996 GT3 Purchase

Has anyone called them to advise it's been officially valued by PFA at no more than $190k yet? 😂

On 14/08/2021 at 15:00, JWM said:

For those in lockdown or who can't find a local copy ... You can order this issue online from the publisher here.

AU$9.90 and free postage! Bargain because they’re no longer publishing?

No idea when it will get here but probably before I can leave the house 😅...

In other exciting news, it showed up this week...

9 hours ago, symsy said:

De Beers with the diamonds , Others with cars 

At least they havent lost the keys like some Bitcoin owners

The squirrelling is fine .. its us fools that use the small fishpond prices for reference.    Its the Wizard of Oz market, dont look behind the curtain.

With 17 cars for sale in the Uk that s more of a market ... the GT3's have been bumped up around 30+k AUD only in the past few weeks, but they havent sold , sales are the indicator of market price not ask.

I ask father Christmas for things every year , I ask my woman for things too.. rarely do they deliver .. well not the thrilling items , just the socks and sandwich , not the RS or the Victoria Secret outfit.

I have said it many time before on forums, its the price you will pay, the price that will make you run to the computer and or grab the cash from under the bed and slam it down.. Its the people that transact and pay, kick tyres and press the buy, or send on the transaction.    

I think they are still $160-190 cars and when you start talking of 20-40% , I think most of us will cry if we start to look at trade or wholesale prices of anything that we buy.. where does everyone think the $ comes from that fuels this merry go round of money?

It comes from the enthusiast or the enthusiastic for anything buyers and from those swear words .  Profit , Margin , Markup that clash so hard against our psyche and loyalty to our fantasy marque and our dreams  held in heart, passion , penis stirring energy of petrol hedonism and ego. 

Give me an import , watch me drive , watch me smile , a safe place to hear the scream of my money working hard in metallic form.

I dont care for the wizard market  , I dont care at all.  Just give me one for as few slave dollars as I cant get one , an @edgy comfort spec Berlina special  or an RS or a CS or even a confused one with owner implanted climbing frame in the back .   

Tell me its pristine in your advert, tell me its sweet , I will buy it thinking it might be as sweet as you tell it or sell it . Show me paperwork or none , even let me see the sticky race sticker residue from being hammered hard .. or should I use my acceptance word for the beating ... ah yes patina .

I am of course open to somebodys old girlfriend too, thats been around the block and track too , cos she will always be beautiful in my eyes, beyond her sins, I will just imagine shes white like her virginal dress ..never been slept with or mistreated or acted tardy , always perfectly polished and pampered only stared at in the garage, never kissed 

I wish i was trading houses or classics/porsches right now , better money than the coke dealers are making 

Im off again to fill up on 98 and then take in some blurry nature ... dont get me started on the manipulation of the fuel prices.   Who is running that CAR-tel

Stop speaking in rational tones......

@symsy  Nicely put, but I fear that your poetic skills and mastery of the written word are possibly wasted on this forum!!  I think I need a couple of Corona's to keep up with your ramblings of a genius! :)

2 hours ago, JWM said:

Has anyone called them to advise it's been officially valued by PFA at no more than $190k yet? 😂

Haha, Geez, don't we know it all here!

32 minutes ago, Rick V said:

@symsy  Nicely put, but I fear that your poetic skills and mastery of the written word are possibly wasted on this forum!!  I think I need a couple of Corona's to keep up with your ramblings of a genius! :)

I just want to know if I can call and offer to buy it for that yet 😁

1 hour ago, Rick V said:

Im justifying my own inner processing , you dont wanna be in my head 😀.. I rang the brother in law and demanded he go tyre kick a guards red GT3 110k, not RS the differential in price aint there , but also said he should go look at the 4.0l thats for sale at $540aud.. but its so far away from being able to import 

How is the beer going down ?

