3 hours ago, Dalai said:

Well out of control. I commute to work by bike and pass a lot of slow moving or stationary traffic. Surprisingly high percentage of drivers have their phones in hand or on the lap!

The technology to solve it is quite simple.  Stuff is more addictive than nicotine so phone makers are not going to do it voluntarily.  I’m a non-interventionist in principle but the road toll is going up after years of decline - it’s clear it’s time for action.  The irony is people get busted for talking on the phone but  the real issue is, as stated, texting and social media and games.

When my kids get to driving I’m going to figure out how to turn their car into a faraday cage.

17 minutes ago, Coastr said:

The technology to solve it is quite simple.  Stuff is more addictive than nicotine so phone makers are not going to do it voluntarily.  I’m a non-interventionist in principle but the road toll is going up after years of decline - it’s clear it’s time for action.  The irony is people get busted for talking on the phone but  the real issue is, as stated, texting and social media and games.

When my kids get to driving I’m going to figure out how to turn their car into a faraday cage.

I for one would not tolerate the nanny state stopping me using my iPad/phone etc as a Passenger

Heres a better solution with tech that is available now and only affects the driver(offender) . A simple sensor to ensure both hands are on the steering wheel as in wrapped arround it and on opposite sides. It should measure your pulse to make it hard to defeat and it could warn you to calm down when needed. Only temporary removal of the left hand to change gears which the car will check. Would also stop many many other dangerous activities and promote better driving habits. Brake the rule and when you get home the car could put itself in the sin bin and not operate for a specific time that gets longer per offense. You will need compatible designed for purpose gloves if you are that way inclined. 

My  VENT “The demise of common sense”. We are truly rooted when people are too stupid to protect their own lives & prepared to endanger everyone else because they have to text or message “right now, it can’t wait”  , oh I forgot, I’m driving on the freeway at 110kmh what could possibly go wrong!  One more thing, when are our leaders going to get over “it’s all about speed” & eventually link the rise in road deaths with the arrival of the mobile phone, can’t be the hard to work out can it?

28 minutes ago, GC9911 said:

My  VENT “The demise of common sense”. We are truly rooted when people are too stupid to protect their own lives & prepared to endanger everyone else because they have to text or message “right now, it can’t wait”  

Spot on.  Just arrogant, selfish morons....

I don't care too much about their lives, it's the innocent ones taken, I get really peed off about 

3 hours ago, Redracn said:

I for one would not tolerate the nanny state stopping me using my iPad/phone etc as a Passenger

Heres a better solution with tech that is available now and only affects the driver(offender) . A simple sensor to ensure both hands are on the steering wheel as in wrapped arround it and on opposite sides. It should measure your pulse to make it hard to defeat and it could warn you to calm down when needed. Only temporary removal of the left hand to change gears which the car will check. Would also stop many many other dangerous activities and promote better driving habits. Brake the rule and when you get home the car could put itself in the sin bin and not operate for a specific time that gets longer per offense. You will need compatible designed for purpose gloves if you are that way inclined. 

Really? Anyhow, next time can you use more paragraphs as I kept losing my place reading your post as I had to keep looking at the road while I was on the freeway. Thanks in advance.

15 minutes ago, Pork Chops said:

Really? Anyhow, next time can you use more paragraphs as I kept losing my place reading your post as I had to keep looking at the road while I was on the freeway. Thanks in advance.

Get message, look up, read next line, look up, WTF read 4 lines, look up, she said what? read next 4 lines, crash, die.

42 minutes ago, Pork Chops said:

Nice one Chops. You have convinced me to use bullet points or whatever the PC call them now.  So as to not upset the snowflakes I will use emoji points instead. 

? I doubt it is possible to stop the addicted so: 

? If you can not stop them then minimise risk by helping as better than doing nothing.

? Heads up display and big text to keep eyes on road.

? Forward looking camera so you can see the road ahead on your phone while reading and texting. 

? Big sign on roof indicating idiot driver using a phone so they can be avoided. 

? Location map that shows all the other idiot drivers and pedestrians around you using a phone while driving/walking/cycling and their accident record.

