Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Cheap for 968CS but noting it being a Tarmac rally car and relative to its generation competition (BMW M3 and RX7 were always compared to it back in the early 90's) still $ high. I like them but, if I could only have one car at that price point, a 996 I think is a much better car. Perhaps even a 944 S2 or turbo are also still a better buy than a 968CS since they are many $$ less and with not enough, if any, delta in performance to a 968. 

Had high hopes for this: https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2005/OAG-AD-14763997

I love these in white - guys selling on consignment, great wheels, wrong tail lights, overspray in the engine back, weird bolts in the back, feels like it's had a rear-end accident judging by the bodywork and paint not being right, then I drive it, clutch good, box good, brakes spongy, engine pulls hard, noisy knock in the back right over bumps, the guys like 'gee what's that?' - like he doesn't know it's  not right, no colour sticker under the bonnet, but tell him the price should have a 6 in front of it, he offers that the owner will take $72k, without even pausing..... then RMS vechicle check and it was built painted Black... 

Run? 

Edited by AL911

Had high hopes for this: https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2005/OAG-AD-14763997

I love these in white - guys selling on consignment, great wheels, wrong tail lights, overspray in the engine back, weird bolts in the back, feels like it's had a rear-end accident judging by the bodywork and paint not being right, then I drive it, clutch good, box good, brakes spongy, engine pulls hard, noisy knock in the back right over bumps, the guys like 'gee what's that?' - like he doesn't know it's  not right, no colour sticker under the bonnet, but tell him the price should have a 6 in front of it, he offers that the owner will take $72k, without even pausing..... then RMS vechicle check and it was built painted Black... 

Run? 

I *was* admiring that one too... 

So I thought Porsche were officially against the idea of cars like the 991R being flipped for blatant profiteering, yet here we have an official Porsche dealership in Perth with about a $400k premium over sticker price on a 527km old car.... why aren't they selling it at expected depreciation of a 9 month old car that has been driven off the lot? They claim it's a demo.... I claim BS. I wonder if Porsche are the only previous registered owner...

https://www.carsales.com.au/demo/details/Porsche-911-2016/OAG-AD-14669788

Edited by TrevMcRev

So I thought Porsche were officially against the idea of cars like the 991R being flipped for blatant profiteering, yet here we have an official Porsche dealership in Perth with about a $400k premium over sticker price on a 527km old car.... why are they selling it at expected depreciation of a 9 month old car that has been driven off the lot? They claim it's a demo.... I claim BS. I wonder if Porsche are the only previous registered owner...

https://www.carsales.com.au/demo/details/Porsche-911-2016/OAG-AD-14669788

Well said,rules for owners and rules for Porsche dealers it will be on consignment for a client and its legal in ALL states except VICTORIA ????

I'd be shocked if any 911 R sell at that figure anymore. The exclusivity of 'the last manual' has been broken, so why exactly is it worth 450 over list? Amazing car and will definitely be collectible down the track but double list seems stupid in light of recent developments.

Rumour is the new RS has a chance of a manual box too. That won't help values in the mid-term.

Wonder if the rumoured Cayman RS will be similar scenario with flippers? 

I don't read about the new cars at all, so I have no idea whether its true or not re the RS, yet was told today they are the reason some GT4's are on the market so soon. There's 3 here in SA including the 2 that I know of at Richmonds

Wonder if the rumoured Cayman RS will be similar scenario with flippers? 

I don't read about the new cars at all, so I have no idea whether its true or not re the RS, yet was told today they are the reason some GT4's are on the market so soon. There's 3 here in SA including the 2 that I know of at Richmonds

Almost certainly - the rumour is it will be priced in GT3 territory and come with a detuned 4.0 from the new GT3 circa 450+hp. I assume that means we'll see the same transmission too.

If so you can bet that car becomes major hot property.

on one hand it's a free market so I'm not sure manufacturers trying to manipulate it will help (won't dealers just order the cars themselves then sell to a valued customer?)
on the other hand it might stop the values of new cars being so much over sticker. Be interesting to see if it works

Rob Spaghetti made some good points - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsDJ-4MVfTM

weird that it doesn't have steering wheel volume/music controls!

No chance they were real bids... 

Here's hoping...  Over $100k? sure, i can accept that. $180k pushing it for mine. What do you think it is likely worth? Recalling the 930 pricing matrix from a few pages back, where does it fit if it met unicorn quality as a genuine low miles / mint condition LHD?

Here's hoping...  Over $100k? sure, i can accept that. $180k pushing it for mine. What do you think it is likely worth? Recalling the 930 pricing matrix from a few pages back, where does it fit if it met unicorn quality as a genuine low miles / mint condition LHD?

