Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

I still remember my first "proper" drive in the GT2, all 580+HP, chasing JimTT in his lightly tuned 996TT in the wet through Reefton spur.  It was PROPERLY fast.  He had AWD and TC/SC, I had neither and I was pedalling bloody hard to keep up (and keep it on the road).  That drive was the beginning of the end of my GT2 ownership, I survived but that was on the ragged edge and a bit silly in hindsight.  996TT is an al weather weapon capable of keeping with most current fast cars.

Both you and Jim TT provided plenty of motivation for me to get into a faster car than what I had.  As you know, I was a little bit spoilt for years of having an old sleeper of the twin turbo kind that punched well above its weight particularly from 1800rpm to 3000 rpm.  That felt fast driving traffic light to traffic light and dishes got done driving around in only second and third gear in terms of butt dyno fast, but admit had a very limited purview of what other performance cars are like behind the wheel.   Out of the box, comparatively speaking, nothing seemed to happen in a stock 996 turbo up until about 3300 rpm. (say 90km/hr plus and second and third really had piss poor throttle response, eg laggy and waiting for the boost to come on.  Didn't do much on the butt dyno meter reading for fast until your get over 3300 rpm and at least 3 digits on your speedo.

1.5  pieces of information you have left out in the above post as I see it for those not in the know  for consideration / disclosure.  I suspect JimTT at the time wasn't sporting no stock 996TT exhaust.  Eg He sealed the deal for me going with a Kline 2.5" x pipe exhaust setup (think his setup is with 200cel cats) but never been a fan of 200 cel cats and reckon 100 race cel cats are the way to go.  Now Jim briefly drove my car on a stage 1 OTS tune from cobb with Kline exhaust and felt it did not pull as hard as his.  My car with a stage 1 tune and Kline exhaust with 100 cel race cats was way better to drive over stock (night and day difference).   With a stage 2 OTS Cobb tune that was a another big stepup for me and shame Jim didn't drive it with that tune for a cpmparison.   However, reckon it wouldn't hold a candle stick to Jim's 996TT. Perhaps I have been drinking some green kool aid of late, but Jim is also not sporting some lightweight custom tune as not all tunes are alike as I see it(happy to call my Cobb OTS stage 2 tune as lightly tuned). JimTT is running what I see as the best 996 custom tune on stock K16 Turbo's on an after market exhaust  in the business.

So just some slight tinkering of your last sentence is perhaps needed.   "Well custom tuned 996TT with a free flowing exhaust  is a must to transform a stock one to an all weather weapon capable of keeping with most current fast cars"

I'm suffering from sipping on some of that green kool aide that Jim's been drinking for a few years and been stockpiling a bunch of parts and waiting on two before I can seriously pull the trigger and work on enjoying  some of that green cool aide  Jim and a few other 996 oz owners are drinking in terms of their 996TT's   Been advised that if all the moons are aligned, seeing K16 framed turbo's spooling up from circa 1500 rpms (yes had to ask for confirmation of that number 3 times over the phone) and circa HP numbers that you quoted on your 996 GT2 is not a silly as it sounds (the 1500 rpm number  is more valued to me than peak HP / tq numbers in terms of what feels fast, but I'm a little skeptical until I get to experience it ).  So looking forward in the not too distant future to paying it forward back to you in terms of a ride (I'll ride shotgun again) in a FAST 996TT that may inspire you to get back into a FAST P car. Bit embarrassed to hand the keys to you with just a light tune and exhaust).

In the meantime, you are a bad influence talking high revving NA GT3's and having itches scratched.     Eg Time to do away with the beater car and trade up (turbo itch is semi scratched (fully scratched in about 6 months) and time to do away with one lot of twin turbo's) and move into a high revving NA engine that falls within the Mrs's purview of family friendly, eg four doors on a poor mans budget  (eg European still, but unfortunately no P badge),

PS You need JimTT to take you for a spin in his NA GT4 (perhaps you will develop a itch). Not as brutal as your GT2 but up their in terms of shotgun experience and love both your work behind the wheel in terms of your driving skills.  Cant imagine riding shotgun through Reefton spur with either of you going hard at it on the brakes.   He seems to have both bases covered in terms of itch scratching on any particular day.

AMG, a "sporty" luxury car but far from what I would consider a "sports car". I think your undervaluing the 928 making such a comparison ;)

Smitty has been spending too much time with DJM shotgun in a certain GT2! It skews the perception of fast.............

AMG GT R I was talking about. Faster than 911 around the 'ring (absolute ;  +24hrs 'ring race recently) says it's a sports car to me! 

AMG GT R I was talking about. Faster than 911 around the 'ring (absolute ;  +24hrs 'ring race recently) says it's a sports car to me! 

I was actually trying to pay your beloved 928 a compliment.............obviously not trying hard enough.

