Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

I don’t think you could get paint for $30k really, let alone any panel work such as RSR guards. Top end motor rebuild and all of the nice go fast options soon add up. Wheels, suspension, new interior, seats and so the list builds.

7 minutes ago, Turra said:

I don’t think you could get paint for $30k really, let alone any panel work such as RSR guards. Top end motor rebuild and all of the nice go fast options soon add up. Wheels, suspension, new interior, seats and so the list builds.

You need to shop around a bit I think 

12 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Not a Porsche but check this out.  The movie The Castle comes to mind.  "Tell him he's dreamin'"

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3029274770519428

if it really was owned by David Brown and you have paperwork, maybe it will sell for stupid money - an Arab and his money are easily parted

39 minutes ago, Turra said:

The green car had no go fast options when I looked at it (2014) - motor was stock and had not been rebuilt, the interior wasn't great - cheap seats and average carpet/door trims. She was more of a looker than anything else 

1 hour ago, Ozvino said:

if it really was owned by David Brown and you have paperwork, maybe it will sell for stupid money - an Arab and his money are easily parted

The green car had no go fast options when I looked at it (2014) - motor was stock and had not been rebuilt, the interior wasn't great - cheap seats and average carpet/door trims. She was more of a looker than anything else 

They were all owned by DB and they were all saved in his bankruptcy arrangements , a few times ... I hope someone’s got deep pockets probably 300 plus , if u think Porsche work ain’t cheap then try twice that for Aston tax 

If you worry about rust then imagine the worst , they nearly all need chassis repairs and that’s 30-50 for starters 

As for backdates/hotties , I have budgeted quite a few times on this 

I am still infact sitting on a pile of stuff and holding and have a black book of parts , but I’m still once bitten twice shy now . I ripped up 30k in losses on one of those Hotrod journeys only last year and I thought I knew my way around the traps 

Buying a GT3 also tainted my perspective on true bang for buck , by any measure they are better than any back date I have driven and I have driven heaps 

So for budgets .. my last back of the beer mat tally up 

3.8 or good 3.6 40-50k

ITB /PMO induction 10-15k

Exhaust 3-5k

G51 or G50 15-25k or a tasty 915 10-15k

Suspension 7-10k

Electrics 2-3 Rewire

Interior 10-15 Carpets and Seats , doortrim

Paint 15 k

Bodywork 10-15k Metalwork , repairs , tunnel mods 

Brakes Boxster ,930, Bigreds 5-7k 

Misc bits 15k 

Shell 30-40 although there are the occasional 25k candidates ...and a 964 chassis is much better than the Gseries but they are drug money and overpriced 

So what they worth , I guess whatever you wanna spend ... I can tell you from experience most people are afraid to buy a Hotrod car , the talk it big but are mostly conservative 

That leaves you playing with yourself in your own fantasy 😊

Times change and working from imported and damage cars and salvaged parts is rare and very different to getting it built , just cos u pay some fool 100-200 an hour to do a $30 mechanics job don’t mean your values are that high , it just mean you overplayed 

I think personally is knowing the genesis of the build and it’s parts and the context in which it’s built is important , but seriously many don’t realise polishing/modding  a turd most are still turds when finished albeit leather interiored , shiny ones  

1 hour ago, Turra said:

Zag quoted me $25 to 45k just to repaint a stock g series coupe with no extra bits. No doubt it could be done cheaper elsewhere but I guess quality varies. 

22 minutes ago, Proud Member said:

Zag quoted me $25 to 45k just to repaint a stock g series coupe with no extra bits. No doubt it could be done cheaper elsewhere but I guess quality varies. 

Its ridiculous anyone can justify these prices. I just got a car resprayed and bodykit adjusted (putty, shaped etc)  (not a porsche) windows and doors off, not engine bay for $5k cash. The quality is not bad and I'm sure ZAG does exceptional work but come on.

33 minutes ago, reggiegums said:

Its ridiculous anyone can justify these prices. I just got a car resprayed and bodykit adjusted (putty, shaped etc)  (not a porsche) windows and doors off, not engine bay for $5k cash. The quality is not bad and I'm sure ZAG does exceptional work but come on.

did you do the job yourself or was the painter bogger working for free?

$5k gets you a very basic job if you are very lucky. Everything is justifiable depending what you want. The quality is not bad doesnt mean its any good. For $5k most Porsche owners would probably look at it and say it was absolute shite.

2 hours ago, Proud Member said:

25-45k is a piss-take

Is the paint mixed with Unicorn pheromones?

6K to paint the 76 including the wheels (bare metal plus replacement of the bonnet channel)

0U5A0362-1.jpg

where are these mexicans you hire to do a full bare metal respray including re anodising of the wheels? We want to use them.

I have seen whats needed for a full bare metal respray and the issues you get once its down to bare metal. There could be a thousand hours to make it perfect. Your guy is literally working for 4 dollars an hour. Its just not economical to even open the doors of a panel shop for that

6 minutes ago, Buchanan Automotive said:

where are these mexicans you hire to do a full bare metal respray including re anodising of the wheels? We want to use them.

I have seen whats needed for a full bare metal respray and the issues you get once its down to bare metal. There could be a thousand hours to make it perfect. Your guy is literally working for 4 dollars an hour. Its just not economical to even open the doors of a panel shop for that

Don’t worry ur one of the good guys we are not gonna throw u peanuts 

Gotta love these concepts , nut and bolt resto , bare metal , is that with or without removing the rust 

Prep is always where the money is 

2k sand blast 

2k good epoxy/POR

3k for primer and paint for the car 

Sprayer 2-3k

Polish and reassembly 50 hrs 2.5k 

sounds more reasonable 

What if i hire i mexican?

your dead spot on, its all about whats found once you take the paint off. Never seen a Porsche that didn't need body prep once it was naked. add in 30+ years of bog and she"ll be right mate = more money out of the current owners pocket to get it right. But then again, getting it right to me may be over the top to someone who just wants paint on their car. each to their own i guess. Its truely limitless

42 minutes ago, Buchanan Automotive said:

The Panel Beater/ Painter is an immediated member of my family so there was a little discount.

To be completely honest the previous paint work was done by Mexican's probably for $300 in the US of A so removing the paint was minimal effort with a scraper!

Body was near perfect with only a few shopping trolley dings, only rust was the water channel under the windscreen.

There was one of my brothers "Trade mark" runs on it but thats what 6K gets you.

I'm sure the new owner of the car could not tell if the paint cost 6k or 45K

IMG_2457.JPG

34 minutes ago, Stepo said:

I’d be surprised if it was still listed tomorrow 👍

It's funny ... I remember those photos from quite a few years ago when it was listed and he wanted more than everything else was listed for ... it sat unsold for months and months and months and even more months ... now it's less than everything else (assuming it's the same seller) ..

Funny how it's all changed ... 😅

29 minutes ago, luzzo said:

I see there is quite some love for this.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm struggling with the Gold  :Confused02:

I struggle with the interior but love the colour . There was one similar here earlier this year same colour with chocolate leather interior which looked sweet 

45 minutes ago, luzzo said:

I see there is quite some love for this.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm struggling with the Gold  :Confused02:

This is gold sunshine 

IMG_0077.jpeg

my old T (now in WA) with first owners Palm Springs  circa 1973

56 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

It had the same issue all those years ago ... not to mention it was priced $20k more than anything else ... 😅

So, given the history, it will be interesting to see if todays market treats it the same way 😮