Not a hope it sold. First time up on Ebay and would have been lucky for bids to reach 75% of it's eventual value (usual Ebay scenario with vehicles) ... so someone promised to pay $180K huh? No mention of service books/history besides some Japanese papers, no mention of original mileage prior to odo change, no PPI ..... for an immediate unhassled sale? worth about $100 -110 if it's a good one! Excellent with everything stacking up and get just the right buyer - $130 tops, unless an idiot pays way over tops at $140 - 150. No one's paying $180 for that, unless he/she is the sellers Unicorn:lol:

Rob Spaghetti made some good points - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsDJ-4MVfTM

Houses should only be bought to live in and enjoy, not as investments....

Porsche are a great success due to the uber-capitalist free market system which it so despises due to the flippers.  I love it.

So my thinking is for 996TT series 11 / 996 GT3 owners  who had that 997 itch but couldn't make it happen are now perhaps in a good space to revisit that itch again given current market signals in terms of a bit of a run on 996's (even the odd 996GT2's have d a decent run despite 100k drops in asking prices from those heady days , bit like the 964 tt for 599k that hit my inbox yesterday)  and 997's appearing to pull back.

I'm far from an expert on the GT3 and turbo market however I'm not sure I agree that there is less variation in the GT3 market than the turbo market. I would suggest that more GT3 have been tracked and probably crashed. If I purchased a GT3 my fear would be that I'd just bought the GT3 that 'everyone' knew was a once nothing more than a crumpled metal ball.  This risk has increased as the GT3 have risen in value.  I do agree that turbos were more likely purchased by owners who were possibly less enthusiastic about their cars, who might let a number of small things fail. Turbos are also more complicated and therefore more expensive when something breaks... not that I'm saying a GT3 would be a cheap fix. Turbos are also more likely to have been modified by a different kind of enthusiast.

I do agree that the 997 turbos/ GT3s are possibly drifting into the trade up category of the typical 996 owner. It would be interesting to know what the typical 996 turbo or GT3 owner moves onto? Do they go with a  newer model of what they own, or do they do something different? I'm quite a 996 fan however spending a little bit more to go with a 997 does make some sense. 

What you didn't touch on is whether the commodisation of turbo is the 911 range will reduce the appeal of older 911 turbos? Are GT3 values above turbo value driven by the fact NA Porsche cars are now rare in new models? 

Also see a nice 996 turbo appeared for sale recently.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4780251?_ga=2.115648390.1402327784.1496558098-1312836940.1496042508

turbo.png

Edited by bear924
added pic

I'm far from an expert on the GT3 and turbo market however I'm not sure I agree that there is less variation in the GT3 market than the turbo market. I would suggest that more GT3 have been tracked and probably crashed. If I purchased a GT3 my fear would be that I'd just bought the GT3 that 'everyone' knew was a once nothing more than a crumpled metal ball.  This risk has increased as the GT3 have risen in value.  I do agree that turbos were more likely purchased by owners who were possibly less enthusiastic about their cars, who might let a number of small things fail. Turbos are also more complicated and therefore more expensive when something breaks... not that I'm saying a GT3 would be a cheap fix. Turbos are also more likely to have been modified by a different kind of enthusiast.

I do agree that the 997 turbos/ GT3s are possibly drifting into the trade up category of the typical 996 owner. It would be interesting to know what the typical 996 turbo or GT3 owner moves onto? Do they go with a  newer model of what they own, or do they do something different? I'm quite a 996 fan however spending a little bit more to go with a 997 does make some sense. 

What you didn't touch on is whether the commodisation of turbo is the 911 range will reduce the appeal of older 911 turbos? Are GT3 values above turbo value driven by the fact NA Porsche cars are now rare in new models? 

Also see a nice 996 turbo appeared for sale recently.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4780251?_ga=2.115648390.1402327784.1496558098-1312836940.1496042508

GT3 eats  the Turbo though , I think they are all very special cars … my personal experience prior to the Real Estate milionaires and the the bubble was that there were few that would stump up the 250k+ for these cars.. I paid something like 247+ for the 993 in 96.. so you will find most of these cars would have been pampered for a lot of their life , when you consider what 250k meant then, a house on the harbour was 750..and you could buy a unit in the city for 250,  a turbo 250-320 was a big deal.

Possibly not so much today?

I have driven the 996TT and the 997TT again both great cars .. but a 997 really is quite a leap forward in general drive/comfort over a 996.  I cant comment on the 996/997 GT3 compare.

You do have to say this unless you have Aquaphobia.. these cars offer a lot of bang for the buck over the A/C cars  and you can squeeze all of the power of a standard car and mild tune regularly onto the road. Lots of reasons why they would appeal.

went from $75k to $180k in one bid