I was actually trying to pay your beloved 928 a compliment.............obviously not trying hard enough.

My shark isn't fussed one way or the other! He holds his own in contemporary company.

But I do think they are pacing the room at Porsche HQ on what to do with the 911 anachronism in the modern era ;<)

MB have played catch up and are arguably overtaking now. Slippery shapes borne of the wind tunnel,  and every car nowadaysmorphs into the same shaped blob. At least the 928 is a retro blob , and thus super cool. B)

Bring back the wedgie shape!

But I do think they are pacing the room at Porsche HQ on what to do with the 911 anachronism in the modern era ;<)

Interestingly, Porsche in the US (well everywhere actually) are posting record sales and the 911 is out selling the Boxster/ Cayman combo quite nicely. Can't tell you for Aus as they don't publish figures (figures are available on P cars USA website), must be all hush hush here....! Not sure how it is going against any it's rivals?

and a remarkable 928 resemblance in the AMG..."I see you baby, shaking that ass"

928??

928?

blasphemies! nothing compares to a 928!! :angry: no matter how good looking the GT is! :)

Edited by ANF

My shark isn't fussed one way or the other! He holds his own in contemporary company.

Current -> Mid Engine -> Electric -> Hover?

I think they should trim some of the fat though, the 911s are getting big. Same with the Cayman/Boxster.

312816d1362428331-2014-porsche-911-gt3-p

Current -> Mid Engine -> Electric -> Hover?

I think they should trim some of the fat though, the 911s are getting big. Same with the Cayman/Boxster.

They are selling all they can make and at a good profit, why should they change...... current Boxster/ Cayman is pretty much same size as original. With the 718 Cayman virtually the same weight too (ignore carsales width dims as they are wrong).

For what the current 911 has in it (which clearly people want) it is quite a good weight compared to it's rivals.

At least they are sensible enough not to chase HP. Or are they?
https://www.wired.com/2015/05/porsche-calls-end-horsepower-war/

PORSCHE’S 2015 911 GT3 is a pared-down, track-derived homage to what the German brand does best. It makes 475 hp and enough grip to liquify your kidneys. It redlines at a monster 9,000 rpm. It’s faster than any GT3 before it.

And it’s … fine. Very good, even. But not great. An astonishing piece of engineering, yes, but in the pantheon of hot Porsches, kind of a dead fish. Steering feel that isn’t a patch on a 10-year-old 911’s. A huge, uninviting cockpit. No manual transmission.

Ouch!  

Anyway , what's for sale today that's interesting?

At least they are sensible enough not to chase HP. Or are they?
https://www.wired.com/2015/05/porsche-calls-end-horsepower-war/

Ouch!  

Anyway , what's for sale today that's interesting?

Just the thing then... https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-2015/OAG-AD-14642253/?Cr=1

But give me this! https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-928-1988/OAG-AD-14018812/?Cr=0

Million $ 911r hits CTS and looks like @edgy 's 968cs has a big sold sticker on it

yup, it sold whilst I was overseas. 

A lovely car that will make someone very happy....so much so, I seriously flirted with the concept of selling GT3 instead to keep it.

But after the last track day I know I can't be without my Mr Lapis. 

So that's a thumbs up for using CTS from me! 

Nope, but it shows how under valued and appreciated 928s are. This is quite a rare 928 and it has been sitting for a while now.....

Probably because "someone doesn't like the colour"

If it was black on black on black under black with tinted windows it would go in a flash.

Gents - a question for the long hood experts.

73.5T - is this the unloved bastard child of the longhoods, or is the 2.4L CIS system well regarded?  Is it worth less or more than a 73T with MFI? 

I know I've asked similar questions re the 74/75 CIS vs MFI. Just keen to specifically know your thoughts on the last of the long hoods. 

Cheers

Jono

The mfi cars command a decent premium. The CIS cars are often praised for their street driving friendly manners - low down torque etc -  but nobody really cars much about that. 

The CIS cars might all be LHD from memory too. 

( The CIS cars might all be LHD from memory too )Your memory is  wrong  I serviced a 1973.5 Green targa CIS 2.4 Adelaide delivered, still had the Mahle gas burner rims on it (over a 5 year period ) Got sold to NSW a long time ago (15 years maybe ) Performance was good and it felt as good as a 1973 2.4 E    

Interesting times

I love June , the still air , the still marketplace, such a special time of year.

Wasnt this like 500k                                                               2008 Porsche 911 GT2 997 Manual MY08 Manufacturer Marketing Year (MY) The manufacturer's marketing year of this model.                                                           

Not really player material, I think its called a correction

Time for a 993TT maybe for someone 

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1995/SSE-AD-4729846/?Cr=86

Really you would have to put that up as value against some of the 930'S ….