Coronavirus - what do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

One of the local Drugys Teasted positive on the week end. So all the extra cash they have been getting the drug supply has doubled meaning all the crew that scored over the weekend are potental carriers .  We had none 8 days ago know we have 12 and one dead all because 1 person from the Big smoke did not follow the rules .

On 28/04/2020 at 18:48, Redracn said:

Not me. I would rather go to a catch it party and get it over and done with while there is plenty of spare hospital capacity. 

On 28/04/2020 at 20:15, Redracn said:

Odds of surviving it with little to no symptoms are in my favour. Just check out the link I posted above. 

Hows this working out for you?

2 hours ago, Uncle said:

Hows this working out for you?

Lots of hype in the media as they are trying their best to scare everyone so they stay under the bed.
You can run but there is nowhere to hide. The current cure is worse than the disease and will kill more people from suicide alone. 

As I read recently “people are now so afraid of dying they are to scared to live”

The current data for Australia again.   
https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2020/08/coronavirus-covid-19-at-a-glance-3-august-2020.pdf

Check deaths by age and sex and who has tested positive by age and sex graphs 
If your old or have a condition sure isolate but the for rest CV19 is not a catastrophe but the cure is.

Sure it's all hype and no worse than the flu...

Early days but a number of even younger and fit people are showing some serious side effects from Covid-19. We just don't know enough about the long term effects to just open the doors and let the young kids all catch it.

Sobering read about the effects on a fit 50 year old doctor in Sydney. 

https://www.smh.com.au/national/seizures-and-battered-heart-how-covid-19-scarred-a-healthy-sydney-doctor-20200802-p55hqj.html

15 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Sure it's all hype and no worse than the flu...

Early days but a number of even younger and fit people are showing some serious side effects from Covid-19. We just don't know enough about the long term effects to just open the doors and let the young kids all catch it.

Sobering read about the effects on a fit 50 year old doctor in Sydney. 

https://www.smh.com.au/national/seizures-and-battered-heart-how-covid-19-scarred-a-healthy-sydney-doctor-20200802-p55hqj.html

What is fit?

Vitamin D is reported to be very beneficial but a lot of fit people are deficient as are the old. What we are not hearing about is the underlying health conditions and some people will have them and not know about it I.e diabetes. I’m not saying there won’t be some young affected but when you look at the numbers they are so small as to be insignificant when making policy. As for lingering effects the flu has plenty of those too.
Do we shut down the country because 1 in a million young seemingly fit people have an adverse reaction to a virus.
The flu kills many more young people than CV19. 

1 hour ago, Redracn said:

Lots of hype in the media as they are trying their best to scare everyone so they stay under the bed.
You can run but there is nowhere to hide. The current cure is worse than the disease and will kill more people from suicide alone. 

As I read recently “people are now so afraid of dying they are to scared to live”

The current data for Australia again.   
https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2020/08/coronavirus-covid-19-at-a-glance-3-august-2020.pdf

Check deaths by age and sex and who has tested positive by age and sex graphs 
If your old or have a condition sure isolate but the for rest CV19 is not a catastrophe but the cure is.

I have little concern that the disease will affect me.  But it’s not about me dying, it’s about me getting it and passing it on.  The more people that have a similar selfish attitude of “I won’t die so I don’t care if I get it (& spread it)” then we are in real trouble.  Play your role. Stop the  spread getting to people who can least afford to get it like my 91 y/o and otherwise healthy Mum.  And yes she is locked away in her unit but inevitably she has to engage with society in some ways (medical for example) and so the less of it there is in the community the less likely she will cop it.

Sick of hearing it’s no worse than flu - it’s about twice as contagious and 10 times more deadly based on the science.  Run those numbers......oh hang on, your not an epidemiologist.  

Flu has never got her but I’m very concerned this might if we don’t get the current run under control quickly.  Thankfully Mornington Peninsula remains relatively low numbers compared to north and west Melbourne so fingers crossed. 

