996 GT3 Purchase

On 14/10/2022 at 11:50, SFZOOM said:

Yes...I also believe it is the same car as Autohaus had.....giveaway is the mileage and the aftermarket lift kit.

It was daily driven by the original owner who sold it through Autohaus, so goes the story.

I think we agreed a few pages back this was the car Autohaus sold around August 2020 for $120k…. I’m sure it would sell again quickly listed for that 😜

In an effort to provide a (hopefully useful) first hand insight, based on my records to date, the 996.2 RS has typically been around 100% premium over a non RS - I don't have and data to suggest that a non RS is worth circa 30% of an RS as suggested above. 

In early 2020 when I purchased my RS, 996 GT3's were still sitting typically in the 150 - 180k range - there was an outlier at 200k+ but that was a very premium low km example. At the time, there were 3 x 996RS for sale and they ranged from low to mid 300's, and from what I understand, they all sold within close to their asking. 

Things seem to have settled down a bit now, but mid to late last year 966 GT3's were transacting at low to mid 200's, so, based on my data that would price an RS within the 400 range - low to high pending condition, kms etc. UK 996RS pricing data is a little lower than this but as we know, we do pay a premium for cars here. Pricing has also softened a little so maybe they will dip back into the 3's (noting a well used 997RS isn't moving at a current asking of 450k on CS) so maybe that's another indicator.

Although I do note, with so few sales of these cars locally, it is really hard to price them based historical data - just comes down to buyers and sellers being happy I guess. Hard to know what anything is really "worth" at the moment. 

I’m unsure what value I should place on the numerous wonderful sightings of you punting your RS around the track, but I do feel that taking a passenger lap with you at Winton is a 100% premium over those mental pictures I took. After I regained my jelly belly come turns 1,2&3 it was sure special.

5 hours ago, hugh said:

In an effort to provide a (hopefully useful) first hand insight, based on my records to date, the 996.2 RS has typically been around 100% premium over a non RS - I don't have and data to suggest that a non RS is worth circa 30% of an RS as suggested above. 

In early 2020 when I purchased my RS, 996 GT3's were still sitting typically in the 150 - 180k range - there was an outlier at 200k+ but that was a very premium low km example. At the time, there were 3 x 996RS for sale and they ranged from low to mid 300's, and from what I understand, they all sold within close to their asking. 

Things seem to have settled down a bit now, but mid to late last year 966 GT3's were transacting at low to mid 200's, so, based on my data that would price an RS within the 400 range - low to high pending condition, kms etc. UK 996RS pricing data is a little lower than this but as we know, we do pay a premium for cars here. Pricing has also softened a little so maybe they will dip back into the 3's (noting a well used 997RS isn't moving at a current asking of 450k on CS) so maybe that's another indicator.

Although I do note, with so few sales of these cars locally, it is really hard to price them based historical data - just comes down to buyers and sellers being happy I guess. Hard to know what anything is really "worth" at the moment. 

Very comprehensive. Thanks Hugh. 

On 19/01/2023 at 20:35, hugh said:

Well summarised @hugh

Your numbers stack up to me, and I was just having the conversation last night with my mate regarding prices in the UK (he’s EU based and close the subject) The 996 RS seems to come at a small premium to the 997.1 RS, where as the delta for 997.2 is also massive, as we see in Australia too. 

I do find myself in a quandary lately about what to with my garage ornament… perhaps another season of Porsche club sprints should be on the agenda, or sell it? 

44 minutes ago, edgy said:

Well summarised @hugh

Your numbers stack up to me, and I was just having the conversation last night with my mate regarding prices in the UK (he’s EU based and close the subject) The 996 RS seems to come at a small premium to the 997.1 RS, where as the delta for 997.2 is also massive, as we see in Australia too. 

I do find myself in a quandary lately about what to with my garage ornament… perhaps another season of Porsche club sprints should be on the agenda, or sell it? 

My mum used to say with food when in doubt throw out- if you’ve typed the words sell it means the lust has diminished- why not sell and get something else to play with and some change? 

10 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

That is lovely spec... if it went sub $200k I would probably punt my 997 C2 and buy it to daily drive lol 

On 22/01/2023 at 21:52, Peter John said:

why not sell and get something else to play with and some change? 

I've battled with this thought, and have even as much been contacted to sell it this week, $$ was strong but yet I cannot bare to part with it... so I've done the only logical thing and ordered A050's and going to the track = decision made. :)