996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

15 hours ago, Dreamr said:

I personally don’t think anyone in particular is stupid for modding their car to their own taste, whether it is back dating or forward dating or engine swap or whatever. Absolutely each to their own.

History has shown that changes from factory (as above) affects value and desireability in the general marketplace.

So ... individually stupid? ... not at all.

Stupidity in terms of desireability  and saleability .... I believe so.

Specific to boosted  but principles apply to N /A ( except for supercar reference). I agree with the bloke that write this below x100.   Note the reference to the 991.1turbo S.  Note the NEVER comment.

Stock and unsorted: These bring the most "ROI" and are often the least fun to drive.... Services might be current, but most services never really address things like minor boost leaks, worn suspension, poor alignment, all the little parts that wear out on time regardless of mileage, etc. Most buyers, especially first time turbo owners or buyers at online auctions, really can't tell the difference between a stock sorted and stock unsorted car...

Stock, fully sorted, (potentially collector quality): Same as above, but gone over with a fine-tooth comb and brought back to as the factory intended. More fun to drive than an unsorted car, but nowhere near their full potential as a drivers car. Big bucks to the right buyer if low miles, paint and bodywork perfect, perhaps a rare option or two.

Lightly modded with correct, modern mods, fully sorted: Fully sorted with all the minor stuff, suspension refresh or upgrade, exhaust, modern tune, perhaps a clutch or clutch hydraulics upgrade, perhaps GT2 tire/wheel/alignment specs, perhaps a 350mm brake upgrade, etc. These are an absolute BLAST to drive and will give you supercar level performance at a modest price. If all the upgrades are the correct ones, done by a reputable shop or inspected, you can get a fair bit of the upgrade cost back on resale, but don't expect anywhere near 1:1 return on upgrades. The market for these cars is really owners who have had one before and know exactly what upgrades are good and which ones are worthless or worse...

Old or unknown mods, not sorted: Being able to tell the difference between one of these and the category above is kind of critical, and why many buyers just avoid buying modified cars... Get out your checkbook.

Highly modified: It's great that you can build a 800-1,000HP 996 Turbo to slay the 1/4 mile and/or build a track monster that will outlap a modern cup car, but do it because you absolutely love having something like that and don't expect to recoup a fraction of your investment.... That said, it still will likely be far less loss than the depreciation on a new 992 Turbo!

If it isn't obvious, my favorite is the lightly modded, fully sorted variety. Car was stock when I bought it, and I planned on keeping it more-or-less that way, but that didn't last... I've kept all the stock parts, but realistically it is NEVER going back to stock. Too much work to make the car far less enjoyable, even if it would return a few more dollars if I ever sold it.

Mods include:
GT2-spec wheels and tires sizes, near GT2-spec alignment
Bilstein B8 / H&R Sport spring suspension
350mm rotor conversion
RS brake spoilers, pad upgrade
Fully sorted boost plumbing, 710N diverters, GT2RS intercoolers, Cobb tune
Titanium catless X-pipe exhaust
Short shift console
GT2 clutch upgrade
GT2 clutch slave conversion

I also have a 991.1 Turbo S... The above 996 Turbo is easily as much fun to drive, almost as quick, and always puts a smile on my face. (but the 991 TTS does as well!)
Evolution , 10-05-2020 03:15 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member
Keywords that are value-add:
  • Ohlins
  • Europipe
  • Euro buckets
  • UMW tune, turbos
  • GT2 twists
  • OEM GT2 front/rear
Dock , 10-05-2020 05:21 PM
User
My advice? You need to decide on what your personal target is for the car in terms of performance and looks and not worry about any return on investment if you modify the car to attain that target.

I have just read back on this thread because i haven't been here for a few days, 

Nowhere did i read that someone said the forward date car was stupid, why get all huffy and puffy about it, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

I didn't read any negative comments about the update car. The question was asked why would you do it and then want 60k for it, personally i don't like it and i think it's probably worth maybe 45k, that's my opinion. I'll go and pop some corn and get a Bevy.

I’ve been so wanting to ‘cock my leg’ on this thread last cpl days ... 😊🥳 love it 

see nuthin wrong in a ***996-7 tribute Car  . same for a G-pre 73 , G-964 924cgt replica, 959 replica 🥰🥰 COVIN et al .

