What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

• 3 weeks later...

For the past five years since we bought the Boxster, the Tiptronic shift lever becomes very stiff as the car warms up. It doesn't stop you from changing between R, N & D, but recently has become worse.

I had the mechanic check the cable connections to the gear box and they were fine. A bit of googling found the likely culprit.

Where the shift lever pivots there is an adjusting friction bolt (circled in red) that can be loosened off. There is also a triangular plate with a spring below which appears to be there to limit dust intruding into the shift mechanism, but it was quite clear it was experiencing quite a bit of friction, as it was  scored and also had a bit of fine dust on the mating surfaces.

When reassembling, I decided not to put this triangular plate back in and with the adjustment of the pivot bolt, the gear shift is now silky smooth. This fix should apply to all Tiptronic cars.....

Shifter.thumb.JPG.f0bd387e37dcba0a3328dfd9cf8dcb7d.JPG

Shifter2.thumb.JPG.b9308e4b77d404f6b20885d5b11e9896.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fitted these grilles from Radiator Grill Store in the states.

I’ve done just 600km since collecting the car and it already had leaves and crap accumulating in the radiators.  Design flaw Porsche have persisted with for decades 🤦‍♂️

For those with OCD, I know I know, the mesh holes don’t align perfectly with the centre bar but it’s as good as I could get it, looks fine in the flesh and will serve its purpose (it’s also beyond the limit of my hand skills!)

The RGS grills look “factory” I reckon

BE4DD05F-C9B9-402B-88A4-568FB19AEB71.jpeg

BEFC72D7-F87B-4832-9909-0253A2BCE691.jpeg

12795041-2512-4896-9C1F-67B47AB04102.jpeg

and interestingly every GT4RS I have seen already has grills, go figure.  Oh well saves me another job come July

8CE11D42-9044-4B4A-B6D2-65B31EE06391.png

63091716-C7B5-4418-AFB2-0ADB658086CB.png

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_8795.thumb.jpg.b617b62aa40c30a898477a9b58e65d7d.jpg

IMG_8797.thumb.jpg.ccf4658e3aeaa654888a25feb9e8027c.jpg

Candidates for both least technical and cheapest additions to a Porsche, as befitting my mechanical prowess :) 

First pic: CTEK quick release battery terminal. Is there a more elegant way to fit the quick release, rather than just 'hanging'? Works well though.

Second pic: I was after a deep dish rubber boot liner for my 992's frunk, for those times when my kids have a leaky drinks bottle in their bag, or when Mrs Tricky is determined to bring home some pot plants from the nursery. I found some genuine looking Porsche liners, but I baulked at $290. Call me a cheapskate. Got this one from Super Cheap - $30. Perfect fit and nicely deep dish, albeit a bit asymmetric being a floormat.

On 04/01/2023 at 17:24, DJM said:

Fitted these grilles from Radiator Grill Store in the states.

I’ve done just 600km since collecting the car and it already had leaves and crap accumulating in the radiators.  Design flaw Porsche have persisted with for decades 🤦‍♂️

For those with OCD, I know I know, the mesh holes don’t align perfectly with the centre bar but it’s as good as I could get it, looks fine in the flesh and will serve its purpose (it’s also beyond the limit of my hand skills!)

The RGS grills look “factory” I reckon

BEFC72D7-F87B-4832-9909-0253A2BCE691.jpeg

12795041-2512-4896-9C1F-67B47AB04102.jpeg

and interestingly every GT4RS I have seen already has grills, go figure.  Oh well saves me another job come July

That grill looks good, I am thinking of replacing the grills in mine, price on the Radiator Grill store is good, do you remember how much the freight was and how long did it take you to get your order?

41 minutes ago, Niko said:

That grill looks good, I am thinking of replacing the grills in mine, price on the Radiator Grill store is good, do you remember how much the freight was and how long did it take you to get your order?

Grilles US$120, shipping US$80 (might be slower cheaper options I can’t recall).  So about A$300 all up.

ordered 17 Dec, arrived around 2 Jan.  

No complaints all very simple and efficient. 

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't do anything to the car today apart from giving it a bit of a spanking.  Trip to Hobart to checkout the Wood Boat Festival.  F'n miles of roadworks down the Midlands Highway at the moment, so I went up over the top - up through Poatina, across the highlands to Bothwell and on to Melton Mowbray to rejoin the Midlands  Highway after all the road works had finished. Came across another 911 coming the other way early morning, quick flash of lights to each other before I realised it was a good mate's new Touring!!  Haven't seen it up close yet, surprised me a bit that he'd traded his 991 3RS on it, but I think it might help him secure a 992 3RS in the nearish future........

Anyway, also dropped into our OPC later in the day to check out the 4RS demo they have on display, spent lots of time looking at all the lovely detail bits, but still probably a bit overshadowed by Simon's old 3RS sitting next to it though.....

• 4 weeks later...