996 GT3 Purchase

4 hours ago, symsy said:

Sunburnt opportunist alright , why on earth wold you pay that when u can pay 310k for a UK RS at retail and import it later/shortly , RHD with 16,000kms on it ...

There is no logic to the premium that an Australian delivered car attracts in the Australian Porsche market. Never has been, never will be. 

3 hours ago, hugh said:

Pure bliss. Have you got a cup final drive in that @hugh? Gears seem nice and short compared to mine below. Love it. I need a single mass flywheel in my life.

4 hours ago, wilson59 said:

$310 K here or still in the UK ?This one looks nice 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265206401872?hash=item3dbf888b50:g:yUsAAOSw~oFg1F~-

there and you could knock em down .. there isnt no stay home, motorsport addiction support programs, no job keep allowance in the UK to pay for the brake pads , tyres and petrol 

7 hours ago, spiller said:

There is no logic to the premium that an Australian delivered car attracts in the Australian Porsche market. Never has been, never will be. 

Pure bliss. Have you got a cup final drive in that @hugh? Gears seem nice and short compared to mine below. Love it. I need a single mass flywheel in my life.

Think that is Peter in my old car you are chasing .

17 hours ago, symsy said:

So a bad car stalls the discussion or the price tag $280k. , good to know theres a cap to the madness?

That is what happens when you think one sale defines the market, as you know it doesn't! 

The speed yellow 996.1 CS @ CTS was an exception with only 11,000kms... even the asking of $289k is just an ask, knowing them though, they probably got within $10-20k of that? 

I can see maybe breaking $200k for the silver GT3 non-cs if someone was coming in hot off the back off a good realestate sale... but $200k has to be a point of resistance. 

40 minutes ago, edgy said:

That is what happens when you think one sale defines the market, as you know it doesn't! 

The speed yellow 996.1 CS @ CTS was an exception with only 11,000kms... even the asking of $289k is just an ask, knowing them though, they probably got within $10-20k of that? 

I can see maybe breaking $200k for the silver GT3 non-cs if someone was coming in hot off the back off a good realestate sale... but $200k has to be a point of resistance. 

Remembering the 56K guards red non CS advertised by autohaus at 199K sold within 20 minutes. Is there that much of a premium on red? I shared a garage at the bend with a previous owner of the red car who sold it in 2015 for 100K. He was really happy to hear what I sold for this year😀

5 hours ago, spiller said:

Remembering the 56K guards red non CS advertised by autohaus at 199K sold within 20 minutes. Is there that much of a premium on red? I shared a garage at the bend with a previous owner of the red car who sold it in 2015 for 100K. He was really happy to hear what I sold for this year😀

Again $199k being the asking, you just don’t know where the deal was done without the first hand information…but there is certainly support around $200k I just don’t see many examples being able to break it… you can buy the Dutton GT2 for $290k for arguments  sake! 😂

14 minutes ago, edgy said:

Again $199k being the asking, you just don’t know where the deal was done without the first hand information…but there is certainly support around $200k I just don’t see many examples being able to break it… you can buy the Dutton GT2 for $290k for arguments  sake! 😂

Yep very true. Although sold in 20 minutes would suggest very close to, if not at asking. The GT2 market is a strange one. Give their rarity, they should be far more valuable, but they don’t seem to be flaming hot like the 3s at the moment. Good buying to be had for the boost addicts. 

6 minutes ago, spiller said:

Yep very true. Although sold in 20 minutes would suggest very close to, if not at asking. The GT2 market is a strange one. Give their rarity, they should be far more valuable, but they don’t seem to be flaming hot like the 3s at the moment. Good buying to be had for the boost addicts. 

I agree!

Porsche Turbo's seem to be an odd market, they always seem to run hot and cold... look at 993's for arguments sake & 930's! 

25 minutes ago, rminc said:

What are the general servicing and maintenance costs associated with a 996 GT3? 

Are they prone to have certain issues, as they're 20 years old now? Curious as opposed to the older aircooled cars. 

Annual service at an Indy is around $4-500. Porsche will be $800. Major service every 4 years $1K at an Indy and $1800ish at Porsche. Serpentine belt, fuel filter are six year services and not expensive. Gearbox synchros can wear on the heavily tracked cars (bigger issue on the Mk1), that can be an expensive job. The LSDs are rubbish on all of them but not a problem unless you plan on doing a lots of track driving. Ignition coils can also begin to crack after all these years, approx $450 for a set of six. You read lots about coolant fitting failures on the US forums but it’s not a widely discussed issue in Aus, perhaps due to low vehicle numbers.

All in all they’re a solid car with very reasonable maintenance costs given their value. 

53 minutes ago, spiller said:

All in all they’re a solid car with very reasonable maintenance costs given their value. 

Agree.  Cheaper to run than wife’s daily Beemer.  Yet her car is losing value & the P car seems to keep going up!  (Rightly or wrongly my thinking is that this kinda off-sets any additional costs I might incur on the GT3). 
4 years in, it seems pretty bulletproof.  

4 hours ago, rminc said:

Are they prone to have certain issues, as they're 20 years old now? Curious as opposed to the older aircooled cars. 

You’d struggle to find another car that would provide the reliability (including frequent track work) for the associated running costs.

Probably only slightly higher running cost to an earlier AC car as the GT3 being a bit heavier is thirstier on fuel, brakes and tyres + 18” tyres are slightly more expensive than the 15” I have on my earlier cars. 

11 minutes ago, hugh said:

You’d struggle to find another car that would provide the reliability (including frequent track work) for the associated running costs.

Probably only slightly higher running cost to an earlier AC car as the GT3 being a bit heavier is thirstier on fuel, brakes and tyres + 18” tyres are slightly more expensive than the 15” I have on my earlier cars. 

And the reality is, at the moment cost of GT3 ownership is probably Nil over the life of ownership, as any costs you incur will most likely be offset by increase in value.  After only 18 months of ownership I reckon I'm still quite a bit in front, despite my recent clutch & flywheel replacement....

On 21/07/2021 at 15:19, edgy said:

I agree!

Porsche Turbo's seem to be an odd market, they always seem to run hot and cold... look at 993's for arguments sake & 930's! 

It wasn't that long ago that that circa 290k, would get you up a digit on the totem pole in terms of gt2 with a half (after market) roll cage.  

15 hours ago, rminc said:

Given they hardly get driven they are super cheap to run

15 hours ago, spiller said:

Annual service at an Indy is around $4-500. Porsche will be $800. Major service every 4 years $1K at an Indy and $1800ish at Porsche. Serpentine belt, fuel filter are six year services and not expensive. Gearbox synchros can wear on the heavily tracked cars (bigger issue on the Mk1), that can be an expensive job. The LSDs are rubbish on all of them but not a problem unless you plan on doing a lots of track driving. Ignition coils can also begin to crack after all these years, approx $450 for a set of six. You read lots about coolant fitting failures on the US forums but it’s not a widely discussed issue in Aus, perhaps due to low vehicle numbers.

Thats a very good summation as I remember  

A new diff like this will liven things up i put one of these in mine and it transformed the car road and track. If you get serious on he track you can also adjust clamping pressures etc. 

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod6273/Differential-for-Quick-Acceleration-Porsche-996-GT3/