996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

On 29/08/2020 at 18:23, KGB said:

How’s your search for insurance going?

I have had some interesting quotes come through! MB 4.5k 🤯 (won’t be going with them)

so far Shannon’s looks to be the goods. By far the best to speak with, knowledgeable and genuinely interested in my business.

Waiting on a quote from Enthusiast which should be back today. They seemed a bit generic on the phone! 

Getting closer to Saturday 😃

3 minutes ago, Naldz88 said:

I have had some interesting quotes come through! MB 4.5k 🤯 (won’t be going with them)

so far Shannon’s looks to be the goods. By far the best to speak with, knowledgeable and genuinely interested in my business.

Waiting on a quote from Enthusiast which should be back today. They seemed a bit generic on the phone! 

The frustrating part of insurance is the inconsistency between and within the insurance companies - often people quote really good experiences quote wise with Enthusiast and Famous, but for me they were 50% higher than Shannons.  And our local motor club insurance were something like + 300% for my GT3, Touareg and wife's 981, so I stayed with Shannons for about the 6th straight year...

2 hours ago, Stepo said:

That Merc is taking up valuable space..............get rid of it and get yourself another Porsche!

Lol.... that’s my daily. The Porsche is my “special occasions car” lol! In fact I’ve only added 400kms in almost 2 months of ownership.

cheers,

Dave.

18 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Certainly not there yet ... but is this the air-cooled saga all over again?

An old SC couldn’t be worth that! ... well they are .. 😉

If you're struggling to get your head around C4S approaching $100K, check out the latest over on the 964 market watch thread..... $149K for that????? 

A C4S for 2/3rds the price gets a nod from me.

12 minutes ago, disco said:

Lol.... that’s my daily. The Porsche is my “special occasions car” lol! In fact I’ve only added 400kms in almost 2 months of ownership.

cheers,

Dave.

Nothing wrong with a daily Porsche, just sayin (not that I have one yet -_-)

I've had my 996 for close to five weeks, I've put 1000 k's on her (most of that was the first week) and I'm in covid ground zero lockdown, get out and drive it man! 

Haha... not wrong! Just with work and fam stuff,   I settle in for the night, take a peek in the garage, see the Porker, consider popping out for a quick lap and a coffee ......and next thing you know I’m on the lounge snoring my head off!!🤣🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, Rick V said:

If you're struggling to get your head around C4S approaching $100K, check out the latest over on the 964 market watch thread..... $149K for that????? 

A C4S for 2/3rds the price gets a nod from me.

I agree that they will / should be there ... its one of the reasons I got into my C4S .. a ton of car for the money, but just by judging on the 6 sales in the past 2 months, they are currently trading quite a bit lower than that. In the UK a C4S can be had for the equivalent of AU$45k - $50k ... 😥

I saw that car for sale and yes, its hard to believe they are “worth” that much .. but its also hard to compare the two. They are 2 different beasts and have 2 very different markets.

1 hour ago, disco said:

cheers,

Dave.

Dave, unless you live in the Covid State you've got no excuse for such a piss poor effort 🙂 Get out and drive it!!!!

12 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Dave, unless you live in the Covid State you've got no excuse for such a piss poor effort 🙂 Get out and drive it!!!!

Lol... agree mate. Need to get it out and about.

Dave. 

11 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Love it mate 👍

Now for some rims 😁

Thanks for the positive feedback. The wife is wanting to do the rims in red plastidip to match the rear reflector and the new decal. I think that is a bit much ... even for me. I think she’s trying to recreate the GT3RS look ..

I quite like the turbo twists as they are so will probably be staying ... sorry!

13 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Thanks for the positive feedback. The wife is wanting to do the rims in red plastidip to match the rear reflector and the new decal. I think that is a bit much ... even for me. I think she’s trying to recreate the GT3RS look ..

I quite like the turbo twists as they are so will probably be staying ... sorry!

Sorry, I'm just not a twist fan. 

I reckon red rims might be a bit much too. Good thing about plasti dip is that you can remove it pretty easily. I did my rims white with it incase I didn't like it (which i do like), and if you rub it hard enough with your thumb it comes off. 

I bought a pressure washer last week which has some grunt, so I'll try that soon and repaint the rims

19 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Sorry, I'm just not a twist fan. 