10 minutes ago, DJM said:

I have little concern that the disease will affect me.  But it’s not about me dying, it’s about me getting it and passing it on.  The more people that have a similar selfish attitude of “I won’t die so I don’t care if I get it (& spread it)” then we are in real trouble.  Play your role. Stop the  spread getting to people who can least afford to get it like my 91 y/o and otherwise healthy Mum.  And yes she is locked away in her unit but inevitably she has to engage with society in some ways (medical for example) and so the less of it there is in the community the less likely she will cop it.

Sick of hearing it’s no worse than flu - it’s about twice as contagious and 10 times more deadly based on the science.  Run those numbers......oh hang on, your not an epidemiologist.  

Flu has never got her but I’m very concerned this might if we don’t get the current run under control quickly.  Thankfully Mornington Peninsula remains relatively low numbers compared to north and west Melbourne so fingers crossed. 

10 times more deadly? Where’s you science to back that up? They don’t even know who has actually had it and gotten better or had no symptoms. The figures are rubbery at best. The flu also has a vaccine. 
Now just say you got it and isolated and got over it. You can no longer spread it. Just think if the young and fit did that? Pretty soon the virus has a low chance of propagating

And what is your vision of an exit plan and the future? Vaccine? There are no vaccines for corona virus. Treatment to possibly help reduce the death rate? Eradication? Permeant state of fear and lockdown every time someone sneezes? How much damage to the future of the young are you prepared to inflict on them? 
BTW both my parents are in the critical age group.

An interesting bit of data I heard was that the average Covid death age  at 81 was 10years older than the life expectancy of someone born in that area. Not sure how accurate that is. 

Yep if people got tested and isolated we wouldn’t be where we are.  In Vic 800 of 3000 failed to isolate.  It’s the selfish crew that’s ruining it for everyone.  I support the $5k fine then GPS anklet or lock them up if that’s what it takes to stop them moving around. 

21 minutes ago, DJM said:

Yep if people got tested and isolated we wouldn’t be where we are.  In Vic 800 of 3000 failed to isolate.  It’s the selfish crew that’s ruining it for everyone.  I support the $5k fine then GPS anklet or lock them up if that’s what it takes to stop them moving around. 

Yep I it would be good if everyone who had it isolated and did not pass it on but that will never happen today no matter what the fines or other measures taken so relying an the goodwill of the community is not a solution although it could have been 20 or 30 years ago. Our Vic leader says BLM protests are ok with no fines.

So exactly how far would you go in stopping someone who has Covid from moving around? Perhaps we could bring back the death penalty/sarc

Yep, lock people up, self isolation, curfews, ban sport, ban this, ban that, close that business, make people go broke, close that border, fine people thousands of dollars, yet THEY'RE STILL ALLOWING PLANES FROM F....NG INDIA TO COME HERE!! A fkn plane load arrived here in Adelaide just today and they go into 14 days quarantine, yet how long does the kung flu gestate for? Noone fkn knows do they? Why close our borders to Victorians if they're allowing people to fly in from a country that is rife with Covid19? 

Sorry, I'm no conspiracy theorist, and I'm sure I'll flamed for this, but theres something bloody fishy going on here. You watch Dan Andrews yapping about what they had to do, and he's blinking and looking away all the time, yet as soon as he's asked about the fines he's straight down the line BOOM, you'll get fined $5000! Not buying into all of this bullshit the government's are pushing onto us. First you Vic's get a curfew (why, is covid only catchable between 5am and 8pm?), now you have to have a piece of paper from an employer to prove why you're out? "Tradies can only work on a building up to XXX height" What?  F..k off 🤬

1 hour ago, DJM said:

YES YES YES

I used to work in the GPS anklet area & its so easy to do and very cheap these days. They are about as intrusive as current mobile phones. small and efficient.

Some bureaucracies hate them because they replace  a whole range of gov. employees who mind and check people. Victoria is having manpower problems trying to find police/army to check people are at home, ankle monitors would cut this task back to nearly nothing. Checkers could concentrate on the real problems.  

36 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

YES YES YES

I used to work in the GPS anklet area & its so easy to do and very cheap these days. They are about as intrusive as current mobile phones. small and efficient.

