Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

16 minutes ago, 901er said:

Cause #bastardised#heavilymolestered

I’m up to my 5th Porsche.  

Bought 4 of the 5 sight unseen based on photos and discussions. I have been happy each time but usually get bored after 2-3 years, so move them on for something different.

How can you tell If they have been molested or bastardised from a distance!

13 minutes ago, Car tart said:

I’m up to my 5th Porsche.  

Bought 4 of the 5 sight unseen based on photos and discussions. I have been happy each time but usually get bored after 2-3 years, so move them on for something different.

How can you tell If they have been molested or bastardised from a distance!

Door trims, wheels, parcel shelf and  tail are the first signs. Obviously converted to RHD given the sugary scoops / US bumpers.....

What models have you owned? 

18 minutes ago, Car tart said:

usually get bored after 2-3 years, so move them on for something different.

Thats a life time for me i get bored after 6 months of ownership (to much choice out there)

This looks ok https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1983-porsche-911-sc-manual/SSE-AD-4764548/?Cr=17

Apparently Bernie is a bit of a douche I read somewhere and his car yard is known  For broken promises and screwing peoples dreams. I can’t remember exactly why I know that but have heard it before. Go figure

1 hour ago, James P said:

That has been listed quite a long time. A year or even two! Fluctuating price high $50K to its current price just under $50K.

Interesting they put back the colour change into the description as they had removed it a while ago.

2 hours ago, Car tart said:

Why hasn’t this nice little import sold?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/174033174899

2 hours ago, 901er said:

Cause #bastardised#heavilymolestered

Have looked at that little Targa with some level of interest several times. Have even threatened to go look at it once or twice. 

I know nothing about Bernie, but the Ad and the warehouse do give off the stink of 'used car salesman'.

All caps..biggest turn off for me every.  Maybe that type of thing works on some people?

Anyway, trying sleight of hand 'aust rhd tag complianced' or whatever - all has no meaning.  Clearly it's RHD. It's in Australia and registered, so therefore it must have compliance.  Word salad to try and convince people it is an Australian Delivered car.  Why not just say what it is? 

I like the wing though, assuming it's a genuine one.

6 hours ago, luzzo said:

Have looked at that little Targa with some level of interest several times. Have even threatened to go look at it once or twice. 

I know nothing about Bernie, but the Ad and the warehouse do give off the stink of 'used car salesman'.

Pretty sure a couple of guys looked at it last year, and came back with negative comments about both the car and the seller.

Ebay? Really? 😅

13 hours ago, 901er said:

Door trims, wheels, parcel shelf and  tail are the first signs. Obviously converted to RHD given the sugary scoops / US bumpers.....

What models have you owned? 

Don’t judge me as I love orphans!

i think the 996 turbo was the best Breakthrough looking (Big) Porsche and have a soft spot for 996s.

77 Carrera 3.0 manual

996 C2

996 Millennium 

996 C2 again (for charity)

currently 991.2 C4S Targa PDK

this is some of the the cars I have owned over the last 10 years.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/votano/albums

13 hours ago, James P said:

Thats a life time for me i get bored after 6 months of ownership (to much choice out there)

This looks ok https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1983-porsche-911-sc-manual/SSE-AD-4764548/?Cr=17

Been for sale for a long time, i rang about it once and i didn't like the story he was trying to make up to me on the phone, that was maybe 2 years ago, has anyone actually looked at it?

Maybe check and see if Dave Brennan from Nuremberg Mechanical has seen it. Has been there as long as maybe 4 years and the yard is apparently not very well regarded. He may have seen it. Worth something for parts at worst but might be ok if bought well <40

http://www.berniesmithclassiccars.com.au/for-sale/
Someone should go and check out his collection for the hell of it. Looks like a worthwhile trip. Check out his site

45 minutes ago, Turra said:

Maybe check and see if Dave Brennan from Nuremberg Mechanical has seen it. Has been there as long as maybe 4 years and the yard is apparently not very well regarded. He may have seen it. Worth something for parts at worst but might be ok if bought well <40

http://www.berniesmithclassiccars.com.au/for-sale/
Someone should go and check out his collection for the hell of it. Looks like a worthwhile trip. Check out his site

Not so much a collection. He’s a used car dealer. With a dealers license, been advertising for years. It doesn’t seem too bad for a sub 50k rhd converted car. It’s the way he advertises that turns  people off. Why not say rust free USA import,  engineered to Australian RHD. Sounds nicer, tells the story. Unless it’s not true.

My theory is that you can only full road register in Queensland as engineering papers are only valid in the state of “license” of the engineer and that’s why he’s pushing the club rego line. If a vehicle is de registered then it has to have new engineering papers in NSW unless the old papers were either signed by a nsw engineer or noted on a previous  nsw registration. This maybe the same in Vic.
Also when you sell a vehicle with no registration there is no statutory warranty that the vehicle is fit for road use.