Got another vent today 

Dropped my nail gun off to be repaired 3 weeks ago for the first time in 7 years, as it started misfiring. Old fella said he'd look at it 'Tomorrow' (3 weeks ago). Numerous calls over the past 2 weeks were met with 'I got busy with urgent repairs of other customers tool's' etc, will get to it tomorrow. Mate, as I told you, I NEED this gun for work and its also urgent! 

Anyway, fed up with waiting, I had to buy a new gun  for $750 at a time when work is very light and I'm skint (nail guns....thats another long story in itself. Don't believe what YouTube and online reviews say about certain products. Just buy a Dewalt!). Rang repairer bloke today to ask whats happening, and he says 'Oh I wondered when you were going to ask, I finished that on Monday, all good!' ?  Well you have my number, why didn't you call me? 'You said you were going to call me!' ?? 

I'm not a patient man by any means, yet I reluctantly put up with people's inept ability to put others first, especially when they're running a business, yet really, how hard is it to pick up the phone? The bells should have rung when I first walked into his shop that resembles a scene from Steptoe and Son, or a dodgy pawn shop full of crap! Bet this is going to cost me $$$

10 hours ago, Redracn said:

Nice one Chops. You have convinced me to use bullet points or whatever the PC call them now.  So as to not upset the snowflakes I will use emoji points instead. 

? I doubt it is possible to stop the addicted so: 

? If you can not stop them then minimise risk by helping as better than doing nothing.

? Heads up display and big text to keep eyes on road.

? Forward looking camera so you can see the road ahead on your phone while reading and texting. 

? Big sign on roof indicating idiot driver using a phone so they can be avoided. 

? Location map that shows all the other idiot drivers and pedestrians around you using a phone while driving/walking/cycling and their accident record.

Good and bad. Good for driving / reading my phone. Thanks. Bad as the emojis are making me feel my existential pain. Thanks for nothing. And being a snowflake I’m bloody offended to boot.

bloody auto workshops......arrrrrggggghhh.  My Mazda guru in carrum downs had no time to work on the race car, too busy working on Viper and Daytona for Bathurst 12h.  Couldn't look at it until March.  Nope, need it done sooner than that so I took it all the way to Maztech in Thornbury and here I am 6 weeks later (in March), nothing done, no calls or texts responded to.  So I call in last week while I was out that way, who are you again?  Oh yeah mate new Microtech ECU is in, almost done just gotta dyno it.  Stick my head in the car as I'm leaving, old ECU still staring at me.  

FFS how do these businesses ever turn a dollar?  He spends half an hour moving a dozen cars out every morning just so he can get some soace to do some work on the other dozen inside but never finishes anything.  Then I see his FB posts rooting around dyno tuning turbo charged Harley's (ah, yep, try 280hp at the rear wheel.....?).  

Id love to get in there and organise these idiots - new business plan - start a job, finish it, piss it off, get paid, repeat.

Re text maniacs ; change "drink then" to "text and" and put one of these every 100m

MDHO9nx.png

As Col said to Frank :  "If all the village idiots, from all the villages, left their villages, and made their own village, of idiots. In that village, you would be the village idiot."

19 minutes ago, DJM said:

bloody auto workshops......arrrrrggggghhh.  My Mazda guru in carrum downs had no time to work on the race car, too busy working on Viper and Daytona for Bathurst 12h.  Couldn't look at it until March.  

Given the Viper and Daytona results in the 12 hour it is probably a good thing to change shops. Unfortunatly it looks like your search is not over yet.

2 hours ago, DJM said:

bloody auto workshops......arrrrrggggghhh.  My Mazda guru in carrum downs had no time to work on the race car, too busy working on Viper and Daytona for Bathurst 12h.  Couldn't look at it until March.  Nope, need it done sooner than that so I took it all the way to Maztech in Thornbury and here I am 6 weeks later (in March), nothing done, no calls or texts responded to.  So I call in last week while I was out that way, who are you again?  Oh yeah mate new Microtech ECU is in, almost done just gotta dyno it.  Stick my head in the car as I'm leaving, old ECU still staring at me.  

FFS how do these businesses ever turn a dollar?  He spends half an hour moving a dozen cars out every morning just so he can get some soace to do some work on the other dozen inside but never finishes anything.  Then I see his FB posts rooting around dyno tuning turbo charged Harley's (ah, yep, try 280hp at the rear wheel.....?).  

Id love to get in there and organise these idiots - new business plan - start a job, finish it, piss it off, get paid, repeat.

