Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

It was advertised on Facetube a few days ago, from memory the dreadful exclamation mark text style was for offers over $80 or 90k. Seems the expectation may have dropped.

Cheaper than some of the optimistically priced 996's out there. 

There is an article in the latest GT Porsche mag comparing 996.2 with 997.1 as (in the UK) these cars are now over lapping in price as the 996s continue to rise, same happening here....?

There is an article in the latest GT Porsche mag comparing 996.2 with 997.1 as (in the UK) these cars are now over lapping in price as the 996s continue to rise, same happening here....?

There seems to be a bit of overlap in ASKING prices, but I'm not sure how many of these $80k+ 996's are actually selling for anything like that price. Few if any I suspect. 

There seems to be a bit of overlap in ASKING prices, but I'm not sure how many of these $80k+ 996's are actually selling for anything like that price. Few if any I suspect. 

True, but it is only a matter of time until the older model passes the newer in value. It has happened to every model before it.

True, but it is only a matter of time until the older model passes the newer in value. It has happened to every model before it.

The million dollar question for 996 owners!  How long before they - or will they - appreciate to same degree as their air-cooled cousins. The jury is out... 

I can't see it happening to the same level as air cooled cars. The only reason 996's (and every other model of earlier Porsche) have escalated in price, is because sellers know most people really want an earlier 911, but can't afford/justify spending $100k on a nice old car. Look at half the adverts saying 'Why pay a lot of money for an old car when you can have this for a fraction of the price' blah blah blah. $40 grand or something like that is what I believe is reasonable for a basic 996, yet whether one likes it or not, the rumoured IMS problem (and the headlights to some) is always going to keep people from paying an exorbitant amount for a 996. I could have bought a mint gun grey manual 996 with 75k on the clock for $45k a year ago, and I seriously considered it, yet I listened to most Porsche enthusiasts saying how ugly the headlights are, and that they're the Porsche bastard child. A similar car now I've seen at$70k. What the? 

Shame, as that 996 was a nice car

I can't see it happening to the same level as air cooled cars. The only reason 996's (and every other model of earlier Porsche) have escalated in price, is because sellers know most people really want an earlier 911, but can't afford/justify spending $100k on a nice old car. Look at half the adverts saying 'Why pay a lot of money for an old car when you can have this for a fraction of the price' blah blah blah. $40 grand or something like that is what I believe is reasonable for a basic 996, yet whether one likes it or not, the rumoured IMS problem (and the headlights to some) is always going to keep people from paying an exorbitant amount for a 996. I could have bought a mint gun grey manual 996 with 75k on the clock for $45k a year ago, and I seriously considered it, yet I listened to most Porsche enthusiasts saying how ugly the headlights are, and that they're the Porsche bastard child. A similar car now I've seen at$70k. What the? 

Shame, as that 996 was IS a nice car

You have contradicted your own argument there Lee, $45k car a year ago is now $70k.... same things being said many times before "how can that car be worth that" and then it is (insert any front engine car or the 914... et al)! Sure you will most likely always get the lesser ones, condition wise, cheaper, but the good ones will always rise, it is happening, not quickly (well 45 to 70 is!) but it is.... Remember someone once paid $200k +/- for these cars so there is some love out there for them.

Not all Porsche enthusiasts are air cooled enthusiasts! :)

Edited by ANF

You have contradicted your own argument there Lee, $45k car a year ago is now $70k.... same things being said many times before "how can that car be worth that" and then it is (insert any front engine car or the 914... et al)! Sure you will most likely always get the lesser ones, condition wise, cheaper, but the good ones will always rise, it is happening, not quickly (well 45 to 70 is!) but it is.... Remember someone once paid $200k +/- for these cars so there is some love out there for them.

Not all Porsche enthusiasts are air cooled enthusiasts! :)

Point taken

How can a car, any car, jump 30 grand in a year? They're not overly popular stylistically and/or mechanically, so what makes them worthy of such a huge price increase? It's exactly the same as what happened to 924, 944 and 928 price rises.

