Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

1 hour ago, luzzo said:

Do you know the car Symsy?

Possibly the garage find that Michel unearthed with a motor I find with one of the motors that I donated to one of his builds from my old buying frenzy days ... looks like it and fresh paint to ... come on someone in Melb should buy it and polish it ,.... the buy to banter and bullshit ratio on the thread needs rebalancing 

Michels got a nice bare metal built car in the stash that’s nearly a match for our 85k Gseries too ..  Targa at 75 is good buying for a car with good paint and solid bare metalled  shell 

I think u will find the old guard here have deep black books and memories like elephants 😊

5 hours ago, James P said:

If my garage wasn't so full i would be a buyer for sure 

Mate well atleast your not a part of the rumour mill , I have been told there are 5 different PFA players all on  it and there’s a queue for it ...   weird that it’s still up for sale , 

I have heard these stories so many times on so many cars meanwhile it’s been locked away in a new owners garage , sometimes mine or already on a truck as of yesterday 

Maybe the owner just loves the way we lube up the outlook on his sale 😀 I hope the dude sells it anyway . If anyone wants a nice early car 73 let me know ..

24 minutes ago, symsy said:

Mate well atleast your not a part of the rumour mill , I have been told there are 5 different PFA players all on  it and there’s a queue for it ...   weird that it’s still up for sale , 

I have heard these stories so many times on so many cars meanwhile it’s been locked away in a new owners garage , sometimes mine or already on a truck as of yesterday 

Maybe the owner just loves the way we lube up the outlook on his sale 😀 I hope the dude sells it anyway . If anyone wants a nice early car 73 let me know ..

So you are selling a 73?

On 23/07/2020 at 06:21, WOKA said:

85k, seemed reasonable for the file of receipts that came with it including engine and gearbox rebuild in the last 60k, all suspension and brakes redone and upgraded, same owner for the last 13 years etc etc. Matching numbers.

Nothing else on the market compares really. You could possibly call it cheap, or maybe the other are overpriced..

Well there you go. That pretty much sums up my current dilemma with the current market. 

I think that was priced at exactly what the car should have sold for and it did. No hassle quick sale. 

You've got SC's and other 3.2s on carsales $40-$60k more with no rebuiids of either the gearbox or engine, lead alone both. Very hard to justify. Might need to check back in in another few years haha. I don't think I'll be buying anything any time soon unfortunately, given the above, but who knows.

2 hours ago, rminc said:

Well there you go. That pretty much sums up my current dilemma with the current market. 

I think that was priced at exactly what the car should have sold for and it did. No hassle quick sale. 

You've got SC's and other 3.2s on carsales $40-$60k more with no rebuiids of either the gearbox or engine, lead alone both. Very hard to justify. Might need to check back in in another few years haha. I don't think I'll be buying anything any time soon unfortunately, given the above, but who knows.

I’d have to disagree a little .... I think it sold too cheap and thats why it went quickly.

One of 2 thing happened ... I dont think the owner knew the market and underpriced it or he wanted a quick sale and underpriced it. Either way, it was too cheap.

I dont believe it was priced right.

I had my 911 for 7 - 8 years and the buyers have always said the same thing when a car has been underpriced / overpriced ... it should be cheaper or they’re asking too much ... as a current buyer, I am going through the same thought process while looking for my next car, Porsche and non Porsche.

What was that car actually worth I hear you ask?? ... in my opinion $95k -$100k and possibly a bit more if it had been a more desirable colour inside and out ...

I agree with you dreamr, the car was underpriced to the market. Wanted a quick sale (fair enough I do that too sometimes) or was not totally up with the market. Quick sale is a good sale but also makes for hasty buying decisions that can mask underlying problems with a car. The red 73 is a good example right now. Well priced if it’s a great car, ok even if it’s a good car. 

35 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

I’d have to disagree a little .... I think it sold too cheap and thats why it went quickly.

One of 2 thing happened ... I dont think the owner knew the market and underpriced it or he wanted a quick sale and underpriced it. Either way, it was too cheap.

I had my 911 for 7 - 8 years and the buyers have always said the same thing when a car has been underpriced / overpriced ... it should be cheaper or they’re asking too much ... as a current buyer, I am going through the same thought process while looking for my next car, Porsche and non Porsche.

What was that car actually worth I hear you ask?? ... in my opinion $95k -$100k and possibly a bit more if it had been a more desirable colour inside and out ...

Yep.  100%.

What are you looking for next Dreamr?

The whole COVID thing adds an extra dimension of shenanigans to the buying process. For me, a car in Victoria or Queensland might as well be on the moon. 

