Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Any guess to the final bid or the likelihood of it being re-listed. :rolleyes:

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/LotDetails.aspx?smode=0&aid=6232&lid=1081917&pgn=1&pgs=100

Here is how it will play out

1/ The high bid will go through the roof at some point and get retracted again (rumor has it after being mentioned online)

2/ The auction will count down to the last few minutes....then a minute will be added...with no new bids in sight...this will rinse and repeat for over an hour

3/ The final price will quickly be removed with a very unhelpful "Not disclosed" banner

4/ Car will reappear at whatever dealer it came from, back on the lot

Had high hopes for this: https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2005/OAG-AD-14763997

I love these in white - guys selling on consignment, great wheels, wrong tail lights, overspray in the engine back, weird bolts in the back, feels like it's had a rear-end accident judging by the bodywork and paint not being right, then I drive it, clutch good, box good, brakes spongy, engine pulls hard, noisy knock in the back right over bumps, the guys like 'gee what's that?' - like he doesn't know it's  not right, no colour sticker under the bonnet, but tell him the price should have a 6 in front of it, he offers that the owner will take $72k, without even pausing..... then RMS vechicle check and it was built painted Black... 

Run? 

Hi AL911, if your going to pay that range for a 911, why don't you go to the "S" for not much more, and before you all freak out that it's an Auto I can categorically hand-on-heart tell you that a 997 Carrera S with Auto would have to be one of the best all round sub $100K Porsches I've ever driven, I very much doubt in competent hands there would be much difference between the Auto and the Manual....I've driven one for a week straight, in all conditions, including a spirited drive I really should be in jail for...they are a great car

Here is one, no affiliation

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2007-Porsche-911-Carrera-997-MY07-S-Grey-Automatic-5sp-A-Coupe/322538275852?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D777003%26algo%3DDISCL.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140117125611%26meid%3D48161744a167412f9472856392688340%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D10%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D182603089161

I'm far from an expert on the GT3 and turbo market however I'm not sure I agree that there is less variation in the GT3 market than the turbo market. I would suggest that more GT3 have been tracked and probably crashed. If I purchased a GT3 my fear would be that I'd just bought the GT3 that 'everyone' knew was a once nothing more than a crumpled metal ball.  This risk has increased as the GT3 have risen in value.  I do agree that turbos were more likely purchased by owners who were possibly less enthusiastic about their cars, who might let a number of small things fail. Turbos are also more complicated and therefore more expensive when something breaks... not that I'm saying a GT3 would be a cheap fix. Turbos are also more likely to have been modified by a different kind of enthusiast.

I do agree that the 997 turbos/ GT3s are possibly drifting into the trade up category of the typical 996 owner. It would be interesting to know what the typical 996 turbo or GT3 owner moves onto? Do they go with a  newer model of what they own, or do they do something different? I'm quite a 996 fan however spending a little bit more to go with a 997 does make some sense. 

What you didn't touch on is whether the commodisation of turbo is the 911 range will reduce the appeal of older 911 turbos? Are GT3 values above turbo value driven by the fact NA Porsche cars are now rare in new models? 

Also see a nice 996 turbo appeared for sale recently.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4780251?_ga=2.115648390.1402327784.1496558098-1312836940.1496042508

turbo.png

In terms of the commoditisation of the turbo didn't think at the time it was worthy of a comment.  i.e Aren't they only commoditising the hardware under the bonnet as opposed to the turbo badge (pissy K04 turbo's right???).  Eg Take your pick of a new twin turbo'd Carrera, even a Carerra S with PDK, numbers don't stack up against an  analogue 996tt some 15 years down the track and a fair bit behind any 997tt.  In terms of modding (wouldn't call it a mod),  it makes no sense to not tweak the 996TT or 997TT's ECU for chicken fee dollars just to make sure those new Twin turbo'd examples are put right back in their  not value for money box for some time to come.  

Looks like you answered indirectly the driving factor on 996 GT3's prices ,  Eg those 996gt3's that aren't track thrashed regularly or been written off  brings an element of supply and demand fundamentals into the equation for those after the iconic note from the high revving non aquaphobe flat six.

