996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Interesting, looks like good alternative to Plastidip.  Available in Oz?  Looks like 2 cans required for 4 wheels, wonder how that compares?

I did mine with 2 cans Pete. Well, 1 1/2 cans actually, but I'm impatient and theres lots of runs and coverage is a bit average. The black I used on other rims covered much better and that was 2 cans.

You'd need to be a lot more patient than I am if you want to avoid runs...and probably remove tyres too, but that does rub off easily

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

I did mine with 2 cans Pete. Well, 1 1/2 cans actually, but I'm impatient and theres lots of runs and coverage is a bit average. The black I used on other rims covered much better and that was 2 cans.

You'd need to be a lot more patient than I am if you want to avoid runs...and probably remove tyres too, but that does rub off easily

Buy the $2 plastic drop sheets and then use masking tape to seal and you quickly cover tyres without need to remove.

Very thin coats lightly applied.  I recommend a trick I learnt from spray painting radio control cars.  For the first couple of coats get a container with boiling water and rest the paint can in it for a few minutes (up to about half way).  The heat helps thin out out the paint.  The first coats should just be dusting.

7 hours ago, Carrera28 said:

For the first couple of coats get a container with boiling water and rest the paint can in it for a few minutes (up to about half way).  The heat helps thin out out the paint.  The first coats should just be dusting.

Cheers for the tip 👍

My dad painted my first car, a '60's mini with warmed house paint, a roller and brush 😁 I'm a chip off the old block

37 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Another 4S gone to a new home..?

Check out this 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S 996 Manual AWD MY03.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-4s-996-manual-awd-my03/SSE-AD-6324542

That vehicle is the same one that is at Lorbek, see below “similar vehicles” 

It was discussed a fair few pages back

ED4A1D78-0D63-4460-BF4F-AC84A03709DB.png

49 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Another 4S gone to a new home..?

Check out this 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S 996 Manual AWD MY03.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-4s-996-manual-awd-my03/SSE-AD-6324542

I also doubt it ... as @kov mentioned it is the same one Lorbek’s have for sale. I believe a couple of potential buyers enquired about it but the service history (or lack of) was enough to put a stop to a potential sale. It really just goes to show how important the history can be.

Many 4S’s have been sold around it ...

51 minutes ago, kov said:

That vehicle is the same one that is at Lorbek, see below “similar vehicles” 

It was discussed a fair few pages back

Yes, thanks - I was reading during that conversation, but didn't look into it and didn't realise it was the same car. I actually checked the VIN now and it matches, so yes same car.

Very strange selling strategy... It was on car sales originally at $80-84k odd IIRC. Then the price went up (maybe increased 2 times) to last advertised at $92,000. Why would you run concurrent ads with Lorbek and Carsales (let alone at different prices?)... and then Gumtree:

(@$79,900)

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/point-cook/cars-vans-utes/2003-porsche-911-carrera-4-s-6-sp-manual-2d-coupe/1235467407?utm_source=copylink&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=web_VIP

:huh:

6 hours ago, luzzo said:

Yes, thanks - I was reading during that conversation, but didn't look into it and didn't realise it was the same car. I actually checked the VIN now and it matches, so yes same car.

Very strange selling strategy... It was on car sales originally at $80-84k odd IIRC. Then the price went up (maybe increased 2 times) to last advertised at $92,000. Why would you run concurrent ads with Lorbek and Carsales (let alone at different prices?)... and then Gumtree:

(@$79,900)

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/point-cook/cars-vans-utes/2003-porsche-911-carrera-4-s-6-sp-manual-2d-coupe/1235467407?utm_source=copylink&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=web_VIP

I called earlier in the year and he couldn’t get his sh!t together for me to inspect the car, all too hard, had dinner with Tom Cruise or some garbage.  

6 hours ago, luzzo said:

(@$79,900)

Stupid question but if that car is for sale at Lorbek’s I didn’t think you could sell on consignment here in vic?

7 minutes ago, MARTY said:

Stupid question but if that car is for sale at Lorbek’s I didn’t think you could sell on consignment here in vic?

They have a way around it using, I guess, put and call options effectively.  You offer to sell the car to them at an agreed price, they accept that offer and purchase it when they've got a sale

21 hours ago, Carrera28 said:

Buy the $2 plastic drop sheets and then use masking tape to seal and you quickly cover tyres without need to remove.

Very thin coats lightly applied.  I recommend a trick I learnt from spray painting radio control cars.  For the first couple of coats get a container with boiling water and rest the paint can in it for a few minutes (up to about half way).  The heat helps thin out out the paint.  The first coats should just be dusting.

Masking up tyres is really hard to do as tape doesn't like to stick to them. I have seen a couple of great tips though.

One is to get a garbage bag and lay it out flat on a table. Then pick it up by the very centre and pull it out straight like a witches hat if you get my drift. With some scissors cut off the top 20cm or so of the witches hat and then you have a nice size hole in the middle of the garbage bag. If you get it right, it has just enough stretch in it to clip it over the edge of the rim leaving the outer part of the garbage bag to cover the tyre and you have a beautifully masked wheel.

The other is possibly simpler (at least to explain), is to get a deck of playing cards and slip them in the bead between the rim and the tyre, overlapping them all of the way around and Bob's your Aunties live in lover.

1 hour ago, MFX said:

Masking up tyres is really hard to do as tape doesn't like to stick to them. I have seen a couple of great tips though.

One is to get a garbage bag and lay it out flat on a table. Then pick it up by the very centre and pull it out straight like a witches hat if you get my drift. With some scissors cut off the top 20cm or so of the witches hat and then you have a nice size hole in the middle of the garbage bag. If you get it right, it has just enough stretch in it to clip it over the edge of the rim leaving the outer part of the garbage bag to cover the tyre and you have a beautifully masked wheel.

The other is possibly simpler (at least to explain), is to get a deck of playing cards and slip them in the bead between the rim and the tyre, overlapping them all of the way around and Bob's your Aunties live in lover.

Just as a side note, you don’t need to mask up the tyres if using plastidip. After you have sprayed the rim with multiple coats, it just peels off the tyre. It takes less that 1 minute to roll your thumb over it and peel it off ... easy peasy!

Spray paint is a different story! ...

1 hour ago, jakroo said:

With 37,500 on it and you've said it's already 20k over priced then arithmetic tells me you believe it's a 17,500 vehicle at max value.  Wow that's got to be the cheapest one out there.

I think $20k overpriced is a bit of a stretch.. I’d be a buyer at no more than $30k assuming it checked out ok

5 minutes ago, JLD said:

I think $20k overpriced is a bit of a stretch.. I’d be a buyer at no more than $30k assuming it checked out ok

This might have been a car that I looked at about 3 years ago, from a dealer at Five Dock??  I pulled out after I discovered the repaired WO.  I think final price it sold for was in the $30k range.  Originally from Queensland???

I would have thought 45K for a lovely one with this mileage and I think with that status it’s a completely different car that will only appeal on price to a price range / high mileage buyer would have thought 25/30K as most would pay the extra for a lovely 

Paul

2 hours ago, JLD said:

Perhaps the starting price is 20k over the odds

its white 😍 but it’s a tip , but it’ looks tidy , but it’s a tip but wait sub 100kms and less than 40k.. sounds like an interesting buy  ...