All gods creatures. 

(I also like patina faux,  contrived Or through time and or neglect .)

***Though personally cannot abide a cab though kudos to those who can  . 

@smit2100 thx for the top up, good re/post. the 996.2 I bought is exactly in the lightly modded sorted category , only would wish for a bit more grunt .

A 996 chassis repanelled as a G series would be a hoot .

just reminded me of the local (to me) village fool   who took a LHD 993, a 75 Oz delivery 911 and tried to make a RHD 993 ... 8-9 years and a full custom rear space frame ..project fell over. But it would be a fun drive  

I'm all for modifying for improved performance or adding alternative parts that help reduce build/maintenance costs like @smit2100 has listed, loving the look of this 77 RSR tribute posted on "what's for sale" https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1977-porsche-911-manual/SSE-AD-6611170/?Cr=66 and would love a hotrod 356 outlaw one day (it will be the only 356 I can afford).

No issues with stickers that aren't trying to change the model of the car like the 996-7 headlight conversion, can anyone honestly say that looks better :Drool:

ta996chead1.jpg.eca7734a1f4818a512a1ad89d960bb25.jpg 

1 hour ago, Stepo said:

I'm all for modifying for improved performance or adding alternative parts that help reduce build/maintenance costs like @smit2100 has listed, loving the look of this 77 RSR tribute posted on "what's for sale" https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1977-porsche-911-manual/SSE-AD-6611170/?Cr=66 and would love a hotrod 356 outlaw one day (it will be the only 356 I can afford).

No issues with stickers that aren't trying to change the model of the car like the 996-7 headlight conversion, can anyone honestly say that looks better :Drool:

ta996chead1.jpg.eca7734a1f4818a512a1ad89d960bb25.jpg 

I can’t say it’s wrong… But it’s clearly a Mercedes tributeI can’t say it’s wrong… But it’s clearly a Mercedes tribute

4 hours ago, michel said:

@smit2100 thx for the top up, good re/post. the 996.2 I bought is exactly in the lightly modded sorted category , only would wish for a bit more grunt .

Sorry Michel, Recently I’ve seen no evidence you need more grunt, hard enough to keep you in view now 😂😂😂

On 12/10/2020 at 16:10, CapnHyaku said:

.... a square peg in a round hole....

As an aside - I've never understood this saying.  Any time the diagonal of the peg is smaller than the diameter of the hole then the peg will fit in the hole.  Just sayin'......

15 minutes ago, jakroo said:

As an aside - I've never understood this saying.  Any time the diagonal of the peg is smaller than the diameter of the hole then the peg will fit in the hole.  Just sayin'......

Just think of yourself as the peg, and society as the hole ...

You've never fitted in, nor will you ... your head is bigger than than the (w)hole of society ... 

11 hours ago, Dreamr said:

... your head is bigger than than the (w)hole of society ... 

because it explodes a little bit each and every time I have to deal with any one other than myself.

PS love you too buddy...anyway back to the thread.....

Change of pace in topic, could start a new thread but everyone is flapping away here.

I had a strange rattle in the exhaust I have been trying to find for weeks. It was evident when I took my foot off the throttle at town speeds, didn’t matter what the gear. 

I finally found it from many hours on rennlist and crawling around under the car. Has anyone had trouble or experience with the bracket that hangs from a clamp on the exhaust and is welded to just behind the exhaust tip? Apparently the weld cracks fairly often. Some people have it fixed, others have removed the bracket all together. 

Any ideas or thoughts? I have removed the bracket for now which has sorted the issue.

The photo with the cracked weld is from my car. The photo with the red circle is from a 997 I think off rennlist but give you an idea of the bracket. 

Cheers

0AB699DA-23E5-47EA-AE25-231F4E3463F4.jpeg

3547EDDD-F629-4989-B2EA-0EAFE40F2ED3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tips said:

New manual C4S hit the market in Adelaide yesterday looks a nice spec certainly up there in price https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2003-porsche-911-carrera-4s-996-manual-awd-my03/SSE-AD-6867140

Probably thought that if it's priced a little lower than the grey one that's been sitting on the market for the last 5 months, it'll look cheap.

As much as I'd love to see them climb in value, just don't think thats happened yet to that price ... although all he needs is 1 buyer and stranger things have happened ..