Who is your Mazda man in Carrum Downer?   

1 hour ago, Niko said:

Who is your Mazda man in Carrum Downer?   

Bill Schoots (WPS Racing) - tiny workshop in Tova Drive, no signage.  they have been very successful with a Gen1 RX7 in improved production racing.  He looks after a number of similar cars and has been great but works alone so often a long wait to get work done.  

Highly developed car - with 320hp NA 13B it's done 1:41 around PI.  To put that in perspective a well driven GT4 does 1:45.  Low 900kg and very good driver helps!

3 hours ago, Redracn said:

Given the Viper and Daytona results in the 12 hour it is probably a good thing to change shops. Unfortunatly it looks like your search is not over yet.

Bill gets brought in on contract to help build and maintain the cars and his son Ben is one of the drivers.  Bill is very good at what he does, I think they generally do well on very low budget relative to factory teams.  not sure what happened this year.  Keen for Bill to continue to look after it, just need these Maztech clowns to get the dyno tuning sorted.

7 hours ago, DJM said:

As far as a lot of business owners go, especially the 20/30 year olds, their priorities lie with what they LIKE to do or their 'VIP' clients, not the bread and butter clients. I think most business owners and their employees just don't give a toss about good old fashioned service anymore, and clients are just a neccesary evil

10 hours ago, DJM said:

Bill Schoots (WPS Racing) - tiny workshop in Tova Drive, no signage.  they have been very successful with a Gen1 RX7 in improved production racing.  He looks after a number of similar cars and has been great but works alone so often a long wait to get work done.  

Highly developed car - with 320hp NA 13B it's done 1:41 around PI.  To put that in perspective a well driven GT4 does 1:45.  Low 900kg and very good driver helps!

Bill gets brought in on contract to help build and maintain the cars and his son Ben is one of the drivers.  Bill is very good at what he does, I think they generally do well on very low budget relative to factory teams.  not sure what happened this year.  Keen for Bill to continue to look after it, just need these Maztech clowns to get the dyno tuning sorted.

Might be you dont pay Bill enough so he took on the Daytona and Viper as they had a very reasonable budget. Probably not as big as the factory guys but very very reasonable. I hope Bills kids sake he was not paired with JA.

8 hours ago, Redracn said:

Might be you dont pay Bill enough so he took on the Daytona and Viper as they had a very reasonable budget. Probably not as big as the factory guys but very very reasonable. I hope Bills kids sake he was not paired with JA.

Never quibbled over any of his bills.  He always complains he doesn't make any money , customers store their cars there for months on end and don't pay.  So I say dump their cars outside after three warnings and then charge customers more for work you do and we'll pay but he never does.  Good bloke, good race engineer, bad businessman.

I had the 997 serviced recently, picked the car up drove out, THUMP THUMP THUMP sound. What the? got out, checked the wheels were on, and had air, turned around went back. Took the mechanic out to show him the sound... THUMP THUMP THUMP. Hmmm

Back to the workshop, up on the hoist ... A screw in the rear tyre.

Hmmm my suspicions is that I picked up the screw from his workshop cause there's no reason for screws to be lying around on the short distance of road that I drove on. 

And now after he changed the Pollen filter, my ventilation fan makes a funny sound when the car is first started. Wonder what that is?

And on the subjects of sounds, my brake pedal makes a sound going in and out.

BIG SIGH.

My employment is on the roads. The scatooli that I see on the roads would make you check your tyres daily. Tradies fly past with cabinets open regularly. 

Luckily the debris gets swept off the common drive line. I avoid any other line especially on intersections or roundabouts. 

7 minutes ago, firstone said:

My employment is on the roads. The scatooli that I see on the roads would make you check your tyres daily. Tradies fly past with cabinets open regularly. 

Luckily the debris gets swept off the common drive line. I avoid any other line especially on intersections or roundabouts. 

Totally agree! Never drive on the outside of the white line (L/H), the people that I see cut corners significantly probably have no idea either how lucky they are or why they get so many punctures.....

1 hour ago, ANF said:

Totally agree! Never drive on the outside of the white line (L/H), the people that I see cut corners significantly probably have no idea either how lucky they are or why they get so many punctures.....

No need to cut corners in a Porsche.  ?