wow too bad personality can put you off cars

Monyx

I am keenly watching the 987.2 and 981 market, but I wow what a bunch of judgemental commentary that really didn't need to be said when I opened with an amount he didn't agree with for his White 987.2 S. Only $4k outside of his to-date best offer.

51892182_ScreenShot2019-07-07at4_46_48pm.thumb.png.b47d508bad884b5e591c2a0cceb8db77.png

I certainly don't  see myself as the arbiter of good form, but , having said that I think you're well within your right to make any offer you're comfortable with, and he is likewise able to reply however he sees fit.

However copying and pasting the exchange on a public forum does neither he or you any favours. 

I think you sort of asked for it by offering $9K less than his asking price. No seller is going to discount that much from his asking price. Even if his asking price is unreasonable in your opinion, that should clue you as to what his expectation is. I normally just dismiss these sort of ads until they come to their senses and drop the price. 

Also the 987.2 is a relatively rare model having only been manufactured for three years before the 981 was introduced. The combination of several factors resulted in the small number of 987.2s being sold here. One is, the release of the 987.2 coincided with the GFC in 2008/9. Also many buyers knew the 981 was only a couple of years away - the 987 platform was already five years old at that stage, and Porsche usually has a 8 year model turnaround. The 987.2's engine does not have the IMS that the 987.1 has, even though the problem of IMS failures was overblown, buyers still prefer the 987.2 over the 987.1 and values reflect that. 

Agree with 9er.

My 2c.  It’s very hard to gauge the seriousness of offers by text. I normally just ignore them or ring the sender back (in which case the sender rarely picks up). Much better to negotiate in person or at the very least by telephone conversation if interstate.

Also, what was to be gained by responding to his message declining your offer?  Why not just move on to another car?  It all went down downhill from there.

You were also not comparing apples with apples, A 981S Boxster in White with twice as many miles is asking $84K. The non S models are cheaper because they have a smaller engine.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Boxster-2012/OAG-AD-17266056/?Cr=2

The car you were enquiring about is:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Boxster-2011/SSE-AD-6072570/?Cr=1

32 minutes ago, Apogee said:

You were also not comparing apples with apples, A 981S Boxster in White with twice as many miles is asking $84K. The non S models are cheaper because they have a smaller engine.

Yes, my comparison was purposely comparing higher spec older model to newer lower spec model with the perf advantage of older S being balanced by improvement offered with 981 updates re: chassis, aesthetic, interior etc. Whatever you say about apples with apples I believe it would be quite typical cross-shopping option that buyers contemplating spending on the last 987.2 would consider. 

20 minutes ago, WB997.2GTS said:

Offering 9k under the asking price, sight unseen & by text, by my standards is an insult, no wonder you were given short shrift.

It's a staring point for negotiation - I'd be a fool to start high.

How is this even a thing? I can’t see what the big deal is - looks like a usual dialogue from either side these days. I’ve been involved with way way more colourful back n forths than that as a seller and a buyer and still got results. If you’re keen to sell or buy the car, the trick is to keep the dialogue going, finish up on a positive note and don’t take anything personally. Otherwise forget it and move on to the next seller or buyer.

17 hours ago, Monyx said:

I am keenly watching the 987.2 and 981 market, but I wow what a bunch of judgemental commentary that really didn't need to be said when I opened with an amount he didn't agree with for his White 987.2 S. Only $4k outside of his to-date best offer.

51892182_ScreenShot2019-07-07at4_46_48pm.thumb.png.b47d508bad884b5e591c2a0cceb8db77.png

Monyx, I think you provoked him into that response.

Having just sold a R32 GTR, I  just think there are too many "buyers" like that out there. If you are genuine, go see the car first, rather than price being the first issue raised.

38 minutes ago, reggiegums said:

Having just sold a R32 GTR, I  just think there are too many "buyers" like that out there. If you are genuine, go see the car first, rather than price being the first issue raised.

