996 GT3 Purchase

1 hour ago, Skidmarks said:

Just some random data.  2 997.1 GT3 RS’s sold last week for around 370K.  And no, mine was not one of them. 

although 'we don't care' ( or maybe just a bit...) ...I do!  What colours / any other details? 

20 hours ago, rminc said:

What are the general servicing and maintenance costs associated with a 996 GT3? 

Are they prone to have certain issues, as they're 20 years old now? Curious as opposed to the older aircooled cars. 

As many have said, they are actually very easy to live with! 

Two things in my experience that will increase your costs are:

1. Track usage - but the same can be said for any car that is tracked, mainly tyres/brakes/servicing/regular alignments 
  2. Motor or transmission - I am yet to pull a motor, but I have had a transmission out and if you do, don't expect much change from $10k (see 3) 
  3. Mods - Seats, Cage, Aero, gear ratios, suspension etc... I did a bunch of those on my 997 and it is not cheap, if you think  you will seriously track it, wait for a CS because the interior parts such as seats/cage are very hard to come by and expensive when you do... the LSD is pretty lousy in them from factory, but there is a number of options and not all are pricey, the Guard Transmission rebuild for the OEM unit is brilliant and not too expensive.

Very easy cars to live with in my experience... driving them frequently is good practice too! ( Says he who hasn't even started it for a while :lol: )

4 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

Just some random data.  2 997.1 GT3 RS’s sold last week for around 370K.  And no, mine was not one of them. 

This is good to know... I have not seen a public listing (well serious one) in a long while! 

58 minutes ago, GTP911 said:

Hi Hugh, is this your old car?

1999 Porsche 911 996 GT3 CS Black | Classic Throttle Shop

Black | Coupé | 6 Speed Manual | 3.6 litre | 52,750 kms | AU$259,995

Yup, that’s my old car. Anyone interested, the radio code is 5125. ;)

1 hour ago, GTP911 said:

Hi Hugh, is this your old car?

1999 Porsche 911 996 GT3 CS Black | Classic Throttle Shop

Black | Coupé | 6 Speed Manual | 3.6 litre | 52,750 kms | AU$259,995

So 2 996 GT3's on the market and both are asking north of $250K ! Wondering where the buy price will be.........

Not expensive when factor in what Aussie Muscle is selling for. Still a great value proposition at this price point.

Not sure they got the description quite right in the ad - fried eggs is MK1, MK2 is eggs over easy for the US market 😂 

5 minutes ago, Jason A said:

Not expensive when factor in what Aussie Muscle is selling for. Still a great value proposition at this price point.

Not sure they got the description quite right in the ad - fried eggs is MK1, MK2 is eggs over easy for the US market 😂 

Mk2 is batwings. Kinda topical 🇨🇳

21 minutes ago, Jason A said:

SA has the highest sports car ownership per capita in the country 

Yes yes ~ my father was the Benz dealer here and sold more AMG’s per capita than almost anywhere else. I understand our local Porsche GT sales were similar until quotas started to come in