996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

It looks like a nice car for what it is, not what it's trying to be.

For me, I would be embarrassed to drive around in a 996 that is trying to be a 997.  IMO, those mods don't make it worth any extra, on the contrary, I'd be factoring in additional costs to get it back to right, $10k - $15k overpriced in my mind, and for the same price you have this series 2 beauty:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual-my02/SSE-AD-5289757/?Cr=4    I don't think it will last long

1 hour ago, CapnHyaku said:

Here's an interesting one that just popped up.  A 996.1 cab with a 997.1 facelift🤨

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-911-1998/sse-ad-6696827

Wow... I've always wondered what a 996 with round headlights would look like, so I'd love to see that in the metal, but I wouldn't buy it 😅... 

37 minutes ago, Stepo said:

for the same price you have this series 2 beauty: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual-my02/SSE-AD-5289757/?Cr=4  I don't think it will last long

That does sound like a good one... It was for sale ages ago wasn't it? I recognise the pics...

44 minutes ago, Shedpest said:

Agree, it has been on and off the market for 3 odd years.

I've had it saved for a while now.  It has been on the market for many months at least this time around.

1 hour ago, JWM said:

so I'd love to see that in the metal

Same, it looks like they've had to work hard to make those seams at the front hood meet.  Held together by sheer will!

9 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

I've had it saved for a while now.  It has been on the market for many months at least this time around.

Same, it looks like they've had to work hard to make those seams at the front hood meet.  Held together by sheer will!

What in saying that do you  believe in has had a bingle?

2 hours ago, Stepo said:

It looks like a nice car for what it is, not what it's trying to be.

For me, I would be embarrassed to drive around in a 996 that is trying to be a 997.  IMO, those mods don't make it worth any extra, on the contrary, I'd be factoring in additional costs to get it back to right, $10k - $15k overpriced in my mind, and for the same price you have this series 2 beauty:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual-my02/SSE-AD-5289757/?Cr=4    I don't think it will last long

AGREE!

2 minutes ago, tomo said:

What in saying that do you  believe in has had a bingle?

Sorry, the forum merged my posts.

I have saved the 2002 996.2 for a number of months.  Shedpest was saying they've seen the same one bounce on and off for 3 years maybe.  I have no idea if it's been in a bingle.

The 996 in 997 clothing... take a look at where the quarter panel meets the bumper, between the headlight and the bonnet.  The reflection looks to me like the seams are not flush, but angled.  I think it is more likely from fitting a square peg in a round hole instead of a bingle.

3 hours ago, CapnHyaku said:

Honestly, why bother? If you want a 997 just buy one or save to get one or whatever you need to do.

Black car looks honest, just mileage up there.

The 996's will be up there in future. First water cooled and controversial lights will help that believe it or not. Also in light of the more recent models seemingly being very digital and exaggerated in their proportions, I think the 996 is a great bridge to the older school cars. They still sound great and are a delight to drive. Bargains imo.

cheers,

Dave.  

24 minutes ago, disco said:

Honestly, why bother? If you want a 997 just buy one or save to get one or whatever you need to do.

Black car looks honest, just mileage up there.

The 996's will be up there in future. First water cooled and controversial lights will help that believe it or not. Also in light of the more recent models seemingly being very digital and exaggerated in their proportions, I think the 996 is a great bridge to the older school cars. They still sound great and are a delight to drive. Bargains imo.

cheers,

Dave.  

Could  not agree more I have just transitioned from A/C to W/C and the 996 is a very  well built  car and a joy to drive.: ) and basically the same chassis till the 991.

2 hours ago, disco said:

It's the old Longhood to G Series and G series to Longhood forward date / backdate shuffle all over again ..

You'd think we'd have all learnt from past stupidity ... obviously not!!

I thought it'd have been a lot longer before we saw this again ... if at all! 

3 minutes ago, LeeM said:

I think it's fine if you want the 997 look (aka don't like the eggs) yet your budget doesn't stretch that far.

Backdate, forwardate, leave it alone, it's all about what makes YOU happy if you wanna own one, not what others think you should have

exactly my friend, a few on here like to hear the sound of their own (expert) voices...........

2 hours ago, Harsh said:

exactly my friend, a few on here like to hear the sound of their own (expert) voices...........

I’m not sure why the need to take a moral high ground here and call anyone experts??🤔

It’s all opinions, good thing about those are they don’t need to be right.

Some guys think 996/997 conversions are cool, some think they’re rubbish.

Both are okay to state lol.

Cheers,

Dave.

1 hour ago, disco said:

I’m not sure why the need to take a moral high ground here and call anyone experts??🤔

It’s all opinions, good thing about those are they don’t need to be right.

