Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

WOW, that's been around forever.  I stopped at that Black Rock dealer Sept 16 and the GT2 amongst other Porsches was sitting out on the forecourt.  I posted here way back then.  I went in to ask how much but the guy in the workshop couldn't tell me and no one called back.  They must have known I was just sussing out the competition.  Prices have continued to fall from the heady days of high 3s asking prices and a supposed 4 sale. Don't believe the hype......This one is WELL below the last price I saw on the CTS cars and still sitting there.  GT3s continue to hold at mid to high 1s as big brother GT2 falls.  I believe GT2 cost 50% more when new so they are becoming a (relative) bargain for a very rare car.  Too fast and lacking the revs and sound of a GT3 probably holds them back.

Re: Too fast and lacking the revs and sound of a GT3 probably holds them back.

Just on too fast / lacking the revs, say you rewound the clock and boxed five parts (may of only need two, eg three of the five are Evoms replacement parts but not sure if your car was running them) off your GT2 car for resale time and swapped them over and hypothetically that allowed you to have turbo's spooling up at circa 1500 rpms instead of say 3750 rpm plus (opened up circa a third of your tacho)  with really linear power delivery from 1500rpm to whenever you take you foot off the throttle, do you reckon that would change any of your view.

Edited by smit2100

However, apparently the paint under the vinyl wrap is pretty good. 

How the hell would he know! There is no way in proving that and just adds to the risks with that car. Nobody fits a race seat with harness and bar to drive the streets, you have no idea how well it is mapped or what boost it is currently running, never mind what it has been pushed to and there is no background to the car.

Surely this is almost as "bad" as it gets. Look at it another way. It is a converted LHD car with little history running a non standard engine which may or may not be matching numbers. It doesn't have all it's original panels, the paintwork is in unknown condition and it is on the wrong wheels.

One word springs to mind. RUN! 

How the hell would he know! There is no way in proving that and just adds to the risks with that car. Nobody fits a race seat with harness and bar to drive the streets, you have no idea how well it is mapped or what boost it is currently running, never mind what it has been pushed to and there is no background to the car.

Surely this is almost as "bad" as it gets. Look at it another way. It is a converted LHD car with little history running a non standard engine which may or may not be matching numbers. It doesn't have all it's original panels, the paintwork is in unknown condition and it is on the wrong wheels.

....unless it's ridiculously cheap (e.g. $50k)

Totally agree, mate.  My derisive use of "apparently" appears to have been  too subtle. ;) 

havent seen one since mine sold to another PFA'er late last year.  With only 29 Aus delivered 996 GT2s, a red factory CS would have to be a unicorn.  Most seem to be black and silver. Is the red one still around?  Several have spat off the road and been written off apparently. 

I looked at this back in 2012 and almost bought it, assuming it is the same car.  It was at Sydney City Prestige and I was interested in it at $110k as it needed work to bring back up to scratch and at the time wasn't fitted with the ceramics etc but were available.  The interior needed a refresh and it also needed paint on the right rear quarter as it had a scratch through the paint above the wheel arch.  

you can say that again

i wonder if this was the car they were selling various go fast bits off over the last year and a bit - bringing back to stock?

You wonder where they get their pricing expectations from? Cant be much more than a hundred RHD 76's but still...

Come on you must be the man to take a chainsaw or angle grinder to that .. your probably the only with the essential 356 experience.. we can fly Jono down as your apprentice to help transform it perhaps.. 356 reimagined 

Re: Too fast and lacking the revs and sound of a GT3 probably holds them back.

Just on too fast / lacking the revs, say you rewound the clock and boxed five parts (may of only need two, eg three of the five are Evoms replacement parts but not sure if your car was running them) off your GT2 car for resale time and swapped them over and hypothetically that allowed you to have turbo's spooling up at circa 1500 rpms instead of say 3750 rpm plus (opened up circa a third of your tacho)  with really linear power delivery from 1500rpm to whenever you take you foot off the throttle, do you reckon that would change any of your view.

I meant the sound/lack of revs holds back GT2 VALUE despite scarcity.  

Personally I wouldn't buy another turbo porsche.  Scratched that itch, was fun while it lasted and can you believe not 1 speeding fine in 2 years.  

For me, any GT3 996 on will provide a more accessible performance envelope with 8-9000rpm and wailing NA to add aural excitement.

Looks like it's been around for a couple of months. Any background or just priced too high? 

There seems to be a number of 996 turbos sitting at the moment around that $100k mark, however $100k is a very crowded price point for used Porsches these days. I suspect it will sell to the right buyer unless Porsche prices soften going forward. 

Aspects of the car that appeal to me includes manual box and relatively low kms. I presume it has a full service history however I only know what is written in the ad.

I do wonder if the turbo charging of the base 911 will affect older turbo values going forward. Instead of turbocharging being unique, it will become mainstream, therefore the NA cars (especially the GT3s) become unique. Perhaps we are already beginning to see this, certainly the differential between 996 turbos and GT3s seems to be widening in favour of the GT3. 

Never ceases to amaze me that people try to sell a motors like that. I would want to see it running, big gamble for $18K.

Spot on! If there's a chance of selling  an engine prior to removal, it would be the best way to sell it for both parties ... unless there's something to hide????