I reckon red rims might be a bit much too. Good thing about plasti dip is that you can remove it pretty easily. I did my rims white with it incase I didn't like it (which i do like), and if you rub it hard enough with your thumb it comes off. 

I bought a pressure washer last week which has some grunt, so I'll try that soon and repaint the rims

Firstly, no need to apologise ... we all like different things which is why there are so many choices available ...

My son has a white Celica and insisted on plastidipping the wheels black. Certainly not the best finish but it sure did the job and does look quite good. Much cheaper option than new wheels! ...

Got upset with the stuff when my 16 year old moron son took the lid off a can and bent the nozzle so far back that it was leaking constantly ... all over the interior of our car ... wasn’t that fun to try and remove ... the thumb technique had to be thrown out the window ... I raised a Moron! 🤬🤬

Well that would have been rather annoying! 

I did my old rims black which was a helluva lot easier than white, as you can easily see its got more runs than Don Bradman! 

I'll just be doing one of my rattle can paint jobs, as my car isn't a minter, so doing it properly would probably look weird...and its a lot cheaper! 

Just in the process of acquiring a set of track wheels and tyres for my GT3.  Wheels are black, so if it is not easily removable I'm thinking of trying Plastidip too - possibly gold, or I could go Lee's white on Silver body look too....

6 minutes ago, Carrera28 said:

This is removable paint specifically made for painting rims, made by a German company and is well regarded overseas:

81CrSLdxbmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Interesting, looks like good alternative to Plastidip.  Available in Oz?  Looks like 2 cans required for 4 wheels, wonder how that compares?

7 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Interesting, looks like good alternative to Plastidip.  Available in Oz?  Looks like 2 cans required for 4 wheels, wonder how that compares?

I bought it off EBay

Here is a listing (I have no affiliation or ability to verify the seller and just show as a random example)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Spray-Film-by-Foliatec-Spray-on-Plastic-Dip-Spray-Kit-Silver-Metallic/172705418998?hash=item28360b8ef6:g:lPYAAOSwiONYQQeC 

26 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Just in the process of acquiring a set of track wheels and tyres for my GT3.  Wheels are black, so if it is not easily removable I'm thinking of trying Plastidip too - possibly gold, or I could go Lee's white on Silver body look too....

If it was track wheels I would probably leave them or paint them rather than putting a coating over the wheels so any cracks will be visible when you inspect them.

Maybe I'm a bit cautious saying this but I've replaced 2 track wheels due to large cracks showing, both being quality wheels (Weds and BBS) and I would like to be able to spot a potential failure.

1 minute ago, rego said:

If it was track wheels I would probably leave them or paint them rather than putting a coating over the wheels so any cracks will be visible when you inspect them.

Maybe I'm a bit cautious saying this but I've replaced 2 track wheels due to large cracks showing, both being quality wheels (Weds and BBS) and I would like to be able to spot a potential failure.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.........

4 hours ago, Dreamr said:

I agree that they will / should be there ... its one of the reasons I got into my C4S .. a ton of car for the money, but just by judging on the 6 sales in the past 2 months, they are currently trading quite a bit lower than that. In the UK a C4S can be had for the equivalent of AU$45k - $50k ... 😥

I saw that car for sale and yes, its hard to believe they are “worth” that much .. but its also hard to compare the two. They are 2 different beasts and have 2 very different markets.

Being super fortunate and owning both, the 996 is good, but the 964 is the last (yes, yes melted in the sun 993...) and greatest normal 911 of the aircooled era, what a car they are!  If you asked me to choose it’d be the 964 even with the price premium.  There’s simply more 911ness in the 964.  Plus Porsche only made 11 of them, or something...🤣

7 hours ago, Naldz88 said:

Crazy money from MB!   Saturday is indeed only 5 sleeps away.  Enjoy the experience.

1 minute ago, hugh said:

Covid hit that hard? People having to resort to Plastidip their Porsche rims? Only if it's fluro! 

Nah, just hate black rims, thinking about an easy colour change for occasional use rims......  I must admit I did quite like FlamingPorsche's Fluoro Orange rims, would probably look better on Seal Grey than Arctic Silver.....