Some guys think 996/997 conversions are cool, some think they’re rubbish.

Both are okay to state lol.

Cheers,

Dave.

yea.......cheers

1 hour ago, disco said:

Had a lot to say about that, but I wasn't even going to dignify it with a response ... but let's just go with what you said ... 😀

8 hours ago, Stepo said:

It’s like the stickers I’ve seen people put over the headlights to make it look like a 997.

If you’ve got a 996, just own it 

I've got one,  do indeed own it,   rarely drive it. .  Be weary of outliers and differing perspectives.  Some have the view that some of  the parts on a 996 are s#$%e comparatively speaking.    What's so  wrong with forward dating with 997 bits?

For me I reckon it was circa 70 k ( maybe 45 -55  if you got on the end of an outlier) differential to step up into a  into 997 like for like. Spent circa 6k and within 1 hour of seat time ownership   had the output numbers closer to  a 997.   Didn't see value in the price differential at the time and had a budget.

Let's compare some  forward dating 997  parts.

997 manual shifter mechanism ( any variant  997 stock,  997 ssk, 997 gt3 ) vs  996 stock.  I took out a gembella shortshifter for a stock 997 mechanism.  Much better in my view and most who have  ventured into replacing the 996 mechanism with a 997 variant also agree.

997 gt2rs intercoolers vs 996 intercoolers.  Hmm size does matter. Ask a tuner if that makes any difference.to them when there getting into the ones and zero's or your  beating on it.

997 tranny mounts -vs 996  hmm good luck getting a 996 factory replacement with a 996 part number.

997 350mm discs vs 996 330mm all round  .  Way better  look and fills out 18" rims better particularly if you have yellow 6 pots 350mm calipers up front and yellow ones out back with 996 part numbers stamped on them.  

997 exhaust manifold.  Vs 996   - better casting and stands up better to porting  if that's your thing.

997gt3 rs based single mass flywheel clutch kit vs 996.  996 setup can't really cope with just the hp /  tq ncrease from a tune. .  No slip ups with the  997 clutch bits. 

997 gt3 front  brake air ducts vs 996 variants.  Check the price differential, especially when they were on sale. I think I paid not much more  than a large mocha at the time.

997 ignition coils  why would you not.  They fit and more reliable apparently.  

997gt2 rs based billet wheel stuffed into a 996 k16 turbo  housing with zero clearance.  Many 996's boosting from the  circa 2000 rpm range around. 

I own all those genuine 997  factory stamped  part numbers in boxes .  Might get around to whacking them on the car one day.  Reckon if I did have them on the car,  you would not be the only one who would have  absolutely    no clue those 997 bits are on the car by sight  on the ground or even when your looking up  at it  on a hoist.  Behind the wheel, well thats a  totally different story  and it al lls starts from the moment  you put your   hand on the gear stick and grab reverse whilst  pushing  down on the clutch pedal and the car hasn't even moved.

1 hour ago, firstone said:

Lets say the 996/7 was owned by one of the cool kids?

Would we publicly say he was stupid?

I personally don’t think anyone in particular is stupid for modding their car to their own taste, whether it is back dating or forward dating or engine swap or whatever. Absolutely each to their own.

History has shown that changes from factory (as above) affects value and desireability in the general marketplace.

So ... individually stupid? ... not at all.

Stupidity in terms of desireability  and saleability .... I believe so.

11 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

I personally don’t think anyone in particular is stupid for modding their car to their own taste, whether it is back dating or forward dating or engine swap or whatever. Absolutely each to their own.

History has shown that changes from factory (as above) affects value and desireability in the general marketplace.

I like to think they are creating future opportunities for someone.

At least four of the 911 cars I have bought in the last few years were at a price point I was able to afford ONLY because someone had improved them to their taste.

55 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

I think you're right that there is a linear progression that the older the car gets, the closer to stock it needs to be to maximise it's value.

But... that is value in terms of dollars and cents.  Who can put a price on the sentimental value of your own car that you've worked hard for and worked on to enjoy as much as possible?

For some, working on their car means making the car look like they one they want, as opposed to the one they have or can afford.

For others, working on their car means regularly massaging a piece of clay into the body work so it perpetually looks like it just rolled off the production line.

What I think this all proves is that deep down, we all think there is something very special about what the people in Stuttgart have been making in Ferry's garage all these years.

12 hours ago, Dreamr said:

I am with you I don't think it is stupid. It looks a whole lot better than the stickers on the headlights, but it is not a cheap exercise and a lot of work. I watched a build show (I am thinking it was Fast n Loud?) where they did the swap and it was not that simple. My guess would be somewhere around $7-10k to do the conversion, so it must have been done back when the price difference was much higher. I doubt anyone would do it today.