Re varaiability, I don't recall seeing a lot of tracked and crashed and revived NQR 996GT3's coming up for sale besides the yellow one that went at Auction and one import that I can recall that was cheaper than what I saw was a bit of a trend whereby circa 145k to 160k would get you close to getting into a decent one over the last twelve months.

Haven't seen a lot of seal grey 996tt's manual  around (my favourite colour), but that one  reminds me of the last one I sighted for sale when was looking that was in Tassie that went on carsales and gone in sixty seconds (a week)  for big asking dollars and came back from the dead not long after.  I thought the Tassie one with circa 5k on the clock less than the one in the ad and similiarly had no glovebox was expensive.  If I was a betting man, I would put money on  two seal greys within  5k km travelled from each other both up for grabs within 16 months and  both 2001 models are one in the same car.  NSW plates look pretty new.  I thought it was expensive back then.  Never the less, now two decent 996 tt manuals up for grabs this year.

You say its a nice 996 tt, but no comment on the other  seal grey one up for grabs for 30k less, a mere 2.5 times more km's plus a missing pedal and been on sale for a while if I recall correctly.  Bit of variability right there as I see it.

Edited by smit2100

Sold

Hopefully you bought it .. says a lot for cars at the right price ..with a little meat left on the bone for risk and or for the next owner to add some value or dealer to give it the once over and take it to a diffrent market.

Price it well it will sell , bubble price it , you will probably keep holiding it

Maybe they will start using four numbers in the models next year Jeff .. because for the life of me , I have been lost since 997 .. and the numbering 

Or maybe we just need to recognise the extra Zero added by most to the prices ranges.. ;)

In terms of the commoditisation of the turbo didn't think at the time it was worthy of a comment.  i.e Aren't they only commoditising the hardware under the bonnet as opposed to the turbo badge (pissy K04 turbo's right???).  Eg Take your pick of a new twin turbo'd Carrera, even a Carerra S with PDK, numbers don't stack up against an  analogue 996tt some 15 years down the track and a fair bit behind any 997tt.  In terms of modding (wouldn't call it a mod),  it makes no sense to not tweak the 996TT or 997TT's ECU for chicken fee dollars just to make sure those new Twin turbo'd examples are put right back in their  not value for money box for some time to come.  

Looks like you answered indirectly the driving factor on 996 GT3's prices ,  Eg those 996gt3's that aren't track thrashed regularly or been written off  brings an element of supply and demand fundamentals into the equation for those after the iconic note from the high revving non aquaphobe flat six.

Re varaiability, I don't recall seeing a lot of tracked and crashed and revived NQR 996GT3's coming up for sale besides the yellow one that went at Auction and one import that I can recall that was cheaper than what I saw was a bit of a trend whereby circa 145k to 160k would get you close to getting into a decent one over the last twelve months.

Haven't seen a lot of seal grey 996tt's manual  around (my favourite colour), but that one  reminds me of the last one I sighted for sale when was looking that was in Tassie that went on carsales and gone in sixty seconds (a week)  for big asking dollars and came back from the dead not long after.  I thought the Tassie one with circa 5k on the clock less than the one in the ad and similiarly had no glovebox was expensive.  If I was a betting man, I would put money on  two seal greys within  5k km travelled from each other both up for grabs within 16 months and  both 2001 models are one in the same car.  NSW plates look pretty new.  I thought it was expensive back then.  Never the less, now two decent 996 tt manuals up for grabs this year.

You say its a nice 996 tt, but no comment on the other  seal grey one up for grabs for 30k less, a mere 2.5 times more km's plus a missing pedal and been on sale for a while if I recall correctly.  Bit of variability right there as I see it.

My fear isn't that Porsche is commoditising the turbo name, more that they are commoditising the driving experience of a turbo charged sport car.  However as I say that, I'm aware in many ways the 996 turbo was the last of the more traditional turbo charged car. My understanding is that from the 997 the torque curve is much flatter due to the variable vanes on the turbos. So perhaps that will be the selling point for 996 turbo going forward.. the last of the traditional turbo charged sports cars. A few comparison links between the 996 turbo and 991.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjO9tGJNW-U

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/996-vs-991/

To me the million dollar question is whether Porsche enthusiast in 10 years time will want the last of the NA 911s as a way to enjoy the end of the NA era. I say that knowing that you can still purchase NA 911s, however NA is no longer the norm. Will the enthusiasts 10 year hence be keen to heal the wail of a NA engine at full song... or will the rocket ship boost of the 996 turbo hold appeal in a world of flat torque curves?