15 minutes ago, symsy said:

Im justifying my own inner processing , you dont wanna be in my head 😀.. I rang the brother in law and demanded he go tyre kick a guards red GT3 110k, not RS the differential in price aint there , but also said he should go look at the 4.0l thats for sale at $540aud.. but its so far away from being able to import 

I just had a proper chav beer: Kronenbourg 500ml

15 minutes ago, symsy said:

Mate, you’re making perfect sense to me now……. Which probably suggests that the beers are kicking in!! 👍👍

2 hours ago, symsy said:

Remind us all of the import laws? Which cars are eligible and which are not? There’s been lots of talk of unrestricted importation of cars into Australia since the demise of the local manufacturing industry but afaik there’s been no follow through. 

25 years ..  No restriction .  So 97 s next year and you store and hold for 2 years .. if they are gonna be collectable they gonna be collectable

You could even grab a 993 turbo  ;) Like the NZ car on carsales.. for the same money if you looking for true class ...and import it now.

I know two recent cars imported and they do not even value import against current market .. if your fair and dont take the piss I think no one looks.  Imported value 60k approx vs a top retail value here of 160k.

Lots of folklore on this stuff , when reality is different , a bit like forum and price banter vs cash on the table reality.

1 hour ago, symsy said:

25 years ..  No restriction .  So 97 s next year and you store and hold for 2 years .. if they are gonna be collectable they gonna be collectable

You could even grab a 993 turbo  ;) Like the NZ car on carsales.. for the same money if you looking for true class ...and import it now.

I know two recent cars imported and they do not even value import against current market .. if your fair and dont take the piss I think no one looks.  Imported value 60k approx vs a top retail value here of 160k.

Lots of folklore on this stuff , when reality is different , a bit like forum and price banter vs cash on the table reality.

For a long  time the year was fixed at up-to and including 1989.  So is that now changed and is the 25 years now live ?  In NSW? 

@ symsy 

Importation laws are set at the federal level not a state level - Federal Office of Road Safety (FORS) and they licence the 6 different import levels:

Personal Import

Low Volume Compliance

RAWS

The rolling 25 Year Scheme.

Special Interest

Race and Rally

Once imported/approved under one category the car can never change - ie cant change R+R to a Low Volume or vice versa once its approved (well if it was re-exported and then re-imported??? - however if it has had already  Import Approval I'm not sure - i'm out of my depth of knowledge) 

6 hours ago, on_booost said:

@ symsy 

Importation laws are set at the federal level not a state level - Federal Office of Road Safety (FORS) and they licence the 6 different import levels:

Personal Import

Low Volume Compliance

RAWS

The rolling 25 Year Scheme.

Special Interest

Race and Rally

Once imported/approved under one category the car can never change - ie cant change R+R to a Low Volume or vice versa once its approved (well if it was re-exported and then re-imported??? - however if it has had already  Import Approval I'm not sure - i'm out of my depth of knowledge) 

This was my understanding also. So basically, we are having a discussion about potentially buying a 996.1 GT3 in the UK and storing it for 3 years before we can actually realise it’s perceived better value over an Aus delivered car. Too bad if you want a MK2, you’ll be waiting another 6-7 years at least. My attention span is way too short for that 😆

Wouldn’t it have been easier to buy a local car here 12 months ago when they were cheap. At one stage (for multiple years) a MK1 GT3 was cheaper here than in the UK. I think I mentioned it in multiple posts.

Everyone who wanted one had plenty of time.

Its never the right time to buy a car - so just do it.

I expect the first person to buy an overseas GT3 and import it to Aus will have a very interesting and complex story to share.

13 hours ago, spiller said:

This was my understanding also. So basically, we are having a discussion about potentially buying a 996.1 GT3 in the UK and storing it for 3 years before we can actually realise it’s perceived better value over an Aus delivered car. Too bad if you want a MK2, you’ll be waiting another 6-7 years at least. My attention span is way too short for that 😆

Geez a lot happens in life in three years.  I suspect I’d already be looking for my next car experience.  

15 hours ago, hugh said:

Plenty of real transactions happening between members here I can assure you. 

