Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

1 hour ago, Proud Member said:

Zag quoted me 150k for viper green car based on left to right imported 915 3.2 donor car. They are mega busy and wouldn’t deliver until April 2021. 

For this one I’d offer 130k with the expectation that it’ll need some fettling 

$150k??? To do a conversion and backdate? 😯 That's including the donor car yeah? If not, that's taking the piss.

Depends what you want and how fussy you are mate, though for $130k you shouldn't have to touch it. 

If it was for sale (it isn't), my '78 backdate (Hong Kong factory rhd matching numbers) would be in the $60-70k range going by offers I've received recently. Quoted $5k to finish off the left side bodywork (aka repair my dodgy installation and bog job) and me stop being lazy and spend a week or two cleaning it up, you'd have a decent car. Perfect it is not and people like it how it is.

If it's just the longhood look you're after, buy a car that needs cleaning up, find a shop that won't rip you off, buy the parts yourself (it's only front and rear bumpers, hood, front indicator bezels and lenses and some rubber seals) and backdate it.

As someone who is currently having a backdate built by zag, I am particularly interested in having a car that is pretty much rebuilt, beautifully painted and drives like it might have when new. (Faster, quieter, softer as a daily) Could you do it for less than $150k. If you were Jeff (built by) - sure. If not, probably no. Owning any car is not necessarily about the $$. Some opinions here are like wine appreciation. You might know what you like but it really doesn’t matter to the next person. Zag built cars will also appreciate over time. We’re not all quite so uptight about what we spend money on. If the market actually depended on what you or I thought (not particularly me), Every old car would be $100k or less, 109% straight, no rust, low kms and never been tracked. Go figure?

15 hours ago, SWC3.0 said:

Spot on, I looked at the white one that was at the Healy factory and was pretty keen.

Then popped up the C3.0 I have now that had been through a few hands ( Skidmarks , Armage and 9er).

If we are talking about the same car I was the guy who got the white 3.2 '86 from Healey Factory.  

52 minutes ago, cafe_racer said:

If we are talking about the same car I was the guy who got the white 3.2 '86 from Healey Factory.  

Cafe racer , one I was looking at was a white Zag back date, around 2 years ago maybe March 2018 for $100k.

Think it was a Japan delivered 3.2 with an engine rebuild IIRC, so don’t think it was you car?

If search on my posts from years ago - that Viper Green car has been passed around more than a Kardashian - I could have bought it years ago in the $50's - it needed work, no idea what they have done to it mechanically. Nice enough hotrod but that asking price is piss funny

To be clear - I believe Zag built a good car, it had been through some owners who were not true enthusiasts and mechanically it wasn't looked after (post zag) - 10 years later who knows, but the interior hasnt been touched

Many of the Zag cars were out of Japan, the viper car is a left hooker converted Jap car

46 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

If search on my posts from years ago - that Viper Green car has been passed around more than a Kardashian - I could have bought it years ago in the $50's - it needed work, no idea what they have done to it mechanically. Nice enough hotrod but that asking price is piss funny

To be clear - I believe Zag built a good car, it had been through some owners who were not true enthusiasts and mechanically it wasn't looked after (post zag) - 10 years later who knows, but the interior hasnt been touched

Many of the Zag cars were out of Japan, the viper car is a left hooker converted Jap car

Dave they are all Virgins when we buy them , all sins erased 😀

When you drink enough beer or read enough forum bull they all start to look pretty 

Those cheap pretty ones were also stroked by the hand of the hot air bubble it seems 

2 hours ago, Proud Member said:

No I don’t have to have a backdate. A viper green 3.2 or sc would be perfect. 

What about viper green E

52 minutes ago, symsy said:

Dave they are all Virgins when we buy them , all sins erased 😀

When you drink enough beer or read enough forum bull they all start to look pretty 

Those cheap pretty ones were also stroked by the hand of the hot air bubble it seems 

are people now Holding Latest gen Low noise Dyson’s? 

16 hours ago, symsy said:

Stay away from the Tangerine car that was on the floor at the same time unless someone’s done some serious repairs to the underside .. 

My question .. what would u buy it for ? 

1 bid what would you pop on it ? Knowing I want it ? 

This was on a 964 donor ?

1 hour ago, Bondiscwb said:

"Tastefully" is in the eye of the beholder, @OBRUT. Once my wb SC finally gets here (why does it take a car transporter 3 weeks from Perth to Sydney???), it's slightly used cashmere beige metallic cover demands something done! 

Nah, roll with the Singapore gold. I seriously believe you could make something very cool with that.  

I had a metallic gold Ferrari 308 - it was a showstopper. 

25 minutes ago, Proud Member said:

I like that idea 💡 

And funnily enough, I just sold a viper green 73 911E.  

My tarmac rally car was delivered Conda green.  I will take it back to that one day. 

17 minutes ago, OBRUT said:

Nah, roll with the Singapore gold. I seriously believe you could make something very cool with that.  

I had a metallic gold Ferrari 308 - it was a showstopper. 

And funnily enough, I just sold a viper green 73 911E.  

My tarmac rally car was delivered Conda green.  I will take it back to that one day. 

The 73 E would have been fab

On 19/07/2020 at 21:45, Proud Member said:

Thanks for all the helpful comments on the zag car. It sounds like it’s well known. 
I’ll have to wait a little longer to satisfy my viper green itch. I suspect the seller won’t entertain an offer in the low 100s so I’ll pass on this one. 
If anyone hears of another I’d be interested. 

Here is the car when I was looking at it - found the photo on my phone, 2014 was the year - the ask was low $60s not including the plates, I offered 55k from memory and walked away. 

Struggle to see how its worth more than $100k today - its a converted LHD Jap car with repro seats and a stock motor, cool as it is, you can do a lot of paint and body work for $100k +

IMG_7657.JPG

50 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

Here is the car when I was looking at it - found the photo on my phone, 2014 was the year - the ask was low $60s not including the plates, I offered 55k from memory and walked away. 

Struggle to see how its worth more than $100k today - its a converted LHD Jap car with repro seats and a stock motor, cool as it is, you can do a lot of paint and body work for $100k +

I have always liked the though of a backdate but agree they are tough to price.

Some of the cars used for longhood backdates were also cabs with a roof welded on, so if a converted car with a roof welded on would make a great gandpa's axe variety.. :)

1 hour ago, Ozvino said:

IMG_7657.JPG

0EF122EF-A3A7-4419-B458-E7032D9DF70F.jpeg

On 20/07/2020 at 07:18, Turra said:

As someone who is currently having a backdate built by zag, I am particularly interested in having a car that is pretty much rebuilt, beautifully painted and drives like it might have when new. (Faster, quieter, softer as a daily) Could you do it for less than $150k. If you were Jeff (built by) - sure. If not, probably no. Owning any car is not necessarily about the $$. Some opinions here are like wine appreciation. You might know what you like but it really doesn’t matter to the next person. Zag built cars will also appreciate over time. We’re not all quite so uptight about what we spend money on. If the market actually depended on what you or I thought (not particularly me), Every old car would be $100k or less, 109% straight, no rust, low kms and never been tracked. Go figure?

If you were just doing a cosmetic backdate on the body, you could probably do it for around $20-30k if you are starting with a reasonable base (less for DIY). Even doing my car all myself was still far from cheap, even with sponsors free or discounted parts. I didn't keep track of the exact cost (because I didn't want to know), and thousands of hours work, but I think I am into mine around $80k and that includes buying the original car for $16k. Good luck finding another compete car for that price today.