I’ve sourced a g series car from a dealer which I should get in the next few weeks. Is it a bargain?  Certainly not ! But it is sorted and ticks all my boxes and I won’t loose my underpants when I sell it in a few years. Time and enjoyment are more important for me than the relentless pursuit of an elusive bargain. 

10 minutes ago, Proud Member said:

Yep.  100%.

What are you looking for next Dreamr?

To be honest, I’m not quite sure yet ... but I do know that it has to be a lot more modern than “the old piece of crap” I just sold ... (my wife’s words of wisdom, not mine) ... probably should have got rid of her instead ... :Chuckle2:

Been looking at more modern Porsche’s(996/997), Audi R8’s, Aston Martins, etc ... but nothing on the market has jumped out yet ... 😥

1 hour ago, Dreamr said:

Even if you tack on another $10-$15k and say it should have sold for that, the gap is still large compared with everything that's currently advertised. $25k-40k is all I'm trying to say without and of the work that this one's has done. By the time you factor in engine, gearbox, suspension and a respray you're not too far off $80-$100k I'd say? 

The top for me personally is $100k for a tidy SC, or G series (I would prefer a G series), without a rebuild of gearbox, suspension, engine etc, above $100k for me I'd want to see some work done. That's just me though and what I want to spend, others might pay less, or more. I think my budget is pretty healthy, but who knows. 

I'll keep lurking in the shadows and see if anything comes up. 

11 minutes ago, rminc said:

Even if you tack on another $10-$15k and say it should have sold for that, the gap is still large compared with everything that's currently advertised. $25k-40k is all I'm trying to say without and of the work that this one's has done. By the time you factor in engine, gearbox, suspension and a respray you're not too far off $80-$100k I'd say? 

The top for me personally is $100k for a tidy SC, or G series (I would prefer a G series), without a rebuild of gearbox, suspension, engine etc, above $100k for me I'd want to see some work done. That's just me though and what I want to spend, others might pay less, or more. I think my budget is pretty healthy, but who knows. 

I'll keep lurking in the shadows and see if anything comes up. 

Your budget is healthy ... no doubt about that. You should and will find something in that budget. I was only commenting on your earlier post that the Gold one was the right price. I personally think he listed it too cheap.

As you’re aware, I just sold my SC ... it sold really quickly but .. had it been the original colour, I would have asked for more, and it still would have sold quite quickly as everything else was right about the car.

I completely understand what you are saying about others on the market being overpriced, and they are, but experience shows that those who wait are still saying they’re overpriced years later ... and they’ve risen crazily in price since ..

You are definitely looking for the right kind of car ... the G series which ran from 1974 through 1989 are probably the most sought after model Porsche produced .. there used to be a rivalry between the 3.0 SC and the 3.2 Carrera. The Carrera was far more sought after but that now seems to have changed and both seem to be on an even keel.

2 hours ago, rminc said:

The SC is a G series ;) . G series refers to basically all of the impact bumper cars like @Dreamr mentioned. I think you are referring to the 3.2 Carrera's or possibly the last of the 3.2s with the G50 gearbox :D

2 hours ago, Dreamr said:

there used to be a rivalry between the 3.0 SC and the 3.2 Carrera. The Carrera was far more sought after but that now seems to have changed and both seem to be on an even keel.

Totally agree Ronnie. The more I see on line and read here motivates me to list mine. Now it’s totally sorted (and well documented) it should appeal to buyers. Pricing it is the challenge atm. 

3 hours ago, Proud Member said:

The whole COVID thing adds an extra dimension of shenanigans to the buying process. For me, a car in Victoria or Queensland might as well be on the moon. 

Agree and certainly could be a factor short term with closed boarders and buying interstate. Not sure if this detracts on a slightly overpriced car for a local buyer or Lack of supply on a well sorted car adds the premium. 
That’s my conundrum around listing, that and being Porscheless for a period of time until I can track down the next one.

7 hours ago, rminc said:

.... I've driven both and if anything the 915 is more of a drivers car,..... 

Really? 

I guess you can say it has a more "analogue" feel as the shift feel and effort is much more variable than a G50. 

Does that make it a more "drivers car"?  I don't think so.  

There is a good reason why Porsche moved to the G50 and that no one uses the ancient 915 propriety synchromesh system any more.

I don't miss a 915 when a G50 is just so nice to use, consistent, lighter action and quicker shift.

I'm not saying not to buy a 915 car or that I will never own a 915 car again, just don't let the "visceral" crowd of wankers fool you into a falsehood.

Buy the best G model you can find and afford, irrespective of the gearbox type and it will make you happy.

6 hours ago, tomo said:

Some of the high k 996 prices are only a couple of grand from the TT

I seems to me the 996TT has to be the best bang for the $ in the entire 911 range at the moment?