Tell us where the cars are then without covid tax 🤪

14 hours ago, spiller said:

Two years .. this ones nearly over 😊 2 years will whizz by in a few lockdowns .  Really remember the context  of where this started a 49GBP 92k AUD car + ur imports costs vs 290k , ADHD is a bitch and we all know about urgency..  but for a approx 150k markup  thats shows some other mental instability or  it simply shows the lunacy in the price .

Dont worry Hughs gonna find us lookers some cars, hes gonna hook us into the grapevine , hes probably selling that hack of his cos he aint got no where to keep it .. hes building a new garage ..    We expect a full thread on that the @hugh

20 hours ago, mc968cs said:

For a long  time the year was fixed at up-to and including 1989.  So is that now changed and is the 25 years now live ?  In NSW? 

Yup

12 hours ago, Jason A said:

Wouldn’t it have been easier to buy a local car here 12 months ago when they were cheap. At one stage (for multiple years) a MK1 GT3 was cheaper here than in the UK. I think I mentioned it in multiple posts.

Everyone who wanted one had plenty of time.

Its never the right time to buy a car - so just do it.

I expect the first person to buy an overseas GT3 and import it to Aus will have a very interesting and complex story to share.

Rubbing Salt in the wounds is like putting salt on the roads..  Wheres your compassion !

18 hours ago, Jason A said:

Wouldn’t it have been easier to buy a local car here 12 months ago when they were cheap.

Well - and here it is - the clearest of all - hindsight.... we would've all bought an RS new or Bit/ether/doge coin at $0.30c....

4 hours ago, Jim45 said:

If someone is planning a container full I'll take this one please:

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/12163626

Thanks.

Cracker spec!

Much talk about UK priced cars so I thought I'd run some numbers.  Clearly, Down Under we pay a much higher premium for our cars.  See table below.   

If we had paid the same UK MSRP premium of 27%, the MSRP in Australia would have been reduced from $225,000 to around $186,585

OR roughly $38,000 less.

Porsche 996 GT3 MK1

MSRP first published in May 1999 @ 179,500 DEM (German Deutsche Marks)

MSRP excludes options costs, dealer delivery, stamp duty, and other government charges.

May 1999 - First Published Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price in German Deutsche Marks

AUD/DEM exchange rate in May 1999 = 1.22.  Actual exchange rate varied from 1.04 - 1.31 during 2000 & 2001

You can still convert DEM to currencies like the EUR, USD & AUD today.  There are still old pre 2002 DEM's around.  The AUD exchange rate today is around 1.22  IE: the same as May 1999!

Theoretical MSRP in AUD based on 1.22 exchange rate

actual MSRP in AUD

MSRP Premium = 53%

GBP/DEM exchange rate in May 1999 = 2.97  Actual rate varied from 2.97 - 3.1 during 2000 - 2001

Theoretical MSRP in GBP based on 2.97 exchange rate

actual list price in GBP

MSRP Premium = 27%

AUD/GBP exchange rate in May 1999 = 0.41

Today this rate is closer to 0.52 which is around 26% higher than 1999

Theoretical MSRP in AUD based on GBP list price

MSRP Premium = 27%

So, is it worth buying that 996 GT3 MK1 from Piston heads assuming you don't want to wait 2-3 years to use it?

Assume Buy price = 70,000 GBP.  AUD/GBP spot exchange rate = 0.52 = 0.49/0.48 after currency conversion & commission charges. 

Likely buy price around $143,000

Next add 10% GST + 5% Import duty + 33% Luxury Car Tax 

refer to Tax calculator below which shows the numbers assuming your shipping costs are as low as $2000 which is conservative given current container costs

are through the roof.

Total additional costs = $54,317.          

That takes the sub total to $197,300

Then there is insurance, storage, delivery & logistics services charges.  Customs brokers' and entry processing charges. 

Steam cleaning, aircon de-gassing/re-gassing and quarantine inspection charges.  The list and paperwork go on.

Let’s add another $2700 which gets us to $200,000. 

So for $200,000 AUD you now have a UK car in Australia that's worth 70,000 British Pounds Sterling.

834258026_Importdutycalculator.png.15fa694f084749cf554066e820657d87.png