Sorry, and this is posted with a smiley face :) and without any malice or whatever to whoever and what they drive, as we all love the Porsche marque in some way, shape or form, yet you can't go past the fact that air cooled 911's are the pinnacle for a huge percentage of Porsche enthusiasts. I like 914's, 924's, 944's and 928's, though I've never strived to do whatever I can to buy one. A 911 I have and did (with a lot of luck I may add). I know people with 996's, 997's, Caymans, 944's etc, and all they want is an air cooled 911 but can't afford, or justify the prices commanded. Sounds like that is what is gradually happening to 996's. Sad really

Point taken

How can a car, any car, jump 30 grand in a year? They're not overly popular stylistically and/or mechanically, so what makes them worthy of such a huge price increase? It's exactly the same as what happened to 924, 944 and 928 price rises.

Sorry, and this is posted with a smiley face :) and without any malice or whatever to whoever and what they drive, as we all love the Porsche marque in some way, shape or form, yet you can't go past the fact that air cooled 911's are the pinnacle for a huge percentage of Porsche enthusiasts. I like 914's, 924's, 944's and 928's, though I've never strived to do whatever I can to buy one. A 911 I have and did (with a lot of luck I may add). I know people with 996's, 997's, Caymans, 944's etc, and all they want is an air cooled 911 but can't afford, or justify the prices commanded. Sounds like that is what is gradually happening to 996's. Sad really

Why is it sad? In isolation the 996 is a great car, it is just that the A/C cars have a lot of history (they went for soooooo long) behind them, you can't fight that or ignore it, but as time goes on this will lesson over the new models. Most of the time (not always but most) the cars we buy now are the cars we lusted after in our youth, this has to keep shifting as the youth get older :)

No offence taken Lee, but I am one of the minority where I would take a 996 over a pre 89 911 - 964 and 993 may be a different story... I will let you know when such funds become available where I have that choice  :D

On the other hand GT3s are going gang busters in price... still a 996.... I still think the 996 will continue to rise and in turn the 997 will and so forth... history says so.

Both good looking cars and at the peak of NA 911 of the type but $225k vs $75k.....

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2003/OAG-AD-14657671/?Cr=3

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1997/SSE-AD-3914404/?Cr=1

Edited by ANF

Elaborating on Lee's points. I don't think the average price of a 996 Carrera's will ever be more than the 997 Carrera's. Even though they are the first of the watercooled, I think they stray too far from the 911 path than the others, mainly in the looks. 

GT3's may be a different story, as from what I understand the 996 GT3 is much different experience to a 997 GT3.

as from what I understand the 996 GT3 is much different experience to a 997 GT3.

Not a world of difference, but the 996 GT3 is as close as the water cooled experience will get to the air cooled one. 

The 997 GT3 is THE better car in an overall package, it looks better, it has more HP, its faster, it rides better on the road with is PASM, but the 996 GT3 is the better driving experience. 

Elaborating on Lee's points. I don't think the average price of a 996 Carrera's will ever be more than the 997 Carrera's. Even though they are the first of the watercooled, I think they stray too far from the 911 path than the others, mainly in the looks. 

GT3's may be a different story, as from what I understand the 996 GT3 is much different experience to a 997 GT3.

996 standard car vs 997 totally different experiences 

GT3 996 Fast and raw - 997 GT3 Faster and refined …  Controversial but I feel true. @LeeM dont worry buddy , im with ya, we can hang in the naughty corner together .. 

All come complete with some what plasticy interiors

I somehow just dont think you can go past a whole generation of engineering when there is little price differential. 