What do you think would be a good approach to make an offer interstate, say if I cannot inspect the vehicle personally? Should an external / third party inspection be adequate if the seller agrees to it?

Success in life is often about how you articulate... the old "its not what you're saying, its how you're saying it" comes to mind!

If you're making offers on a car you haven't had eyes on, then that usually never goes down well!

I've never sold a car to a person thats done that, and I've never bought a car that way...

18 minutes ago, rufmichan said:

What do you think would be a good approach to make an offer interstate, say if I cannot inspect the vehicle personally? Should an external / third party inspection be adequate if the seller agrees to it?

" Hi Mate, hows it going? Calling about your car you have listed for sale. Have you got 5 mins to talk about the car.....................owners, service history, blah, blah...

Thanks for that. Car sounds good. I'm interstate, would it be ok if i got a buddy of mine to check it out for me or an inspection done.

Great! We'll touch base again after the viewing/inspection and then we can talk about pricing and payment options"

Boom!

1 hour ago, reggiegums said:

" Hi Mate, hows it going? Calling about your car you have listed for sale. Have you got 5 mins to talk about the car.....................owners, service history, blah, blah...

Thanks for that. Car sounds good. I'm interstate, would it be ok if i got a buddy of mine to check it out for me or an inspection done.

Great! We'll touch base again after the viewing/inspection and then we can talk about pricing and payment options"

Boom!

I just sold a car and overall it went pretty smooth, did have a couple of cases of the above though where someone would inspect and then low-ball.  I'd rather a low-ball offer via text which I can say no to as opposed to washing the car, meeting someone on the weekend then saying no.  

I also just purchased a new set of wheels and the car I ended up buying was priced pretty well.  There were a couple of examples of similar cars with colours/options I would have preferred but price was 30-40% more for some reason.  I contacted those sellers seeing if they were open to a price similar to the one I purchased or if they were happy to wait it out (these cars had already been for sale 6 months+) and in both instances they gave me a no and I moved on.

Guess it's hard to say, maybe those two people above may have moved on price if I had called then inspected...Or maybe they are happy to just price them above market and wait it out.

6 hours ago, reggiegums said:

Monyx, I think you provoked him into that response.

really? his condescending attitude started pretty early, i kinda tried to take the high ground despite his telling me what I can and can't afford and what colour I should buy...well until the end I took a dig, but like someone else said here I'd del my 1st couple of responses to try keep it civil. Car was 4-5 hrs north of me, I reckon cut to chase on pricing before I start spending days driving around.

I've bought several cars from interstate (why are they always in bloody Perth!) where it's not practical to go see it.  I usually start with a call, as the old saying goes you buy the owner more than the car.  If I get a good feeling about the seller and the car, then I usually ask who else knows the car and then speak to them.  Often a local workshop or similar.  Once I am comfortable then more discussions with the seller and sometimes there is some text back and forth with specific queries, offers, counter offers until we have a deal.  Then deposit subject to "it being what you say it is".  I bought a 964C2 this way ex Perth, flew over and it was as expected, easy.  I've since bought 2 cars ex Perth sight unseen, transferred by EFT and first saw the car when it got delivered.  Risky but they were track cars where mechanical condition was verified and cosmetics were not critical.  Happy every time.

on the flip side when selling the GT2 I had multiple, repeated offers by text typically 30% or more below the ask and all sorts of garbled justification for why my car wasn't worth X. I either ignore them or reply with call me to discuss (they never do) or "how's get fucked sound".  Can't be stuffed having an argument via text with someone who is clearly not my buyer.

i don't see a great problem with the opening text (but agree a call is always better) but the responses and ongoing exchange became a bit petty.  As soon as the seller starts taking a swipe and justifying his price then clearly there's no deal to be done, I'd have ignored him and moved on.

Text offers shit me if your going to low ball at least have the courtesy to call the seller direct .

This should never have been a topic of discussion on a forum to start with most certainly not a copied and pasted text message conversation . 

Regardless on how the seller reacted you should not have pissed your pants and brought here to be honest