The non tracked GT3s only affect the supply and demand fundamentals if you can tell the good from the bad. In my mind, that holds true for the turbo as well. To me both car models are represented by a wide body of examples, the challenge is sorting the wheat from the chaff to establish what the fair value actually is. 

Presuming the seal grey 996 turbo owner purchased the car for driving as opposed to investment, it would be interesting to know why they are selling after 16 months and what (if anything) they are moving onto. I also wish the owner good luck with his sale, I will be watching progress with interest as I reflect on the 996 market place.

the turbo brand is dead.

Turbo is now all about efficiency. Efficiency is not the first word that comes to mind driving the 76...but fun is.

You could argue that the 997tt was the last , but having owned one, they honestly were the start of the end of the driving experience at 'reasonable speeds.' They are insanely fast, and easy to drive fast, but you never really get to enjoy them at their potential. Drove mine back to  back with a 996 gt3 last year. One is a daily, one is hard as nails. I respect the GT3 but have no interest in climbing into  a race car everyday. I recon the 996tt would have a certain old school charm. Not insanely fast, but good enough. 

Us turbo owners are gentlemen racers (who occasionally like to throw rocks). But we love a cruise, and couldn't give a stuff about the redline...cos we've got BOOST!

RIP the Turbo. 

Almost certainly - the rumour is it will be priced in GT3 territory and come with a detuned 4.0 from the new GT3 circa 450+hp. I assume that means we'll see the same transmission too.

If so you can bet that car becomes major hot property.

When they finally kill off the 911 they can resurrect the 928 and get to compete toe to toe with AMG etc

When they finally kill off the 911 they can resurrect the 928 and get to compete toe to toe with AMG etc

AMG, a "sporty" luxury car but far from what I would consider a "sports car". I think your undervaluing the 928 making such a comparison ;)

not according to smitty ;) 

Smitty has been spending too much time with DJM shotgun in a certain GT2! It skews the perception of fast.............

Here is how it will play out

1/ The high bid will go through the roof at some point and get retracted again (rumor has it after being mentioned online)

2/ The auction will count down to the last few minutes....then a minute will be added...with no new bids in sight...this will rinse and repeat for over an hour

3/ The final price will quickly be removed with a very unhelpful "Not disclosed" banner

4/ Car will reappear at whatever dealer it came from, back on the lot

Hi AL911, if your going to pay that range for a 911, why don't you go to the "S" for not much more, and before you all freak out that it's an Auto I can categorically hand-on-heart tell you that a 997 Carrera S with Auto would have to be one of the best all round sub $100K Porsches I've ever driven, I very much doubt in competent hands there would be much difference between the Auto and the Manual....I've driven one for a week straight, in all conditions, including a spirited drive I really should be in jail for...they are a great car

Here is one, no affiliation

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2007-Porsche-911-Carrera-997-MY07-S-Grey-Automatic-5sp-A-Coupe/322538275852?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D777003%26algo%3DDISCL.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140117125611%26meid%3D48161744a167412f9472856392688340%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D10%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D182603089161

I dunno mate, @Robert930 it does feel a bit unnatural to not go a manual. . @symsy I hear ya!

I hear ya! At least the wife could drive it ("noooooooooo....") ?

Gents - a question for the long hood experts.

73.5T - is this the unloved bastard child of the longhoods, or is the 2.4L CIS system well regarded?  Is it worth less or more than a 73T with MFI? 

I know I've asked similar questions re the 74/75 CIS vs MFI. Just keen to specifically know your thoughts on the last of the long hoods. 

Cheers

Jono

996TT is a properly quick car! 

I still remember my first "proper" drive in the GT2, all 580+HP, chasing JimTT in his lightly tuned 996TT in the wet through Reefton spur.  It was PROPERLY fast.  He had AWD and TC/SC, I had neither and I was pedalling bloody hard to keep up (and keep it on the road).  That drive was the beginning of the end of my GT2 ownership, I survived but that was on the ragged edge and a bit silly in hindsight.  996TT is an al weather weapon capable of keeping with most current fast cars.