must be quite a rare colour

What is the run across the road price...from our panel of avid viewers ...   

220, 240 , 260. ...  I would say for me its 190 but im still not vaccinated for the Covid Tax

Theres a comfort spec here @edgy whats your bid on this fine day sir .. how many cans of vintage Swan Lager we talking  as your entry fee

53 minutes ago, symsy said:

Testing the magic price ceiling again .. must be quite a rare colour

Common as muck Symsy, 22 out of 90 were Speed Yellow, although no colour split of the supposed 17 comfort / tourings.  Well there's at least 1 Speed Yellow and 1 Artic Silver ""comfort".....

Price, NFI, but at that price I'd say my car's discounted about $1.30 for every km 🙂 

I had a slightly heated discussion with Shannons today about increasing the agreed value on my CS  (prior to this yellow one coming online). I asked for 285K and all they would give me was $250K “because there isn’t enough sales data”. I explained how few of these cars were sold new and that with the way they are transacting (i.e. mostly off market), it would be highly unlikely that there will ever be any sales data. Alas, they would not budge. I’m not happy at all because if I write my car off (heaven forbid), there’s simply no way I’m replacing a 31K km Clubsport for 250K. I’m going to ring tomorrow to have another crack and use this current SY example as ammunition.

Keen to know how are others approaching this predicament with their insurers at the moment? First world problems, but a problem nonetheless!

@Skidmarks is this your old one being flipped or has someone else squirreled away their SY MK1 Comfort spec?

7 minutes ago, spiller said:

I had a slightly heated discussion with Shannons today about increasing the agreed value on my CS  (prior to this yellow one coming online). I asked for 285K and all they would give me was $250K “because there isn’t enough sales data”. I explained how few of these cars were sold new and that with the way they are transacting (i.e. mostly off market), it would be highly unlikely that there will ever be any sales data. Alas, they would not budge. I’m not happy at all because if I write my car off (heaven forbid), there’s simply no way I’m replacing a 31K km Clubsport for 250K. I’m going to ring tomorrow to have another crack and use this current SY example as ammunition.

Keen to know how are others approaching this predicament with their insurers at the moment? First world problems, but a problem nonetheless!

@Skidmarks is this your old one being flipped or has someone else squirreled away their SY MK1 Comfort spec?

I'm coming up to that discussion with them shortly, would appreciate you posting the final result

2 hours ago, symsy said:

Theres a comfort spec here @edgy whats your bid on this fine day sir .. how many cans of vintage Swan Lager we talking  as your entry fee

I don’t really know anymore mate… who am I to comment? If there’s someone out there with pockets lined from a Sydney realestate windfall and it puts the led in their pencil… where can they get another one? KM’s are reasonably low and it’s very striking in the yellow, plus it’s a mk1 so people are seemingly at the point that they’ll now stump up premium for that extra rarity… Speed Yellow 996.1 with 14,xxx kms on it at CTS disappeared fast with an advertised price of $289k so I think the speed of transaction speaks volume… wouldn’t be surprised $250-270k 

1 hour ago, spiller said:

I’ve commenced the dialogue with my insurer, they asked what value I want to insure it for and they’d take it to the underwriter…. I said I would like to get a professional opinion and come back to them. 

At the end of the day, it’s almost always a case of being underinsured, because having the $$$ doesn’t mean you’re going to be able to replace it. 

I’d be interested who is best to contact for an appraisal, other than the obvious independent car dealers