Edited by Car tart

I was looking at his pictures mainly. Looks like a collection and says he does cars for movies etc which is plausible. Considering the ad and lack of clarity, as well as the dubious sounding history, I would presume this car has been in a very serious crash and may have even been rebuilt from 2 wrecks. If you take this position at the outset you would find it difficult to a)buy this car or b) offer >$30k to part it out. Am I being too cautious? 🙂

5 hours ago, Turra said:

I was looking at his pictures mainly. Looks like a collection and says he does cars for movies etc which is plausible. Considering the ad and lack of clarity, as well as the dubious sounding history, I would presume this car has been in a very serious crash and may have even been rebuilt from 2 wrecks. If you take this position at the outset you would find it difficult to a)buy this car or b) offer >$30k to part it out. Am I being too cautious? 🙂

He did cars for a tv show many years ago when he was in Albert Park. I’m guessing he’s riding on those coattails still! His cars have never been great, go in with very wide open eyes

19 hours ago, luzzo said:

I went and looked at it 18 months ago it’s rough and certainly needs a lot of tlc. It’s at the yard but gives a story of it being his best mates and he needed to move it on as the new bride wanted a house, certainly price didn’t dictate quick sale at the time. Might be that a cheeky lowball could motivate them as there is no documentation or history with the car. Factor in some work.

4 hours ago, tomo said:

Spend $5 and get a PPSR report, It will take out the guess  work :)

A PPSR only tells you

has the car been stolen ever.

is there money owing on the car

is the vin or engine number reported on WOVR.

And nothing else.

In most states, if the Porsche contained a Correct unstolen vin plate,  a rusty old Datsun 120y, two cans of Heinz tomato soup held together by 6 nails,  12 Cable ties, 2 rolls of duct tape and a piece of Wrigleys spearmint Chewy, without any of the three above features being a problem. 
The PPSR would not note it. (See below, for details of the NSW PPSR)

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/check-personal-property-securities-register

This information is given to you by the dealer in the purchase contract in most states.

1 hour ago, Car tart said:

In most states, if the Porsche contained a Correct unstolen vin plate,  a rusty old Datsun 120y, two cans of Heinz tomato soup held together by 6 nails,  12 Cable ties, 2 rolls of duct tape and a piece of Wrigleys spearmint Chewy, without any of the three above features being a problem. 

This all seems ok - Duct tape has held race cars together till the finish line.   But if they use Juicy Fruit, that would be the end for me...!

1 hour ago, Car tart said:

A PPSR only tells you

has the car been stolen ever.

is there money owing on the car

is the vin or engine number reported on WOVR.

And nothing else.

The PPSR would not note it. (See below, for details of the NSW PPSR)

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/check-personal-property-securities-register

This information is given to you by the dealer in the purchase contract in most states.

I was referring to its rego prospects in other states, If is a stat W/O its car parts all over Aust,  If  a repairable W/O it can be registered in most states . It also gives you a report on the structural damage  to the car if a Wovr and the tape and nails should give you a hint that the panel beater was not the best.

On 08/03/2019 at 15:07, LeeM said:

@Tips

Big question without many details there mate.

Depends how good of a backdate it is really. If the car is Oz delivered matching numbers etc, and everything is done well, $100-110kish. I know of a fully backdated car with glass front and rear guards, hood, decklid, nicely done overall with a good engine (basically a race car that cost $200k to build) sold for $145k pretty easily through a dealer. And trust me when I say that car was NOT perfect at all with hardly any panel lining up correctly/twisted, wavy panels/hood etc yet it did look bloody good from 10 feet and had a lot of good parts on it

Converted backdates are another level and probably the best option, as from what I've seen and heard about, they're probably worth around the same money as a stock imported/converted car. Infact most people I speak to say they would prefer one backdated for similar money. 

Mine is a factory RHD Hong Kong import that as you probably know I backdated myself originally with fiberglass bits on the front, yet one side has been repaired very well with steel front signal boxes and good paint after my little off (no structural damage, just panels), and the other side will be done this year some time hopefully. I've been offered $65k as it is, or $75-80k if I have the other side done. I have the original carpet which is ok, but others would probably want a new set. Anyone who has driven it say it drives very nice and feels sorted, has great torque and everything works as it should (except the indicator lights on the dash...that's just weird!). With all due respect to the owners of other cars I've driven, mine still feels the best. 

Backdates are a real hard one to price for the individual, because one mans/womans/transgenders idea of a good car always differs. If you just want a weekender to play with, I personally think why buy something that has perfect panel gaps and everything else is perfect when there are cars available that need some TLC and you don't have to worry about getting scratched or dinged. That black one on Gumtree for $46k sounded like a bargain, yet now a PFA member has looked at it up close, it sounds like it's going to be a money pit.

If you found a decent SC for reasonable money, you could probably backdate it for under $10k if you don't need an immaculate paint job and source the parts yourself. Front and rear bumpers $1600AU. Front steel signal boxes $800-1000AU (a bloody rip off) and front lenses etc add $500ish. My total parts cost me total $1700 (using fiberglass signal bezels which are cheap s..t) doing it myself, so all you'd need is someone to weld on the signal boxes and then it's just paint and mucking around. Anymore than $10k anf you're getting ripped off.

Feel free to message me anytime if you need any advice

Hello,

Can you tell me where you got you back date lights and rear bar from please. 

5 hours ago, Spotta said:

Hello,

Can you tell me where you got you back date lights and rear bar from please. 

Rear bar is fibreglass RSR from Buik Motorworks (old stock) and tailights are stamdard SC