Lets not mention the other value propositions in the market..  the C word .." CAYMAN"    

A/C cars have somewhat got a lot of hot air behind them compared to comse of these cars

I think the AC cars will start to out-price a lot of punters, who will turn to the WC cars. Scarcity will also come into play down the track, the harder to find a clean 996/997 the more the prices will drive up. I keep hoping for the same to happen with the 986, it's exactly the same argument as the 996 except obviously the 986 has a lot of stigma attached to it. Just need a few more careless yahoos to write off their cars, thin the herd, and bing bada boom the 986 might actually appreciate.

Let me dream lads. Don't burst my bubble.

Edited by grantmr

6 months into 2017 it's pretty clear that prices of all porsches are falling. Can't think of a single example, aircooled or watercooled that is worth more than a year ago. Many of these values were assumed and now tested in the market place, aren't getting the prices. Seems likely all high volumes models will keep falling so a good time to buy, but no need to rush

Put me in the minority. I've almost no interest in owning an air cooled porsche (although i'd own a SC for the nostalgia of it). I didn't buy a 997 because i couldn't afford an A/C car, i just see little value in doing so. Everyone is different.

On that note: If 996's are ever worth more than 997s you just got your price signal fellas - go out and buy a 997 because they're a better car in just about every way (bar the 996 GT3 of course).

6 months into 2017 it's pretty clear that prices of all porsches are falling. Can't think of a single example, aircooled or watercooled that is worth more than a year ago. Many of these values were assumed and now tested in the market place, aren't getting the prices. Seems likely all high volumes models will keep falling so a good time to buy, but no need to rush

Thats a big call.   There will "all" ways be outliers (paying over or under the odds of what some think its worth with twelve months having past under the bridge). 

Excluding my obvious bias in being an owner and trying to be impartial and just looking at prices and having offered up opinions for those who seek it,  it would appear that manual series 2 996 turbo's with under 100k on the clock is the better car to have over a series 1.  In my mind they are are clearly worth more today than a year ago.   I'm just not seeing them come up for sale all too regularly.  Then if they do come up and your not unreasonable and just what an clean one than hasn't been messed with too much and the description match's the pictures and passes the one minute NQR car sales advertisement sniff test, that's another level of patience that one has to deal with and if frustrated, can see someone paying over the odds from a year ago.  That happened a couple of weeks ago if you are after a single example

I also don't see much price dropping in terms of a manual 997.1 tt import on what it would take to secure one, this year or last, rush or no rush.

To show my impartiality to 996's and biasedness towards 997's, as others have alluded to,  I'm in the camp if you can afford any 997 over a similar model 996 and contemplating one over the other, its the 997 all day everyday as I see it.  They are just a better all round package and reckon they will be sought in the future because of what I consider are their  timeless 911 lines for a watercooled version which links back to its aircooled roots.  Plus nice to have a wee bit more digital compared to totally analogue in 996's  in terms of PASM,  interior infotainment offerings, tranny smoothness, general mechanicals and more power.  Particularly if at some point in your journey you have to endure some form of traffic light to traffic light driving. As Symsy eloquently put it, a whole generation of P engineering / development  for the better has got to command at least some sort of pricing premium.

Put me in the minority. I've almost no interest in owning an air cooled porsche (although i'd own a SC for the nostalgia of it). I didn't buy a 997 because i couldn't afford an A/C car, i just see little value in doing so. Everyone is different

I whole heartedly agree there mate. You nailed it with 'nostalgia' and 'different'

I recently saw this standard 996 below that had been tarted up with ducktail etc, and I'd sell my SC in a heartbeat if it was up for sale and within my meagre budget. Sadly, I dare say I wouldn't have enough cash to buy it :(  I spoke to Spiller (Simon) about 996's, and he was of the same opinion as Hugh with them being a very 'raw' car to drive

20170430_085643.jpg

I was never a huge fan initially but I've grown to appreciate the 996. After now owning one, they are as bad ass as water cooled 911's get. ;)

I agree. 5 yrs ago I couldn't stand the sight of a 996, but now that I'm completely obsessed with every Porsche ever made, I want a 996. Preferably of the GT3 variety, but I think they look great