Some bureaucracies hate them because they replace  a whole range of gov. employees who mind and check people. Victoria is having manpower problems trying to find police/army to check people are at home, ankle monitors would cut this task back to nearly nothing. Checkers could concentrate on the real problems.  

You would be well aware then that a GPS can be made to be exactly where you want it to be using satellite simulators. I can see a big market for these if GPS tracking ever takes off. Put simply a device you can put in your pocket and go wherever you like and your ankle bracelet thinks your still at home. 

9 hours ago, LeeM said:

Yep, lock people up, self isolation, curfews, ban sport, ban this, ban that, close that business, make people go broke, close that border, fine people thousands of dollars, yet THEY'RE STILL ALLOWING PLANES FROM F....NG INDIA TO COME HERE!! A fkn plane load arrived here in Adelaide just today and they go into 14 days quarantine, yet how long does the kung flu gestate for? Noone fkn knows do they? Why close our borders to Victorians if they're allowing people to fly in from a country that is rife with Covid19? 

Sorry, I'm no conspiracy theorist, and I'm sure I'll flamed for this, but theres something bloody fishy going on here. You watch Dan Andrews yapping about what they had to do, and he's blinking and looking away all the time, yet as soon as he's asked about the fines he's straight down the line BOOM, you'll get fined $5000! Not buying into all of this bullshit the government's are pushing onto us. First you Vic's get a curfew (why, is covid only catchable between 5am and 8pm?), now you have to have a piece of paper from an employer to prove why you're out? "Tradies can only work on a building up to XXX height" What?  F..k off 🤬

Make sure you filter your water . The Government has put the virus in the water ..

Talking to my Doctor the other day who has a PhD in Immunology and he said something very interesting.

First I asked him how many cases has he had at his Medical centre. He said none but 3 baggage handles were referred to him. Make of that what you will.

Then we got talking about a vaccine and he said that if they find a vaccine for Covid 19 they will have found a vaccine for the common cold.

Whether he was being serious about the vaccine I really don't know but I have known him for years and he's not one for making big statements like that willy nilly.

Again make of that what you will.

Also about 4 weeks ago I was talking to a taxi driver and I asked him how many people he knows that have had the virus let alone died from it. He said none. Now you would think a taxi driver would know and meet a lot of people. I was very surprised by his response.

30 minutes ago, 3legs said:

Also about 4 weeks ago I was talking to a taxi driver and I asked him how many people he knows that have had the virus let alone died from it. He said none. Now you would think a taxi driver would know and meet a lot of people. I was very surprised by his response.

Do you honestly believe that he would tell you the truth.....

A taxi driver would not know how many of the dozens (hundreds) of clients he has ferried around has been infected.

1 hour ago, 3legs said:

Talking to my Doctor the other day who has a PhD in Immunology and he said something very interesting.

First I asked him how many cases has he had at his Medical centre. He said none but 3 baggage handles were referred to him. Make of that what you will.

Then we got talking about a vaccine and he said that if they find a vaccine for Covid 19 they will have found a vaccine for the common cold.

Whether he was being serious about the vaccine I really don't know but I have known him for years and he's not one for making big statements like that willy nilly.

Again make of that what you will.

Was was his view on the economic recovery? 

I think you guys missed my point. It's doesn't matter what I believe. These are merely observations I have made and conveying them to you so you can make your own mind up and what you think.

As for the taxi driver he would meet hundreds of people in week more than we would in a year plus he talks with other taxi drivers who also meet hundreds of people a week. I didn't say whether I believed him or not but you would have thought that with the amount of people he has had contact with since the beginning of the year he would have come across one person or has heard of one person getting infected but for him to say he hasn't heard of one person getting the virus I thought was quite surprising.

For the record, yes I do think Covid 19 exists, yes I believe people are dying from it and yes I do believe some restrictions to our way of life are necessary at the moment.

Again for the record I also have not heard of anyone getting the virus within my circle of family and friends and I'm married to an Italian from a large family.

Doesn't mean it's not real just means exactly what I said, I personally have not heard of anyone other than what you read and see on the news.

Just thought I should clear that up before people start jumping down my throught for having a different opinion to theirs ( not that I would give a shit anyway 😀 )